• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is Tekken X Street Fighter never coming out?

JordanN

Banned
How many years has it been since it was first teased? I think 10 years ago?

YjUfyHg.jpg

I remember believing it was actually going to be a PS4/XBO project but now we're about to hit another new generation of consoles.

You would think at this point it's dead, but then Harada made a poll asking about interest in it last year.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I would like to see the SF characters in the Tekken style but just as a passing curiousity, I doubt I'd play it because I just don't get FGs.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was stoked for this back in the day, now I couldn’t give two shits about fighting games.
Yeah, this was me. I was also playing a ton of SF at that time. Right now, I don't really care, haha.

But honestly, I don't see this ever happening considering how long it's been.

CamHostage

Well, hold on, the summer of game showcases hasn't come to an end yet... :whistle:

SF x Tekken was a miracle project that happened to work out because they could mess with the mechanics of Tekken just enough and then flex the SF concept with the Gem system and other stuff to be a different type of SF game. The other way around, I'm not sure what the gameplay would be to make it worth doing; not only would there need to be a gimmick to make it special, but there's not been a clear example of how the rangey, projectile-heavy characters of the series that's stuck for good reason to 2D would work out in the 3D of Tekken.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I completely forgot it existed. Wasn't the other game not too hot as well?

Feels like the time to strike the iron has passed. One half of a crossover, a decade later? Maybe with outdated tech to boot? Yeah...

I'm sure fans would like to see it, though.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's probably having sex with BioShock Vita somewhere around the edge of the universe. And time.

It's not really an exciting crossover anymore either.

Camreezie

Didnt they cancel this officially after the release of street fighter x tekken. Mad that Harada even baits its existence

Remember when Harada teased the possibility of Karin making a new appearance in TxSF? Literally dust in the wind. At least you can still claim onto Juli, Juni, Ingrid and some of the 3S cast now.

Barakov

Last I heard it was something like 30% done. My guess is if it happens it's going to be on next gen. It makes more sense for them to concentrate on Tekken 7 for now.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought SFxT got a bad rap, and I enjoyed the game a lot.

But... bad rap it did get, and it was a failure, and the chance of TxSF coming out after that was nil.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Maybe, fighting games are kinda having their moment now (Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Street Fighter etc.) they said they would make the game and everybody thought it was coming out and for some reason the game never came.

after the fiasco that was Street X Tekken and the success that Tekken 7 was, I think Namco has little to no interest in proceeding with this plan. Tekken 8 must be really close to be revealed.

Karmic Raze

I have zero interest in it. I've ALWAYS preferred Tekken to Street FIghter, so go ahead and proceed with work on Tekken 8 please. I need me some Tekken 8 on PS5.

lock2k

Banned
They put Akuma in Tekken and called it a day.

After the shitshow that was SF X Tekken it's not hard to imagine why it didn't happen.

It felt good after years to crack the "disc locked content" and playing with Blanka without paying a dime to Capcom.

Keihart

Tekken 7 it's already like a cross over game honestly, you have 2d characters throwing projectiles like it's no big deal and super bars and shit.
Also, there are way too many fighting games right now, it probably would be sent to die unless there it's no tekken 8 in sight and it plays like tekken.

WorldHero

Didn't Harada say he had a few character models ready a few years back lol? I think he could do it, but it's probably more of a headache than what it's worth. Doubt we will ever see it.

Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

Didn't Harada say he had a few character models ready a few years back lol? I think he could do it, but it's probably more of a headache than what it's worth. Doubt we will ever see it.

I think they showed some of those models a long time ago, but can't find any...

Virex

Banned
It will be released the same time we get a Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts 2 - Covenant and Shadow Hearts - From the New World remakes.

I liked Street Fighter x Tekken. It was fun playing with Tekken characters in a different way. I didn't care for the gem system though. The on-disc controversy didn't bother me as much as others. I gave up on Tekken x Street Fighter a long time ago. We'll just have to settle with Akuma being in Tekken.

Nymphae

Banned
I'd probably play it but I can live without it, I was more interested in Capcom doing Tekken, and that didn't turn out too shit hot. Like there's a lot to like about it actually but the gem system is just beyond ridiculous.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I'd be down for having classic SF characters (Ryu, Guile, Chun-Li etc.) as DLC, Lei Wulong was DLC for fuck's sake.

Well Tekken 7's Akuma, Eliza and Geese is a proof of concept for it and Harda DID say they are working on it unlike back in 2014 when it was more of a vaporware, the FGC and fighting games on general are in a better place, better even than it was in 2009.

lock2k

Banned
I liked Street Fighter x Tekken. It was fun playing with Tekken characters in a different way. I didn't care for the gem system though. The on-disc controversy didn't bother me as much as others. I gave up on Tekken x Street Fighter a long time ago. We'll just have to settle with Akuma being in Tekken.

It bothered me a lot. It paid full price for a game that had a shitload of other characters locked and sold separately. I still hate Capcom for that.

It was the first time I saw a lot of people blindly defend a company and telling me that I paid for a license and all that jazz. Sick shit.

Boss Mog

Probably for the best if it never comes out. Remember last time a company collaborating with Capcom came out with their VS game way too late? We got this "gem":

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Different Strokes for different folks and all that, but it wasn't the most beloved game, especially after releasing 2 years after Capcom vs SNK 2.

XVpioSf.jpg

I know.

It's just that it was so refreshing to stumble into this game in 2003 at an arcade and I never thought I would see a new fighting game at the time so I guess I have a sentimental memory with it.

It bothered me a lot. It paid full price for a game that had a shitload of other characters locked and sold separately. I still hate Capcom for that.

It was the first time I saw a lot of people blindly defend a company and telling me that I paid for a license and all that jazz. Sick shit.
I didn't defend it. I get why people hated locked characters sitting on the disc. I do wonder if some of the characters were supposed to be part of the roster but later turned into DLC because Capcom thought people would buy them without complaining.

lock2k

Banned
I didn't defend it. I get why people hated locked characters sitting on the disc. I do wonder if some of the characters were supposed to be part of the roster but later turned into DLC because Capcom thought people would buy them without complaining.
Oh, no problem, I'm not complaining about what you said. It's just that it made me angry back in the day :)

mekes

Didn’t Harappa say that they were working on it but paused it to focus on other projects? This would be some years back, maybe as far as 4-5 years back. I do think it is paused indefinitely

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I paid $20 for the SFxT DLC and maybe played it for less than a month afterwards. The skills you use in it don’t exactly transfer well to other games. It’s an obscure title and nothing about it really stands out except the use of Tekken characters inside a 2D Capcom game.

I remember the hype for this way back when Capcom put on a mini-TV series tournament. I don’t honestly think it would set a new bar. You’d almost have to do what Virtua Fighter V did and release it right when the new consoles come out.

What’s frustrating is seeing the developer’s own reaction to this. No need to even bother if Tekken 7 is all players really need. I owned Tekken 7, but it’s been Tekken for X amount of years. I’m sure TxSF would make things feel better though. Change the pace from where it’s at. I’m not exactly seeing a lot of hype. Street Fighter IV brought all sorts of avenues for fighting games.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Still have $60 on the table waiting for this game.
UPDATE: Added another $10 because price bump.

FFS Don't forget to add the character WANG!

Kagey K

Banned
Capcom couldn’t afford it and Sony wouldn’t finance it.

Since both of those publishers are so broke. 😅

Top Bottom