• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

SaintALia

"We will release our games on console first because that's where the vast majority of sales will be, then we release on PC for a second helping and double dippers"
Just port damn ps3 games to PS5.

They are sitting on a goldmine library.
Is it though? An Uncharted trilogy and GoW games would be nice, Killzone games can stay where they're at. Maybe Resistance? But compared to actual PC FPS games, that's not gonna come off too good. Little Big Planet might resonate with the PC crowd, but aren't all the devs that worked on that dead? There's probably a lot more games that I don't remember that could sell well though, I just can't think of any.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Money wasted on a PS5 is money better spent on improving my PC.

As for waiting for games, I mean PS5 owners bought the thing four years ago and are still waiting for Naughty Dog to release a new game. Still waiting for Sucker Punch to release a new game. Still waiting for games that aren’t on PS4.

It’s not like anyone is really waiting for these games on PC. Have you seen our release schedules? Just about everything hits PC, not to mention the early access games you’ll be raving about in the future that we’re cutting our teeth on today.

So Sony might get a few sales here and there, but I think most people simply don’t care. There’s way too many other games to play, which include Sony’s GaaS games which will all be day one on PC.

Last edited:
As for waiting for games, I mean PS5 owners bought the thing four years ago and are still waiting for Naughty Dog to release a new game. Still waiting for Sucker Punch to release a new game. Still waiting for games that aren’t on PS4.

Because 4 years ago they just released games …lmao

Meanwhile, tons of day 1 games from Bluepoint, Housemarque, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla Games, Square, Team Ninja, Shift Up, etc…

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The “perks” of having to pay a lot more for competent hardware, software that stutters or bugs out more than on console, far more settings and things to tweak, a large ass tower footprint that’s loud, hot, and noisy and not conducive to couch gaming
What year is this? A large ass tower? My PC with a freakin' 4090 is smaller and more compact than the PS5 lol.

Here is the 6700 XT's noise level.

Ssva3de.png

For comparison's sake, the PS5 under load is about 31-33 dbA. The only parts louder are the shitty reference models or the overclocked Strix. Most people don't go for 4090s or 4080s. They go for lower to mid-tier GPUs that require nowhere near as much cooling or power and are relatively quiet while under load. If your PC is loud and hot, then it's either old or far more powerful than the PS5 anyway.

"Far more settings to tweak." At this point, you're just making up bullshit to prove a point.
Christ dude, step outside your bubble for once and realize there’s no obvious one way decision here and that others have different preferences
Right back at you. It's fine to have preferences. Nothing wrong with liking consoles over PC or vice-versa. Just don't make stuff up to prove a point. The irony of you utterly downplaying the advantages of a PC and then subsequently telling me to step outside of my bubble is almost palpable.

What year is this? A large ass tower? My PC with a freakin' 4090 is smaller and more compact than the PS5 lol.

Ssva3de.png

For comparison's sake, the PS5 under load is about 31-33 dbA. The only parts louder are the shitty reference models or the overclocked Strix. Most people don't go for 4090s or 4080s. They go for lower to mid-tier GPUs that require nowhere near as much cooling or power and are relatively quiet while under load. If your PC is loud and hot, then it's either old or far more powerful than the PS5 anyway.

"Far more settings to tweak." At this point, you're just making up bullshit to prove a point.

Right back at you. It's fine to have preferences. Nothing wrong with liking consoles over PC or vice-versa. Just don't make stuff up to prove a point. The irony of you utterly downplaying the advantages of a PC and then subsequently telling me to step outside of my bubble is almost palpable.

Hand waiving everything as usual

This isn’t made up like your 4090
Pc that’s smaller and quieter.

Most pc’s will be larger and louder but that wasn’t even my main point. Its the cost and hassle factor

Tweaking shit, booting an OS, lower optimization, that’s cons of PC stuff that many people consider to not be a perk.

Sorcerer

For me it's not hard to see a console gamer switching to PC but it's difficult to see why anyone would want to switch back once you are on the PC. I guess you can do both, but it seems in the long run its going to become a bit redundant. I guess if you like Nintendo, you have to bite the bullet there. Would love their games on PC, but Nintendo don't need to go there, at least not yet and the foreseeable future.

Isn't Sony working on a PC storefront? Is this just bluster until it probably launches in 2026? Probably in response to the alleged Xbox/Steambox? Sony pulls their games and future titles from Steam so you are not playing them on the Xbox. LOL!!!

Sw0pDiller

they can co exist just fine. Most pc gamer are not interrested in a console and same Goes for most ps console owners. Sony earns money by selling games, not hardware. But ofcourse they would like to sell lot of consoles where they can control the store and proces.

midnightAI

"We will release our games on console first because that's where the vast majority of sales will be, then we release on PC for a second helping and double dippers"

Is it though? An Uncharted trilogy and GoW games would be nice, Killzone games can stay where they're at. Maybe Resistance? But compared to actual PC FPS games, that's not gonna come off too good. Little Big Planet might resonate with the PC crowd, but aren't all the devs that worked on that dead? There's probably a lot more games that I don't remember that could sell well though, I just can't think of any.
He's talking about porting those games to PS5 not to PC, and I agree, Killzone 2/3, Resistance remasters on PS5? Yes please

feynoob

Gold Member
The people I know that played on PC only did so because it offered 60 fps for most games or they just only had access to a low end PC for work or school and happened to get into gaming with it to start and decided they really liked it but wanted to play it on their couch

This generation, 60 fps is basically 100% standard on most games.

The “perks” of PC gaming really only apply to non-mainstream consumers and enthusiasts. These are not a big crowd and are not the people I am talking about.

Those perks are an annoyance and drawback to the people I’m discussing and it’s why they moved on to console instead
Those people aren't PC gamers.

Gaiff

Hand waiving everything as usual
No, I refuted your arguments because they’re false.
This isn’t made up like your 4090
Pc that’s smaller and quieter.

Most pc’s will be larger and louder but that wasn’t even my main point. Its the cost and hassle factor

Most PCs are equipped with lower to mid-tier parts that are much less power hungry and quieter than the 4090. They won’t need to cool 350W of GPU horsepower.
Tweaking shit, booting an OS, lower optimization, that’s cons of PC stuff that many people consider to not be a perk.
>Tweaking shit. Now we’re going to pretend that having the ability to scale up and down the settings to play the way you want is a bad thing. I guess DLSS and Reflex to lower latency are also a hassle?

>Booting an OS. What do you think the PS5 is running?

>Lower optimization. Is this why 90% of the time the 6700 performs like the PS5? The only times we get blatant lower optimization are in PS5 ports.

Way to go to overblow the issues on PC and downplay the advantages, and you have the nerve to say I dismissed everything when you blatantly ignored things like free online and automatic backwards compatibility. And then you went on to say shit like having settings you can increase and decrease is a problem.

Now tell us about Windows driver installs, AGP vs PCI, and other issues from the 90s because it sounds like it is the last time you touched a PC.

Lol, talk about being disingenuous.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yeah. It is. Outside your bubble
Bullshit. PC gamers by and large hate when the menu options are lacking and when they cannot tweak settings to their liking. Having the ability to toggle post-processing trash on or off, adjust FOV, image quality, being able to toggle Reflex On/Off, Frame Generation, DLSS/DLAA and other upscaling options is a huge perk. This is why you got watered down options on consoles such as awful forced FSR and a quality vs performance setting, with the latter often completely destroying IQ.
Some people want a largely plug and play experience.
And you can do that on PC as well.

When did you even last play a game on a PC? 1997?

Last edited:

Zathalus

Some people want a largely plug and play experience.
That's 100% true, and we call those people console gamers (although PC gaming is largely just install and play these days). The things you listed as cons, such as tweaking settings and the ability to use your OS and game at the same time are what the far majority of PC gamers consider pros.

Options? Mods? Tweaking? These are all things most PC gamers enjoy, just check any PC forum, reddit, or the Steam forums.

Gaiff

I’m not talking about your master race keyboard warrior bubble
Neither am I. A weak options menu on PC is a nice way to get shat on. Remember the Dark Souls port and how utterly reviled it was? Guess why? Because it was practically a barebones console port. You could adjust almost nothing and people hated it. PC gamers want the ability to play games they want and you're sitting here telling me they don't. WTF?

feynoob

Gold Member
Console players talking about OS failure, yet ignore their console being useless when it bricks.

Accept it kids. Devices malfunction. Console, PC, and mobile can malfunction. Expensive pc can be useless. PS5 can be useless. iPhone can be useless. Nothing is safe.

So don't bring that up to downplay specific platform.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
That's 100% true, and we call those people console gamers (although PC gaming is largely just install and play these days). The things you listed as cons, such as tweaking settings and the ability to use your OS and game at the same time are what the far majority of PC gamers consider pros.

Options? Mods? Tweaking? These are all things most PC gamers enjoy, just check any PC forum, reddit, or the Steam forums.
Mods is the reason why I don't like consoles that much.

They are too safe with their stuff.

Gaiff

This. Flexibility is the biggest strength of the platform and this dude is trying to tell us that it's a drawback. Then he tells us how we live in a bubble when he's completely clueless about PC gaming.

Neither am I. A weak options menu on PC is a nice way to get shat on. Remember the Dark Souls port and how utterly reviled it was? Guess why? Because it was practically a barebones console port. You could adjust almost nothing and people hated it. PC gamers want the ability to play games they want and you're sitting here telling me they don't. WTF?

Again, I’m not taking about your bubble, that’s not the audience I’m referring to

You keep bringing up niche crap that the consumer I’m talking about doesn’t give a shit about

feynoob

Gold Member
Again, I’m not taking about your bubble, that’s not the audience I’m referring to

You keep bringing up niche crap that the consumer I’m talking about doesn’t give a shit about
The consumer you are talking are office job people.

If you are those people, it makes sense that you dislike pc, since you sitdown on the office for too long with it.

Last edited:

JMZ555

I sold my PS5 after Rebirth in the plan to pick up a PS5 Pro. There doesn't seem to be a exclusive dropping this year I want so thought it best to get as much money as I can now.

I guess as long as there is a console exclusive like Last of Us or God of war id really want to play day 1 then I will end up getting a PS5 Pro.

I'd rather just get a new PC to be honest though. I think I will wait and see what naughty dog/ Santa Monica cooking up then decide, may just go all in PC.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Lets think new God of War releases at 2026 on PS6 , and it tales two years to move it to PC by 2028. I don't see a Lot of PC players buying a console only to enjoy at launch the game. The value is little.

Gaiff

That's the majority, not a bubble. Most PC gamers love their option menus and the more comprehensive and granular it is, the better. Barebones option menus are hated.
This isn't niche crap. Suggesting that people on PC don't like tweaking settings and would rather be rid of options is moronic. The reason so many game on PC is because they can tailor the experience to their liking.

feynoob

Gold Member
I sold my PS5 after Rebirth in the plan to pick up a PS5 Pro. There doesn't seem to be a exclusive dropping this year I want so thought it best to get as much money as I can now.

I guess as long as there is a console exclusive like Last of Us or God of war id really want to play day 1 then I will end up getting a PS5 Pro.

I'd rather just get a new PC to be honest though. I think see what naughty dog/ Santa Monica cooking up then decide, may just go all in PC.
Get a good PC and load up all those beautiful rts games.

sncvsrtoip

Not bad strat tough they would entice pc players more without relaesing any single player games on pc :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Yes and that’s a lot of people. Hence a decent TAM
But that is due to outside of gaming.

Pc gamers won't switch to consoles because of that what you stated.
They will do it, if they have less time to use their PC or have kids. That can change how you play video games.

Quasicat

Gold Member
Im surprised they are a big company and they are not realizing is the opposite, this is not bringing Pc players to PS5 and PSN, this is making people from PS getting into PC and Steam
This is how I got back into PC gaming after nearly 20 years. I bought a Steam Deck for the portability and rebought some of Sony’s first party games on Steam. After not playing my PS5 for several months, I sold it. I still use my Xbox for the backward compatible games and Switch for the exclusives, but even then I have been playing my Steam Deck far more. Once my Xbox dies, I plan to build a gaming PC again so I can play Spider-man in the best way possible.

But that is due to outside of gaming.

Pc gamers won't switch to consoles because of that what you stated.
They will do it, if they have less time to use their PC or have kids. That can change how you play video games.

No, there’s a lot of folks that dabble with gaming on PCs because it’s what they have available

Gaiff

No it’s not, I’m done arguing that most mainstream pc users are not caring about the trivialities your crowd is into. It’s abundantly clear just by looking at average hardware profiles
The vast majority of PC gamers hate option menus. That's probably why every game has them and why games with limited options get shat on.

Makes sense.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
No, there’s a lot of folks that dabble with gaming on PCs because it’s what they have available
PC just does alot of stuff that consoles don't have. That is a big plus for alot of people.

For me, I like the option of not paying online mode. If I want to play on any of the 3 consoles online, I will have to pay (80, 120, 30) a year. I could use that money to buy some nice games.

Plus PC has certain games that aren't simply available on consoles, due to gameplay type.

PC just does alot of stuff that consoles don't have. That is a big plus for alot of people.

For me, I like the option of not paying online mode. If I want to play on any of the 3 consoles online, I will have to pay (80, 120, 30) a year. I could use that money to buy some nice games.

Plus PC has certain games that aren't simply available on consoles, due to gameplay type.

There's cons and pros to both. I like having the ability to do everything with a controller and PC just doesn't have that. It's close but it's not there yet.

The hacking on MP is just out of control on PC. Rainbow Six Siege was adjusting my rank every single day on PC at on point before I left.

Honestly the only thing I really enjoyed about PC gaming was game performance but once PS5 started consistently getting higher frame rates on games I went back to console. I just think a dedicated gaming device works much better than a PC. I love being in a game and my friends can invite me and I can quickly join their party and talk to them while I continue playing all with a controller.

As far as money that used to be a pro for me but I just don't care anymore. Money isn't an issue to me as far as gaming is concerned. It's a very cheap hobby thankfully.

GHG

Gold Member

Ssva3de.png

The fans on the GPU are not going to be the only fans outputting noise in your system though.

While I think it's pretty easy to build a PC that's very quiet these days by using a noise insulated case plus the correct fan setup, along with buying good fans (noctua/BeQuiet), firstly it will set you back a fair bit on the fans alone, and secondly the total system noise output is still unlikely to be quieter than a modern console.

Last gen I would have been inclined to agree with you (my PS4 Pro was somehow louder than my full tower PC that had 3 cheap Chinese 120mm fans in, a 140mm tower cooler, it along with a 980 ti), but this gen they've come a long way in terms of ensuring the noise profile is kept to a minimum. With a multi-fan setup you'll generally struggle to get something quieter than a console without spending a significant amount on higher end fans.

Gaiff

The fans on the GPU are not going to be the only fans outputting noise in your system though.

While I think it's pretty easy to build a PC that's very quiet these days by using a noise insulated case plus the correct fan setup, along with buying good fans (noctua/BeQuiet), firstly it will set you back a fair bit on the fans alone, and secondly the total system noise output is still unlikely to be quieter than a modern console.

Last gen I would have been inclined to agree with you (my PS4 Pro was somehow louder than my full tower PC that had 3 cheap Chinese 120mm fans in, a 140mm tower cooler, it along with a 980 ti), but this gen they've come a long way in terms of ensuring the noise profile is kept to a minimum. With a multi-fan setup you'll generally struggle to get something quieter than a console without spending a significant amount on higher end fans.
The GPU is by far the loudest part and likely to drown the noise of other parts. The point being that "loud and hot" PC is highly overblown unless you run high-end parts that require tons of cooling due to their high TDP. Most people will run 3060-tier cards and these aren't loud and hot at all unless you OC them. Noise isn't a problem with low or mid-tier parts. It becomes an issue with the more powerful hardware.

DanielG165

I can wait. My PC is essentially a giant PS5 at this point with how many of Sony’s exclusives have come to it. Why pay $500 for a PS5 when I can instead use that money to upgrade parts for my computer, and then be able to play games like GOWR at settings that aren’t possible on the PS5?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Bullshit. PC gamers by and large hate when the menu options are lacking and when they cannot tweak settings to their liking. Having the ability to toggle post-processing trash on or off, adjust FOV, image quality, being able to toggle Reflex On/Off, Frame Generation, DLSS/DLAA and other upscaling options is a huge perk. This is why you got watered down options on consoles such as awful forced FSR and a quality vs performance setting, with the latter often completely destroying IQ.

And you can do that on PC as well.

When did you even last play a game on a PC? 1997?

That's the problem. You "can" but it's not by default. And even then, you will never have the same plug and play experience consoles have. You talk like a Masterrace, these aren't the majority of the gamers.

Casuals don't care about pc's and want to play without the need to think about the hardware and software around it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

That's the problem. You "can" but it's not by default. And even then, you will never have the same plug and play experience consoles have. You talk like a Masterrace, these aren't the majority of the gamers.

Casuals don't care about pc's and want to play without the need to think about the hardware and software around it.
Most PC gamers play on low to mid-tier hardware and the most popular stuff are games like CS, LoL, DOTA, and Fortnite. Clearly, casuals care about PC because most PC gamers ARE casuals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom