• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleep Paralysis is Horrible

Pallas

Gold Member
I actually have it chronically, it’s very random, I can go without experiencing it for a month or so and then end up having it multiple times in the same day and it usually happens when I enter R.E.M sleep. It can be pretty terrifying, especially the hallucinations, audible and vision. Have to try your best to relax, easier said than done though but you have to try. Your movements take all the effort to just move an inch and everything you say is just incoherent mumbling.

I have a friend who used to get it sometimes. He says that he would see demons. Anyone ever see a demon?

When I first started experiencing it back in high school I’d always see this swirling black mass, like a black fog or mist, and I slept in the dark but it was still noticeable, anyway it would eventually converge into a figure. The sense of dread and fear was unreal.

Last edited:
I use to have this almost nightly, when I was in my twenties. I can tell you from experience, that it actually goes beyond just the feeling of someone there in the room. You'll start feeling, and getting interacted with.

E-Cat

It's only scary if you're irrational and believe in supernatural phenomena. But having a sleep paralysis is actually a great gateway to inducing lucid dreams, because your body is already technically asleep and you can hallucinate at will.

lock2k

Banned
Oh, the old night hag...

Used to get it quite often when I was a kid and teenager. I think I never experienced it as an adult.

Maybe the fact that I'm constantly crushed and exhausted all the time doesn't leave room to be semi-awake anymore.

It fucking sucks though.

Still don't believe in demons and witches and whatnot. Just think it sucks.

Dark Star

I only get sleep paralysis if I drink alcohol before bed. It's really fking odd and terrifying. Like on 4th of July the boys and I got pretty buzzed and passed out in my house. I had the worst sleep paralysis ever that night.

I drifted out of a dream and I was suddenly aware of my surroundings, my bedroom. I couldn't move or breathe, there was this insane weight on my chest. I "saw" this old witch standing in my bedroom doorway, yelling at me to "clean it up! Clean up your mess!". Then she charged at me with this glowing white orb in her hands. I tired moving my arms and legs but I was stuck.

When I actually broke free, I was covered in cold sweat. I didn't realize I was even dreaming, or lucid dreaming. It felt so real because I was technically awake. Whatever that was it felt very demonic and supernatural.

Other sleep paralysis experiences I've had are equally as odd. Like once I was aware that I was in bed, and I felt this small creature messing around under my sheets. I seriously thought it was my cat. Then the creature stopped moving and slid off the edge of my bed. I still couldn't see exactly what it was. Then it started tugging at my sheets. I couldn't move my body or even turn my neck. It tugged the sheets off my bed and I was terrified.

When I finally broke free I realized my sheets were definitely messed with, but my cat was nowhere in sight. That was weird.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I suffered this shit sometimes when i was little and it was always me chained in a chair with an insect alien thing in front of me.

Thank god for ganja blocking any dreams in the last 20 years or so...

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I think the movie is boring crap. Just low budget and lazy shadow people sleep paralysis stories when I could have come up with a dozen better experiences myself. They even had one with a grown man recalling an experience in a crib as a young child, so stupid they couldn’t find better on reddit or something.

Last edited:

ammodotcom

Neo Member
Literally the worst fuckin thing ever, I get it on a somewhat regular basis, happened last night I could hear my girlfriend breathing in her sleep next to me and all I could do is lay there helpless and in my mind I'm trying to make any sound or movement begging her so she can wake me up, anyone else here experience sleep paralysis that can share some episodes? or thoughts on it.

I've dealt with this a lot. It really messed with my head the first couple of times it happened. But after I realized I wasn't going to die the anxiety diminished. I also occasionally wake up paralyzed and my eye lids will continue to twitch like in REM sleep or I'll not have any vision except a kaleidoscope of colors and shapes for 60-90 seconds. Taking ZMA seems to help my sleep a lot.

I have a friend who used to get it sometimes. He says that he would see demons. Anyone ever see a demon?

Never saw a demon outright, but I would say about 3 or 4 nights before this happened to be, I felt something thick in the air in my room, like someone was standing there at the end of my bed watching me all night. Just weird and cruel vibes and then 3 or 4 days later, it happened. Pretty scary stuff.

Mato

I've had my fair share of that in the past. Luckily for me it was never particularly scary. For the most part I would get the impression that family members or friends were paying me a surprise visit, as if they were in the next room trying not to wake me up. I would see their dark silhouettes through the open bedroom door, whispering to each other. I recall feeling extremely exhausted, trying to get up and drag myself like a zombie in the next room to greet them. I may have sleepwalked as well, not sure.

I don't get paralysis anymore but I still get lucid dreaming. I love it when that happens. Sometimes it's so vibrant, it's just phenomenal, akin to what people describe as being high or hallucinogenic substances. Peak of my day.

John Day

I’ve had 3 episodes, the second one was the scariest, but the third one i already knew what was going on so i calmed down and it went by fast.

Second one i felt people where in my house, could even hear voices. You are so aware yet in desbelief, at your innability to control your body. Yikes.

Haven’t had an episode in like 2 years. I suffered from heart problems before landing in the hospital for a month early this year, i’m at my best now, so that may have played a role on the cause of them.

Kadayi

Banned

In Dreams, I walk with you

In Dreams, I talk to you

In Dreams you're mine, all of the time

tenor.gif

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I experience a few times a year or so. I never feel burdened / smothered like many others. I just can't move and often experience visual or auditory hallucinations along with it. The last time I had it I was laying on my back and couldn't move or open my eyes, and could hear the sound of wind rustling trees all around me, as if I had fallen asleep in a forest. When I "woke up" the sounds of the forest stayed with me for a few seconds.

I've heard horror stories about what others experience. If it hasn't already been mentioned there's a good documentary on it called "The Nightmare":

I don't know if the helps but works for me when I get sleep paralysis, what I do Is calm the fuck down and start going in circles in my mind and after a while I give myself a push yourself forward boost and It usually cancels out my paralysis. I've done it a few times this past month. I accept PayPal if it works lol

Ichabod

Banned
I haven't had an episode of it for over 15 years, thank God. The last time it happened I had just woke up from a midday nap in my apartment at Uni.

I was completely paralyzed and my vision was blurry in my periphery. The air in the room was suffocating and I remember feeling intense terror and dread. I heard a sound coming from the corner of the room and realized I wasn't alone. A low but menacing chuckle was coming from somewhere in the corner of the room. In my mind's eye I envisioned a hunch backed old crone. I clenched my eyes shut and began to pray. In an instant the chuckling thing flew from the corner of my room to the edge of my bed and, even though my eyes were tightly closed, I could feel a presence mere inches away from me. I never opened my eyes, I just continued to pray. After a few moments my paralysis faded and I shot upright in bed. I was alone in my room again.

jadedm17

Literally the worst fuckin thing ever, I get it on a somewhat regular basis, happened last night I could hear my girlfriend breathing in her sleep next to me and all I could do is lay there helpless and in my mind I'm trying to make any sound or movement begging her so she can wake me up, anyone else here experience sleep paralysis that can share some episodes? or thoughts on it.

Once.
Id assumed if it happened again id understand and work through it.
That said ive had hundreds of panic attacks over the years but had one two years ago while driving to the doctor and thought i was dying; Went to ER instead and $5800 of tests later found out thats my new normal.

As i age now things i understand get worse.

Sorry OP.

Keihart

Last night i had it, and it scared the shit out of me.
I started listening a dog moving close to my bed and someone walking in the living room.
I kinda knew what was happening, but you can't help but think what if it's true?, so i forced myself to wake up completely , get up checked , nothing there...i go back to sleep and i had it happen again.
Really fucking shitty shit.

Edit: i wanted to post in the other Sleep paralysis thread and ended up necroing this one...tee-hee!
iu

Last edited:

Meowzers

I sleep on my stomach mostly so it just feels weird just not being able to not move.

Not had any sort of weird/scary visions as of yet.

sendit

I enjoy it. The adrenaline i get when trying to escape a shadowy beast and not being able to move a single fiber in my body is unrivaled.

Growing up i had this frequently. It lasted for years from early childhood to around the age of 17-18.

They were fucking terrifying And caused great anxiety when it came time to sleep.

They went away after i started getting high nightly. Only ever experienced it once as an adult, which was during an attempted tolerance break.

Top Bottom