• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Techol887

Early on it'll more likely be a Blu-ray vehicle, so I can wait until a couple of 'must have' titles are out. Anyway, I normally hold out on buying at launch, so the price isn't a concern yet

Ranger X

Heian-kyo said:
Another thing, is that people are REALLY underestimating how well this will still sell. This is the day and age where people are spending $300-400 on portable music players that do little else. Spending $30 on UMDs and $2 a pop by the thousands on TV episodes off of iTunes. $600 is A LOT of money. But you're getting the most advanced gaming system available, a high definition movie player, and 60GB HDD equipped media hub that has the right tech inside to last 8-10 years. And this is at launch. And that right there is the most important point.

EDIT: Oh and for the record, I think $399/499 would've been the better move.

You see, this is exactly the problem. Everything is getting too expensive and we tell ourselve "oh look, the thing there is expensive so it's normal". People are bullshited, we are frustrated by the price because it's simply ridiculous and we don't want to encourage this trend.
I can shell 600$ tomorrow if i need. But not for a PS3, there is no videogame passion that can buy a machine at this price unless the person mix "passion" with "stupidity" of course.

I think it's really a bad move for Sony no matter the tech. 500$ is a psychological barrier they shouldn't have crossed.

Razoric

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
Well, I've had a night to sleep on it, and while there is no doubt the price is high (the biggest shock is how much higher it is than the PS2 launch price), the overreaction here is getting out of hand.

I'm no pyschologist, but I've a very strong feeling that A LOT of folks here are now trying extra hard to prove that everything on the system was/is/looked like shit except some undeniables, so they can subconsciously convince themselves they don't need the system. Why? Because the price hurts the wallet, and a lot of folks on this board (younger gamers) can't afford it. I'm not trying to generalize, so don't take it the wrong way, nor am I trying to say that that line of reasoning is absurd. Hell, I can afford the thing and I tried that myself last night; but too many games look too good to pass up.

Another thing, is that people are REALLY underestimating how well this will still sell. This is the day and age where people are spending $300-400 on portable music players that do little else. Spending $30 on UMDs and $2 a pop by the thousands on TV episodes off of iTunes. $600 is A LOT of money. But you're getting the most advanced gaming system available, a high definition movie player, and 60GB HDD equipped media hub that has the right tech inside to last 8-10 years. And this is at launch. And that right there is the most important point.

I think a big part of disappointment/jacket tossing is the realization that many are having that they are no longer the uber hardcore, which has usually been defined as the first folks to buy the system. If your price range is a few price drops away, that's fine; wait for the subsequent drops before you buy; Sony knows full well that right now they'll only sell this price to what will end up being less than 10% of the final installed base. But I honestly think there are enough consumers willing to purchase the system at the higher prices to maintain software support at the same level as the PS2. I've always thought that traditionally systems are ridiculously cheap, as after only 6-7 game purchases you've already spent more on software, and many of us end up with over 40-50 titles by generation's end.

Lastly, for the amount of people crying foul that they just want a games machine, I don't understand the complaints on the $500 pack, as unlike the 360, none of the omissions affect gaming. All HD resolutions from games are fine through component, the HDD is still there, the ethernet is still built in, and the memory card slots are more for the media hub than gaming. If the whole convergence thing isn't your bag, what's really wrong with the $500 pack?

A) what was shown was neat but not the generational leap promised. virtually everything they showed last night could be done on 360 with no problem.

B) the price is too high... and no people arent overreacting. the price is suicide. period.

C) the $500 version is a joke... people called the 360 core the tard pack but at least you could upgrade it to the 'normal' version (minus the chrome) if you so desired. if you buy the PS3 idiot pack you will forever be stuck without features. Who the hell would buy that? "Mass market people"? No it's still $500.

D) The system will still sell out this fall and a couple months into 2007... but once supply is steady and the hype is gone the system will drop off fast in sales. And this is U.S. The system is going to get murdered by Wii in Japan. The price and lack of really mindblowing games seals the deal.

Deg said:
This price is cheaper than the UK Xbox 360 premium price. So its good news for Europe.

$600 = £322 at today's exchange rate.

Xbox360 Premium = £279

That is still nearly a £50 difference.

The prices are quite close and not that far from the £299 launch price for the PS2.

This price is probably nowhere near as bad for Europe as it is the US.

I spent £850 on my Xbox360 Premium, I bought it in a 10 game, 3 pad bundle at Virgin.

It cost $1582

In the UK it is the norm to sell new hardware in bundles, very hard to buy it stand alone.

Don't things cost a lot in the UK:lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ranger X said:
You see, this is exactly the problem. Everything is getting too expensive and we tell ourselve "oh look, the thing there is expensive so it's normal". People are bullshited, we are frustrated by the price because it's simply ridiculous and we don't want to encourage this trend.
I can shell 600$ tomorrow if i need. But not for a PS3, there is no videogame passion that can buy a machine at this price unless the person mix "passion" with "stupidity" of course.

I think it's really a bad move for Sony no matter the tech. 500$ is a psychological barrier they shouldn't have crossed.
$500 would have been acceptable. Its expensive but People would be willing to pay the price. $600 is just too much. Sure people spend a lot of money on portable music devices and other things, but none of those things cost $600. When people see that price tag they;re going to be put off.

Diablos

Ken makes his craziest statement since "4D".

IGN said:
May 9, 2006 - Krazy Ken's at it again. Following the surprise pre-E3 announcement of the PlayStation 3 price, Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi spoke with Japan's IT Media and offered up this beauty: "It's probably too cheap."

In case you skipped out on Monday's press conference, here's the deal. In addition to showing a slew of game demonstrations, Sony Computer Entertainment's Kaz Hirai announced launch specifics for the system. PS3 will go on sale first in Japan on 11/11 at a price of 59,800 yen for a 20GB model, with a 60GB model set at open pricing. The US will get the system on 11/17 with cost set at, respectively, $499 and $599.

Kutaragi explained to IT Media why be believes the price isn't a problem:

"This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else.

For instance, is it not nonsense to compare the charge for dinner at the company cafeteria with dinner at a fine restaurant? It's a question of what you can do with that game machine. If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem.

When we announced the PlayStation price, it was said to be expensive. Same for the PlayStation 2. However, when released, both had sales that were unthinkable for previous game machines. This is because both offered experiences that could not be had on previous game machines.

With the PS3, you can have next generation game experiences that could previously not be experienced -- things like next generation graphics and various services via the network. And, as with the PS and PS2, we believe people who like games will, without question, purchase it."

Kutaragi also took the time to comment on Sony's shipping targets for the system. SCE plans to have two million units available at launch (the Japanese press reports this as the initial shipment figure for the system, and not a number that will be gradually released over a launch window), with another two million by the end of the year and two million more before the end of March 2007. Regarding this, Kutaragi said, "Of course, this is a number that we announced having made sure we can definitely prepare it. There is the possibility of unexpected problems like earthquake or theft, so I won't say it's absolute, but if this type of trouble does not occur, there's no problem with this number."

We expect to hear more from Kutaragi as E3 continues, so be sure and check back over the coming days.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

:lol

Konnjuta

Last check, PS2 won because it has a greater library of games regardless of its higher price, and regardless of its games not be on par with xb graphically because its an inferior machine. But now the PS3 one up everything the xb outdid it last-gen while still retainging its greater games library and premium price. So I don't see how its a bad thing.

The conference was a huge letdown because we were all expecting megatons announcements prior to the conference like Mercenaries 2 being timed exclusives, blizzards exclusive support (damn you and ur source amirox you got me hyped for wow, d3 and sc2 for nothing).

All the playable games shown (heavenly sword, warhawk, resistance, tiger woods, nba 07, genji, gthd etc) are freaking spectular graphically and in motion. Wheres trailers of others games such as naughty-dog new IP, eight days, getaway, MEtal Gear Fucking SOlid 4, lair, afrika, coded arms and bladestorms were fucking mind blowing (Saves tekken of COurse. LOL. Fuck Man, they got some really shit CG team working on this trailer).

The announcement of the motion sensoring capabilities of the new controller also came as a suprise to me. Sure they copied nintendo, but the question is not why the hell would they copy Wii, but Why the hell shouldn't they? The Wii controller was an excellent idea.

The only surprise or shock was the announcement of the price. Not show much the price of the system itself since i was expecting that but the fact that they announced it. Whether it was lower or higher it would overshadow all the playable games and trailers that they show. A big mistake in my opinion. They could have announce the price any time later by calling for a press conference and announce it like they have done previously so it make me think that they are doing this because of some other broader strategy.

Ceb

DCharlie said:
serious question : what becomes of "wait for the superior PS3 version" now?

i mean, if the choice is paying double the cost of the X360 , having a nice X month wait for the game, and it probably being the same damned game, then why wait? (of course i'm tossing away Bluray movie support and exclusives, but hey)

If all you're into is multi-platform gaming, then there's no big reason to get a PS3 over an X360, no.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I just started watching the conference, and I can easily say this is the most boring conference I've ever seen. This surpasses Nintendo's own Pacman fuckup.

Drek

charlequin said:
Nope, you've missed the point, and so have Sony.

It's true, they absolutely can sell out their launch shipments with this price. That's unambiguous. What they can't possibly be thinking about is what hapens in April. People who early-adopt hardware or who buy lavish Xmas gifts will clean the shelves in December, but after that you hit a brick wall. During the months that PS3 needs to be sprinting ahead of X360, instead it'll be sitting there at a premium price.

The problem is that there's not much of a market for a $600 console beyond those early eBay-style adopters -- and the market for a $400 console isn't that much bigger (those are the people we've been calling the high-price early adopters up 'til this point, after all.) PS3 has to hit $250 to attract the casual purchase crowd -- that'll take them three price drops on even their cheaper (crippled) system, while Xbox 360 can do a $50 price drop and hit it for this Christmas. That's an astounding tactical error.

By April Sony will probably have been able to turn out a total of 6M units (2M launch, 1M Dec-March). I don't see how they'll even be meeting demand by that point, even at $500-$600 per system.

Sony has the financial flexability to go real low on the PS3's price, there's just no incentive to do it.

I think most of this board is missing the real impetus behind this though. If you ask me Sony is looking to begin this generation with a tiered format. Step back and look at Sony's branches of the gaming industry. Do you think they're continuing heavy PS2 support just to make some extra money? I don't. The recent $20 price cut to $129 pretty clearly illustrates, to me at least, the fact that Sony has no intentions of ending the PS2 life cycle for quite some time, as further price cuts will follow bringing it to the mass market darling figure of $99.

Why is that important? Its Sony's bridge to next generation. Their fanbase already own PS2s, they'll tide them over with new releases from Squaresoft (FFXII), Take 2 (Liberty City Stories, likely more), their own in house projects (God of War 2) etc.. X360 isn't cost effective for casual gamers, Wii has yet to prove itself sellable to them. Thats Sony's power base, and all they're really concerned with keeping control of. It'll only grow as more and more casuals can get cheap PS2s. Once they do that Sony has them "in the program" if you will, owning PS2 games, aclimated to the PS2 controller, making the PS3, the super powered beast, the "dream console". By the 2007 holiday season, when the PS2 is running out of steam and MS is beginning to approach mass market pricing, Sony will be more than capable of slashing PS3 prices quickly, down to a level very competative with the X360 (probably $50 more).

If they "dreamcast" the X360 thats gravy. I think what they're really aiming for is to "gamecube" it. The PS2 was more expensive than the GC for much of last generation but Nintendo could never gain marketshare. They didn't have the 3rd party support or the mainstream appeal. Thats what it'll ultimately come down to. Can Sony keep MS from getting major 3rd party support and therefore neuter their console.

Will Sony lose some marketshare? Probably, but I don't think thats their primary concern as long as they keep the 3rd party majority, which all indications suggest that they will.

I don't even see this as Sony arogance, because its not arogance if its true. Sony, with how the industry currently stands, is unbeatable. They have superior hardware, superior 3rd party support, brand legacy, and control of the mainstream consumer. The only way Nintendo or MS can change that is to make a groundbreaking title or steal one (i.e. GTA/Final Fantasy/DQ in Japan/WE exclusivity, etc.) from Sony's stable. Is it impossible? No, but then it also still wouldn't guarantee victory.

Sony's taking a big risk, for sure, $350/$450 or $400/$500 price points would have easily secured them another generation of dominance, but that doesn't promise the huge returns a higher price point can offer, nor will it change the mainstream perception as systems as toys to systems as advanced home entertainment computers. That perception shift is a vital part of Sony's strategy, if it succeeds we'll never see a sub $500 system ever again, more likely we'll see another big jump next generation.

Sony has a long term strategy in place, I'm willing to bet it involves many more generations of extremely high priced launch hardware, all from Sony. The "one console future" never looked so expensive.

Diablos

We are witnessing Sony adopting a mid-90's Nintendo state of mind and also selling the damn thing like the 3DO. This is a trainwreck.

http://www.dvdbits.com/ is reporting that:

Playstation 3 will be released in Australia on November 17th 2006, at a retail price of $829 for the 20GB Console, or $999 for the 60GB Console.

:lol

Somewhere, Trip Hawkins is laughing his ass off. :lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I hate that price and I found the conference to be incredible boring. But I know better than to come in here and say that I wont be buying it at launch or near launch. All if takes is one game (even a multiplatform game like Madden) to be better on the PS3 than on the Xbox360 and I will be swayed. I don't want to spend that much money on a gaming system. I really do wish I could just be happy with just one next gen console. But I know myself better than that.

Gaming is an addiction for many of us. Buying the PS3 is not really a choice, it just sucks that we get it up the bum price wise.

Mau ®

It is too expensive. I actually felt sick when I read the prices. I, like most of all, thought it would be in the 399 price range, heck I would've paid 450 for a "value pack" kinda like PSP but 499 and 599. Yeah its a Blu Ray player, its the best game machine but is it that better than the 360, like susbtantially better?

The only thing that still makes reconsider buying a PS3 is FFXIII and if SH5 is PS3 exclusive that will 100% seal the deal on my PS3 purchase.

But honestly, this is a bad move, are they even losing money on the PS3 with those prices? I keep thinking how it would've been better at 399/499.

Im sure it'll sell out, in fact they'll probably keep those prices until E3 2007 and it will still be sold out until then. In a way I kinda understand Sony. Sell it at such a high price that losses will be very minimal and then when hardware gets cheaper they'll drop it and probably be turning profits. Kinda like PSP...

I noticed that Rockstar were mentioned as devs working on PS3 but GTA wasn't mentioned at all. Surely Sony wouldn't let GTA become exclusive to MS after the sales it did on PS2?

Oneself

gofreak said:
I was perplexed by this too, because I'm 99% sure that PS3 is the only platform they're working on right now, or at least that was what I had heard pre-E3. Kaz mentioned Pandemic explicitly, but it seems they're leaving some developers and publishers to make their own announcements.

BTW, Pandemic's countdown teaser in the last couple of days seems to suggest co-op play is in :) They should make their announcement today/tomorrow.

Well, Mercenaries: World in Flames is pretty sure to be exclusive to PS3. All the features + insane physics - I don't see it being an Xbox360 title.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oneself said:
Well, Mercenaries: World in Flames is pretty sure to be exclusive to PS3. All the features + insane physics - I don't see it being an Xbox360 title.

It might be..eventually. Anyway, I'm going off pre-E3 info. We'll see what Pandemic announces.

Acrylamid

The price strategy makes sense: They will sell the first five million units for $499/599,
after that, they can lower it to $399/499 which would be the first acceptable price (for the "mainstream" players... basically everyone who can't or doesn't want to spend $499/599 for a console).
How much do they save by this stunt? $100x5 million= 1/2 billion dollars!
The whole strategy relies on one question: Are there 5 million video game fanatics with so much money to spend?
I bet there are.

i think this price is rediculously high. BUT, could sony just be thinking, if the wii is like 250-300 bucks, thats the low end system, ours'll be the high end system at 500-600 bucks, then why would anyone want the middle range system when they could just spend a lil more for the top end? just a thought.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm just blown away at the price. Simply blown away.

To me, it's like they are handing the market over to MS practically. I can see people buying 360's because the PS3 is so fargin expensive.

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm just blown away at the price. Simply blown away.

To me, it's like they are handing the market over to MS practically. I can see people buying 360's because the PS3 is so fargin expensive.

I wonder if they collected any data on the number of 360's that sold for over $600 on ebay last fall.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Count Chocula said:
I wonder if they collected any data on the number of 360's that sold for over $600 on ebay last fall.

That shit is irrelevent. The common consumer isn't going to pay those prices. Not ebay prices, not these store shelve prices. No fucking way.

Oneself said:

So you're saying the 360 can't handle Mercs 2? :lol

Danj

Diablos said:
http://www.dvdbits.com/ is reporting that:

Playstation 3 will be released in Australia on November 17th 2006, at a retail price of AU$829 for the 20GB Console, or AU$999 for the 60GB Console.

Are those official Australian prices, or just converted from the Euro prices? Are there official GBP prices anywhere yet? 599 EUR = 409 GBP apparently, I wonder if that'll be the price or if they'll round it down to 399 GBP?

My question is with such an insanely expensive console that is SO FREAKING HUGE (it is bigger and MUCH heavier than the Xbox) how come we are only getting a 20 and 60gb hard drive? They aren't exactly saving space here so I don't see why they are using laptop hard drives when they could get a 3-4x bigger HDD for the same price in the regular form factor.

Oh and for the record there is no way in hell that I am paying $600 for a console. Call me when the price is sub $300 and I'll get one. I suggest other people take a similar stance. The price will drop FASTER if you don't buy it right away, and you will still be able to play the games that come out for it. Also consider that this thing was supposed to be out earlier than now? What would it have been if it had released today, $800?

Ben Sones

dalyr95 said:
If you're worried about having to pay an extra $100 for HDMI, you probably don't have a spare $2000 for a HDTV to watch with your HDMI connection.

I have a pair of HDTVs, but it's not like they are selling this thing in a vacuum. I can buy both of the other next gen systems for less than the price of the non-gimped PS3, and frankly, I'm considering it. Just because some people are willing to spend money on high-tech gadgets, it doesn't follow that they are willing to spend it in limitless amounts--especially if there are alternatives.

And what about the majority of users--the ones who are still playing an standard def TVs? (You know, the ones who bought the majority of those 100 million PS2s that Sony has sold). Sony has priced themselves WAY out of that market, possibly for this entire generation. How many people are going to want to get a PS3 if they still have a standard def TV? They'll be paying twice the price of the PS2 at launch, for a bunch of expensive features like Blu-Ray and HDMI that they can't even use. Do you honestly think that's not going to be an enormously hard sell? Those folks are still facing the HDTV plunge, and now they have justify spending twice what they paid for their last PlayStation? How soon will Sony start tapping into that market? 2010?

I think even that is optimistic.

LuCkymoON

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
My question is with such an insanely expensive console that is SO FREAKING HUGE (it is bigger and MUCH heavier than the Xbox) how come we are only getting a 20 and 60gb hard drive? They aren't exactly saving space here so I don't see why they are using laptop hard drives when they could get a 3-4x bigger HDD for the same price in the regular form factor.

Oh and for the record there is no way in hell that I am paying $600 for a console. Call me when the price is sub $300 and I'll get one. I suggest other people take a similar stance. The price will drop FASTER if you don't buy it right away, and you will still be able to play the games that come out for it. Also consider that this thing was supposed to be out earlier than now? What would it have been if it had released today, $800?
laptop HDD's run cooler and are tougher than thier larger desktop PC brothers.

Beowvlf

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
The common consumer isn't going to pay those prices.
The common consumer isn't being targeted; people need to understand this fact. The PS2 is for the common consumer. Sony is attempting to lengthen both console cycles with this price, and whether it works or not we'll have to wait and see. The PS2 proved that the common consumer was willing to pay $179 and $149, which was higher than they were willing to spend on the PSone. If it's higher yet again this gen, that might make the common consumer acceptable price point almost $249.

The bottom line however is that the PS3 won't be targeted at the common consumer until 2008 or 2009. Still though, this is an awful risk for Sony. But, as DCharlie said a long time ago, they can ALWAYS lower the price, whereas they can never raise it.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nick Laslett said:
$600 = £322 at today's exchange rate.

That's just not how it works. The PS3 will retail at closer to 600 Euros and £400 for the premium pack. It's obvious that MS will drop the X360 price right before PS3 lanuch, probably something like £50.

So the PS3 premium pack will end up being at something like £150 more expensive than anything else on the market and double the cost of Wii. Good luck Sony

Oneself

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So you're saying the 360 can't handle Mercs 2? :lol

Well, from what I've heard so far, PS3's strong point is the physics calculations. Pandemic has shown Mercs 2 running off a PS3 dev. kit prior to E3. If there's an Xb360 and a PS3 version, I guess we'll get a better frame rate or more calculations at once on PS3.

djkimothy

You talk aas if people won't buy it at that price point. news flash they will, and it'll be sold out.

As soon as the demand slows down a price cut will be in order. People were lining up for 360 at ridiculous prices. The same will be had for this console.

Drek

What everyone is really missing here is that $500/$600 is only the FIRST STEP.

Wait until next gen when the Xbox whatever and the PS4 will retail at $800 and $1000 respectively. Neither company is in the business of selling video game systems, they're selling home entertainment convergence centers. Hop on board or buy a Wii.

Ben Sones

Heian-kyo said:
The PS2 proved that the common consumer was willing to pay $179 and $149, which was higher than they were willing to spend on the PSone. If it's higher yet again this gen, that might make the common consumer acceptable price point almost $249.

The bottom line however is that the PS3 won't be targeted at the common consumer until 2008 or 2009.

You honestly think that Sony is going to drop the price of the PS3 by $250-350 in two years? You are dreaming.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Drek said:
What everyone is really missing here is that $500/$600 is only the FIRST STEP.

Wait until next gen when the Xbox whatever and the PS4 will retail at $800 and $1000 respectively. Neither company is in the business of selling video game systems, they're selling home entertainment convergence centers. Hop on board or buy a Wii.

See that's what really sucks, I'm a gamer, not a home entertainment convergence center-er. That would make a horrible forum! NeoHECCAF FTL!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
MrSardonic said:
That's just not how it works. The PS3 will retail at closer to 600 Euros and £400 for the premium pack. It's obvious that MS will drop the X360 price right before PS3 lanuch, probably something like £50.

So the PS3 premium pack will end up being at something like £150 more expensive than anything else on the market and double the cost of Wii. Good luck Sony

UK prices also include 17.5% VAT. The US $599 price does not. Subtracting taxes from a theoretical £400 pricepoint suggests that those in England aren't really getting screwed. Yes, they are paying a bit more, but that can be attributed to forex fluctuation and (I believe) higher import duties.

am i the only one that remembers this generation as being a race to see who could take over the living room? that seems like the common consumer would be the main target. if this system is honestly geared towards the hardcore gamer, then sony isn't looking at the fact that the hardcore gamer market is shrinking.

also, why are people still talking about graphics? ps2 was supposed to have super advanced physics because of the emotion engine, but that ended up doing nothing. 360 and ps3 will have very similar graphics, stop saying that we're supposed to pay 200 bucks more for better physics.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VNZ said:
Has anyone made a good PS3 size comparison pic yet? It'd be fun to see it dwarf the PStwo.

At least it's as quiet as a PStwo, apparently ;) Was this confirmed for both versions? I thought I read somewhere it was only true of the cheaper version, but I can't think why that would be so.

Drek

GreenGlowingGoo said:
See that's what really sucks, I'm a gamer, not a home entertainment convergence center-er. That would make a horrible forum! NeoHECCAF FTL!
Like I said, buy a Wii. Nintendo isn't about convergence.

Then in two years you'll also probably be able to afford a PS3, just imagine how great a back catalog you'll have to pick from, and the graphical jump will make you think its a new generation! :lol

Top Bottom