• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Good god I'm terrible at the special stages. Damn you people who hated the half pipes, they were a lot easier for me. I've resorted to just going to first green hill giant ring to attempt them over and over.

You've got somewhere up to two decades+ experience with the old special stages. You probably just don't remember the struggling to get where you are now.

Once you get to the point where you can beat stage 5&6 of these, the whole lot are really easy.

Finally beat the boss from Zone 6 Act 2!

Metal Sonic took me forever to beat.
I couldn't get the timing of bouncing the replica hedgehogs into him right for some reason.

Guess Who

Banned
You guys are making me want to replay Colours

I think the classic levels in Generations stand out as being genuinely fun stages with good level design and interesting gimmicks despite the physics being incorrect. They're miles ahead of the 2D levels in Colours, Sonic 4 and Lost World, and it's a shame the one stage we've seen in Forces looks closer to Sonic 4 than Generations.

Yeah, the classic stages in Generations kind of work *despite* the physics being a bit shitty, because the level designs are so good and clever (my favorite example being Crisis City where
the goalpost gets blown away and you have to chase it
).

Yeah, the classic stages in Generations kind of work *despite* the physics being a bit shitty, because the level designs are so good and clever (my favorite example being Crisis City where
the goalpost gets blown away and you have to chase it
).

Classic stages work extremely well because they broke spindash. You can easily set it up without having to stop and its ridiculously powerful. I almost think it’s faster than boosting, atleast in short-term. It makes classic stages really fun when trying to improve times.

Silvawuff

Any tips on beating the Oil Zone Act 2 boss?

Definitely get some early hits in when the boss first arrives. You can duck to avoid lasers except the one on platform level. Any time you hit the boss you'll get a scorpion tail on the platform you're on. You can use Tails' flight to avoid those mechanics entirely.

The black things that come up and fire shots at you have really good aim, and they fire right when the boss pops up. Change positions every time you whack the boss and he should be toast in no time. Good luck!

NoName999

So get this, I was playing through Flying Battery as Tails. I press down on a button that opens a path blocked by a corkscrew. It was wide enough to go through it so I did. I randomly jumped while under the rising corkscrew....

and I fucking died somehow! >:O

Like seriously. Does it have to act like EVERYTHING from the classic games including glitches like that? Is this one of those diabolical traps from the Sonic 3 manual?

:|

Other than that, recently beat the game as Knuckles. Even got all the Chaos Emeralds with him.

Narroo

I'm surprised many people have trouble with this boss. If you've already died multiple times, then you might start seeing the starting pattern with this boss. Look at where it starts every time, you can score 3-5 hits the moment the fight begins.

Here's a nice, ringless example at 23:33 in this video - https://youtu.be/PF5jsAMzjmU?t=1413

It's mostly an issue with a ton of minor little details that can screw an impatient player up. This boss is a bit wonky with collision detection at various points, and the platforms can be a bit weird. Combine this with how slow the boss is, people tend to rush.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Got all the Chaos Emeralds. I think special stage 4 was the hardest for me. SS 7 was dammed easy. Not easy like 1 and 2 but still not what I expected. Im gonna go for all the silver medals. Not going for gold tho, lol.

SS4>SS5>SS6>SS3>SS7>SS2>SS1

Urishizu

I'm sure I'm super late here, but I just picked this up and got through Chemical Plant. (Spoilers below do not click if you haven't beaten that entire zone)

That boss fight... Perfection. Legitimately caught me off guard.

13ruce

Banned
Any tips on beating the Oil Zone Act 2 boss?

You can get 3-4 free hits at the boss intro if you quickly go to the place where the boss appears.

After that when the boss comes again after a couple of attacks quickly keep hittin him even if you lose rings and he should go down.

or attack those ball tentacles till they are destroyed after that it's very easy takes lobger but is a very safe win

Hm... didn't they say preorders and the CEs for PC would both get Sonic 1? There was no point in putting in my key due to the delay, so I entered it Day 1. Haven't yet gotten Sonic 1 in my library (which I thought I had, but isn't showing up) or a gift copy, either way.

Baleoce

Not a fan of the bonus games in general. Never liked spheres from S3+K, and the handling makes me feel queasy on the chaos emerald stages. But other than that, I'm loving the game so far. So much polish.

Finally unlocked
Mean Bean/Puyo mode.
I've come to really enjoy blue sphere stages. The moment you realise you've almost won is a real heart-pounder. Also, saving yourself from a bad play with well-timed jumps is super fun. I don't know if I'll go for the rest of the medals though, this might be the limit of my skill...

Phu

Banned
Blue spheres are definitely the weakest part of the game; I don't think I can be bothered trying to beat them all. The new UFO catcher stages are great, but man, I'd kill for some halfpipes or even CD UFO stages instead of all those blue sphere planets.

Nyoro SF

Really struggling with the Flying Battery Zone Act 2 boss. The real crux of the issue is the rotating poles. In Sonic 2 it felt extremely easy to know the release timing, but in this game it feels exceptionally difficult to choose the right direction. I have no idea why they changed it.

jman2050

Really struggling with the Flying Battery Zone Act 2 boss. The real crux of the issue is the rotating poles. In Sonic 2 it felt extremely easy to know the release timing, but in this game it feels exceptionally difficult to choose the right direction. I have no idea why they changed it.

Just hold the direction you want to go on and press jump. That's it.

afaik, it's the direction you're holding the dpad in.

Finally beat that evil blue sphere stage. You know the one.

Anyway, all complete. That reward is cruel
You also literally wrote you "don't have time for that crap". Your statements are contradictory.
Not really, one is hyperbolic.

(but also true, I don't have a lot of time for games, so ones in the middle of the pack -- i.e. 7/10s are usually a hard pass. Though I did play a bit of Generations before bailing)

Labolas

Okay got in a conversation with someone who said that this game has a bad design (assuming he's talking about level design.) He went on to said that the game sucks and Generations is a better game. Am I missing something? Because while I like Generations, it doesn't really hold a candle to this game.

Guess Who

Banned
Okay got in a conversation with someone who said that this game has a bad design (assuming he's talking about level design.) He went on to said that the game sucks and Generations is a better game. Am I missing something? Because while I like Generations, it doesn't really hold a candle to this game.

c76.jpg

remz

I think the problem with blue sphere's is that it's too long for just being the checkpoint special stage. I liked the ones in s3 that were like under a minute long and got you some lives/shields.

also, I'm pretty burned out on them from playing s3k so much.

nice work! but
did you try spindashing into the silver sonics when they roll at you?

Yep that's how I did it. But it seemed like the silver sonics would just bounce around randomly when I hit them. Didn't know how to hit them in just the right way to hit Metal Sonic. Plus you had to avoid Metal Sonic's energy blasts at the same time. I was probably just not timing the spin dashes right.

jman2050

Does he happen to be terrible at Sonic games?

Baleoce

I think the problem with blue sphere's is that it's too long for just being the checkpoint special stage. I liked the ones in s3 that were like under a minute long and got you some lives/shields.

also, I'm pretty burned out on them from playing s3k so much.

This is absolutely it. The frequency and length of them makes them a momentum killer rather than a fun little deviation.

cordy

Banned
As someone who didn't play the classic Sonics and jumped on with Adventure 2 Battle, who's been playing since...

This is the best Sonic game trounces any Sonic game that's not a classic Sonic title. Idk about the classics since again, I never played them, but anything after you can't compare them to this. There's just so many different areas you can take a level, so many different things I'm actually paying attention to these days such as momentum too. I've never had to worry about momentum in a Sonic game before this one. Now I'm like "well hell if I launch here and stop here then that'll help me reach-" it's just crazy.

It's things like that which sort of take me out of the fact that I'm playing a Sonic game. It's like I'm moving Sonic around trying to get through the level rather than thinking "ok Sonic's here to run through shit" if that makes any sense.

As someone who didn't play the classic Sonics and jumped on with Adventure 2 Battle, who's been playing since...

This is the best Sonic game trounces any Sonic game that's not a classic Sonic title. Idk about the classics since again, I never played them, but anything after you can't compare them to this. There's just so many different areas you can take a level, so many different things I'm actually paying attention to these days such as momentum too. I've never had to worry about momentum in a Sonic game before this one. Now I'm like "well hell if I launch here and stop here then that'll help me reach-" it's just crazy.

It's things like that which sort of take me out of the fact that I'm playing a Sonic game. It's like I'm moving Sonic around trying to get through the level rather than thinking "ok Sonic's here to run through shit" if that makes any sense.

Definitely go back and play the classic Sonic games if you have a chance. If you enjoyed Mania you'll definitely enjoy them too.

cordy

Banned
Definitely go back and play the classic Sonic games if you have a chance. If you enjoyed Mania you'll definitely enjoy them too.

That's what I plan on doing. It's a very addictive game too. I just want to keep rolling through it and try to see if I can explore every pathway.

This is how the classic Sonic's played, especially Sonic 3&K. It's fantastic.

Narroo

Anyone else get a crash when beating
The Fake Final Boss
in
Knuckles and Knuckles Mode?
Game fades to back and hangs.

Really, just spent several hours sitting down and going through a No Save Run, and the game crashes on me. On No Save Mode. Wonderful. Carp like this always happens to me with PC games. The next time someone claims that PC gaming is superior, I swear I'll slap them.

I don't get why Christian doesn't address the zone transitions... a simple we ran out of time would do. Still just s glaring omission from an amazing game.

I would also like the option for the music to not change when going to super.,,this soundtrack is seriously dope

Doorman

Okay I finally got back around to finishing the game and getting the "full" boss fight and ending.

I'm...kind of underwhelmed, after how well designed most everything else in the game is.
Even after beating it I still feel like I have extremely little idea how the fight mechanics are meant to work. Was finding more rings purely happenstance? How did you control whether you were capable of free-flight or not? Is there actually any useful purpose to the instant-dash thing when it costs rings to use and those seem way more useful to keep your timer high anyway? I just kind of jumped into the bosses and tanked their attacks until they went down.

Also the ending cutscene remained just as brief as ever and doesn't offer much sense of resolution.

Good game overall and I'll still play through Knuckles just to see the altered stages, but since I'm no fan of Getting Blue Spheres endlessly that's probably going to be the extent of my time with this until I randomly revisit it a year or two down the road.

Top Bottom