• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleep Paralysis is Horrible

AnotherOne

Literally the worst fuckin thing ever, I get it on a somewhat regular basis, happened last night I could hear my girlfriend breathing in her sleep next to me and all I could do is lay there helpless and in my mind I'm trying to make any sound or movement begging her so she can wake me up, anyone else here experience sleep paralysis that can share some episodes? or thoughts on it.

MilkyJoe

Literally the worst fuckin thing ever, I get it on a somewhat regular basis, happened last night I could hear my girlfriend breathing in her sleep next to me and all I could do is lay there helpless and in my mind I'm trying to make any sound or movement begging her so she can wake me up, anyone else here experience sleep paralysis that can share some episodes? or thoughts on it.

Yep It's the worst. The duvet feels like it is crushing and trapping me and I cannot move, I cannot scream, trying to get help from someone. Crippling claustrophobia exacerbates this shit, infinitely.

I feel your pain, bru

lil puff

It most certainly is.
I just try to calm myself a bit and try to naturally get myself out of it.

Relative to this timewise, I've been having crazy REM nightmares this week all about death.

Someone started shooting at a park and I got shot in the back and crawled into this shed.
While I thought I was dying, I wondered if it was a dream, and it wasn't. Usually I wake up right there.
I tried to wake up and couldn't, it was real.

I had a bit of paralysis, woke up. I was so relieved.

nkarafo

I sometimes dream about flying, being well aware it's a dream and i feel an unbearable pressure in my head during this. So i try to wake up and i find it difficult, the only way i can do it is to make a sudden move like a twitch or something.

Is this related?

lil puff

Do you sleep on your back? It’s the reason. I’m sure you do

I stopped sleeping on my back waaaay long ago
I sleep on my side. I rarely get it, but occasionally I do.

It, for me is generally if I have not been sleeping well days before.

Mista

Banned
I sleep on my side. I rarely get it, but occasionally I do.

It, for me is generally if I have not been sleeping well days before.
Yes this is normal. I get that too if I haven't slept well and super exhausted
Even though its the best sleeping position (sleeping on your back) but fuck that

I can't remember ever having this. I sleep on my belly, if that matters.

My sister's been suffering from it recently. Says she sees bugs crawling all over her, giant saws coming at her and that kinda thing. Sounds like it's difficult to 'cure' as well.

Rran

Only had it once before but it was terrifying. There are apparently a few different versions of it; I didn't have the one where you're technically awake (eyes open) but "see" some sort of shadow and can't move. Rather, mine was more like a really intense nightmare that I knew was a nightmare but I couldn't "escape" it due to not being able to move. I imagine both are awful in their own ways; I'd liken my experience to some sort of psychological torture.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I had that a few times in my life. The first time as a kid and it was scary as hell . . . I wish this to no one. Worst thing that can happen.

Mista

Banned
No i sleep on my side but I guess during sleep I end up on my back :/
This is the problem. I read years ago that sleeping on the back is the healthiest position but fuck that if I’m getting choked and feeling like there’s and elephant sitting on my chest

belmarduk

I had a chuckle at the Opinion tag this thread has gotten.
Anyone who has had sleep paralysis will tell you its horrible, I can't imagine anyone liking it.

royox

I sleep on my back.

One of the worst Sleep paralysis i remember Is one where I couldn't move or see but I could feel and HEAR children laughting by my side, of course all that with the usual "was trying to scream, move, etc but couldn't".

Now when i get one of those I manage to keep calm just by thinking "it's this shit again, let's get rid of it fast", the worst thing you can do is stressing cause your brain will grant you with fear and panic.

Yes this is horrible. For years I thought I literally saw a ghost and it made me start believing in them until I realized it was just sleep paralysis years later. Scary as hell when you don't know what you're experiencing.

H4ze

Yeah I know them just too good unfortunately, getting them every now and then, but somehow I got used to them over the years, now they don't even bother me anymore.

MacReady13

I had it bad one night. There was someone walking around in my room right near my bed! I was watching them and they were getting closer. It was the scariest shit I've ever seen and then I woke up still thinking the shadow was in my room. I turned my TV on and realized there was no one there. I stayed awake the rest of the night I was so terrified.
Now I get SP every now and then and I've somehow worked out that i'm in "it" and can get a part of my body to move and wake up straight away.

Jinroh

Nah once you become aware of it it's fine, it becomes some cool hallucinatory experience.

The best one is when you feel like you're slipping off the bed, you really feel like moving even though you know you aren't. Feels like someone is pulling you by the feet.

When I used to get it there would be a shadowy figure standing at the foot of my bed who just laughed at me. Fucked me up good.

lil puff

Nah once you become aware of it it's fine, it becomes some cool hallucinatory experience.

The best one is when you feel like you're slipping off the bed, you really feel like moving even though you know you aren't. Feels like someone is pulling you by the feet.
Good idea.

Once you realize it's happening, maybe try to enjoy it.
Heck, maybe even start to look forward to having them.

TindalosPup

Disordered sleep is never an enjoyable experience. I had sleep paralysis coupled with hallucinations of spiders falling on me and/or spiderwebs surrounding me when I was 19. I had to cut my caffeine intake, which helped reduce the occurrences. Still happens, though, and now I never enter deep sleep, just shallow rest with constant REM, as a result I'm always drowsy and ready for a nap.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have that very rarely, usually paired with a nightmare of some sort.
I remember trying to scream but nothing comes out until i finally get some moans out and my wife wakes me.
Horrible feeling, so i am glad i usually do t have it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Never had this happen to me. Closest I've had is the feeling of trying to move my hands/arms while dreaming and feeling like they were super weak.

Pimpbaa

Used to happen to me all the time. For some reason high pillows cause it for me (seemed to go away with flatter pillows).

Fret Runner

The sleep paralysis we want.
ezgif-com-crop-4.gif

Vs The sleep paralysis we get.
0fbNzni.gif

kiiltz

I legit thought I was visited by a demon or alien the first time it happened to me and my friends laughed at me >>>>>>;[

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Most likely seek sleep improvements and develop better sleeping patterns, something like room temperature or what you eat before bed could help.

Grinchy

Banned
For some reason mine got better the second I discovered what it was. The understanding of it just took the fear part away while it was happening.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Had mine for over 20 years. Sometimes twice a night. Protip don't nap, work out and leave the tv on. It helps sometimes.
Do you sleep on your back? It’s the reason. I’m sure you do

I stopped sleeping on my back waaaay long ago
I sleep on my sides still get em.

Mista

Banned
There is likely something wrong with my head if my brain stays half awake most nights.
I have this issue too and I also have this shit where when I wake up it’s like I was never sleeping. Wide awake like if I was awake and not asleep

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have this issue too and I also have this shit where when I wake up it’s like I was never sleeping. Wide awake like if I was awake and not asleep
Keep fighting it. Eventually you don't feel fear and can wake up from it faster. Might be trauma (hit) related. Some people try meditation but I'm not sure it works.

Airola

When I had these experiences, these were the things that happened:

-Feeling wide awake, not being able to move.
-Whispers and voices from around me.
-Footsteps around me.
-A sudden sensation of me starting to float out of my body.
-Feeling of imminent DEATH if I let myself float too far from my body.
-That feeling of death feels the most real thing ever and it scares me more than anything ever before. The feeling of death feels like the truest thing ever.
-Trying to move my fingers one at a time, starting from little finger.
-Eventually I get to move all of my fingers and I'm able to move again.

These started to happen to me in the late 90's. I didn't know what it was all about. Some years later I managed to find information about it online when using some search engine for "can't move while awake" and "floating out of body" or something like that. At that point I didn't know if there were others who had experienced something like that and thought I might be alone with that. I was glad to find some discussion forum where sleep paralysis was mentioned.

Back then there wasn't that much information about it yet, but I read all I could about it. It was interesting to read someone saying if you let yourself float off from your body it feels really amazing and it really feels as if you float up in the air and you can even control where you go. I was never able to even try going that far with it because the feeling of "certain death" was way too strong and I had to fight against floating when I felt I was up only in height where the nose of my physical body would be right about where the neck of my "floating" body was or a bit above that.

I have no reason to doubt those who say they have felt they have floated way up there out of their bodies as I have experienced a bit of that and even that amount of floating REALLY felt like I was getting removed from by body.

I've never seen any dark figures (luckily!) but I can't really doubt those experiences either as the whispers and voices I've heard feel very real too. Hearing things and feeling that I'm floating out of my body doesn't make me surprised at all if people say they've seen figures while having this experience.

Easily the most horrific thing that has ever happened to me (emphasis on horrific). I was convinced I was possessed by an entity until I re-searched it hard after it happened (2009-ish). Only happened to me once and I would never wish it upon anyone so I feel for you OP! I think it hit me around a time where I was stressed, was getting laid off of jobs and didn't really have a direction, all the while dating my then girlfriend (now wife) where the pressure was amounting. Rough time and I feel it corresponded with that. I remember it vividly. I felt like something was literally sitting on my chest and/or holding me down with mighty force. Felt dark. I remember being awake and trying to scream but couldn't muster any type of noise whatsoever. It lasted maybe a minute but felt like hours. It just felt petrifying and can't imagine having it on a regular basis.

Gargus

Banned
I've had it happen 3 or 4 times in my life. I feel like I'm stuck in a nightmare that's worse than any I've had before and with a strong sense of irrational terror. I don't know how to explain it other than I felt like some demon or evil spirit was there.

It sucks at the moment but after it's over I enjoy it because it's such an intense feeling that in some weird way it's kind of cool to feel something so intensely that it goes beyond what I am capable of feeling when I am conscious. It's such a unique feeling that its interesting to me.

Last edited:

Scotty W

I have a friend who used to get it sometimes. He says that he would see demons. Anyone ever see a demon?

Top Bottom