• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I am on a Harry Potter marathon

SantaC

And I am wondering why Chris Columbus didnt direct any more HP movies after the philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets?

Because I find the first two movies the best directed of them all. They're not nessicerly the best movies in the series, but for some reason they felt the most 'magical' and the pacing is great.

Too bad (imo) the latter half of the series isn't up to same directing standards.

Last edited:

Dural

Chris Columbus was obviously a huge fan of the books, can't say the same about the directors of the other movies. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book in the series, the movie really isn't close.

edit-I also hated what David Yates did with apparating, pretty much having everyone fly. I swear he didn't even read the books.

Last edited:
And I am wondering why Chris Columbus didn't direct any more HP movies after the philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets?

Because I find the first two movies the best directed of them all. They're not necessarily the best movies in the series, but for some reason they felt the most 'magical' and the pacing is great.

Too bad (imo) the latter half of the series isn't up to same directing standards.

The first two movies follow the book very closely, especially the fist movie.

He burned out after the second one. PoA was a much bigger book with bigger scale. Azkaban is the least money making of all the movies, but the best directed Alfonso Cauron.

Mike Newell directed the 4th one.

David Yates helms the whole Franchise now since the 5th movie.

3WV8rJt.jpg

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ugh David Yates is the worst one.

No, Newell is. He made the best book into the worst movie by far. Yates did a good job on most big scenes but is poor at long narrative scenes (making his direction feel shallow)

Last edited:

Mondai

Only really suck was Chamber of Secrets for me , doesn't help that I think the book is the weakest in the series .

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I feel the same way, OP. Loved the first two movies, they captured the spirit of the novels perfectly even if they weren’t great movies. Columbus understood that the novels were for children first and foremost and directed the movies accordingly.

Ever since Cuaron dropped the mage robes in everyday scenes the movies took a different direction, and I never liked them the same again. Prisoner of Azkaban is widely praised as the best-directed HP movie but I find it weirdly paced. I even prefer the extended videoclip that is Goblet of Fire to it. At least Goblet retains that magical world spirit, while Prisoner feels like a teenage detective story with magical world elements shoehorned in just to show it’s still HP.

I consider Yates’ movies unmitigated disasters with the partial exception of Deathly Hallows part 1, which made me delusionally hope for a grand finale. Piss filter on everything, truly amateurish setups and direction in some scenes (Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix is just embarrassing and completely ruins one of the best scenes in the book), terrible choices of actors (that’s Professor Slughorn? Like, did you even read the book??) and the overall presumption that the watcher must have read the books because that’s the only way to make any sense of the overall mess. Half-Blood Prince is arguably the best book in the series but the movie butchered it beyond recognition with awfully acted, awfully directed, awfully scripted teenage drama. I never rewatched HBP, nor I have any desire to.

Also as much as I like Michael Gambon, he was hardly the best choice to replace Richard Harris as Dumbledore. Too bad because casting was mostly excellent up until Yates took the direction.

cormack12

Gold Member
I feel the same way, OP. Loved the first two movies, they captured the spirit of the novels perfectly even if they weren’t great movies. Columbus understood that the novels were for children first and foremost and directed the movies accordingly.

I like this post and agree 100%

DKehoe

It would have been committing 10 years to doing nothing but Harry Potter. That's a lot for someone to do, especially when it's not their own work.

Dural

Ever since Cuaron dropped the mage robes in everyday scenes the movies took a different direction, and I never liked them the same again. Prisoner of Azkaban is widely praised as the best-directed HP movie but I find it weirdly paced. I even prefer the extended videoclip that is Goblet of Fire to it. At least Goblet retains that magical world spirit, while Prisoner feels like a teenage detective story with magical world elements shoehorned in just to show it’s still HP.

Yep, I feel like the praise for Azkaban is specifically because of who directed it, if the critics didn't know it was Cuaron they wouldn't have praised it like they did. All the magic was sucked out by his direction, Hogwarts looked like shit, and like you said, no more wearing the robes. Quidditch was such a huge part of the book too and he pretty much cut it out completely from the movie.

E-Cat

Why did the producers have Yates direct all the rest of the movies after four? I don't know how to formulate this, but the guy is... not an artist. Seems like a better fit for directing BBC miniseries, or something.

Last edited:

Hans Bubby

Banned
I still think Order of the Phoenix has the best wizard fight of all the movies with Dumbledore vs Voldemort. Fucking love that scene, so well done.

SS - faithful execution. Just a few scenes not included to get the Sorcerer's Stone.

CoS - a good continuation, although a little clunky at time. Quidditch!

PoA - the beginning of adding non book elements such as the shruken heads. Not a perfect movie but has great scenes. Expecto Patronum scene is awesome... Buttt you needed to know it was a stag. Weird ending.

GoF - Gambon, the loud crazy full of energy Dumbledore. This a large book, so much got cut or shortened.

OotP - One of the most loved. Great soundtrack. More and more changes. Also the screen writer was favoring the Harry and Hermione romance... which continues through the rest of the movies. Awesome fight scene.

HBP - Underated humor in some moments. This movie is the somberness before the sadness.

DH1 - On the run, getting to see outside if Hogwarts more. Shell Cottage..Dobby. I like this one.

DH2 - Together then! Some huh or ok moments throughout. This movie made the most money.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For the most part I think fans agree with the OP, the later chapters of HP are compelling though.

Yates gets a lot of grief, people miss some of the details. This is one of the best. Snape redirects McGonnagal's spell to take out the death eaters behind him.

fGt8763.gif

Hinedorf

Banned
And I am wondering why Chris Columbus didnt direct any more HP movies after the philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets?

Because I find the first two movies the best directed of them all. They're not nessicerly the best movies in the series, but for some reason they felt the most 'magical' and the pacing is great.

Would kind of agree as I look at the whole series that 1 and 2 are a bit more nostalgic and special but I think this is more due to their ages. They're a bit more whimsical and less character-focused doing a fantastic job of world building which sets the stage for the future movies.

SantaC

Would kind of agree as I look at the whole series that 1 and 2 are a bit more nostalgic and special but I think this is more due to their ages. They're a bit more whimsical and less character-focused doing a fantastic job of world building which sets the stage for the future movies.
I hate the fact that they abandon the school classes and mage robes in the later movies. As you said, the first ones feels more nostalgic.

Last edited:

SantaC

Goblet of Fire really is shit tier. The Trie-Wizard tournament doesnt make sense, and at the end of the movie when Cedric dies, everyone seem shocked. "A boy has died"

Like what did they expect with such dangerous tournament?

Here's the Insane Worldwide numbers.

1. MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE
Worldwide gross: $18,263,221,776

Though it seems a bit unfair, the whole of the Marvel Cinematic Universe—including The Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies—is officially a single franchise in Hollywood's eyes. Which makes it a tough one to beat, with 28 films (and counting) in the past 12 years, led (financially-speaking) by Avengers: Infinity War ($2,048,797,682), The Avengers ($1,517,935,897), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1,403,013,963), and Black Panther ($1,348,258,224).

2. STAR WARS

Worldwide gross: $9,307,186,202

Though it's been more than 40 years since the original Star Wars film hit theaters and entranced moviegoers, since Disney purchased the franchise in 2012, they've been making up for lost time with new entries in the original space opera, plus a bunch of standalone series—including a new trilogy courtesy of Game of Thronescreators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. While it may take the Mouse House a couple of years to match Marvel's quantity of films, at the rate they're cranking them out, we probably won't have too long to wait. The still-untitled Star Wars: Episode IX arrives in theaters on December 20, 2019.

3. HARRY POTTER
Worldwide gross: $9,185,046,972

The big-screen incarnation of J. K. Rowling’s boy wizard has proven to be just as profitable as the book version. Since 2001, 12 movie adaptations have been released, beginning with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. While nearly all of them—including 2016's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them—have approached the $1 billion mark, 2011's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II brought in the biggest profit, with a worldwide take of $1,341,693,157. With another Fantastic Beasts movie on the way in 2020, this box office behemoth shows no signs of slowing down.

4. JAMES BOND

METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER PICTURES/COLUMBIA PICTURES/EON PRODUCTIONS
Worldwide gross: $7,077,929,291

While "Who will play the next James Bond?" is a question as old as this movie franchise itself, one thing that's never in question is 007's ability to attract an audience—and he only seems to be getting better with age. Bond's Daniel Craig era has seen some of its most critically acclaimed, and profitable, entries in the series, which kicked off in 1963 with Dr. No. But the franchise’s high position on this list is largely thanks to 2012’s Skyfall, which earned $1,110,526,981 around the world.

5. THE LORD OF THE RINGS
Worldwide gross: $5,886,273,810

First, it’s important to note that Peter Jackson’s Middle Earth franchise includes not just The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but all three of The Hobbit movies as well. While the former series might be the more critically acclaimed of the two, when all is said and done, both series contributed to the franchise’s position here: Among the six films, 2003’s The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1,141,403,341) and 2012’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($1,017,003,568) are the two biggest moneymakers.

6. X-MEN

BEN ROTHSTEIN - © 2017 MARVEL. TM AND © 2017 TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION
Worldwide gross: $5,803,267,631

Though the X-Men are a Marvel creation, they're treated as their very own (mutant) entity in the box office world. Which is particularly impressive when you consider that the franchise's 14 films will be have generated enough dough on their own to compete at the (sort of) same level as their cinematic parent. While 2014's X-Men: Days of Future past managed to make a $747,862,775-sized dent at the box office, it's Ryan Reynolds's two Deadpool movies that lead this series in ticket sales, with a worldwide gross of $801,025,593 for the original and $786,680,557 for its 2018 sequel. Given the excitement surrounding June's X-Men: Dark Phoenix, expect these totals to continue to rise—and quickly.

7. FAST AND THE FURIOUS
Worldwide gross: $5,136,814,346

It’s possible that even the producers of the Fast and the Furious series themselves are a little surprised by just how popular the franchise has become, with eight adrenaline-fueled films that seem to grow more popular with each entry. While the first film in the series, 2001’s The Fast and the Furious, made a respectable $206,512,310, 2017's The Fate of the Furious made nearly six times that amount—a grand total of $1,234,846,267. So it should come as no surprise that two more films are already in the works, for 2020 and 2021.

8. JURASSIC PARK

UNIVERSAL PICTURES
Worldwide gross: $4,977,979,246

It's thanks to 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom—and the $1,305,772,799 it made worldwide—that Jurassic Park managed to crack the top 10 franchises. But given that the original film, which was released in 1993, made $1,038,812,584, it seems like an overdue honor. Of the 10 highest-grossing franchises, Jurassic Park has the fewest number of movies in its arsenal with just five (and another on the way).

9. DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE
Worldwide gross: $4,902,327,466

Though it's got a long way to go if it ever plans to catch up to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the DC Extended Universe seems to be finding its footing. After scoring a major box office success in 2017 with Wonder Woman, which earned $821,133,378, the studio saw its most profitable film ever in 2018 with the release of Aquaman, which netted $1,143,689,193 (and counting). The next two years will be prolific ones for the comic book movie studio, with Shazam!, Justice League vs. The Fatal Five, Joker, Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), and Wonder Woman 1984 all on the way. (An Aquaman sequel is also in the works.)

10. SPIDER-MAN

MARVEL STUDIOS
Worldwide gross: $4,858,774,307

Sam Raimi’s 2002 Spider-Man kicked off a new era in comic book moviemaking with its audience-friendly mix of action, humor, and just a little camp. His final film for the series, Spider-Man 3, earned the most money of the bunch, with a box office total of $894,860,230. Two reboots later, audiences don't seem to be tiring of the ever-changing web-slinger; 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming took in a not-too-shabby $880,206,511 (and a sequel is already in production for 2019).

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Goblet of Fire really is shit tier. The Trie-Wizard tournament doesnt make sense, and at the end of the movie when Cedric dies, everyone seem shocked. "A boy has died"

Like what did they expect with such dangerous tournament?

I agree. Sirius even said to Harry that people die in these tournaments.
Also, the whole thing with Alastor felt real weird. You can't really tell that was really Alastor or somebody else, aside from the tongue slip. Which makes you wonder about the character personality, since he never really got much of focus outside of this movie.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I hate the fact that they abandon the school classes and mage robes in the later movies. As you said, the first ones feels more nostalgic.
Wizards wearing muggle aesthetic like it's an everyday thing doesn't make sense considering how naive wizards are supposed to be about muggle culture.

Top Bottom