• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something looks severely suspicious about Halo: Infinite...

Edit: This is apparently the only Halo game we're gonna be getting anytime in the near future, and that means pretty much a decade. God help us.

While I'm far from the only one to take note of the severely disappointing visuals, what baffles me, further, is how much of a downgrade it looks like compared to previous trailers and even previous Halo games. This and the Halo: Infinite we've seen in 2018 and 2019 look like completely different games.

The art style looks like it severely changed, especially looking back at the initial Slipspace engine demonstration from 2018. The world looks vastly inferior, and the poor lighting, animations and textures don't do it any favors. The art style looks like it's undergone even more severe deviations from its predecessors, inching a few steps closer to the more cartoonish appearance of free-to-play Battle Royale games. The designs on the enemies looks pretty phoned in, from the elites to the jackals, but embarrassingly bad with the brutes, and especially with that last close-up looking like a late 7th gen game.

The physics also seem sketchy. There's no weight to the gunshots, reloads, or even melees, as well as the uses of the grappling hook. It's especially apparent during that warthog jump for me.

All of that contaminates the sound design, as no weapon sounded satisfying to fire. The reload sound for the pistol at 4:24 just felt phoned in.

The writing and voice acting seem still in the realm of Halo 5's. Apparently, Alanah Pearce said she's heard that the 5 year wait for Infinite's release has a lot to do with 343 scrapping a supposedly existing narrative after the backlash over 5, that alone taking 2 years of production. The dialogue sounds pretty iffy, especially from the painfully generic bad guy speech, in the end, same with the set up, so is the delivery. The pilot especially seems like a vastly different character from what we've seen of him during last year's trailer.

This really looks like a much cheaper game than what we've seen before. Unlike other demos, not much emphasis was placed on the new engine's power. This really looks, sounds and feels like a much more phoned in game than its previous teasers and trailers indicated, and I don't think 343 would ever put this out, intentionally.

Jim Ryan's Addendum: "As we saw in today's event, the term 'development hell' resonated with the demo shown by 343i and here at Sony, we pride ourselves into making sure we keep our best and most talented cucks at the helm of our Worldwide Studios. My personal PR assistant and Kojima's personal mascot , MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , has informed me of the following departures that plagued 343i studios over the past year or so. Please Enjoy."

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Edit: This is apparently the only Halo game we're gonna be getting anytime in the near future, and that means pretty much a decade. God help us.

While I'm far from the only one to take note of the severely disappointing visuals, what baffles me, further, is how much of a downgrade it looks like compared to previous trailers and even previous Halo games. This and the Halo: Infinite we've seen in 2018 and 2019 look like completely different games.

The art style looks like it severely changed, especially looking back at the initial Slipspace engine demonstration from 2018. The world looks vastly inferior, and the poor lighting, animations and textures don't do it any favors. The art style looks like it's undergone even more severe deviations from its predecessors, inching a few steps closer to the more cartoonish appearance of free-to-play Battle Royale games. The designs on the enemies looks pretty phoned in, from the elites to the jackals, but embarrassingly bad with the brutes, and especially with that last close-up looking like a late 7th gen game.

The physics also seem sketchy. There's no weight to the gunshots, reloads, or even melees, as well as the uses of the grappling hook. It's especially apparent during that warthog jump for me.

All of that contaminates the sound design, as no weapon sounded satisfying to fire. The reload sound for the pistol at 4:24 just felt phoned in.

The writing and voice acting seem still in the realm of Halo 5's. Apparently, Alanah Pearce said she's heard that the 5 year wait for Infinite's release has a lot to do with 343 scrapping a supposedly existing narrative after the backlash over 5, that alone taking 2 years of production. The dialogue sounds pretty iffy, especially from the painfully generic bad guy speech, in the end, same with the set up, so is the delivery. The pilot especially seems like a vastly different character from what we've seen of him during last year's trailer.

This really looks like a much cheaper game than what we've seen before. Unlike other demos, not much emphasis was placed on the new engine's power. This really looks, sounds and feels like a much more phoned in game than its previous teasers and trailers indicated, and I don't think 343 would ever put this out, intentionally.

I agree and it has also been pointed out tht there are tweets saying this was being shown on pc. I find tht kind of hard to believe since it looked so meh. Are my eyes playing games with? Since I just finished the awesome looking tlou2 and am playing the gorgeous GOT? Idk man it didn't look gd to me today.

VertigoOA

Banned
Apparently Series X is actually launching with Destiny 2 Beyond Light and not halo as its biggest gamespass release.

343 are hacks

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

What you expect from a gamepass game? Quality?

Seems like building a new hardware platform, new engine and new game is too much.

There's more than just graphics I'm not impressed with e.g. the AI hasn't improved at all, physics didn't have anything interesting.

Where are all the next gen elements dialled up to 11?

Jim told me to stay away from you.
EdozQGnWoAIEqEX

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

I don't know if 343 have played any FPS games in the last 5 years. But the gunplay, enemy encounters and feel of everything feels so previous gen.

It looks serviceably nice but as a FPS shooting game, the base mechanics still scream 360.

Jtibh

Banned
Stating facts, no insults. If it was PSNow with the same library we would’ve read a different post. Hilarious.
Oh really billy boy?
Then do some digging and read what i write about gamepass and psnow and how shit psnow is compared to gamepass which i have both.

And not that you are the most intelligent here but ok i spell it out for you.

What you expect from a game that is built for gamepass? And is xbox only and not a timed exclusive?
Of course you wont get high budget games like tlou2 , you get lesser quality games.
Period.

Get your shit straight before you attack me again

Dr Bass

What you expect from a gamepass game? Quality?

There are good games on Game Pass. I'm not sure I would say there are "exceptional" games. Maybe older ones.

(Thank you Mista for taking my comment about The Messenger in good fun.)

I feel like the very nature of the service might prevent a lot of great games though. Take the Last of Us 2. Ignore what you think of the politics, it sold 4 million in a day or so. That's nearly a quarter of a billion dollars from one game in one day. The ROI on that has to be huge. You'd have to assume the unit economics of Game Pass just won't support a game like TLOU because the potential for ROI on ONE game isn't there. MS would have to basically make big games as a loss leader, and based on what they are doing with Halo it seems like they can't even manage that. How much money have they spent supporting 343i at this point? Game Pass feels like it's just trying to be the gaming version of Office 365. It's purely an accounting goal for MS at this point IMO.

thelastword

Banned
the painfully generic bad guy speech, in the end, same with the set up, so is the delivery. The pilot especially seems like a vastly different character from what we've seen of him during last year's trailer.

Agreed with everything. Yet this bit in particular. I tend to like proper voice acting, especially from bad guys, but I stopped listening to his speech because it had no conviction and made no sense. When Zedonius with the same teeth-set gave his speech in NG2, I listened, it was awesome, but this guy all I could see was the bad textures and underwhelming character model...

I think one thing is clear, people are finally understanding that catering to XBOX ONE, it means that these games still need to run on these old systems and it severely limits the ambition for these games....Even then, 343i says they are taking full advantage of the Series X, it's SSD etc, but you don't see it do you. It will just look like a last gen game at 60fps or 120fps....I happen to think Destiny, which they showed during the show looks better than Halo Infinite, especially the effects and the world in Destiny...

Phantasy Star was the only passable game there imo.

Mista

Banned
Oh really billy boy?
Then do some digging and read what i write about gamepass and psnow and how shit psnow is compared to gamepass which i have both.

And not that you are the most intelligent here but ok i spell it out for you.

What you expect from a game that is built for gamepass? And is xbox only and not a timed exclusive?
Of course you wont get high budget games like tlou2 , you get lesser quality games.
Period.

Get your shit straight before you attack me again
What has a game being "built" for game pass have anything in the matter of the quality??

You have high budget games that made it day one on game pass. Thats why you make any sense but okay, you're absolutely right.

Reindeer

That's not good. The narrative from some Xboys was that it was running on current gen (hence poor visuals) and the game was gonna look much better on Series X and PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lone Wolf

I wouldn’t be impressed if this was running on an Xbox One X. This game must have been rebooted at least once during these 5 years. 343 should be embarrassed. Stinkles I hate you.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's not good. The narrative from some Xboys was that it was running on current gen (hence poor visuals) and the game was gonna look much better on Series X and PC.

It's crazy bcus every presentation thy do thy use pc's from crackdown 3 to flight simulator. At this point its expected and known.

Reindeer

It's crazy bcus every presentation thy do thy use pc's from crackdown 3 to flight simulator. At this point its expected and known.
It makes sense for them to show their games on PC since that's one of the platforms on which they release their games, a more powerful platform, but it sucks when they do that while the show is focused on console like Series X.

Reindeer

Have not seen the whole 8 minute gameplay clip yet.

Will check all the game videos during my lunch break.
Check the one right at the end when the hologram view goes away, it straight up looks like they ported textures from Xbox 360.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Halo has always been a franchise that should have evolved (NPI) or retired. The meachics, story, etc. all are a products of the 2000s. The lack of new gun mechanics (ADS), the same dumb talking aliens with shields, the goofy sci-fi story, etc. Doom and Wolfenstein are examples of a dead franchise that was reborn in the new era. Halo has never really changed and it shows. It survives on nostalgia. Even Halo 3 was quite boring, it should have died when Bungie left.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

What has a game being "built" for game pass have anything in the matter of the quality??

You have high budget games that made it day one on game pass. Thats why you make any sense but okay, you're absolutely right.
That was the thing I didn't understand from the original comment. Majority of the games they showed today are launching on Game Pass. You can say whatever you want about Halo Infinite, but bogging down Game Pass is as a whole is absurd.

Halo Infinite, while it can still come out better than 4 and 5, looks to be a result of development hell, and, well, a subpar developer. 343 has come around with the MC Collection on PC, but I think they still have a lot to learn. Maybe Infinite will be their swan song? Who knows. But if Infinite bombs or does subpar I wonder what's going to come of Halo in general.

Mista

Banned
That was the thing I didn't understand from the original comment. Majority of the games they showed today are launching on Game Pass. You can say whatever you want about Halo Infinite, but bogging down Game Pass is as a whole is absurd.

Halo Infinite, while it can still come out better than 4 and 5, looks to be a result of development hell, and, well, a subpar developer. 343 has come around with the MC Collection on PC, but I think they still have a lot to learn. Maybe Infinite will be their swan song? Who knows. But if Infinite bombs or does subpar I wonder what's going to come of Halo in general.
Eh, what to say more when everything is right there? No point in wasting your time discussing with half-brained people

Top Bottom