• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

gweemz

Update

Wal Mart pre order (Aug 25) arrived yesterday. Item was in great condition.

I don’t get why Amazon still can’t get their pre orders out. They really need to buckle down on how many of they can deliver on and not over pre order.

Lucky. Still waiting for my Aug 22nd order.

Contacted Amazon. The Rep was clueless saying the "item is unavailable." I told him the situation with the treasure trucks and said he had escalated the issue. I had to ask for a credit to my account and he gave me $10. He also said my order would ship faster but I don't see that reflected in my account.

At this point I don't think I'll see this in a while. Doesn't look like they are in any hurry to fulfill pre-orders.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Contacted Amazon. The Rep was clueless saying the "item is unavailable." I told him the situation with the treasure trucks and said he had escalated the issue. I had to ask for a credit to my account and he gave me $10. He also said my order would ship faster but I don't see that reflected in my account.

At this point I don't think I'll see this in a while. Doesn't look like they are in any hurry to fulfill pre-orders.

I just canned mine and got one from a friend for price and shipping. Last time I buy hardware from amazon.

Amazon doing everything they can to weasel out of my preorder. Okay, Amazon, I clicked the button to let you know I still want the thing. When do I get some information that’s any more useful than a shrug and a blank stare?

cordy

Banned
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh.....

What's the timestamp of those who got the Amazon email? I didn't get mine yet. I do know that I preordered it on Aug 22 at 3:25AM Central time though.

Jeremy

This has become that thread.

And despite Reggie's initial promises, it looks like Nintendo once again massively underproduced.

Also, NOA couldn't manage preorder programs with retailers correctly, so unlike EU and Japan, even if you got a preorder, you may have been screwed.

For example, Amazon US appears to have accepted a bunch of preorders, but didn't fulfill any of them. Instead, Amazon US sold all its stock via Treasure Trucks and Instant Pickup, so if you weren't near one of those physical locations, you were SoL.

It's so incredibly disappointing and hard to support/encourage. When I found out they were doing this I tried to send a Treasure Truck to a friend in Tampa but they were sold out already around 10 or 11AM. I don't really understand, these things don't have an issue selling.

Believe!!!

You'll probably have a better chance than me anyway depending on how awkward Gamestop and Thinkgeek will be to international buyers.

Just make sure you have your account setup for both websites with credit card info and billing address, etc. already setup and good to go.

Make sure you are logged in at all times and be ready with F5 (Microsoft IE and other browsers) or Cntrl-R (Chrome) to refresh the page when they go live. That way, you can immediately "add to cart" and checkout with an absolute minimum of time. Seconds spent entering in credit card info, shipping addresses, etc. could literally prevent you from getting one.

If you have an app that lets you order online quickly and easily that may also help.

Good luck! I'll be playing that lottery too...

EDIT: Even ThinkGeek has basically the same preparatory steps on their Twitter page as I said above. Sheesh - even they expect this to be a massacre. At least they only allow 1 order per person.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Jesus Christ, Amazon basically throwing their arms in the air and going "man i dunno maybe we'll get some or not, leave me alone"

cordy

Banned
Mine came last night at 10:35 pm PST.

What time did you place your order?

I'm checking back around page 39 of this thread (when the Amazon preorders went up) and some of the people saying they got the email posted later than some of us so I wonder if they got the email and those who placed the orders first (before Wario's tweet for example) won't. We might get our emails later but I'm trying to pinpoint the time of those who placed the orders.

kahi

Checked my local Target this morning, they didn't receive any this week so far. Trying to decide what time I should take my lunch to run over to my local Gamestop.

dgco86

I'm checking back around page 39 of this thread (when the Amazon preorders went up) and some of the people saying they got the email posts later than some of us so I wonder if they got the email and those who placed the orders first (before Wario's tweet for example) won't. We might get our emails later but I'm trying to pinpoint the time of those who placed the orders.

No email for me thus far. My order confirmation came in at 501am EST August 22.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just make sure you have your account setup for both websites with credit card info and billing address, etc. already setup and good to go.

Make sure you are logged in at all times and be ready with F5 (Microsoft IE and other browsers) or Cntrl-R (Chrome) to refresh the page when they go live. That way, you can immediately "add to cart" and checkout with an absolute minimum of time. Seconds spent entering in credit card info, shipping addresses, etc. could literally prevent you from getting one.

If you have an app that lets you order online quickly and easily that may also help.

Good luck! I'll be playing that lottery too...

Thanks for the tip :)

and good luck to all. In fairness, I wouldn't be too bothered if I don't end up getting one since I'll be happy that someone caught up in the whole Amazon shitshow debacle will end up getting one from Gamestop/ThinkGeek instead. I'll maybe pick one up someday whenever I fly over to the US in the future.

Checked my local Target this morning, they didn't receive any this week so far. Trying to decide what time I should take my lunch to run over to my local Gamestop.

From what I keep hearing from various sources on the internet, Target should be getting its restock by October 20th or thereabouts. YMMV of course but that's just what I keep hearing anyway...

I have no idea when Best Buy or Walmart stores will be getting restocks - nobody knows anything about it when I've called them.

SKINNER!

Banned
welp, Gamestop won't accept my card details. Fingers crossed the preorder doesn't start before I head home so I can use another card.

I'm checking back around page 39 of this thread (when the Amazon preorders went up) and some of the people saying they got the email posted later than some of us so I wonder if they got the email and those who placed the orders first (before Wario's tweet for example) won't. We might get our emails later but I'm trying to pinpoint the time of those who placed the orders.

I placed my order on 8/22 right after wario tweeted so could be just after you. I would expect you should see the email soon today.

jtkauff

My original order confirmation came in at 4:44am Eastern on 8/22. I haven't received anything today/yesterday regarding a delay.

This has become that thread.

And despite Reggie's initial promises, it looks like Nintendo once again massively underproduced.

Also, NOA couldn't manage preorder programs with retailers correctly, so unlike EU and Japan, even if you got a preorder, you may have been screwed.

For example, Amazon US appears to have accepted a bunch of preorders, but didn't fulfill any of them. Instead, Amazon US sold all its stock via Treasure Trucks and Instant Pickup, so if you weren't near one of those physical locations, you were SoL.

Disagreed on all accounts. NOA shipped a fuckton of these on launch day, to the point that strolling up at store openings, more or less, nigh-guaranteed you one.

The Amazon and Walmart issues have little-to-nothing to do with Nintendo. Amazon put up some weird listing in the night, so their issues probably stem from that. Clearly, they got stock, but chose to sell them via their trucks.

Walmart's system couldn't handle the 8/22 crush and sold out in seconds. Since they later re-opened orders on 8/25 and sent those out just fine, I'm going to wager they had a technical hiccup with the earlier orders, pushing them to the back of the queue.

Just stopped into my local Gamestop since their number is out of order, and he argued with me that they aren't getting any. I told him that corporate said they were shipping to all stores today or tomorrow. He then argued that, "What they probably meant was NEXT week." I said, "No, they said specifically by tomorrow's date." He just said, "Well, we aren't getting any." Ok, thanks, man...

Will the gamestop stock be online only or also in stores?
No one has mentioned anything about going to a store in here, but east coast should have had their gamestops open by now?

edit: Oh seems one person has so far.

Will the gamestop stock be online only or also in stores?
No one has mentioned anything about going to a store in here, but east coast should have had their gamestops open by now?

edit: Oh seems one person has so far.

I was told they are getting in store tomorrow.

Gamestop should be getting in-store today or tomorrow.

Gamestop and Thinkgeek will be offering SNES classics online today - sometime this afternoon, perhaps as early as 12PM Eastern time but nobody really knows - you can monitor thinkgeek's twitter feed to see when they go live (at which time Gamestop may be going online at the same time as well since Gamestop owns Thinkgeek).

I called my local Gamestop and their delivery truck isn't due until noon but the employee I spoke with knew about them coming in - he just didn't know if it would be today or tomorrow.

Also, may want to check istocknow.com to see which Gamestops are getting in shipment in your area but YMMV of course. Even if that website shows Gamestops having stock they are typically selling out within an hour of getting any in-store either through a restock, trade-ins, or returns.

cordy

Banned
No email for me thus far. My order confirmation came in at 501am EST August 22.

Yeah still checking, I don't see one hmm.
I placed my order on 8/22 right after wario tweeted so could be just after you. I would expect you should see the email soon today.

We'll see because from what I'm seeing, everyone who placed their order before Wario tweeted hasn't received the email yet. A good amount of us found it before him, placed the order and then 15mins later he posted it out to everyone.
My original order confirmation came in at 4:44am Eastern on 8/22. I haven't received anything today/yesterday regarding a delay.

Yep, the same.

Ran into my Gamestop in Nashville and the guy was very vague –

"We may get them today...our shipments usually don't come in until around after noon."

So I'll have to run over again after lunch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
CHAD just escalated me to SANTHOSH and I took the gloves off. I'm telling him how shitty his family is now. Or at least using all caps to demand answers

Jeremy

Just called around to my local stores (central MS) and they haven't received shipments yet but seemed like they would be receiving something today or tomorrow.

How often should I call and check back?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Santhosh at Amazon is the worst yet. I had Chad earlier and even Chad was cooler.

Me:
Hi. this is in connection to order # # xxxx- this is my FOURTH long chat with you guys so please escalate immediately and don't waste my time working through it at level one. Escalate please.
You are now connected to Chad from Amazon.com
Chad:
Hello Frank, my name is Chad. I'm here to help you today.
Okay, sure please give me a moment to transfer you.
Me:
Thanks Chad.
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Santhosh from Amazon.com
Santhosh:
Hello, this is Santhosh, one of the members of leadership who will be assisting you today. It is my understanding that you requested a supervisor. Please stand by while I review your concern.
Me:
Hi Santhosh, this is my fourth attempt to clarifiy what
is going on with this order
Last night at midnight I got a vaguely worded mail asking me to APPROVE a delay
I've never seen a mail like this and I've been using Amazon since it began
I was told the item would definitely ship today. it is not and in fact my order has NOT updated at all, despite "approving" it.
In fact I keep getting false information every time I discuss it with you guys
I am frustrated and feel like I am being lied to, and I wish Amazon would just explain to you guys what the actual problem with this item is - so that you can give us better information
By the way, this isn't just affecting my order, this is happening to tens of thousands of people. there are thousands of people complaining about exactly the same problem online, yet Amazon remains silent. And worse, keeps exacerbating the issue
Santhosh:
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you with the issue Frank.
Me:
Well that makes both of us.
Santhosh:
I've checked and see that this is a pre order.
We deliver the order on first order first serve basis
Me:
Stop saying that. You guys have been saying that for a month. tell me what the delivery date is and tell me what the actual problem is.
The information you just gave me is vague and useless and likely incorrect. Find out what the problem is, tell me when I can expect the item. If the problem is a relationship dispute with Nintendo, tell me that. If you screwed up and gave all your pre order stock to the Treasure Trucks (you did, this is widely reported) admit it.
Santhosh:
I see that we have already escalated this issue and the original Estimated delivery date is Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Me:
Yes. That
That's today
My order shows it is not ready and doesn't ven have an estimate
Santhosh:
Yes. We faced some issues regarding the stock with the supplier and we were unable to deliver the order on time. This is the reason why we have sent an email to you regarding the delay.
Me:
Your email was not ehlpful. It doesn't have a release date or an estimate. You just told me the estimate was the 11th of october, but that's not true, is it?
Santhosh:
We did expect the order to be shipped on time Frank. But the supplier did not provide the stock with us. This is the reason why we are asking you to wait further regarding this issue.
Me:
This is completely unaccceptable. i don't know if you are instructed to alert your superiors about issues like this, but I'm exhausted having these conversations and I am going to escalate this
Santhosh:
I can completely understand your inconvenience Frank. But we did not expect the order to be delayed. Since the supplier did not provide the stock we are unable to deliver this on time
Me:
I also don't believe you. If the item was ever going to ship on the 11th, the order would have changed to reflect that
You're supposed to provide help and assistance but all you're doing is repeating the vague wording on the broken order. This is exhausting and pointless and circular I'm going to go slam my junk in the fridge door.

Pikma

Banned
Yeah still checking, I don't see one hmm.

We'll see because from what I'm seeing, everyone who placed their order before Wario tweeted hasn't received the email yet. A good amount of us found it before him, placed the order and then 15mins later he posted it out to everyone.

Yep, the same.
I placed mine right after he tweeted it and still have not received the email or been asked to do anything on my orders page

mrchad

Disagreed on all accounts. NOA shipped a fuckton of these on launch day, to the point that strolling up at store openings, more or less, nigh-guaranteed you one.

The Amazon and Walmart issues have little-to-nothing to do with Nintendo. Amazon put up some weird listing in the night, so their issues probably stem from that. Clearly, they got stock, but chose to sell them via their trucks.

From what I can piece together:

• Amazon planned many months ago (long before the pre-order listing) to sell SNES Classics via the Treasure Trucks and locally via their Instant Pickup locations. This was planned and arranged by those divisions of Amazon with the supplier.
  • Someone in a different division of Amazon screwed up and made a pre-order listing live on 8/22. For whatever reason (maybe attempting to avoid the PR embarassment that Wal-Mart went through earlier in August (where Wal-Mart cancelled every pre-order)), Amazon decided not to cancel the pre-orders, but instead trim them down to one per customer and scramble to fill what remained. This ultimately proved to be a mistake.
  • Amazon can't get any guarantees or commitments from their supplier about when the pre-order supply will come in. The Treasure Truck / Instant Pickup divisions got their stock and delivered accordingly, but for the normal web stock there is no clear timeline about when/how they can fulfill the outstanding orders. CSRs know nothing and are simply throwing credits at customers in an effort to calm things down.

SKINNER!

Banned
TG confirmed on twitter they can't ship outside US.

Also GS said theirs will be all bundled.

KETXSgN.gif

Dang. It's all good. Good luck guys.

Pikma

Banned
“Simply throwing credit at consumers” my ass, very few people have received such offers.

In my experience reps show more interest in trying to convince you to cancel the order than in calming things down, let alone offering any kind of compensation

mrchad

“Simply throwing credit at consumers” my ass, very few people have received such offers.

Some people have been more aggressive with CS reps than others, but it does seem like a crap shoot. It's clearly NOT a uniform or coordinated response, which is unfortunate because it puts Amazon reps in the unenviable position of having to explain something they have no information about.

From what I can piece together:

• Amazon planned many months ago (long before the pre-order listing) to sell SNES Classics via the Treasure Trucks and locally via their Instant Pickup locations. This was planned and arranged by those divisions of Amazon with the supplier.
  • Someone in a different division of Amazon screwed up and made a pre-order listing live on 8/22. In attempting to avoid the PR embarassment that Wal-Mart went through earlier in August (where Wal-Mart cancelled every pre-order), Amazon decided not to cancel the pre-orders, but instead trim them down to one per customer and scramble to fill what remained. This ultimately proved to be a mistake.
  • Amazon can't get any guarantees or commitments from their supplier about when the pre-order supply will come in. The Treasure Truck / Instant Pickup divisions got their stock and delivered accordingly, but for the normal web stock there is no clear timeline about when/how they can fulfill the outstanding orders. CSRs know nothing and are simply throwing credits at customers in an effort to calm things down.

Yeah, even though it may appear that Amazon sent all of the preorder units to Treasure Trucks and Instant Pickup, that makes sense to me that it would be different divisions probably. Amazon is a huge company and it is doubtful that the same division would handle stocking for pre-order/online sales and for the local Treasure Trucks and Instant Pickups.

However, Amazon would go a LONG way in helping to redeem this crappy situation by releasing some kind of announcement and not pulling their customers' wankers. It has made Amazon appear to be a horrendous troll that would rather push their own proprietary services (Treasure Trucks and Instant Pickup) rather than honor their commitment to their customers' preorders.

What Amazon probably should have done on (or even before) launch day was to make a statement about what happened and then give their preordering customers the chance to either cancel the preorder, keep the preorder (understanding that Amazon can't guarantee when it would get stock in from Nintendo but that all preorders would get processed eventually assuming the stock holds out) and then give everyone involved at least a $5 or $10 Amazon credit to calm everyone's titties.

But no - they instead have to act like a typical corporation and hide behind bullshit and hearsay and rumors which makes everyone jump to the worst of conclusions and add to conspiracy theory fuel and make a lot of customers angry (and even people like me angry who never even preordered from Amazon).

I have no idea why corporations can't just do what is "right", admit their mistakes, and then try and do something - anything - to make up for it. Is it really that fuckin' hard?

EDIT: They HAD to know about being unable to process the preorders at least a couple of days prior to launch day - perhaps even a week or more in advance. The fact that they just sat on that information, pretended that everything was cool, and then sold stock out of Treasure Trucks is something I doubt most people involved in this cluster fuck will remember fondly. All I'm saying is that they should have announced something. But corporations can't treat their customers like human beings - they usually just treat their customers like slime or scum - a necessary evil for them to do business. "Customers... *shiver*... ick - HATE those guys!" is too often the attitude it seems.

We're not people - we're "consumers"...i..e little more than beasts that primarily deserve corporations' contempt.

EDIT2: Sorry for my rant. Not very happy with corporations these days - both being customers of, and working for them. :)

cordy

Banned
Actually...just got an Amazon email about my order...
Hello #######

We have good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below. We'll send a confirmation when your items ship. If you would like to view the status of your entire order or make any changes to it, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.
Delivery Estimate Details
Order ############
Placed on Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Your new estimated delivery date is: Tuesday, October 17, 2017

LOOKS LIKE IM GETTING MINE FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

THAT MEANS ANYONE WHO PLACED EARLY HAS A CHANCE OF GETTING THEIRS!!!!! I PLACED MINE AT 3:22AM CENTRAL TIME!!!!!!

Which also means that everyone who got the email, the didn't have enough to fulfill those orders sadly so they were working backwards.

Top Bottom