• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something feels off about Xbox Series X unveiling , a month later & it still don't feel like a next generation console was unveiled

It was a mid gen upgrade much like the slim consoles that come out a few years later it would have been dumb of them to push the price up for a console that was only going to sell a few million.

PS4 Pro most likely made Sony more profit than Xbox One X made Microsoft
It was dumb of them to ensure that they didn't go from a system which had no real bottleneck to one with a bottleneck? I mean would it have really of cost them more than say $20 to upgrade the GDDR5 to higher bandwidth RAMDAC's?

Also yeah I agree with the other guy, why are you focused on the sales? They fucked up the system.

We have next-gen flame wars! This is why we need next-gen consoles to be mysterious as long as possible. Because as soon as the specs are revealed, especially after they ship, nobody who has 2 cents of self worth will argue much about that specific aspect.

However, there will be people who claim a controller is objectively better than the other, we can still talk about exclusives (which is what can save a weaker console, just look at the Switch go), etc.

The worse thing that could happen is disparity between the architecture of both machines that makes one better at some things, and the other better at the rest (imagine how heads would explode if a machine had better raytracing performance, but would be slightly compromised for the rest, or if both had frame rate drops, but at different times because they have different bottlenecks)... We would never settle this one in a 100 years generation.

Actually parity would just be strange.

But I can see a world where the sx is more powerful, but the ps5 is close enough that most games are equal for all intents and purposes (both run most of them at 4k 60, with slightly higher drops in dynamic resolution on the PS5, subtle enough that very few would notice).

I can already see how this is going to be a problem for poor Billy.

Mom: Billy want a Xbox right?
Dad: No he wants a Xbox One X.
Mom: Wait isn’t it the Xbox series X?
Grandma: just get him The Nintendo.
It should alleviate a lot of confusion because they're no doubt going to discontinue the One S/X pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

Grandma: just get him The Nintendo.

Whether little Billy gets an Xbox One X or Xbox Series X, both Microsoft and Billy WIN since for Billy, he still can play all next gen games and MS has a new customer.

concern-troll.jpg

Last edited:

joe_zazen

It was dumb of them to ensure that they didn't go from a system which had no real bottleneck to one with a bottleneck? I mean would it have really of cost them more than say $20 to upgrade the GDDR5 to higher bandwidth RAMDAC's?

Also yeah I agree with the other guy, why are you focused on the sales? They fucked up the system.

given how fucking cheap sony has been this generation, i think their engineers did a good job. There was alot of software and engineering $ that went into the 1x that pspro did not need.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m hyped for it but it wasn’t a full reveal. Things will start getting more interesting once we start seeing games. There’s only so much excitement seeing a plastic box can bring.

given how fucking cheap sony has been this generation, i think their engineers did a good job. There was alot of software and engineering $ that went into the 1x that pspro did not need.
Yeah and what is the result of that? Software which is hard capped in coding at substantially lower operating parameters than the Xbox One X software.

Just as an example even most dynamically scaled games on the Pro topped out at 1440p while on the X builds topped out at 4K. So with a new gen these old games will get new life on Series X, while the Pro versions on PS5 will basically be stuck where they are now.

Dane

Both companies are doing low key marketing, Sony only confirmed months ago officially and now its logo, Microsoft made only two videos, one for the project name and another for the console.

Gerdav

Microsoft or Sony haven’t revealed anything yet in all honestly, these reveals are just a reflection of the time we live in where people have the attention span of a gnat thanks to social media and phones.

joe_zazen

Yeah and what is the result of that? Software which is hard capped in coding at substantially lower operating parameters than the Xbox One X software.

Just as an example even most dynamically scaled games on the Pro topped out at 1440p while on the X builds topped out at 4K. So with a new gen these old games will get new life on Series X, while the Pro versions on PS5 will basically be stuck where they are now.

just saying, dont blame the engineers for sony’s scrooge mcduck penny pinching.

Sales are important to validate your very personal judgement of the system (I have a PRO and I like how they made it affordable, yet they offer some increased benefits).

The X looks like overcompensation on the part of Microsoft, their base system was broken from the beginning, they knew their games lineup was nothing special, so they pushed on the hardware front (which is good, don't get me wrong, at the very least it pushes the next generation to new heights). How many games use the extra memory? How many run that much better than they do on the PS4 pro? (Some have better resolution, but more frame rate dips... Not the fault of the system, but it still affects the end user). And I will say that the resolution difference is not that big of a deal to me.

onQ123

And you care because you have Sony stock? Who cares really... it’s about the games ...

I'm just saying it was a mid gen upgrade enabled by the die shrink just like a slim console why would they add stuff to make it cost more than the lunch consoles when they will only sell to a few million.

They achieved their goal with PS4 Pro , MS did all they did with Xbox One X changed the memory & everything only to sell a few million units before next gen starts.

HelpYouFall

how the fuck is it ANTI-CUSTOMER to release their games on BOTH platforms?? like HOW???

LOL stop yelling. I was talking in general about the tone in these kind of trends with people rooting for some brand, defending anything that company does and rejecting anything its direct competitor does. Wrong thread maybe to go into it, granted, but it's in this thread as well. You don't think both MS and Sony make anti consumer decisions all the time and instead they have your best interests at heart, front and center? Wow haha

Last edited:
The series X reveal got me excited for next gen and that's coming from someone who's never got an opportunity to own an xbox console. It was such a clever move on Microsoft to unveil the console with HellBlade 2.

CJY

Banned
No next gen console has yet been revealed. MS don't believe in generations anymore.

"Next-gen begins when Sony says so" is just the default now.

meirl

Banned

Grandma: The series x? The one that costs $200 more than the other?

Dude. People are not stupid. If something is the most expensive it of course is the best and latest one looking at consoles at least.

BigLee74

Absolutely nothing thread again. I'm pretty sure the OP knew that wasn't the proper Xbox Series X reveal, and was merely a teaser on its looks and the fact that it existed.

Still, let's make another thread thinly disguised to have a pop at MS and Xbox. 😉

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Absolutely nothing thread again. I'm pretty sure the OP knew that wasn't the proper Xbox Series X reveal, and was merely a teaser on its looks and the fact that it existed.

Still, let's make another thread thinly disguised to have a pop at MS and Xbox. 😉

It’s quite obvious isn’t it? I guess they could have showed off a current-gen looking title like Godfall and the opinion would differ from the OP.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Really daft but we sold my in-laws phones yesterday, because they upgraded - an iPhone 6 and a 6s.

I shit you not, but this little old man bought the 6s off us. And HE knew he wanted the 6s because it had “that fancy touch stuff that isn’t on the 6”.

So there’s this old bloke stood in my hall, who knew exactly what he wanted and why. He knew the difference between a 6 and a 6s.

Yet you’re telling me in this golden age of “ok google, how do I give a prostate orgasm to my horse?”, Dad won’t be able to figure out that Tommy wants the new Xbox? The one that will cover the walls in all the shops because of advertising? And will be more expansive?

Because it’s named oddly?

K.

Bigpuddycat

Neo Member
(Note: comparisons to the PS5/PS4/Sony are done for the purpose of providing context and a slightly more detailed response)

Four reasons the Xbox Series X feels off:

1) No 'next-gen' features announced. As corny as it was at the time, the PS4's integration of share features (i.e. Video and screenshot capturing, broadcast to Ustream, Share button) felt like 'next-step in gaming' features. Thus far, Microsoft haven't announced Xbox Series X (terrible terrible name btw) features that feel like the future. This is why Sony are consistently bringing up 3D audio and haptic feedback. While both features have existed elsewhere in some form, they're fresh to the console space and serve as immediate differentiators between current-gen and next-gen. Both features could end up sucking, but both features already make the PS5 feel like it will offer a never-had-before experience. It's really really really important for the new shiny thing to offer something that people haven't experienced before.

2) From a games and franchises perspective, the Xbox One did a measurably horrible job of setting the stage for the Xbox Series X. It's really hard to get excited about the next Xbox when the last one completely shat the bed in terms of games. More teraflops and CPU juice are great, but when the conversation around Xbox games is --after almost two decades of Microsoft being in console gaming -- about another Halo, another Forza, and another Fable, it's just really really hard to look forward to the XSX.

3) All of the big features announced for the XSX --virtually no load times, raytracing, cloud streaming, 8K support -- are features that the PS5 has. I think in hindsight, that Wired article was a smarter move than I (and I'm guessing a couple of other people) thought. It seemed like such a non-event to detail the PS5 (and what it was bringing to the table) in boring text. However, what that article really did was establish the aforementioned features as stuff that PlayStation is bringing to the table. The effect of that is even though the XSX has the same features, due to the timing of that article, the XSX comes across like it's copying the PS5. It's difficult to get excited by a seemingly 'me-too' product.

4) Microsoft have, as a result of poor and sagging sales results for their IP, made all of their first-party games non-exclusive. You don't need an Xbox to play Xbox games. The consequence of that decision is that when it's time to sell a new Xbox device, the early-adopters of new consoles (i.e. us) are even less incentivized to go out and get one. On top of that, all of their first-party titles for the next two years will be on the XB1. So the new Xbox 'feels off' because all of its software will be available elsewhere. Frankly, that's a pretty bad space to be in.

redfirm

Banned
The focus of microsoft is games. they have made this really clear. the new box is just a new box in the xbox ecosystem. the whole reason you are feeling this way is because they want to promote the whole play everywhere feeling and not, this box is the only thing you need to own.

Lone Wolf

(Note: comparisons to the PS5/PS4/Sony are done for the purpose of providing context and a slightly more detailed response)

1) No 'next-gen' features announced. As corny as it was at the time, the PS4's integration of share features (i.e. Video and screenshot capturing, broadcast to Ustream, Share button) felt like 'next-step in gaming' features. Thus far, Microsoft haven't announced Xbox Series X (terrible terrible name btw) features that feel like the future. This is why Sony are consistently bringing up 3D audio and haptic feedback. While both features have existed elsewhere in some form, they're fresh to the console space and serve as immediate differentiators between current-gen and next-gen. Both features could end up sucking, but both features already make the PS5 feel like it will offer a never-had-before experience. It's really really really important for the new shiny thing to offer something that people haven't experienced before.

2) From a games and franchises perspective, the Xbox One did a measurably horrible job of setting the stage for the Xbox Series X. It's really hard to get excited about the next Xbox when the last one completely shat the bed in terms of games. More teraflops and CPU juice are great, but when the conversation around Xbox games is --after almost two decades of Microsoft being in console gaming -- about another Halo, another Forza, and another Fable, it's just really really hard to look forward to the XSX.

3) All of the big features announced for the XSX --virtually no load times, raytracing, cloud streaming, 8K support -- are features that the PS5 has. I think in hindsight, that Wired article was a smarter move than I (and I'm guessing a couple of other people) thought. It seemed like such a non-event to detail the PS5 (and what it was bringing to the table) in boring text. However, what that article really did was establish the aforementioned features as stuff that PlayStation is bringing to the table. The effect of that is even though the XSX has the same features, due to the timing of that article, the XSX comes across like it's copying the PS5. It's difficult to get excited by a seemingly 'me-too' product.

4) Microsoft have, as a result of poor and sagging sales results for their IP, made all of their first-party games non-exclusive. You don't need an Xbox to play Xbox games. The consequence of that decision is that when it's time to sell a new Xbox device, the early-adopters of new consoles (i.e. us) are even less incentivized to go out and get one. On top of that, all of their first-party titles for the next two years will be on the XB1. So the new Xbox 'feels off' because all of its software will be available elsewhere. Frankly, that's a pretty bad space to be in.
How often do you play your Xbox One?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Neither console has had a proper unveiling yet but sure let’s shit on MS for doing an appalling job, while Sony released a logo and get free pizza.

Keep moving those goal posts, kids.

onQ123

Actually they have announced a share button

onQ123

The focus of microsoft is games. they have made this really clear. the new box is just a new box in the xbox ecosystem. the whole reason you are feeling this way is because they want to promote the whole play everywhere feeling and not, this box is the only thing you need to own.

This is pretty much what I said , I feel like it's Microsoft's intention not to make people feel like this is a completely new generation. it seem like they are pointing this out but people are ignoring it.

I really think this is a smart move for Microsoft because it's expanding the user base & building trust for people buying a Xbox game today.

redfirm

Banned
This is pretty much what I said , I feel like it's Microsoft's intention not to make people feel like this is a completely new generation. it seem like they are pointing this out but people are ignoring it.

I really think this is a smart move for Microsoft because it's expanding the user base & building trust for people buying a Xbox game today.
its really smart, but at the same time they now need to deliver really good games, because if they fail on what they are focusing on, they will be in a world of pain.

onQ123

its really smart, but at the same time they now need to deliver really good games, because if they fail on what they are focusing on, they will be in a world of pain.

The biggest games of the last few generations have been multi-platform & pretty much playable on a toaster so I don't see this as something that's going to hurt Xbox.

If you think about it gaming haven't changed much since the 1st Xbox & the control interface of Xbox haven't changed much either almost to the point where you kinda wonder why didn't they do this earlier because Xbox 360's 80 million sold would have been a good starting point for a expanding platform .

Are you playing on a 4K TV ?
Yes sir, I also have a 4K monitor on my computer.

As a note, resolution is important in its own way (pixel quantity has a quality of its own). However, contrarily to every generation before I find the jump in resolution less important, maybe I'm getting old, but from my couch it's pretty hard to discern a native moving 4k image to a 1080p (or 1440p) one on the TV at least, the computer monitor is something else as far as I am concerned. Obviously anyway at that point we expect next gen consoles to deliver smooth native 4K in most games - with close to Ultra details.

It should alleviate a lot of confusion because they're no doubt going to discontinue the One S/X pretty quickly.
They'll discontinue it when Lockhart releases for sure and they have something in that lower end price range to replace the XO consoles.

There's no reason not to when your console is fully backwards compatible.

LixhulHot

Banned
It is anything but intentional.

MS's next gen games are 12 months late. No more and no less. Any excuses to justify it as some grand stratedgy is just smoke and mirrors. And all these threads trying to talk about porting games down are part of that smoke and mirror illusion show.

Scarlet has its 1st party exclusives delayed because Microsoft can't finish the games on schedule. This is the only thing that is real.

This is exactly the case.

Microsoft have no Xbox Series X games to show, plain and simple. They are lacking very hard in the studios department now and it's shown the past few years.

This is the very reason why XSX will contain no exclusives for 2 years, which is already a generation-killing move. PS5 has already"won".

LixhulHot

Banned
I think you completely missed what OP was trying to say.
In any case, Sony will release maybe two or three -at the most- PS5 exclusives on launch. So probably on par with MS. Is Sony late to the party as well?

Have you not been following the news? XSX will have zero exclusives 2 years from launch...

JLB

Banned
Have you not been following the news? XSX will have zero exclusives 2 years from launch...

Two years from now, and actually theres no exclusives in xbox like for the last two years. Dont worry, ps will get there on 2 years or so.

edit: read it like a rap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom