• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

jman2050

I recall running into only 2 bugs so far, both in Blue Sphere:

stuck between bumpers
incorrect sphere counter

Also, I noticed a lot of Sega advertisement homages throughout Studiopolis:

- To be this good takes ages.
- Pirate TV
- Genesis does.

Is there a "Welcome to the next level" bit in there somewhere? :p

Wait a second, I'm 99% sure there's no timing needed on the FBZ spinning pillars. You just hold left or right when pressing jump and you go that direction.

Sanic

Anyone else feel some input delay on the Sonic 3 bonus rounds? Particularly when the speed gets really high, turning can be too sluggish and delayed that my mistakes come from not being overtly early on hitting the button rather than something actively going wrong.

Yes. I don't know that there's a delay per se, but the timing is definitely different from Sonic 3.

Well I've now beaten mania with all 7 chaos emeralds and most of the blue sphere medals. Props to taxman, whitehead, and everyone involved this isn't just one of the best sonic games ever its one of the best platformers ever. Gonna need to dive in and do a knuckles run to see his few exclusive things. I guess I'll keep going towards the remaining blue sphere medals but afaik the only remaining unlock is
being able to freely play blue spheres when you want, so no rush there

Anth0ny

Anyone else feel some input delay on the Sonic 3 bonus rounds? Particularly when the speed gets really high, turning can be too sluggish and delayed that my mistakes come from not being overtly early on hitting the button rather than something actively going wrong.

Ah, so it's not only me.

Timing is definitely different from Sonic 3.

RRockman

Banned
Yes. I don't know that there's a delay per se, but the timing is definitely different from Sonic 3.

Do you remember the hideous pauses you'd get when collecting spheres at a high enough speed? Seconds of mashing a direction and hoping it'd register was a nightmare.

Holy shit this is game is SO GOOD. I can't believe what I'm playing, I mean I expected old school and was hoping for something that could come close to the old stuff but I didn't think they'd nail it like this. Wow!

nowarning

Played S3&K recently and the blue sphere stages in Mania feel absolutely fine to me.

I'm not one to ask for DLC, but I hope there's some in the pipeline. Not that there's not enough or that I'm not satisfied, it's just so good that I want more.

Played S3&K recently and the blue sphere stages in Mania feel absolutely fine to me.

I'm not one to ask for DLC, but I hope there's some in the pipeline. Not that there's not enough or that I'm not satisfied, it's just so good that I want more.

Lets get some Chaotix levels up in here!

Please

Is it possible to get all the rings and blue spheres in the bonus stages? When you turn the last batch of blue spheres in to rings, the level ends and you can't collect those rings.

Kinsei

Banned
Lets get some Chaotix levels up in here!

Please

A Chaotix level pack would be cool. it would be nice to play those levels without the awful buddy system of Chaotix holding them back.

Is it possible to get all the rings and blue spheres in the bonus stages? When you turn the last batch of blue spheres in to rings, the level ends and you can't collect those rings.

Yes. You need to plan out your route so that the last orb you get isn't one that turns into a ring.

Anth0ny

Holy shit this is game is SO GOOD. I can't believe what I'm playing, I mean I expected old school and was hoping for something that could come close to the old stuff but I didn't think they'd nail it like this. Wow!

Getting Megaman 9 vibes playing through this. And Megaman 9 was a top 5 game of last gen for me.

One simple question:

How does it play with the Joycon on the switch. We know it dosn't have proper d-pad, but it's good enough?

I'll just wait to PC version if is not the case.

A Chaotix level pack would be cool. it would be nice to play those levels without the awful buddy system of Chaotix holding them back.

Yes. You need to plan out your route so that the last orb you get isn't one that turns into a ring.

Nooo include the buddy system too!

Yeah, I'd love to see some more Chaotix stuff, especially the special stages. I realize there aren't too many of us though.

Despite its flaws Chaotix is one of the best Sonic games <3

NotLiquid

Echoing the sentiment that I wish there was much more tangible of a narrative progression. Sonic 3&K handled escalation so well where-as things aren't as graceful here. After Generations bungled things so haphazardly in this regard I was hoping Mania would make every transition feel smooth and like it builds up into a sensible conclusion, especially since there's a lot more hints of a plot here compared to previous Genesis games, but it only does the bare minimum. I wish there was a more of a payoff once you beat the game.

That said they more than made up for it in regards to everything else and sure enough as far as a set of tightly designed levels go its about as good as it gets. The team did a splendid job and Mania is definitively a highlight of the year for me.

I had a bug where the game stopped playing music after getting a invincible powerup, after it ran out it didnt go back to the normal music...that was weird

jman2050

I like how when you have hundreds of rings and you lose them you see a literal pile of rings just flying out in front of the screen.

Funny way of sticking to the 20 ring "limit"

daxy

I never got this about 2D Sonic games: when you're running quickly in one direction and suddenly the game makes you run in the opposite direction, are you supposed to move the D-pad/stick accordingly in the opposite direction?

Kinsei

Banned
I never got this about 2D Sonic games: when you're running quickly in one direction and suddenly the game makes you run in the opposite direction, are you supposed to move the D-pad/stick accordingly in the opposite direction?

No, just hit down to go into a ball.

WingM@n

I only played 3 acts yet but it's amazing already.
I wonder if the devs included cheat codes and a debug mode like the 16 bit games.

ckaneo

Depends on the speed you are going, the slopes/angle, and why you switched directions.

These special stages(big ring ones) are getting aggrivating with the forced/fake pop-in and low res 3D, knew it was a bad decision when I saw it. Things are blurry and shit just pops in way before you get enough time to react.

bman94

One simple question:

How does it play with the Joycon on the switch. We know it dosn't have proper d-pad, but it's good enough?

I'll just wait to PC version if is not the case.

I'm playing with the analog and it's great. Since the Switch analog is much flatter than any other analog you get so much more control and precision. I don't bother with the "d-pad" unless it's for blue sphere.

Billy Lee

I got it and loving it so far! I've only just beaten Chemical Plant Zone.

Ah, so it's not only me.

Timing is definitely different from Sonic 3.

It's slightly improved from Sonic 3. The buffer to register your input is shorter so less likelihood of turning by accident.

Kinsei

Banned
Sonic Heroes was good.

Ehh. The wonky physics, the tanky enemies (because of the buddy system) and the ridiculously long levels (I'm looking at you Team Dark and Team Chaotix) keep me from calling it good. This is obviously just my opinion though. Not saying you can't like it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wait a second, I'm 99% sure there's no timing needed on the FBZ spinning pillars. You just hold left or right when pressing jump and you go that direction.

Is that how it worked?

Would explain a few things. lol

Getting Megaman 9 vibes playing through this. And Megaman 9 was a top 5 game of last gen for me.

These two games are definitely in the running for best-realized retro sequel ever.

brinstar

man how do you control the bubble in
hydrocity. just ran over the time limit in this one part trying to figure out what to do

Edit: nvm, I found a different path. I think something didn't spawn right when I fell into that sequence or something

Top Bottom