• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody set up us the BOMBERMAN DS MULTIPLAYER!

Jonnyram

Bomberman is just Bomberman right?
NO!

Five wannabe bomberkings gathered together to play this latest incarnation of Bomberman DS, and these are the new things we found.

Crown mode
pic03.gif

All the players start at the bottom of the bottom screen and there is a crown at the top of the top screen. The first player to reach the crown wins, so much trampling and back-stabbing ensues. Some people plough away headstrong while crafty players stay at the back, waiting to trap the hasty frontrunners in a dead-end. There's a sub-mode called Kin-kin Crown, where everyone has fully powered-up bombs and the walls don't block explosions! Very hairy stuff.

Item explosion
Both screens have a huge lake of bonus items to pick-up surrounded by a thin wall of blocks. Break into the items and run to pick up as many as possible before your opponents. Spice things up by dropping bombs in the middle of this free-for-all!

The session was cut short, but it was massive fun, and probably some of the freshest new stuff I've seen in the Bomberman series for some time. There are so many different modes that it would take a long time to check them all out too. But from Hudson's site, here are some descriptions of other new stuff:

Panel panic
pic02.gif

When you set off a bomb, the explosion changes the colour of the floor panels and the player with the most panels at the end of the game wins.

Voice activation
You can setup a game where the mic is used for a key command, e.g. drop bomb, remote bomb, or shield. We didn't try this because it would end up being even noisier than a typical bomberman fest, but it could be fun having 8 people screaming "Bomb!" in a small room, especially if your voice interferes with other people's machines!

After-death interference
pic04.gif

After you've died, you can lob bombs onto the field to swing the game. This has existed in previous games, but this time you can use the touchpen to propel the bomb further, including the top screen.

Here's all the power-ups I can think of off the top of my head.
- extra bomb
- increase range of explosion
- death bomb (explosion covers a square area instead of a cross)
- blue flames (these go through multiple blocks
- bomb line (double click to set up all possible bombs in front of you)
- bomb kick
- bomb throw
- walk through bombs
- speed up
- slow down
- shield (protects you from explosion)
- remote bombs
- slime bombs (after you throw them, they run about a bit)
- mines (leaves small spot on screen, so not impossible to see)

So they seem to have covered most of the power-ups in the series. There were a couple of others that I can't remember too.

Stage props include
- seesaws
- conveyor belts
- trapdoors
- totally covered areas

Here's a promo video too:
http://www.hudson.co.jp/gamenavi/gamedb/softinfo/dsbom/movie/pv.html

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
aaaand sold.

when exactly do I throw more money down the DS money pit though? Whats the American release date?

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
But how is the single player story-mode for those of us living alone in the wilderness?
Umm....
let me play it some more and get back to you. So far it seems the same as the Saturn version, but without the dinosaurs and coop. 10 areas, 100 stages.

Rlan

Panel Panic was also in Bomberman Online on the Dreamcast.

I was hoping for Kangaroos :(

What's the deal with the football head design for Bomberman now? I liked it in Bomberman Online on the Dreamcast because Bomberman himself was his original design, but the enemies were the ones with lifeless footy faces on them :\

WindyMan

The single player mode has a neat new feature, in that you can save all the powerups you collect for you to activate and use anytime you want. It's handy that if you die, you can just juice your Bomberman back up to the stats he had before you killed him. It makes the single player mode ridiculously easy, but it still takes some time to finish. Oh yeah, and it's boring.

My favorite arenas in the multiplayer are the ones that are open. That is, they don't have a grid pattern of solid objects to cower behind. Once all the destroyable blocks are gone, there's nowhere to hide. Carnage with 8 bombers, I tell you what.

Here's the full item list, 28 in all:

Bomb Up
Speed Up
Fire Up
Fire Max
Detonator
Spike Bomb (Blue flame, cuts through all barriers)
Power Bomb (First bomb planted has Max Fire range)
Mine Bomb (First bomb planted will detonate a moment after they are stepped on)
Death Bomb (First bomb playted is an Area bomb)
Bomb Kick
Bomb Punch
Line Bomb
Power Glove
Shield (Must be manually used)
Glasses (Adventure Only, lets you see the locations of the goal and hidden items)
Barrier Ghosting (Lets you pass through barriers)
Bomb Ghosting (Lets you pass through placed bombs)
Invincibility (All)
Invincibility (Explosions only)
Heart (Lets you take a hit)
Time Up (Adventure Only)
1UP (Adventure Only)
Bomb Down
Speed Down
Fire Down
Poison (Many flavors)
Jelly Bomb
Random Item (? Icon)

Jonnyram

Tempy said:
Can you start an 8 player game with 7 cpu players?
Hmm, you might be able to. I'll have to try it out. I know you can add cpu players to make up the numbers usually, but I don't know if there's a minimum number of human players needed.

Oh, I forgot to mention you can have teamplay too. Is this a new feature? We didn't try it out.

Ponn

Banned
Holy shit this sounds extremely close to perhaps the best bomberman game Saturn Bomberman. If it only had dinos.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you confirm that all these modes run off one cart?

1st July in the UK. I can - must - wait. I have credit enough for one game, and this looks like it.

Only problem - I have no friends with DSs...

john tv

I don't think there's any other way to play multiplayer, AFAIK. Jonny, can you confirm?

I tried to exchange my copy today but they were sold out. :(

Jonnyram

Yeah, everything runs off one cart.
There's quite a long download pause at the start, when everyone downloads the core game from your DS, then before each match there's a small loading pause as players download the settings for that match. The whole thing seems to be stored in memory after the first download, though.

US release date is 6/21. Game can be played with 7 bots for one-player battle mode, so I would think you can add bots to fill up multiplayer games.

There is one level with no bricks OR concrete, so no hiding places at all.

There are levels with voice-activation for dropping bombs, detonating bombs, and activating Bomberman's shield. Should be really fun as people lean over to yell in each other's mics.

radioheadrule83 said:
Bomberman was listed in NoAs list of online DS games... whether it means a version of this game or not, I'm not sure.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. On the Nintendo website they listed the game as Bomberman (tentative title) which led me to believe that it's a different one with additional online play since Bomberman DS has been an official name for some time now.

On the other side, Castlevania is also listed as a "tentative title" on the list as being online enabled, which turns out to be Dawn of Sorrow.

No one seems to know enough to be able to confirm it though.

The Main Event said:
That's what I've been trying to figure out. On the Nintendo website they listed the game as Bomberman (tentative title) which led me to believe that it's a different one with additional online play since Bomberman DS has been an official name for some time now.

I think this is correct. The list of WiFi games, which was handed out by NOA, listed Bomberman as being a Hudson game. If they meant the game to be released next month by Ubisoft, they probably would have listed it under Ubisoft. So I'm thinking that Hudson is working on a sequel that will include online play. Either that or Ubi has a big announcement to make, but there's nothing of the sort in my review build, so...yeah.

By the way, the best part of the game is when you get to the title screen and Bomberman yells out, in his high-pitched squeal of a voice, "BOM-BER-MAN!", pronouncing both B's. I spit up my milk the first time I heard that.

The 1-cart multiplayer really makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned, it simply seals the deal and makes it an instant buy... There were many multiplayer GBA games that I skipped because they needed a copy of the game in each GBA for multiplayer.

Top Bottom