• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Ein Bear

Spent all evening playing this with the biggest grin on my face. The amount of love that's gone into this game is astounding.

Just one daft question though - what's a
'Press Garden'?
I don't really understand the name of the level...

gosox333

Spent all evening playing this with the biggest grin on my face. The amount of love that's gone into this game is astounding.

'Press Garden'?

Printing press. You'll notice the posters being printed/pressed in the background of act 1.

Shadic7700

man how do you control the bubble in
hydrocity. just ran over the time limit in this one part trying to figure out what to do

Edit: nvm, I found a different path. I think something didn't spawn right when I fell into that sequence or something
Lol just press left right up or down no secrets here just like the barrel

How do I access the unlockables? The game says I unlocked the super peel out and stuff but I can't find where it is. Everything in the extras menu is locked off...

Alpha_eX

The only thing I dislike about this game so far is the colour palette of Press Garden, it just looks washed out and muted with no outline.

Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon were both incredible, I really want more levels like this!

I can't help noticing a lot of reused gimmicks, like the
pyramid ghosts now being smoke in Oil zone.

I really like the UFO catch but those rings are hard to find. I'm sick of the blue spheres thing, they're too frequent and take ages, hard to perfect unless you know them.

Yukinari

Yeah after seeing the blue sphere unlocks im not sure why anybody would want to get gold medals.

Its nice that its across all save files but theyre so annoying to do.

This game's level design is sooo CD-labrinthy. Its more Sonic CD 2 than it is Sonic 4 (if that makes any sense)

I feel like this game takes the best ideas of Sonic CD with that labyrinth design but marries it with the better flow of the genesis games. Sonic CD was a game with a lot of great ideas not always executed terribly well so I'm glad to see this game fulfill the ideal.

And then it also takes a couple levels from Sonic CD so lots of CD love in this package all around.

WPS

Printing press. You'll notice the posters being printed/pressed in the background of act 1.

How does the pun continue for act 2? The second act doesn't really keep the first half of the level name...

Anyway, beat the game as Sonic and Tails, didn't get all emeralds. I'm pleased to see that
& Knuckles
mode does not have any sensible conditions based on who you play as. I wonder if it's a reference to that neat glitch in Taxman's Sonic 1
that let you play as Tails & Tails

Game is great fun, though my one criticism is it's not always clear what can harm you. I spent more than a few bosses trying to dodge what turned out to be background elements. Also the collision on crushing hazards is exactly as jank as it's always been.

Edit:
How do I access the unlockables? The game says I unlocked the super peel out and stuff but I can't find where it is. Everything in the extras menu is locked off...

This gave me trouble as well - Start mania mode, hover over the no save file option and press x to toggle secret options. You can only play them in no save mode.

Oh god...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UnknownKongYT/status/897416031223910401[/tweet]
(Testing that BBCode)

I heard it, but just thought it was a small glitch...

Yukinari

This game's level design is sooo CD-labrinthy. Its more Sonic CD 2 than it is Sonic 4 (if that makes any sense)

Pretty awesome. SCD had its fair share of detractors, wonder how they're feeling about this game

Also, anyone else get a Sonic Crackers feel from this games art style?

It has the benefit of being far better designed than CD with bosses that dont suck ass.

'Press Garden'?

Same man these boss fights are just so good and creative havnt had this much creativity since maybe the advance era. I really hope we get a mania 2/Sonic5

brinstar

Lol just press left right up or down no secrets here just like the barrel

I got that, but I got put in a part where I couldn't leave the area no matter what I did. I think something broke or something. Earlier in the same part an oxygen bubble wouldn't spawn either so *shrug*

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh god...

(Testing that BBCode)

I knew that "072216" had to be a significant date somehow but I couldn't figure it out.

:O

BriGuy

I don't get the Sonic 3 inspired bonus stages. Like, if I suck bad enough to fail the first one, why does the difficulty for every subsequent one continue to increase? Shouldn't it stay where it's at until I pass it?

Vibed

Oh god...

(Testing that BBCode)

That's fucking perfect LOL

I don't get the Sonic 3 inspired bonus stages. Like, if I suck bad enough to fail the first one, why does the difficulty for every subsequent one continue to increase? Shouldn't it stay where it's at until I pass it?
I guess it cycles through all 32 stages, which can get rather frustrating. A few of them you see right away and just know you're not gonna make it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

You play them all in order, regardless of whether you cleared the last one or not.

I believe that once you've played all of them once, their order is random after that, but it will only give you stages that you've yet to clear. Once you've cleared all of them, then it will only give you stages that you have yet to Perfect. After you perfect them all, selection is completely random (and I don't think they give any reward after that point anyway).

B00TE

The boss at the end of
Oil Ocean
was very difficult for me. Got my first Game Over.

Yeah, got me too haha.

Just found out (music spoilers, I guess):
Mirage Saloon Act 1 has different music depending on if you are playing Sonic (and I assume Tails) or Knuckles. Just found that out while playing through as Sonic. Really love Knuckles' version, god damn.

Yeah, got me too haha.

Just found out (music spoilers, I guess):
Mirage Saloon Act 1 has different music depending on if you are playing Sonic (and I assume Tails) or Knuckles. Just found that out while playing through as Sonic. Really love Knuckles' version, god damn.

Apparently the level itself is different as well when playing as Knuckles, though I'm not 100% on that.

Can someone confirm?

Sane_Man

This game is just so fucking FUN. I'm terrible at it though. I'm not sure if it's my age, but I struggle to tell what's going on most of the time. There's so much stuff happening that my slower reactions can't process it all.

I've also only found one special ring-world thing, and I'm on Zone 6 :/

VertPin

ok

so, the final zone
titantic monarch was fine for the first act, but I feel like the second act was sort of cheap. also, I thought I had one more zone left.

Loved the game!

rrs

Is it just me, or is game hard in an extort your quarters kinda way? Feels like I'm running a marathon fighting
metal sonic and the rocket launcher battle

LordKano

Why did they felt like they had to bring back
Oil Ocean
? It was easily
Sonic 2's
worst zone. The boss is so frustrating. So far it's my only downside with the game.

Guess Who

Banned
Increasingly convinced special stage 5 is impossible. Even at mach 3 I can never catch the damn UFO.

Please fuck don't tell me that Chemical Plant Zone boss is
tetris
. Is this like a secret alternate boss that I can skip?

It's Puyo Puyo, and nope, that's the boss. Just get four Puyos of the same color to touch each other to clear them - the fight is really generous and biased against Robotnik.

So...on blue spheres...

I was about to get what I thought would be my first all rings / all spheres run, but the spheres I picked up to turn the last chunk to rings ended up counting as the rest of my spheres. How would I ever get the rings before doing that? Are the levels endless as far as the blue spheres it will throw at you?

People who can perfect these levels are....very special.

So...on blue spheres...

I was about to get what I thought would be my first all rings / all spheres run, but the spheres I picked up to turn the last chunk to rings ended up counting as the rest of my spheres. How would I ever get the rings before doing that? Are the levels endless as far as the blue spheres it will throw at you?

There's plenty of them, when you go to the extras sub menu you can see how many you have collected.

So...on blue spheres...

If you turn a square of blue spheres red around the outside (say a 4x4 square) they will all turn into rings. If you do this for the last blue spheres you need, you can't get the perfect.

So you need to find spheres that are alone and jump over them or avoid them until you clear all of the squares.

Also later on there will be rings scattered around as well as the ones you get for clearing squares.

Top Bottom