• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group has $5.1 billion to spend on investments/acquisitions until 2024

???

How. TLOU is setting the TV charts on fire right now

The timing on the game releases was ultimately poor and they haven't really been pushing the game via HBO. The PS5 version came out entirely too early and the PC game was delayed... a really bad combination.

TLOU Online hasn't been officially announced or shown which could have got more people to buy the PS5 and PC game ahead of that.

Some things I get, like HBO needed this to fit in their schedule, but the lack of promotion for the games is a missed opportunity.

The timing on the game releases was ultimately poor and they haven't really been pushing the game via HBO. The PS5 version came out entirely too early and the PC game was delayed... a really bad combination.

TLOU Online hasn't been officially announced or shown which could have got more people to buy the PS5 and PC game ahead of that.

Some things I get, like HBO needed this to fit in their schedule, but the lack of promotion for the games is a missed opportunity.

I don’t think the timing of remaster releases would have made much of a difference, and trying to coincide TV vs game releases is nearly impossible unless you hold off releasing until both are ready

The show served its purpose. Massive success by itself, and increased brand awareness for the game

I don’t think the timing of remaster releases would have made much of a difference, and trying to coincide TV vs game releases is nearly impossible unless you hold off releasing until both are ready

The show served its purpose. Massive success by itself, and increased brand awareness for the game

In a perfect world they probably release the games at the end of march and start the show at the end of march, but HBO has a very tight schedule.

The lack of promotion for the game though doesn't add up.

I think we probably see a bigger ad campaign for the PC release, but the timing has been all over the place. We'll see how the game sells at the end of March and in April.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm interested to see if Sony spends the remainder of that 3-year budget this year. If not, will they roll that over into a new budget plan? Which begs another question. Will Sony announce a new budget plan next year?

As someone already pointed out, a publisher acquisition is not likely to be something Sony tries to fit into a budget. It would almost certainly be something outside a budget plan and be something they'd have to get board approval for. Especially considering that it would likely involve things outside of cash reserves. Asset liquidations, loans, and stock swaps. That being said, Sony isn't going to spend the kind of money it takes, regardless if they could or not, to grab something like EA or T2. That doesn't even touch on regulator pushback. Those kind of rumors need to be killed on sight.

With the remaining $5 billion to spend this year, Sony would have plenty of options for investments or acquisitions. We already had a fairly compelling rumor that they picked up Ballistic Moon, a new studio in the UK. Teams like that who are brand new and smaller shouldn't cost much at all and be much easier to integrate. This is also important because this budget isn't just for PlayStation. Though that wouldn't stop Sony from using all of it for them if need be. It's just not necessarily going to all be used for that purpose.

They already put in $122M to own 14% of FromSoft. I could see them trying to up their stake there. Not enough to control. But certainly enough to have a lot more influence. I think partial ownerships like that and smaller studio grabs are what you'll see this year if they make any moves.

skneogaf

Just like I don't care if Microsoft buy Activision, I don't care if Sony buys a bug ass company.

I own all the platforms therefore I play all the games.

🥇🏆🎮

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t sound like a lot but hopefully they find some worthwhile stuff to buy with that money. MS managed to get all of ZeniMax for $7.5B so I guess there’s definitely some big purchases that can be made with this.

Last edited:

Moses85

This is not enough to buy Take 2

Funny GIF

Everybody wants Sony to buy up massive publishers but I don't think they need that. I'd much rather if they just continue to expand their own studios(multiple teams) and buy up smaller studios that they have an ongoing relationship with. Sony has such a well oiled machine when it comes to their support network that I worry buying up a bunch of studios that they have no relationship with could water down their level of polish. They will never not be successful as long as they are releasing high quality AAA games

Go_Ly_Dow

GAAS has a high failure rate. Good chance Bungies next game flops, or even if its good just doesnt capture the wider market you need for another Destiny.

I get why they bought them, but they overpaid.

pasterpl

Hot takes incoming in reality.

Thinking that Sony only $5.1bn on tap is wrong.

If they wanted they can offer part cash / stocks or leverage finance to complete any deals they wanted to.

This. Not all acquisitions are 100% cash. It’s rather rare to pay cash only for bigger acquisition.

Ronin_7

Banned
That number means jack shit btw. It's just something they can easily spend but they can easily go above or in this case they might not even spend everything at all.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Limits their options quite a bit to none of the really big players, and likely not even something on the scale of Capcom/Square. I don't think they'll really use all of their alloted budget, to be honest. I'm thinking some smaller, tactical/strategic acquisitions.

It all depends on how they find buyouts. They will have a lot of lending opertunitys so nothing is off the table really

Yoboman

5.1 billion and people were saying T2 was an option? :pie_roffles:

Good though, focus on "small" gaming stuff like devs purchases or fund/create new groups that can develop games that expand their genres, I only care about that tbh
No this is $5 billion the need to spend this year as part of the acquisition strategy they laid out to investors. Next year they will have a different pool of money they will set aside for any investment strategies. IF they continue investing this way

Everybody wants Sony to buy up massive publishers but I don't think they need that. I'd much rather if they just continue to expand their own studios(multiple teams) and buy up smaller studios that they have an ongoing relationship with. Sony has such a well oiled machine when it comes to their support network that I worry buying up a bunch of studios that they have no relationship with could water down their level of polish. They will never not be successful as long as they are releasing high quality AAA games
It's not like we want Sony to buy publishers unlike Microsoft is doing but the way it's going Sony would probably need to purchase some kind of publisher to make there console a must have. buying small studios that hasn't made 1 game under there belt not alway ideal.

Last edited:
That’s not enough money to make an impactful acquisition. They could buy half of square enix for that maybe.

Square Enix would give them a generous discount after the stuff they been putting out lately.

How cheaply SE sold their Western Studios, I wouldn't be surprised if they value themselves at $200 million or something.

Elios83

The 5 billions are what is left of a previous mid term business plan of investements that covered the last 2-3 years.
It's *not* all the money they have, it doesn't mean they're forced to spend them if they don't find good targets, conversely it doesn't mean they can't revise it and spend more if they find a really good target they don't want to miss.
In 2024 they will also have a new mid term plan with a new planned budget.

Asking the important questions now boy!
They have been on a buying spree regarding music catalogs so I would not be surprised. After all Sony Music is one of the big three music publishers out there right?

Also anime is a big pillar for them.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
CMA: "Sony is going to struggle to stay relevant if the MS/ABK merger happens. Trust us we are industry experts"
Also CMA: " Our recommendation is that 2K sell all its IP to Sony for <$5Bil"

Top Bottom