• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

sachos

This sounds good on paper but i feel like it won't work. PC players just need to wait for the initial wait time (it already happened) and after that you get a constant stream of Playstation games, just at an offset of 1-2 years. On top of all the Xbox games.

Fredrik

What year is this? A large ass tower? My PC with a freakin' 4090 is smaller and more compact than the PS5 lol.

Here is the 6700 XT's noise level.

Ssva3de.png

For comparison's sake, the PS5 under load is about 31-33 dbA. The only parts louder are the shitty reference models or the overclocked Strix. Most people don't go for 4090s or 4080s. They go for lower to mid-tier GPUs that require nowhere near as much cooling or power and are relatively quiet while under load. If your PC is loud and hot, then it's either old or far more powerful than the PS5 anyway.

"Far more settings to tweak." At this point, you're just making up bullshit to prove a point.

Right back at you. It's fine to have preferences. Nothing wrong with liking consoles over PC or vice-versa. Just don't make stuff up to prove a point. The irony of you utterly downplaying the advantages of a PC and then subsequently telling me to step outside of my bubble is almost palpable.
Lots of console gamers have no experience in living room PCs, that’s why posts like that pop up. I was similar not long ago, was the main reason why I didn’t want a PC in the living room and used consoles instead.

The last PC I built was focused on getting the noise level down. Using a silent bios on the graphics card and a big ass AIO water cooler and noctua case fans and oversized PSU with fans not spinning at ”lower” power usage.

It’s more silent than my PS5.

But I had to tweak fan curves, default it was loud, surprisingly so.

tr1p1ex

Most (maybe all?) misinterpret Sony's comments. They take them too literally. They take them to mean Sony thinks it will suddenly sell a gazillion extra PS5s to pcgamers.

That's not the case. Sony is just commenting on the positioning of the pc releases. It's obvious they are selling games on the pc to make extra money due to higher development costs. They don't need to say that. That gives off the wrong message.

The message they want to convey is the PS5 is the place to play these games still. That's why they said it like they said it.

I saw some pcgamers get a console just for the last GTA instead of waiting a year+ for it on the pc.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This sounds good on paper but i feel like it won't work. PC players just need to wait for the initial wait time (it already happened) and after that you get a constant stream of Playstation games, just at an offset of 1-2 years. On top of all the Xbox games.
Yeah I’ve accepted the wait. FOMO can be felt right around the PS release day when everybody is talking about the game, but within 2 weeks that talk has died down since people have moved on to other games, after that it’s no problem. Like who’s seriously bothered about waiting for FFXVI today? Or Spider-Man 2? It’s such a non issue.

Today I’m mostly excited to see what they have improved over the console release.

And what mods I might get, like Returnal on PC:
qCEuTOd.jpeg

Fredrik

The message they want to give off is the PS5 is the place to play these games still. That's why they said it like they said it.
They actually used these definitions during that short segment:

”PS5”
”Playstation platforms”
”Playstation at large”
”Playstation specifically”

I don’t think PS5 was all they talked about.

tr1p1ex

They actually used these definitions during that short segment:

”PS5”
”Playstation platforms”
”Playstation at large”
”Playstation specifically”

I don’t think PS5 was all they talked about.
Well don't take my use of PS5 too literally either. For one, given the development times of games these days, many sequels to upcoming PS5 games probably won't happen on the PS5.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lots of console gamers have no experience in living room PCs, that’s why posts like that pop up. I was similar not long ago, was the main reason why I didn’t want a PC in the living room and used consoles instead.

The last PC I built was focused on getting the noise level down. Using a silent bios on the graphics card and a big ass AIO water cooler and noctua case fans and oversized PSU with fans not spinning at ”lower” power usage.

It’s more silent than my PS5.

But I had to tweak fan curves, default it was loud, surprisingly so.
I'm not expecting most PC builds to be as quiet as the PS5. However, it's fairly easy to build a good machine that isn't loud and hot. That's especially true if you stick to lower-end parts with a much lower tdp and heat output.

I simply think the whole, "PCs are huge and loud towers" is way overblown.

Fredrik

Well don't take my use of PS5 too literally either. For one, given the development times of games these days, many sequels to upcoming PS5 games probably won't happen on the PS5.
Yeah, and he was reading a paper so I don’t think he used all those definitions without reason. Upcoming consoles, handhelds, VR, even launcher/storefront. Tbh with the new PSN requirement their definition of ”Playstation platform” can probably be whatever they want where they can lock content into a bubble.

You're assuming that the majority of PC gamers have PCs that comfortably outperform PS5. That's factually incorrect.

Also, cost is another big factor. Many people may consider buying a $399 console over a $1,500 PC, especially if they can play a sequel they really want 2 years earlier.
Most popular GPU on Steam by far is the 3060 which runs circles around the PS5 in image reconstruction due to its Tensor cores and beats the crap out of it at RT considering even an ancient 6 year old 2060 outperforms the PS5 in RT and image reconstruction. The only advantage the PS5 has is a 10% speed advantage in rasterization. Considering the 4060 is much faster than the 3060 and its exploding in popularity on track to surpass the 3060, the PS5 won't even have the small raster advantage.

But it goes deeper than this as game performance is dictated by CPU and GPUs. CPU wise the PS5 is very weak compared to even weak PCs (the PS5 is slower than even bottom tier Zen 2 CPUs from 2019 and even 2017 Intel CPUs could match Zen 2 at gaming). So a PC can easily produce better and smoother framerate as long as settings match the GPUs capabilities.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Most popular GPU on Steam by far is the 3060 which runs circles around the PS5 in image reconstruction due to its Tensor cores and beats the crap out of it at RT considering even an ancient 6 year old 2060 outperforms the PS5 in RT and image reconstruction. The only advantage the PS5 has is a 10% speed advantage in rasterization. Considering the 4060 is much faster than the 3060 and its exploding in popularity on track to surpass the 3060, the PS5 won't even have the small raster advantage.

But it goes deeper than this as game performance is dictated by CPU and GPUs. CPU wise the PS5 is very weak compared to even weak PCs (the PS5 is slower than even bottom tier Zen 2 CPUs from 2019 and even 2017 Intel CPUs could match Zen 2 at gaming). So a PC can easily produce better and smoother framerate as long as settings match the GPUs capabilities.
Are there 60 million 3060s out in the market?

That's my point.

The market - at comparable power - is quite small on the PC side. There's a reason why less-demanding games like Stardew Valley blow up so much on Steam. They have a larger userbase to target.

DAHGAMING

As someone who always has both consoles and a mid range gaming pc, Im leaning more and more on PC only. Obviously we all know the Xbox situation and all there games are day one PC anyway. With PS5 it seems most if not all of there future games will be on PC if not day 1 only a yr or 2 down the line.

As it stands when next gen comes around I think im just going to put all that money I would of spent on the consoles into a high end PC for my setup and use my gaming laptop for when im chilling downstair when my missus is watching tv, or link it up to the tv if I feel like having a few drinks on the sofa busting abit of FIFA or somthing more casual.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
Why is anyone surprised by these comments? Without being explicitly stated, this has been the goal of every console manufacturer from the very beginning.

SSfox

Yeah this is bad strategy, Sony is clueless if they think people can't wait 2 years for a single player game, specially when you consider they have all DLCs content for free as well

IDWhite

Those GPUs don't give you the same performance as a Ps5 on raster workload. They have better AI reconstruction and that's it. RT on Ps5 still perform on par o really close to mid range GPUs form Nvidia 2000 and 3000 RTX GPUs when devs don't focus on Nvidia architecture only (see the case of Avatar FoP or Spiderman remaster). Nvidia mid range GPUs are heavily limited by their 8GB of VRAM and bandwidth so you can't crank all settings up.

On CPU side the performance is really good. Ps5 CPU are complemented by other coprocessors that offload a lot of work that on PC you need to do entirely on CPU or GPU. As games begin to appear with heavy asset management with streaming from SSDs and decompression we see how mid range PCs are drowning (see the case of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom liberty expansion, TLOU remake or R&C Rift Apart)

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

It's amazing how most of the "random issues that make PC gaming miserable" always seem to happen to the people who somehow already had a bias in favor of their favourite plastic box.

It's amazing how most of the "random issues that make PC gaming miserable" never seem to happen to the people who somehow already had a bias in favor of their favourite box.

rolling-eyes.gif

Please grow up.

three_muffins

Gold Member
PC master race pride doesn't allow them to admit it but a lot of them buy some consoles as secondary gaming devices.

If you already have powerful PC then spending additional $400 on PS5 is peanuts for you, so why not?
Where does this knowlegde come from? How many is "a lot" and how did you raise that data?

Yeah I’ve accepted the wait. FOMO can be felt right around the PS release day when everybody is talking about the game, but within 2 weeks that talk has died down since people have moved on to other games, after that it’s no problem. Like who’s seriously bothered about waiting for FFXVI today? Or Spider-Man 2? It’s such a non issue.

Today I’m mostly excited to see what they have improved over the console release.

And what mods I might get, like Returnal on PC:
qCEuTOd.jpeg
Exactly. PC players know they just have to wait for a better thing, here a much better version of Returnal (which is disappointing on PS5 TBH). They'll entice PC players to buy a PS5 with truely exclusive AA games, like Astro bot, not 'tentpole' game that will inevitably be better and cheaper on PC.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Enforced third-party accounts for single-player games don't exactly entice unfortunately. Keep this crap up and i will not even get Bloodborne, especially if its some downgraded "remake".

Last edited:

Fredrik

Exactly. PC players know they just have to wait for a better thing, here a much better version of Returnal (which is disappointing on PS5 TBH). They'll entice PC players to buy a PS5 with truely exclusive AA games, like Astro bot, not 'tentpole' game that will inevitably be better and cheaper on PC.
Is Astro Bot a true exclusive?
That one will hurt. Looked amazing. But my plan stays, no more investment on consoles for a couple years minimum. Maybe I should sell the consoles to not get tricked to invest. But then I need another Bluray player. Sigh

Last edited:
Is Astro Bot a true exclusive?
That one will hurt. Looked amazing. But my plan stays, no more investment on consoles for a couple years minimum. Maybe I should sell the consoles to not get tricked to invest. But then I need another Bluray player. Sigh
It looks like it will stay exclusive for some time. For one it has likely being designed around DualSense controller and instant loadings. Not all PS games need to be ported to PC!

Last edited:

Fredrik

It looks like it will stay exclusive for some time. For one it has likely being designed around DualSense controller and instand loadings. Not all PS games need to be ported to PC!
Bummer! But Dualsense works on PC too and iirc a modern m2 disc is faster than the one in PS5.
I totally get your last thing though, from a platform holder perspective I would’ve honestly stopped doing ports, alltogether. I see what it does, I would’ve still played everything on PS5 otherwise. But from my own perspective, as someone who has dropped consoles, I want everything to get ported to PC. It’s even more annoying if everything except a tiny number of rare games gets ported. That’s how it was last gen on Xbox when some IPs had no ports.

Danknugz

I don't really understand why you conflate 9x (DOS kernel) with XP (NT kernel). BSOD was a rarity in the latter.

I stopped using 9x back in 2000 with Windows 2000 (yes, it had DX9, EAX, Multimedia features, unlike NT4).

I don't consider it a dark age era, for me 95-03 was the Golden Age era of PC gaming.

Only people who experienced the transition from software rasterization to 3D accelerators (3Dfx Voodoo) and then programmable shaders (GeForce 3) will understand what I'm talking about.

From the Nvidia grass demo (we saw something equivalent on PS3's Flower thanks to Cell SPUs and Zelda BoTW physics-based grass later on), to the Chameleon/Zoltar demos, PC truly had the crown back then:

Naughty Dog reached Zoltar's level of facial expression fidelity with GeForce 7 and a little bit of help from Cell to assist vertex shader animations.

That's why I love so much the PS360 era (and Switch), it's because it reminds me of the DX7-8-9 era of PC gaming.

I may have a beefy PC myself, but I'm not impressed by modern PC gaming (too much focus on RGB Xmas circus bling, too many edgelords being tech illiterate and shouting to be PC Mustard Rice). Back in the mid 90s/early 2000s it was very, very different compared to today. Different audience, different climate.

Also, consoles never had more VRAM than PCs. Back in 1999 Dreamcast only had 8MB VRAM, while on PC you could have a RIVA TNT2 with 32MB VRAM or a GeForce 256 with 64MB VRAM and T&L as a bonus. ;)

I get it, internet was not that accessible back then and building a PC required far more knowledge than today, but arguably it was the Golden Era of PC gaming and sadly it's never coming back.

you're right i conflate win9x with xp which was slightly better but still ram the dreaded GFWL, and the drivers weren't nearly as efficient and to the metal as consoles. That's why PCs with 32MB performed barely any better than say the ps2 with its 12MB or whatever. (like i said except FPS genre, all other genres were arguably better on console during that time not becessarily because of hardware per se but driver, software support and studios willing to work with windows as a platform at the time.

Personally yes I did experience the difference between software rendering and GPU acceleration with open GL which was the first driver i got working with quake2 with my voodoo2 and it blew my mind.

Last edited:

FewRope

I don't really understand why you conflate 9x (DOS kernel) with XP (NT kernel). BSOD was a rarity in the latter.

I stopped using 9x back in 2000 with Windows 2000 (yes, it had DX9, EAX, Multimedia features, unlike NT4).

I don't consider it a dark age era, for me 95-03 was the Golden Age era of PC gaming.

Only people who experienced the transition from software rasterization to 3D accelerators (3Dfx Voodoo) and then programmable shaders (GeForce 3) will understand what I'm talking about.

From the Nvidia grass demo (we saw something equivalent on PS3's Flower thanks to Cell SPUs and Zelda BoTW physics-based grass later on), to the Chameleon/Zoltar demos, PC truly had the crown back then:

Naughty Dog reached Zoltar's level of facial expression fidelity with GeForce 7 and a little bit of help from Cell to assist vertex shader animations.

That's why I love so much the PS360 era (and Switch), it's because it reminds me of the DX7-8-9 era of PC gaming.

I may have a beefy PC myself, but I'm not impressed by modern PC gaming (too much focus on RGB Xmas circus bling, too many edgelords being tech illiterate and shouting to be PC Mustard Rice). Back in the mid 90s/early 2000s it was very, very different compared to today. Different audience, different climate.

Also, consoles never had more VRAM than PCs. Back in 1999 Dreamcast only had 8MB VRAM, while on PC you could have a RIVA TNT2 with 32MB VRAM or a GeForce 256 with 64MB VRAM and T&L as a bonus. ;)

I get it, internet was not that accessible back then and building a PC required far more knowledge than today, but arguably it was the Golden Era of PC gaming and sadly it's never coming back.

Really good post, we didnt know how good things were in the early 2000

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's what people don't seem to get - the wait is relative. And if you jump to PS5 for say God of War 3, guess what, now you have a 5 year wait until the next one.

Roxkis_ii

That's what people don't seem to get - the wait is relative. And if you jump to PS5 for say God of War 3, guess what, now you have a 5 year wait until the next one.
I think that's the whole point. Sony gives pc players a taste of those sweat sweat first party games, and hope they grab a console to play them faster.

poppabk

I think that's the whole point. Sony gives pc players a taste of those sweat sweat first party games, and hope they grab a console to play them faster.
But for a PC player it's sooner not faster. Someone who picked up God of War on PC has to wait less time to play the next one than people who got them on playstation. The wait for the presumed 3rd one will be the same for each platform.

1) the drivers weren't nearly as efficient and to the metal as consoles.

2) That's why PCs with 32MB performed barely any better than say the ps2 with its 12MB or whatever.

3) (like i said except FPS genre, all other genres were arguably better on console during that time not becessarily because of hardware per se but driver, software support and studios willing to work with windows as a platform at the time.
1) Glide was the first low-level graphics API on PC.

Direct3D replaced it and yeah, that's a high-level API (until DX12 came out).

2) PS2 had 32MB of RDRAM and 4MB of ultra-fast eDRAM (48 GB/s).

You also have to remember that back then Voodoo 2 was a 15W TDP part:
There is really no comparison with RTX 4090 (450W TDP).

How do you expect consoles to perform better than high-wattage PCs?

PCs started a TDP arms race back in 2006-2007, GPUs didn't always have monstrous coolers with 2-3 fans.

3) The first FPS games on PC didn't have very high framerates, there was no PCMR meme back then.

Back in the 90s 35 fps was considered acceptable... let alone the horribly low tickrate to accommodate dial-up connections, there was no lag compensation either.

I consider the minimum frame-rate for Quake solo play to be 20 fps, and the minimum for netplay to be 25 fps. This is only a minimum, however. Netplay, in particular, improves dramatically with a faster frame-rate, and for serious competitive netplay you need at least 35 fps.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

But for a PC player it's sooner not faster. Someone who picked up God of War on PC has to wait less time to play the next one than people who got them on playstation. The wait for the presumed 3rd one will be the same for each platform.

That would only be true if the sequel came out at the same time on both platforms.

Like if you bought GOW:Ragnrok today on PC, you would have to wait two years after Gow 3 came out on console to get to play it.

poppabk

That would only be true if the sequel came out at the same time on both platforms.

Like if you bought GOW:Ragnrok today on PC, you would have to wait two years after Gow 3 came out on console to get to play it.
Hypothetical GoW3 release date of 2026.

PS5 2018 God of War -> 2022 Ragnarok 4 years -> 2026 GoW3 4 years
PC 2022 God of War -> 2024 Ragnarok 2 years -> 2028 GoW3 4 years

The wait time is the same.

Roxkis_ii

Hypothetical GoW3 release date of 2026.

PS5 2018 God of War -> 2022 Ragnarok 4 years -> 2026 GoW3 4 years
PC 2022 God of War -> 2024 Ragnarok 2 years -> 2028 GoW3 4 years

The wait time is the same.
Ahh I see what you mean now. I stand corrected.

So Sony would make PC players wait 3 years after console releases to really entice them to get a console! j/k

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Don’t do jackass things that make long time users move away from ps5 then. I’ve been with Sony since the ps1 and was on plus since day 1 and I said enough is enough this year. I can just stay with pc. The cost to rebuy most of my recent games on pc through steam and epic it costs me less than a year of PlayStation plus extra.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Bummer! But Dualsense works on PC too and iirc a modern m2 disc is faster than the one in PS5.
I totally get your last thing though, from a platform holder perspective I would’ve honestly stopped doing ports, alltogether. I see what it does, I would’ve still played everything on PS5 otherwise. But from my own perspective, as someone who has dropped consoles, I want everything to get ported to PC. It’s even more annoying if everything except a tiny number of rare games gets ported. That’s how it was last gen on Xbox when some IPs had no ports.
If you want to play this game you need to buy a PS5. I don't see this being ported before a long, long time. They still haven't ported a few others gems on PC: Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, shadow of the Colossus or The last Guardian, all from Japanese teams. It seems even Sony accountants understand the concept of a few gems still needed to be really exclusive on their console.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Because games need to be accessible without having to pay a hardware tax (specific console hardware) on top of the price of the game itself.. it just makes no sense to me.
Okay.

1. If you're playing a game at all, you're going to pay a hardware tax. It doesn't matter whether you're playing natively or via streaming. Hardware is going to be used to run that game. To play at equal parts to console, PC hardware will actually cost your more.

2. The specific console is required because the specific company which manufacturers it also developed or heavily invested in the game.

3. There are dozens of IP, currently continuing or otherwise, that would not exist as they do, if at all, if not for exclusivity. Without exclusivity, there's no incentive to create products that are unique from what the mass market chasers (3rd parties) do. Even 3rd parties have benefitted greatly from exclusivity. Had FF7 not been exclusive to the disc based Playstation in the 90s, it wouldn't have been the game it was, and the brand wouldn't have the legacy it does. he FF7 Remake project and FF16 wouldn't be what they are without exclusivity. Bayonetta would have ended at the first if not for exclusivity. Sea of Thieves and Sunset Overdrive would've never been made without exclusivity. Even Crash, though multiplatform today, would not have exist if Sony hadn't published the game back in the day. Spider-Man had dozens of games prior to 2018, and it just happens to be the exclusive one that blows all the others, and even Arkham out of the water.

4. There are many economic realities that necessitate exclusivity for some games. This kinda rolls into point 3, but it's worth focusing on the financials. There is literally 10s of billions of dollars flowing around the ecosystem as a result of the existence of seperate manufacturers/platform holders, which can only exist for so long at such a level with exclusive games. Take thay out of the equation, and you won't like what you get.

This idea that any of this "needs" to be accessible everywhere all the time is ridiculous. Plus, if you have the money and time to be putting together a PC more powerful than the PS5, the console is more than accessible to you. You just want the convenience of having your library in one place. Let's not dress it up as some kind of moral campaign.

I like that they looked at the success of Helldivers 2 and their reaction was 'but we don't want that for our single-player games'. That's certainly a takeaway.

Fredrik

If you want to play this game you need to buy a PS5. I don't see this being ported before a long, long time. They still haven't ported a few others gems on PC: Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, shadow of the Colossus or The last Guardian, all from Japanese teams. It seems even Sony accountants understand the concept of a few gems still needed to be really exclusive on their console.
I have a PS5, I just decided to stop investing in it. I realized that I want to play everything on PC and got tired of feeling like I get tricked to double dip. Last Sony game I bought there was Ragnarök. Waiting on PC ports of Spider-Man 2, Rebirth, FFXVI and Stellar Blade.

Those GPUs don't give you the same performance as a Ps5 on raster workload. They have better AI reconstruction and that's it. RT on Ps5 still perform on par o really close to mid range GPUs form Nvidia 2000 and 3000 RTX GPUs when devs don't focus on Nvidia architecture only (see the case of Avatar FoP or Spiderman remaster). Nvidia mid range GPUs are heavily limited by their 8GB of VRAM and bandwidth so you can't crank all settings up.

On CPU side the performance is really good. Ps5 CPU are complemented by other coprocessors that offload a lot of work that on PC you need to do entirely on CPU or GPU. As games begin to appear with heavy asset management with streaming from SSDs and decompression we see how mid range PCs are drowning (see the case of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom liberty expansion, TLOU remake or R&C Rift Apart)
I already addressed that by stating the PS5 is 10% faster at raster than a 3060 and 2070. We know what the differential is and that's raster without including the tensor cores and RT cores which is ignoring 2/3rds of the 3060's hardware just because the PS5 is not advanced enough to have them. In reality people with a 3060 will use DLAA (best image quality solution in the planet) and DLSS, those tensor cores will be put to work and the PS5 can't come close to that IQ with FSR2. I don't even need to bring up RT, the PS5 is so weak its weaker than a 2060, a 3060 spanks it at RT.

//DEVIL//

aside from their spider man 2, all their biggest games are on PC / will be released on PC this year.

you promote your console when you have the newest incrementalist on your console only. while the previous one you release on PC, so people who liked the first game on PC, might wanna buy a console to play the sequel. not wait 1.5 year and release it on PC and then say i want to promote the PS5 when you don't have anything exclusive from that series on the console only.

If god of war 3 for example is about to be released, i would release 2 on PC and then promote the third on PS5. this is how it should be done.

If anything, releasing more games on PC, makes my ps5 is less and less useful. right now outside of Final fantasy rebirth and GT7, my PS5 is collecting dust. I am already thinking of selling it once I am done with rebirth.

Top Bottom