• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

So...on blue spheres...

I was about to get what I thought would be my first all rings / all spheres run, but the spheres I picked up to turn the last chunk to rings ended up counting as the rest of my spheres. How would I ever get the rings before doing that? Are the levels endless as far as the blue spheres it will throw at you?

People who can perfect these levels are....very special.
You just need to make sure the last Blue Sphere you get isn't part of the chains. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Beat the game as Sonic & Tails with four Chaos Emeralds and about half the Blue Sphere medals. Will go back and get the rest of the Emeralds in the original save file, and then go through it as Knuckles. Excellent game on the whole though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is it just me, or is game hard in an extort your quarters kinda way? Feels like I'm running a marathon fighting
metal sonic and the rocket launcher battle

Idk. I got up to 40 lives real quick and then stayed between 40 and 50 for the rest of the game.

I liked the reference but really wish it wasn't forced as a boss, I was happy to do it once but it will grate on repeat plays.

Just learn how to do a 5-chain stairs combo and you can KO him in one shot.

(Also buy Puyo Puyo Tetris. Best puzzle game ever.)

Doosi

Banned
i finished the game

A+ from me. my favourite 2D platformer

my issues were minor. i hope they patch in a more robust level select. it would be nice to pick acts instead of zones

Tomeru

Yo the chaos emeralds race stages are bad. Which sonic are they from? It also amazed me that I still remember all the stages from S&K lol.

Yo the chaos emeralds race stages are bad. Which sonic are they from? It also amazed me that I still remember all the stages from S&K lol.

They're new. I LOVE them, it's such a goofy thing having Sonic control like a headless horse just like he did in Sonic R, bwahaha.

Finished the game several hours ago. I think this is the best Sonic game I've ever played. Even better than 3+K and CD which are two of my all time favorite games. Everyone who worked on this did such a fantastic job across the board.

I hope this does well enough for a sequel with entirely original levels, not that the remixed levels were bad, FAR from it, but the original stages were so fantastic that I wanted more.

jman2050

Increasingly convinced special stage 5 is impossible. Even at mach 3 I can never catch the damn UFO.

The only way I can see to beat it is to get the mach speed powerup on the first lap and get to mach 3 by the end of the first lap. The UFO should atill be close enough that you can catch it before it speeds up itself and makes it near impossible to catch.

daxy

Do you need to get all emeralds on your first run of a level or is there a level select later on to replay them? Haven't been able to find the bonus stage thingies in the later levels.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do you need to all emeralds on your first run of a level or is there a level select later on to replay them? Haven't been able to find the bonus stage thingies in the later levels.

It works like Sonic 3. After you beat the game you can jump back into old zones with the giant rings restored.

13ruce

Banned
Super huge story spoilers but i have seen some interesting comments on other sites on where this game might lead to:

the dimension alter like gem seems to make the same sound effect as Infinites power in his trailer and after you beat the game Classic Sonic transfers to Forces probably, so it might be possible Infinite set the whole thing up if that gem is his or he simply steals it after Classic Sonic arrives

This is ofcourse a theory but i found it very interesting but if true it might upset some hardcore classic Sonic people.

Here is the reddit link to that theory i found if you completed the game it's a worthy read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/6t8b4q/huge_sonic_mania_spoilers_the_implications_of/

Played a little more this afternoon .

Goddamn this game is harder than i expected.

The game design is not bad , just , that , there is no training wheels AT ALL in this game.
Like i understand why i died and how it's not that unfair but still i know they did some things on purpose ( with the design and ennemy placement )

The new ideas ,especially in chemical zone and flying battery were pretty good . Studiopolis i expected to like but i'm not a fan , despite the awesome art direction.

The spheres mini game is freaking hard there are a couple of easy ones , but most of the spheres are a little higher in difficulty than SK3

Haven't finished yet but it's a good game so far.

So after getting all of the chaos emeralds I have to replay
Titan Monarch Zone again if I die during the Super Sonic part? What a bunch of bullshit. In true Sonic fashion, Super Sonic is a good thing in theory but actually sucks when it's time to use it in a final boss battle. Who decided that burning rings to use your dash was a good idea!

Finished the game as Sonic with all 7 Chaos Emeralds

Amazing game, but
the final boss + ending was really underwhelming, it reminds me of Generations and even Sonic 4 Ep. 2 where I think, "Wait that's it?"
Sonic 2, 3&K and CD did better in that regard

Who decided that burning rings to use your dash was a good idea!

When I found out that
I can stand on the ground and just brute force my way with little to no stuggle took out the spectacle of a Super Sonic fight, at least 3&K's Doomsday Zone was more involved since only dashing forward to win wasn't possible

1upsuper

Gosh dang this is good shit. I'm having a lot of fun here. My friend is a huge Sonic fan and I'm really looking forward to them playing it too.

Also I am so terrible at the Sonic 3 blue sphere challenges. Only got two silver medals so far...

Cynn

So how long until someone turns the collector edition statue Genesis into a real one? That may be the fate of mine.

I got up to Flying Battery with 2 emeralds before having to head out. The game is incredible. Definitely will be replaying this over and over again to explore each zone.

This game is...yoooooooooooooooooooo

After Chemical Plant Act 2, I immediately bought a second copy for my brother on Nintendo Switch.

The people that made this must be applauded.

Haganeren

Finally finished with all chaos emeralds.

I find it funny that in order to have decet Level Design with Sonic CD levels they had to redo everything, with the same kind of mechanics.... Can't say that was a bad decision, it's not that often that i enjoy a Sonic CD level !

That being said, it's really an incredible game, i actually liked the special stage for a change with its mode 7 and Sonic R controls but it was still VERY difficult to have all chaos emeralds... Well to be honest, Blue Sphere is WAY harder and annoys me to no end in comparison.

GOD DAMN the second boss on
Stardust Speedway

It really isn't that hard, but yet I keep fucking up again and again because of stupid mistakes.

Aki-at

The regular final boss is much easier to hit than the super sonic final boss.

Im still not sure why my rings deplete so quick in that.

Using
Super Sonic's dash cost you like 5 or 10 rings. Bad decision that since I don't think it serves much purpose.

Kinsei

Banned
The regular final boss is much easier to hit than the super sonic final boss.

Im still not sure why my rings deplete so quick in that.

I'm referring to the regular final boss. It's long, boring, and the stupid mini game breaks aren't self explanatory.

nickgia

Love love love that they used the OG Sonic sprite. 3's just seemed off to me.

Chemical Zone Boss:
I was pleasantly surprised. Glad I played some Puyo Puyo Tetris this year.

GOD DAMN the second boss on
Stardust Speedway

It really isn't that hard, but yet I keep fucking up again and again because of stupid mistakes.

Yup.
I managed the first phase after losing all my lives a couple of times (I actually think firing the silver sonic up towards Metal is quite tricky to do accurately and frustrating), then I died on the 2nd phase after that.

Called it a night at that point.

MDave

The spinach motion.

giphy.gif

Couldn't help myself.

Top Bottom