• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers | Review Thread

nikos

This game is actually really good so far. Everything about it feels really good. Doesn't have that awkward feeling I hate to admit Sonic games have for me. Atmosphere is great. Soundstrack is incredible.

The PC version doesn't support ultrawide but a quick hexedit got it to almost 100%. I'm running it at 5760x2400 (DSR from 3840x1600) ultrawide with 8x Supersampled AA forced via Nvidia Control Panel. Motion blur disabled. Really cleaned up the image quality. 9900k/RTX 4090

HcUIctU.jpg

SCB3

I watched a couple of reviews and being a massive Sonic fan I'll pick it up, but yea that Pop in is really distracting now that I've seen it, I can usually ignore it (I mean ffs I played more than enough PS2 games with that issue)

But it does seem like a fun chilled out kinda game, my only issue is that Sonic doesn't seem that fast? Or at least I've not seen segments of him at full speed at least

Whitecrow

Banned
I just refunded it.

It's a good Sonic sandbox, but sucks as a game.

As I expected, I got pretty tired of springing and railing pretty quickly. Having 10000 puzzles of rails and springs and wall climbing in one single game is waaaaay beyond abuse.
Character interactions, at least the few I saw, were not bad, but not good either. Typical Sonic is the hero, the rest are just there.

Cyberspace controls suck and there's a lot of people saying that's the worst part of the game.

Maybe story have some great bits, but it's not worth the money IMO.

.hacked

How is the pc version? My son is getting into sonic and Mario and plays sonic origins.

If pc port runs well he might like to watch daddy play a 3d sonic (and if I can just let him run around in a big open world he might dig that, that’s what he does in Mario 3d world).

sigmaZ

This game is actually really good so far. Everything about it feels really good. Doesn't have that awkward feeling I hate to admit Sonic games have for me. Atmosphere is great. Soundstrack is incredible.

The PC version doesn't support ultrawide but a quick hexedit got it to almost 100%. I'm running it at 5760x2400 (DSR from 3840x1600) ultrawide with 8x Supersampled AA forced via Nvidia Control Panel. Motion blur disabled. Really cleaned up the image quality. 9900k/RTX 4090

HcUIctU.jpg
How GIF

BlackTron

As a Sonic fan you would think I would at least be excited to TRY it but still I don't know.

I just really, really don't wanna fight PSO enemies as Sonic. Every time I look at it I feel queasy.

Unknown?

173 reviews on Steam and 91% positive... does it mean that "critics" are wrong again?
Well the critics would be closer to an 80% if it weren't for the few really low scores dragging it down.

Good to see people are enjoying it though. Having small children and little time, I had to go with this rather than a violent game.

sigmaZ

Welp. After playing over an hour, I can safely say this is not for me. This feels like some kind of indie game or mod. I usually don't care about graphics if things are stylized right, but yeesh. If I had to say a postive...It seems they got the speed and momentum right for the most part. Got a refund which I will be putting towards Tactics Ogre in a few days.

The game looks fun.

Not a huge fan of Sonic per se; personally I think he's a great character but his excessive speed is the reason why there are so few good 3D Sonic games and why controlling him can be frustrating imprecise with a camera from hell to boot. Not a great combination generally for a platform game in my view.

I have played most of the Sonic games though; I especially liked the Sonic Adventure games on Dreamcast and Generations on PC was great. Most of the games have been sub-par though but Frontiers at least is attempting something new so I am willing to give it a try. Pre-ordered it for my Xbox Series X (hopefully it will arrive today), mainly because I will be getting God of War: Ragnarok for my PS5 tomorrow so thought it made more sense to get for the Xbox platform. I would have bought the game on PC but my recent experiences with Unreal Engine 4 games on that platform have not been positive so I gave that a miss just in case (in case anyone is wondering, UE4 plus DirectX 12 is usually a recipe for shader compilation stutter on PC which can be far more infuriating that this game's bizarre pop in issues, which I would expect can be addressed somewhat on PC via INI tweaks).

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

HcUIctU.jpg
Are you encountering any stutter on your playthrough?

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Those Cyperspace levels in Sonic Frontiers really fun just like in Mario Sunshine secret levels. I enjoyed played the secret levels more than the actual Mario Sunshine game.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why do the reviews keep saying this a cool foundation to build upon when sonic team throws everything out with the each game and starts some new haphazardly thought out concept with each new game. What's his name was already talking about Sonic Adventure 3

RoboFu

One of the green rats
9/10 so awesome! I love the mix of rpg and mario styke puccles int he overworld while have traditional "sonic 3d" levels in the digital world. I docked it one point for a weird ass sonic voice.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why do the reviews keep saying this a cool foundation to build upon when sonic team throws everything out with the each game and starts some new haphazardly thought out concept with each new game. What's his name was already talking about Sonic Adventure 3
They used a similar template for Colors and Generations.

thatJohann

My PS5 impressions so far:

+ Open world feels like a giant Tony Hawk map, love finding new rails and trampolines and chaining them together in combos.
+ Combat is surprisingly fun, I really like the Sonic Boom attack using the L2 button, dual sense makes it feel even better.
+ Looks and runs great at 60fps (aside from the pop-in)
+ Digging the music and the overall atmospheric vibe, so chill

- Already lost interest in the story
- Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing most of the time, the map is just a bunch of icons so I'm just setting markers and seeing what happens.
- omg, the pop-in is so bad
- Not a fan of the cyberspace levels, just did one level and have been playing in the open world island the rest of the time.

Overall, still happy with my purchase, I still recommend it.

7/10 (so far)

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It’s amazing how spoiled gamers have become with these nonsensical 9s and 10s for games that clearly are not perfect…then believe that a game in the 70s is bad. Newsflash, a 70+ rating is not bad.
Disclaimer - I will not be getting this game as I’m not a Sonic fan, but just knew people would be bashing it in the 70s 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s amazing how spoiled gamers have become with these nonsensical 9s and 10s for games that clearly are not perfect…then believe that a game in the 70s is bad. Newsflash, a 70+ rating is not bad.
Disclaimer - I will not be getting this game as I’m not a Sonic fan, but just knew people would be bashing it in the 70s 🤷‍♂️
It bears repeating: any game from Nintendo, Sony, ND, Rockstar, Bethesda, FromSoft, you name it - getting a sub-80 would be called an unmitigated disaster. It’s curious how we should praise Sonic for scraping a 70+, and how reviewers mysteriously warmed up to this game and turned a blind eye on flaws they would roast any AAA release for.

If this were a Mario game we’d be hearing the usual litany of “this’d be good if it didn’t have the Mario name on it”. But it‘s Sonic and people are not saying that, so… maybe it’s just par for the course for Sonic, ie a middling game falling short of the inexplicable hype some people had for it before release.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because people are too obsess with "scores" these days but reality is games getting super high score is no guarantee you gonna enjoy the game and vice versa.

I enjoyed games like NieR Gestalt despite getting low scores, while I didnt enjoyed Horizon AT ALL despite it got such high scores.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Because people are too obsess with "scores" these days but reality is games getting super high score is no guarantee you gonna enjoy the game and vice versa.

I enjoyed games like NieR Gestalt despite getting low scores, while I didnt enjoyed Horizon AT ALL despite it got such high scores.
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Some of my favorite games have been high 60 low 70. It just bums me out that so many people base their purchasing decisions on a score put forth by someone who most likely has a different opinion than themselves.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It bears repeating: any game from Nintendo, Sony, ND, Rockstar, Bethesda, FromSoft, you name it - getting a sub-80 would be called an unmitigated disaster. It’s curious how we should praise Sonic for scraping a 70+, and how reviewers mysteriously warmed up to this game and turned a blind eye on flaws they would roast any AAA release for.

If this were a Mario game we’d be hearing the usual litany of “this’d be good if it didn’t have the Mario name on it”. But it‘s Sonic and people are not saying that, so… maybe it’s just par for the course for Sonic, ie a middling game falling short of the inexplicable hype some people had for it before release.
Great points, and really solidifies what I mean as well, although you definitely said it better lol. I believe it goes both ways. Realistically, the best way to know the true score of a game is to play it and be the judge yourself.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Some of my favorite games have been high 60 low 70. It just bums me out that so many people base their purchasing decisions on a score put forth by someone who most likely has a different opinion than themselves.
In my opinion those people dont trust their own taste. I trust my own taste in games more than any reviews and for most part it hasn't failed me.

Ristifer

If any, these 8/10 reviews prove that hardcore Sonic fans would be okay with actually getting fucked in the ass with a hedgehog if it meant getting a new Sonic game.

"Buuuuut the potential, buuuuut the concept".

Motherfucker, this is a 60 dollar game. Have some standards, for fuck's sake.
This. Sonic Team has had attempt after attempt to get a formula, and they've shat themselves repeatedly. They finally come out with something that many reviewers are calling a "foundation" or "template" for things to come. Not good enough.

I'm glad people are enjoying the game, but if all this is to many is a foundation for improvement, then you're just waiting another 5-10 years for what you really want. By default, that makes this game a failure.

Nvzman

If any, these 8/10 reviews prove that hardcore Sonic fans would be okay with actually getting fucked in the ass with a hedgehog if it meant getting a new Sonic game.

"Buuuuut the potential, buuuuut the concept".

Motherfucker, this is a 60 dollar game. Have some standards, for fuck's sake.
Ive been playing the game for a few hours now and I think its pretty good. Most of the complaints are sort of nonsensical if anything to me. People are complaining about all the "random ass floating platforms and shit" but since when do platformers not rely on this trope? Mario games have been doing this forever (Mario Sunshine might be the only exception I can even think of with this trope and even then it had its fair share of it), A Hat in Time (fantastic game btw) did this a lot too, its really not an unusual trope.
If anything the rails being all in the air makes sense within this game's context as its basically the game's fast travel system, which is an original idea that I appreciate. Its a cool way to integrate Sonic's mechanics with traditional open-level design. It reminds me of people slamming the game's art style as realistic and clashing too hard with the characters, when the game itself acknowledges this several times and its blatantly obvious its intentional. Especially given the cyberspace stages revert to traditional Sonic artstyle.
The only thing I'll give is the pop-in is really noticeable if you are looking for it, but personally I don't really give a shit. At least on PC I'm not really bothered by it.

I'll be honest, given the reception of Bayonetta 3 (a Nintendo-published game of recent release with some spotty issues of its own), despite its absolutely horrendous technical issues and jank that are far more glaring than whatever Sonic Frontiers has, I think it's pretty safe to say that people really do just have it out for Sonic. The game is perfectly fine and a lot of people who are actually playing it are enjoying it. It might not be for everyone, but when people make it a personal attack on anyone who dares likes the game, you know you just sound ridiculous.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My PS5 impressions so far:

+ Open world feels like a giant Tony Hawk map, love finding new rails and trampolines and chaining them together in combos.
+ Combat is surprisingly fun, I really like the Sonic Boom attack using the L2 button, dual sense makes it feel even better.
+ Looks and runs great at 60fps (aside from the pop-in)
+ Digging the music and the overall atmospheric vibe, so chill

- Already lost interest in the story
- Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing most of the time, the map is just a bunch of icons so I'm just setting markers and seeing what happens.
- omg, the pop-in is so bad
- Not a fan of the cyberspace levels, just did one level and have been playing in the open world island the rest of the time.

Overall, still happy with my purchase, I still recommend it.

7/10 (so far)

some notes that may help you and others:

- there is always a icon on were to go next.
- You have to collect hearts to go through amy's story bits for the island.
- You need to do the missions in the traditional sonic levels to get keys to unlock gems.
- You need items from fishing! to unlock fast travel.
- get sonic boom ability as soon as possible.

Belthazar

This is, by far, the most fun I've ever had with a 3d Sonic. The controls are really good and the loop is actually very fun. Loving it and it gives that feeling of always wanting going after just one more collectable.

Top Bottom