• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

DanielG165

The GPU is by far the loudest part and likely to drown the noise of other parts. The point being that "loud and hot" PC is highly overblown unless you run high-end parts that require tons of cooling due to their high TDP. Most people will run 3060-tier cards and these aren't loud and hot at all unless you OC them. Noise isn't a problem with low or mid-tier parts. It becomes an issue with the more powerful hardware.
Yup. My case fans are massive enough that they can spin comparatively slowly whilst moving a ton of air through the entire unit. I barely hear them when playing an intensive game, and don’t hear them at all when they’re idling. My GPU fans only really get loud during a heavier game, and that’s the only thing in my PC that I ever hear.

I can put my hand up to the rear exhausts/vents, and the air blowing out is lukewarm at most, even during games like Hellblade 2 and Avatar. “Hot and loud” PCs being a common thing is grossly exaggerated.

GHG

Gold Member
The GPU is by far the loudest part and likely to drown the noise of other parts. The point being that "loud and hot" PC is highly overblown unless you run high-end parts that require tons of cooling due to their high TDP. Most people will run 3060-tier cards and these aren't loud and hot at all unless you OC them. Noise isn't a problem with low or mid-tier parts. It becomes an issue with the more powerful hardware.

That's not how noise works my friend. While not linear, it all adds up. So using a single component as a yardstick doesn't make sense, it's total system noise output that would need to be taken in to consideration.

And no, noise and heat doesn't necessarily become more of an issue with the higher end parts. My 4090 is the quietest and coolest running GPU I've ever had in 20+ years of building my own systems. Heatsink design has a lot to do with that.

Basically all of this comes down to "it depends", and because there are so many possible combinations it makes it impossible to make definitive statements, especially when it comes to noise and heat.

There's so much bullshit going back and forth in this thread. You don't need to fight misinformation with misinformation, PC gaming has more than enough benefits to stand on it's own feet.

Raven117

Gold Member
Not controversial just delusional.
Why? Seems like they would want to put out First Party games on a console they designed and sell....once that runs its course, pick up sales from the PC crowd to the extent they haven't already bought it on Ps5.

It isn't going to hurt sales.

Solid business move if you ask me.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That's not how noise works my friend. While not linear, it all adds up. So using a single component as a yardstick doesn't make sense, it's total system noise output that would need to be taken in to consideration.

And no, noise and heat doesn't necessarily become more of an issue with the higher end parts. My 4090 is the quietest and coolest running GPU I've ever had in 20+ years of building my own systems. Heatsink design has a lot to do with that.

Basically all of this comes down to "it depends", and because there are so many possible combinations it makes it impossible to make definitive statements, especially when it comes to noise and heat.

There's so much bullshit going back and forth in this thread. You don't need to fight misinformation with misinformation, PC gaming has more than enough benefits to stand on it's own feet.

He is trying way to hard. The PC elites crying over this news is just fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, that’s how it works. Your 5 db part will not turn your 31 db part into 36 db one, come on man. And I did say "likely" because the GPU isn’t just a little bit louder, it’s much louder than the other parts and will drown out most of them. You might not even hear your CPU fan if your GPU is loud enough. For part that are loud as well, the noise will add up but obviously not linearly.
TDP is literally thermal design power. It’s a measure of how much cooling is needed to dissipate the maximum heat output of a given part. The higher the TDP, the better cooling solution you’ll usually need. A 4090 with the same cooling solution as a lower-end part will invariably be hotter and if you want it to be quieter, you’ll need a more expensive and/or louder cooling solution.

Not a shred of misinformation in what I said. I specifically used the loudest part of a system system with comparable performance to a PS5. Unless you somehow get a bunch of shitty components to go along that 6700 XT, noise won’t be a problem. In the case of the 4090, you need a good aftermarket model to mitigate the noise but it will need a much better cooling solution than a 6700 XT to reach the same noise level.

Point is, a rig with the performance of a PS5 won’t be "loud and hot" unless you intentionally get terrible parts.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I love gaming on PC. One nivida driver/ bios update I now I can't play overwatch with a decent frame rate anymore. I wanted to test to see if it's just overwatch, but wait, cyberpunk updated too, breaking all mods and the game install. Lovely. Just want I want to deal with after getting off work.

Maybe most other PC players are rich and have time to troubleshoot pc issues when they pop up to optimize their setup, but if your time is short, console games mostly just working is a godsend.

On topic:
I don't think Sony should try to appeal to PC players beyond giving them scraps to just make some extra money.

GHG

Gold Member
He is trying way to hard. The PC elites crying over this news is just fucking hillarius.

I don't understand the angst from either side here.

If you don't care to play the titles in question when they come out then it shouldn't be difficult to wait.

And if you have a PS5 already then what goes on regarding the PC strategy has no impact on your ability to play all of Sony's games on the day they release.

What makes all of this even more bizarre is the fact that according to the polls that have gone up supposedly most people here have a console alongside their PC anyway (or a PC alongside their console depending on which gets more play time), so what's the big deal? Most likely the vocal minority in action as always.

geary

You heard it first on Neogaf. Having options is now a drawback in gaming. For an enthusiast forum you can sure find aone crazy takes.

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, that’s how it works. Your 5 db part will not turn your 31 db part into 36 db one, come on man. And I did say "likely" because the GPU isn’t just a little bit louder, it’s much louder than the other parts and will drown out most of them. You might not even hear your CPU fan if your GPU is loud enough. For part that are loud as well, the noise will add up but obviously not linearly.

Most 120 mm fans are a lot more than 4db in noise.

TDP is literally thermal design power. It’s a measure of how much cooling is needed to dissipate the maximum heat output of a given part. The higher the TDP, the better cooling solution you’ll usually need. A 4090 with the same cooling solution as a lower-end part will invariably be hotter and if you want it to be quieter, you’ll need a more expensive and/or louder cooling solution.

Not a shred of misinformation in what I said. I specifically used the loudest part of a system system with comparable performance to a PS5. Unless you somehow get a bunch of shitty components to go along that 6700 XT, noise won’t be a problem. In the case of the 4090, you need a good aftermarket model to mitigate the noise but it will need a much better cooling solution than a 6700 XT to reach the same noise level.

Literal bullshit.

0rdoPNQ.png

Point is, a rig with the performance of a PS5 won’t be "loud and hot" unless you intentionally get terrible parts.

Precisely, which is why I don't understand what you're trying to do here.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I love gaming on PC. One nivida driver/ bios update I now I can't play overwatch with a decent frame rate anymore. I wanted to test to see if it's just overwatch, but wait, cyberpunk updated too, breaking all mods and the game install. Lovely. Just want I want to deal with after getting off work.

Maybe most other PC players are rich and have time to troubleshoot pc issues when they pop up to optimize their setup, but if your time is short, console games mostly just working is a godsend.

On topic:
I don't think Sony should try to appeal to PC players beyond giving them scraps to just make some extra money.
No mods on consoles though. Also what does decent framerate means? For sure it’s isn’t higher on a console.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't understand the angst from either side here.

If you don't care to play the titles in question when they come out then it shouldn't be difficult to wait.

And if you have a PS5 already then what goes on regarding the PC strategy has no impact on your ability to play all of Sony's games on the day they release.

What makes all of this even more bizarre is the fact that according to the polls that have gone up supposedly most people here have a console alongside their PC anyway (or a PC alongside their console depending on which gets more play time), so what's the big deal? Most likely the vocal minority in action as always.

I have a PC and PS5. Best combo in gaming imo. But the kids who are crying are the onces that have spend thousands of dollars for some overpowered hardware while they still playing shitty games, and they just need to defend it (the PC Mustard face). This group is just pathetic and they are showing their weekness with this news which imo is hillarious to watch.

Suddenly, their Steam library isn't good anymore. Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general. Just watch how many suddenly are going to buy the PS5 (Pro) when GTA6 comes out.

GTA6 and some other games are going to make a lot of them weak.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Most 120 mm fans are a lot more than 4db in noise.
They added noise still won’t be linear. They won’t take your system from quieter than a PS5 with the GPU alone to loud and hot.
Literal bullshit.

0rdoPNQ.png
Cute but this argument is hilariously flawed. The model of these cards isn’t even specified except for the Gaming X which is aftermarket. The 4090 will need a better cooling solution than a lower-end card with a lower TDP. Or are you seriously going to argue that higher TDP parts don’t require more cooling?
Precisely, which is why I don't understand what you're trying to do here.
Pointing out the blatant flaws in Jame’s logic.

GHG

Gold Member
I have a PC and PS5. Best combo in gaming imo. But the kids who are crying are the onces that have spend thousands of dollars for some overpowered hardware while they still playing shitty games, and they just need to defend it (the PC Mustard face). This group is just pathetic and they are showing their weekness with this news which imo is hillarious to watch.

Suddenly, their Steam library isn't good anymore. Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general.

The kicker is, I don't even think some of these guys have high end rigs, hence the insecurities are manifesting themselves.

Meanwhile those of us with both high end rigs and consoles are just sat here like:

Man Body GIF

GHG

Gold Member
They added noise still won’t be linear. They won’t take your system from quieter than a PS5 with the GPU alone to loud and hot.

I'm the one who told you it won't be linear in my first reply to you. Let me tell you for a fact that it's difficult to build a decently powerful system that is quieter than consoles. That's part of the trade-off.

Cute but this argument is hilariously flawed. The model of these cards isn’t even specified except for the Gaming X which is aftermarket. The 4090 will need a better cooling solution than a lower-end card with a lower TDP. Or are you seriously going to argue that higher TDP parts don’t require more cooling?

The reference 4090 is right there highlighted in blue. Cute indeed.

Pointing out the blatant flaws in Jame’s logic.

Like I said, you can do so without needing to resort to exaggerations.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
For me it's not hard to see a console gamer switching to PC but it's difficult to see why anyone would want to switch back once you are on the PC. I guess you can do both, but it seems in the long run its going to become a bit redundant. I guess if you like Nintendo, you have to bite the bullet there. Would love their games on PC, but Nintendo don't need to go there, at least not yet and the foreseeable future.

Isn't Sony working on a PC storefront? Is this just bluster until it probably launches in 2026? Probably in response to the alleged Xbox/Steambox? Sony pulls their games and future titles from Steam so you are not playing them on the Xbox. LOL!!!
Yes, pulling pc games from Steam for your own launcher has been such a canny business decision in the past, sure to pay dividends again!

Gaiff

I'm the one who told you it won't be linear in my first reply to you. Let me tell you for a fact that it's difficult to build a decently powerful system that is quieter than consoles. That's part of the trade-off.
The argument isn't a decently powerful system quieter than the PS5. That wasn't even the discussion. James simply said that, "PCs are hot and loud", which is an utterly false generalization. I retorted that most PC gamers tend to have lower-end parts which are generally easier to cool than higher-end parts (which is factual) and are usually quieter.
Changes absolutely nothing to what I said. Reference models have had good cooling since Ampere. A 4090 will need better cooling than a lower TDP card to remain quieter. Slap the same cooler on a 4090 and 3060. Which will require the fans to spin faster to maintain 70C? Which will run hotter?
And when did I ever exaggerate? A PC with performance similar to a PS5 won't be hot and loud, unless of course, you deliberately get garbage parts and even then, I'm not even sure it will get to that level. I mean, I'm arguing with a dude who tried to claim that an options menu is bad for most PC gamers. He even went as far as saying booting into an OS is a con. What does he think the consoles run on? Leprechauns?

Gaiff

Suddenly, their Steam library isn't good anymore. Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general. Just watch how many suddenly are going to buy the PS5 (Pro) when GTA6 comes out.

GTA6 and some other games are going to make a lot of them weak.
This post must be irony.

The kicker is, I don't even think some of these guys have high end rigs, hence the insecurities are manifesting themselves.

Meanwhile those of us with both high end rigs and consoles are just sat here like:

Man Body GIF
Did you even read his post? The dude said this:

Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general.

I know you can't possibly agree with something this dumb.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It will happen for some. You don't think a portion of PC gamers went out and bought a PS5 when GOWR came out? There are millions of PC gamers that own a PC and PS5, but not an Xbox. And a big reason for that is because PlayStation doesn't bring their tentpole titles to PC day 1.

I don't see this changing unless Sony was to buy a massive publisher. They just don't have enough studios to make it worth their while to put all their games on PC day 1. It would hurt their ecosystem, no doubt
I do this, but I bought mine at launch when their PC plans were not clear. Now it is obvious I can just wait a year +/- a few months and play all exclusives on PC. I think fewer people will do this next gen, especially with the lower number of titles Sony is releasing.

I have to wonder if they are losing sales overall by doing this. Could the games sell better on PC if they were day 1? Probably, would it be better for them overall? Who knows? There are many factors including the store fees.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This post must be irony.

Did you even read his post? The dude said this:

Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general.

I know you can't possibly agree with something this dumb.

Seems you are upset about it? Many of these kind of big budget titles aren't really there on pc. If this was the case, why all these pc nerds are crying all over the internet right now?

Danknugz

as ridiculous as the thread title sounds, this was actually legit back in the pc gaming dark ages (i consider them generally 95-03), starting with the n64/ps/dreamcast and continuing up into the 360 era. windows 9x / xp were horrible with drivers, and consoles back then enjoyed dedicated hardware, with vram sometimes more than what was offered n top of the line pcs. that ran in a far more efficient way. fps was the only genre that pc gamers really got to enjoy in the way PC gaming should be enjoyed, back then.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Seems you are upset about it? Many of these kind of big budget titles aren't really there on pc. If this was the case, why all these pc nerds are crying all over the internet right now?
I'm just thoroughly dumbfounded by your post. All Xbox games come to PC day 1. Sony games eventually get ported to PC after 1-2 years. PC also gets its own exclusives. GTA 6 will also come to PC.

So if PC doesn't get the best games despite getting the most games, who does? The only option left is Nintendo.

I also love how you say PS5+PC is the best combo then proceed to shit on PC lol.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm just thoroughly dumbfounded by your post. All Xbox games come to PC day 1. Sony games eventually get ported to PC after 1-2 years. PC also gets its own exclusives. GTA 6 will also come to PC.

So if PC doesn't get the best games despite getting the most games, who does? The only option left is Nintendo.

I also love how you say PS5+PC is the best combo then proceed to shit on PC lol.

I hate PC Master Race, that's why.

These games are coming to pc, yeah so? the point is, that marjority of the developers from these kinds of games do not focus on PC first.

If PC was so much more important. GTA 6 would release on PC first or day and date, which is not the case.

Gaiff

These games are coming to pc, yeah so? the point is, that marjority of the developers from these kinds of games do not focus on PC first.
So these games are indeed coming to PC. Then how does this post from yours: "Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general." make sense?

simpatico

On topic:
Local Overwatch Player Flashes Motherboard BIOS with GPU Driver Software

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So these games are indeed coming to PC. Then how does this post from yours: "Deep down they know the best game releases aren't on pc in general." make sense?

Because none of them focus on pc for big budget titles first on pc. Majority of the PC exclusive games do not have the budget like the big Sony first party games.

Gaiff

Because none of them focus on pc for big budget titles first on pc. Majority of the PC exclusive games do not have the budget like the big Sony first party games.
That wasn't your statement. You said that the best games aren't released on PC in general. Obviously, you realized it's nonsensical and have shifted to, "none of them focus on pc for big budget titles."

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That wasn't your statement. You said that the best games aren't released on PC in general. Obviously, you realized it's nonsensical and have shifted to, "none of them focus on pc for big budget titles."

Yes and yes, they are not most of the time. And then what is what you want to prove around here anyway?

PaintTinJr

It makes business sense , for Sony PCs aren't supposed to be a replacement of PlayStation
IMO it make no sense, unless after watching Microsoft waste billions every generation to try and compete with PlayStation of two decades, a measly $700m extra a year from PC sales of exclusive games is the value of the domino effect to damage the entire PlayStation brand with its most important earlier adopter consumers,

Sony's entire $100-ish billion corporation is reliant on PlayStation thriving continually - not just some quick low hanging cash - to stay in business, and yet they seemingly are putting it all at risk for PC gamers that don't rate their consoles. Very strange IMO, and reckless for their shareholders.

Hugare

... Or, they will wait 1 year to buy the game cheaper and run it at better fidelity

What a stupid objective if that's their real motivation

as ridiculous as the thread title sounds, this was actually legit back in the pc gaming dark ages (i consider them generally 95-03), starting with the n64/ps/dreamcast and continuing up into the 360 era. windows 9x / xp were horrible with drivers, and consoles back then enjoyed dedicated hardware, with vram sometimes more than what was offered n top of the line pcs. that ran in a far more efficient way. fps was the only genre that pc gamers really got to enjoy in the way PC gaming should be enjoyed, back then.
I don't really understand why you conflate 9x (DOS kernel) with XP (NT kernel). BSOD was a rarity in the latter.

I stopped using 9x back in 2000 with Windows 2000 (yes, it had DX9, EAX, Multimedia features, unlike NT4).

I don't consider it a dark age era, for me 95-03 was the Golden Age era of PC gaming.

Only people who experienced the transition from software rasterization to 3D accelerators (3Dfx Voodoo) and then programmable shaders (GeForce 3) will understand what I'm talking about.

From the Nvidia grass demo (we saw something equivalent on PS3's Flower thanks to Cell SPUs and Zelda BoTW physics-based grass later on), to the Chameleon/Zoltar demos, PC truly had the crown back then:

Naughty Dog reached Zoltar's level of facial expression fidelity with GeForce 7 and a little bit of help from Cell to assist vertex shader animations.

That's why I love so much the PS360 era (and Switch), it's because it reminds me of the DX7-8-9 era of PC gaming.

I may have a beefy PC myself, but I'm not impressed by modern PC gaming (too much focus on RGB Xmas circus bling, too many edgelords being tech illiterate and shouting to be PC Mustard Rice). Back in the mid 90s/early 2000s it was very, very different compared to today. Different audience, different climate.

Also, consoles never had more VRAM than PCs. Back in 1999 Dreamcast only had 8MB VRAM, while on PC you could have a RIVA TNT2 with 32MB VRAM or a GeForce 256 with 64MB VRAM and T&L as a bonus. ;)

I get it, internet was not that accessible back then and building a PC required far more knowledge than today, but arguably it was the Golden Era of PC gaming and sadly it's never coming back.

Last edited:

twilo99

Heatsink design has a lot to do with that.

The consoles pull very little power, especially something like the xss is very efficient at under 100w .. it’s almost impossible to build a PC with that kind of power draw, you will have to look into a gaming laptop for that, or…

Take a look at this account for inspiration

No fans required.. gotta love it

ProtoByte

I am saying a minimum spec pc player would be enticed with a cheap entry point into a much better experience that’s highly optimized with a console
Min spec PC players dont have any interest in playing the kinds of games Sony trades in anyway. Guys who've been playing a rotation of CS, League, Valorant and TF2 will never convert to... well almost anything paid or AAA. Not in statistically significantly numbers, definitely not in pursuit of a console.

This is why they have to cut off the valve entirely.

... Or, they will wait 1 year to buy the game cheaper and run it at better fidelity

What a stupid objective if that's their real motivation
I don't think it's the real motivation.
The motivation for this initiative was to scrape more money off the top and for certain individuals to boost their profile at the company by promising to "expand the audience", but any analyst worth their salt would've been able to say, from jump, that 95% of anyone with the time and resources to build a PC matching or exceeding even a PS4 Pro would've bought the console already if they really wanted the games.

All you're doing by putting this stuff on PC is losing maybe a couple million people who are now double dippers and will just skip the console in future, and getting a handful of new ones who will wait beyond the PC release for a (probably deep) sale. You undermine the value of your console, which you cannot afford to do, and whatever revenue you get is lost revenue in future -30% from Valves cut.

We can see the numbers that they've sold on PC, they're not impressive. We saw what happened to Xbox when they employed a similar strategy. Look, even just the idea that your console doesn't have exclusives is damaging. The last thing you want right now is brand apathy.

Will they wise up before PS6 and stop this? I don't know. But for now, they've got this initiative.

Last edited:

Sentenza

On topic:
It's amazing how most of the "random issues that make PC gaming miserable" always seem to happen to the people who somehow already had a bias in favor of their favourite plastic box.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PS exclusive games are no different from the countless 3rd party AAA games, so I have no idea why Sony would think it has such a draw power to entice PC players to buy a console. PC players will just buy another PC games to play on Steam, many of which not on console too.

Top Bottom