• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I sat down and finished FFVIIR today and…

[Sigma]

I loved almost everything about it except for the loading scenes and textures that wouldn't load in places on PS4 at the time. I vaguely remembered the original's story and didn't go back to play it again because I wanted things to feel fresh for me going into the Remake. Glad I did, I enjoy the story for the most part thus far but I was really hooked on the gameplay and the visuals looked great(outside of those textures not loading as mentioned). Looking forward to Rebirth.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Remaking all the original game in just one entry, with today's standards, would be a very arduous task.
It was not handled well, but splitting it into parts was certainly necessary.

With the problem that SE needed a final boss for the first part. They glued the pieces together and thought that fighting destiny itself was a good idea.
And I think it is, but... well, FF7R was a cool concept with poor execution.
Production values (for a PS4 title) are noticeable, and makes the game an enjoyable turd, but a turd nevertheless.

Thank god we have Aerith. Barret is unbearable most of the time, Tifa is a fanservice bag with two feet, and Cloud is just there.

Last edited:

Kazdane

Personally I loved it. Ever from the start you get clues that something is amiss (Sephiroth showing up so early, the ghosts...) and even then you don't expect the twists of the last chapter. And suddenly you aren't just playing a remake of a 25 years old game, but a direct sequel which still retells what happened in the first for the most part (and they've already said in the next two we'll see the same places, but in different order). It's something I like, at no point was I expecting I would be left guessing what's going to happen next. The battle system being an evolution of FFXV's plus a new take on the ATB concept and the stagger mechanic introduced in FF XIII makes it even better. It seems simple and sluggish, simply because you can brute force most boss fights, but once you understand how it works, it's one of the best battle systems in the series. Can't wait for Rebirth and the final game.

And for those that wanted a true remake, including me, we still have Ever Crisis on the way. Unfortunately it's taking way too long (it was supposed to be released in 2022), but it promises to go also over other content beyond the original FFVII, including Advent Children. I'm very curious about how they'll turn that into a game.

Pedro Motta

It was amazing and subversive, I was expecting the same shit but it kept me on my toes and more interested on where they will take it from here on out. The ending of the DLC was also amazing.

I’m sure they did it so you can choose the girl wifey now and the one you choose will be murdered in cold blood, from the back, by a certain individual, instead of being forced with one certain girl.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Go play the original with Mods. All I wanted from SE was what the modding community did on their own for free. PS1 generation was the ugliest shit since the Atari. Sprites>>>>warping textures and 3 poly character models. SE could have done it better with more budget but they decided to genre change and totally pad out a section of the game where even if I took my time with the original required only a couple of hours to complete.

I think people who took the ending to mean the game is going to go completely off the deep end and change everything is really off base.

1. Defeating fate only means the shackles come off which allows fans to feel like they felt when they first played FF7. Meaning they don't know what can happen. The events could play out largely the same, or follow a similar trajectory still. Killing fate doesn't mean things don't work out like they did, it only means it's not 100% surefire. Which would kill discussion and the fun for the wait till it all is finished.

2. The devs on so many occasions have made it clear it's still following FF7's story, they've made it clear that it needs to have some mystery for fans who played the original but it also can't be too different where it loses it's impact. What does that mean? It means exactly what Part 1 was. It hit a lot of the core beats of FF7's midgar story but packaged and re-framed in new ways with new mysteries added in.

I guarantee we will hit many of the story beats from the original but in the context of what this new mystery is.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I'm not precious about the original game and I was happy they took a new direction with the remake. I just thought the direction they took was weird, pretentious and overwrought. The original game was already a bit conceptually over-burdened - why they thought mangling it even further would improve things is beyond me. In truth, the plot needed simplifying, and more complexity needed to be poured into the characters. Instead, they added more layers of high-concept sci-fi maguffin and made the characters even more one-dimensional and mono-maniacal. In the end, most of the main cast can be defined in a single line: "I know this ain't about Shinra, but I'm gonna make it about Shinra", "Quit being peppy, I'm trying to be cool and detached here", "My bi-polar goes from worried to horny!", "Guys, I'm fat and also hungry - let's not talk about food." It's just lifeless and once the nostalgia shine comes off, you're just left with a fairly average, slightly repetitive, linear character action game.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Isn’t jRPG writing perpetually stuck on the level of anime tropes pandering to high school kids, since only them have time to play games in Japan?
Not true considering every time a new Dragon Quest comes out the country issues a nation wide holiday for people to play it so... More than high school kids play this shit.

FF VII R was trash but the Yuffie DLC was fire.

Wvrs

I loved the whole thing. Actually I'm replaying it now on PC and still can't believe it was as good as it was, idk if I've had a better time with a game since it released.

If it was just a straight 1:1 remake I'd enjoy it but wouldn't feel any real excitement. But it was faithful enough and with enough twists and unexpected moments that I'm totally hyped for Rebirth.

I'd rather some weird divergences than a repeat of TLOU TV show where I was emotionally flat the whole time knowing beat for beat what was going to happen.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It’s refreshing to see so many people saying it was dogshit.

I fully expect this number to increase with each new upcoming part as they slowly bring back all the beloved characters from AC, BC, CC and DC as well as more KH-tier plotlines.

Mark my words: Sephiroth (or at least one version of him)will be entirely redeemed by the end of Part 2.

What the fuck was Chapter 18 supposed to be? FFVII multiverse? I appreciated the flashes to the future events, but it almost felt like they made that in case they weren’t going to go forward with the other two games just to slap One Winged Angel into this one but then decided in the end to continue with the other two games.
Personally, I loved it but I have zero faith they will make it pay off in the subsequent titles. Sephiroth attempting to cheat the events of the original game is an interesting idea. However, it'll most likely devolve into some Kingdom Hearts-like bullshit.

Boneless

Day Valentine GIF

Pretty much this. Such a rape of what a FF7 remake couldve been.
GcktcOp.gif
GcktcOp.gif
GcktcOp.gif

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Boneless

Personally, I thought it was a great twist. Not brilliantly written or presented, but just the subversion itself.

It means the new series will keep us guessing and it means the original can still be recommended if you wish to experience the whole saga across all the media as it's not made redundant from a plot point of view.

The nostalgia I had playing through it was great too. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

How was it a twist? A twist is something sudden that leaves you shocked in surprise.

I think I've mentioned this here before... but the ending was pretty clearly an attempt to hedge because they didn't know where they were going to take things.

Given how poorly development went, I imagine that even not doing the additional parts was on the table for awhile. They could have easily ended the story after one game. Sony's reason for paying for the development was to push PS4's in Japan (heh) so there was no guarantee that Sony would pony up for future episodes.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I always hoped that if they did a remake, it wouldn’t just be an exact copy of the original story.

What I didn’t want was some cringe-ass Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts/Advent Children turd.

Gambit2483

Chapter 18 was the literal definition of subverting your expectations. This has opened up the team to control their own fate and how much of the original is now going to happen moving forward, while making the future changes somewhat canon.

It was kind of genius how they went about it. Now it's just on them to prove whether it payed off or not.

Crayon

I'm down with what they are doing. Remaking the game is a rediculously difficult thing to approach, in terms of trying to please everyone. Breaking from the story is okay because I am not neccesarily needed a replacement for the original. I played through it just fine more recently, after all. The only issue I had story-wise was how eger they were to jam sephiroth in there. I can see that too though, as there are tons of fans who looooove sephiroth so they were trying to trow them a bone. I'm sure the average player was just stoked to see him. A ton of people are going to have been introduced to sephiroth through kindom hearts and other media so they just want to see him.

The direction they went in is very bold and I love the idea of it, but it almost feels like the writers rewrote Chapters 17 and 18 a billion times and then just stuck with whatever they had when it was like a few months till release. It was handled quite badly, from the very awkward scene with President Shinra, to the weird and anticlimactic way of defeating the Whispers.

I’m just scared that it’ll devolve into total fan fiction.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The whole point of FFVIIR is that it's basically a differently told story with same background and characters. Basically it's going a different route, don't expect 1 to 1 with OG FFVII.

But that's what makes it so good. We already have FFVII. This is basically alternate reality which is pretty cool. Can't wait for FFVIIR2.

My problem with the new direction they've taken with the remake is that I'm just not sure the current staff at SQ are talented enough to write a new story that even comes close to the charm and is as compelling as the original.

They'll just get carried away throwing in some fucking idiot new characters, copious amounts of fanservice, whilst entirely forgetting to actually develop the characters or write a compelling narrative. I just don't trust modern SQ. They've developed a nasty habit of taking all the absolute fucking worst parts of modern anime and injecting it into their games.

Fbh

I always hoped that if they did a remake, it wouldn’t just be an exact copy of the original story.

What I didn’t want was some cringe-ass Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts/Advent Children turd.

Yeah this is my main problem with it.
I don't really care if they make changes to the story, but every time they've tried to expand the plot of FF7 we've gotten some Nomura style cringe crap like Advent Children and Crisis Core and I see no indication that this won't be different (if anything Chapter 18 seems to confirm that's exactly what we'll get). I'm already dreading the moment they'll bring Genesis into the main plot.

Even besides that, all these sequels that try to alter things through time travel or parallel universe stuff are usually crap. It didn't work for Avengers Endgame, it didn't work for Harry Potter and the cursed Child, it didn't work for Terminator Genisys and I don't see it working for FF7.

I'm going to be real here.

I haven't brought any version of FF7 remake because it's not actually a remake. What I was expecting was a remake of the turn-based adventure with old flaws ironed out like what was shown with the PS3 Teaser ten centuries ago.

Instead we get a prettier Kingdomhearts Character Action game? I can't stand those so it the game isn't even an option for me.

Garibaldi

How was it a twist? A twist is something sudden that leaves you shocked in surprise.
The subversion was the twist. Before the release we all thought it would be a faithful (if expanded) remake of the original. Early on we get snippets something is off, but expect it just to be expansion of the themes, it's not. The whole premise of the game was the twist. That's what I like about it.

Kumomeme

i played original, personally the end game stuff ruined the previous chapter.

it feels out of place too. thanks to Nojima.

Gambit2483

I'm going to be real here.

I haven't brought any version of FF7 remake because it's not actually a remake. What I was expecting was a remake of the turn-based adventure with old flaws ironed out like what was shown with the PS3 Teaser ten centuries ago.

Instead we get a prettier Kingdomhearts Character Action game? I can't stand those so it the game isn't even an option for me.

You do know there is a "classic" game mode that plays very similar to the turn based game, right?

Also, something like 80% of the original story is intact with most of the new stuff just giving more context to different scenarios throughout the Midgar section. Most of which adds a lot to the world building.

It only starts to break from major original story beats in Chapter 17 and Chapter 18. Otherwise it's pretty much the same basic story as the original.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I just hope,the next game has better textures even the ps5 version there’s some ps1 quality stuff there

Top Bottom