• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

jholmes

On an unrelated note, how do the unlocks work? I have a bunch of medals and it told me I can use the Sonic 3 move and the peel out but I don't know how to activate them. (I know how they work in the originals obviously)

On an unrelated note, how do the unlocks work? I have a bunch of medals and it told me I can use the Sonic 3 move and the peel out but I don't know how to activate them. (I know how they work in the originals obviously)

They're only available in no save. Hover the no save slot and open the secrets menu.

It's pretty lame it's so limited. You can only use one move at a time, and only in no save. Meh, luckily there's already a mod for PC fixing that.

jholmes

They're only available in no save. Hover the no save slot and open the secrets menu.

It's pretty lame it's so limited. You can only use one move at a time, and only in no save. Meh, luckily there's already a mod for PC fixing that.

Thanks for the help Congressman, you've got my vote.

fam if u want a hug just say so

why would *I* need a hug

i didn't get stuck in oil ocean
WvIcu1x.png

cordy

Banned
Got this on release day and played the first zone a few times, liked it but couldn't get into it. The second act was much better, I can sorta see where they're taking it but idk. Tried for the next few days, just meh. Music is great though. Anyway, played tonight...

Got to Zone 2 Act 2 and fuck. Ok, I get it now. Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, this shit is dope lol. It's funny how after this point even the first Zone is far more fun. They really hit you over the head here in how things are different. Now it's just a matter of getting used to it. I was never a classic Sonic kid, I was all Mario and when I started playing Sonic it was mostly with A2B, Generations was nice though.

I'll play more tomorrow but man the music is so crazy good it keeps making me pause this podcast. I'm juggling lol.

Ultimadrago

This is the best Sonic game in a while and makes me sorry for ever somewhat compromising with Generations. All hail Sonic Mania and Blue Spheres still sucks.

And I already know people aren't bringing up Mania's Mean Bean Machine track enough, so I'm gonna do it.

MrBadger

That's the main one. The other one is the Colours bashing. The other less bad but still tut tut is the mild Generations bashing. Man these games didn't retroactively become bad.

Gonna be honest, Colours is a bit of a mixed bag. I love the setting and music, but it had a few too many 2D levels that controlled like ass. I loved it when it came out but my opinion's gone down since then.

Generations is still really good though. Not Mania good, but probably the best Sonic Team game since the 90's

Question: I know that the Blue Sphere stages filter out the ones you got a gold on until you complete all of them, but is that also the case if you completed all of them but gotten a few silvers? As in, would I only be playing the silver stages until I get a gold on them, or would all the other stages be added back and I have to basically try to get lucky to re-do a silver stage?

SoulUnison

Banned
Ya know, I thought I liked Blue Spheres, but it's really just tedious as hell.
Especially when you're going for a Perfect because there's such a time gap disproportionate to the difficulty between figuring a stage out and executing it.

Would have liked to see an original Bonus Stage or even just the return of the S3&K Gumball Machine/Gravity Orbs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Question: I know that the Blue Sphere stages filter out the ones you got a gold on until you complete all of them, but is that also the case if you completed all of them but gotten a few silvers? As in, would I only be playing the silver stages until I get a gold on them, or would all the other stages be added back and I have to basically try to get lucky to re-do a silver stage?
You'll only replay stages you need to get gold on. If you got gold, it won't reappear. Once you've gotten gold for every single one, all of them will be put back into rotation.

sonto340

I respect your opinion even though it is wrong.
Everything wrong (gameplay wise)with forces and a large amount of what was wrong with Lost World stems from colors.
Generations was good because it was developed before the taint of Colors had time to influence it too much.

You all know I’m right.

Colours is so damn good!

- stellar soundtrack.
- interesting level motifs.
- good split between platforming and boost gameplay.
- unintrusive, but decently written story.
- most epic final boss music ever!
- wisps are an interesting and well used power-up.
- 8 bit mode where you can play as your Mii!
- Loads of acts per zone!
- Introduced red rings.
- No butt rock, just one main pop song.
- each zone's overworld music
- only play as Sonic, no real gimmicks that detract from it.
- Quite funny in places.
- The DS version is good too!
- No bad levels. The series best water level since Hydrocity

Bad points: it's not HD and is only on a console I don't use anymore.

MrBadger

I wonder if future Sonic Team games will attempt to make the Classic Sonic physics more accurate. Iizuka's statements always implied that they were choosing not to because they didn't think anyone wanted the physics to be like that.

Yep. It was more those games were not terrible rather than them being good.

I think Colours was good and Generations was great, but the praise Colours and especially Sonic 4 received were boosted because of what came before. "There are no stupid gimmicks/friends and Sonic is the only playable character" were said a lot but they're hardly words of praise. I've always wondered if Lost World would've fared better if it was the first game after Black Knight and Unleashed.

Ferr986

Colours is so damn good!

- stellar soundtrack.
- Introduced red rings.
- Quite funny in places.

Agree. I do think Colors is the best 3D Sonic game since Adventure 1. It's also the most platform based 3D Sonic game.

Falk

that puzzling face
can we all just reach a compromise agree colors was the best 2d sonic game since genesis or something

TrueBlue

Modern Sonic in Generations holds up despite Mania. It's the Classic levels which look worse now - though I maintain they're perfectly fun little levels with some nice ideas.

ckaneo

Modern Sonic in Generations holds up despite Mania. It's the Classic levels which look worse now - though I maintain they're perfectly fun little levels with some nice ideas.

Yeah, but forcing classic sonic in Forces was stupid.

Also I learned recently that "dreamcast" sonic was suppose to be in generations but Ryan Drummond turned down the role. Sucks. Would have loved to see them get one last crack at the gameplay.

TrueBlue

Also I learned recently that "dreamcast" sonic was suppose to be in generations but Ryan Drummond turned down the role. Sucks. Would have loved to see them get one last crack at the gameplay.

Oh, absolutely. Forces needed the simple focus on Modern that Mania gave for Classic. Oh well.

Adventure 2 Sonic game play is great. Love that enemy combo system (especially extending with bounce), hidden grind bonuses, and the wonky-but-kinda ridiculous spin dash.

Colours is so damn good!

- stellar soundtrack.
- Introduced red rings.
- Quite funny in places.

This is all correct.
Throw in that challenge mode is a delicious way to replay the game with no nonsense.

MrBadger

You guys are making me want to replay Colours

I think the classic levels in Generations stand out as being genuinely fun stages with good level design and interesting gimmicks despite the physics being incorrect. They're miles ahead of the 2D levels in Colours, Sonic 4 and Lost World, and it's a shame the one stage we've seen in Forces looks closer to Sonic 4 than Generations.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Colours is so damn good!

- stellar soundtrack.
- Introduced red rings.
- Quite funny in places.

My man.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I mean if you feel Mania is lacking in bottomless pit death opportunities, I can understand that thinking.
I never got the complaints about bottomless pits. You crew up - you die, what's the problem here? Of course, they can be positioned in awkward ways (typically: an action to prevent falling into one is required before it is possible to see there is one) but I do not think that is an overly common thing in Sonic games.

3D Sonic Opinion Time:
For me Sonic Colors is the best 3D game from the series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also like Generations but I personally prefer Colors. In the end, I think both games are great. And I hate Adventure 2 so much lol.

Now, as for mania, I love it. My only complaints about it are the lack of level transitions in the later levels and the ending which is kind of a bummer. At the end of the day it is pretty much the game I've been waiting for since Sonic & Knuckles and I hope to see another game from the team as soon as possible.

Tizoc

Colours is so damn good!

- stellar soundtrack.
- Introduced red rings.
- Quite funny in places.

You need to start living that Dolphin lyfe yo.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I never got the complaints about bottomless pits. You crew up - you die, what's the problem here? Of course, they can be positioned in awkward ways (typically: an action to prevent falling into one is required before it is possible to see there is one) but I do not think that is an overly common thing in Sonic games.

I like Rush, but the bottomless pit punishment went overboard being the issue. Screwing up a route in Sonic shouldn't = instant death as you argue. It rarely was the end result in the 16-bit games, which most often instead pushed you onto a lower route with slower progression and traps. There isn't a Sonic game that featured as many lives lost to pits as Rush, its added tension conflicted somewhat with its propensity for boosting and blind traps. Doesn't mean the game is poor, but it's the design.

Ultimadrago

Bash is a harsh word for Generations. I still like it okay, but not as much as I thought given the situation years ago.
And I was never a poster hailing it as the best around thing ever either, mind.

Ya know, I thought I liked Blue Spheres, but it's really just tedious as hell.
Especially when you're going for a Perfect because there's such a time gap disproportionate to the difficulty between figuring a stage out and executing it.

Would have liked to see an original Bonus Stage or even just the return of the S3&K Gumball Machine/Gravity Orbs.

I could not be alone on this!
I enjoyed chasing the UFOs fine, while it still allowed me opportunities to slip up.

Better than Generations.

A SKY WITH STARS SO BRIGHT
THE COLOURS FEEL SO RIGHT

Gah! Don't sing iiiiit!

Main theme aside, Sonic Colors does have some excellent tunes. That's one of the only things I may permit from Itchy's list (as one bullet point, not two or three)!

gelf

Good god I'm terrible at the special stages. Damn you people who hated the half pipes, they were a lot easier for me. I've resorted to just going to first green hill giant ring to attempt them over and over.

Top Bottom