• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is my favorites but I wants to see them makes an open world ambitious as TOTK and Starfield

Batiman

Banned
They have their winning formula right now. I think they’ll stick with it what they’re good at until people start getting sick of them. They make solid 3rd person single player experience that’s somewhat cinematic.

I’d wish they’d bring some of they’re ps1-ps2 style games back personally. Some more gamey type patformers

SeraphJan

If I want open world I'll play Rockstar and Bethesda game, Sony could do their own thing, they all excel at what they do

Last edited:
Sony is my favourite companies and they make the mosts games I like buuuuuuuttttt TOTK and Starfield are really ambition open worlds games with NPCs and deep emergence

I wants that from Sony these games are very lived in worlds are very exciting my friends

Ltnef5b.gif

I don't want Sony to go overboard on the open world thing. I'm happy enough with their more focused games like Horizon and Days Gone. Open, but not exactly sprawling and wide-linear such as GoW. They strike the perfect balance between accessibility and breadth. Sony don't have to do everything in-house, but instead just leverage their third parties.

Gojiira

I mean they made Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, Horizon, GoW technically, Days Gone. Honestly they make some really great open worlds. They just prioritise different things, for instance Starfield might look impressive but its a Bethesda game so it will run like ass, be full of bugs, dumbed down rpg mechanics etc etc so its swings and roundabouts really.

Yup me too.
Maybe Horizon 3 if they focus less on improving the graphics and more on everything else.

Horizon is open world but there's nothing ambitious, new or impressive about its open world aside from really nice graphics

I liked the first Horizon but found the sequel boring. I struggled to finish it .

I'd rather they focus on their strengths and the sales prove people want more of it regardless of the negativity those games receive on forums. Sony would have to do what Microsoft did and buy up the best remaining wrpg studios in order to have something like that

rolandss

Sony need a WRPG capable studio making games on their console that’s not from their crop of first party game studios because Bethesda games being on Xbox is the reason I bought a Series S to back up my PS5. I just got done playing Zero Dawn and (and tried playing Ragnarok). While mildly entertaining and pretty to look at, both have the vibe of Marvel/Disney films. Neutered of violence, no “edge”, very sterile and cheesy dialogue. I could bring myself to continue Ragnarok in particular, I just got bored.

Only two Sony first party games I’ve enjoyed recently are GT7 and Ghost of Tsushima (which I fucking loved) and there hasn’t been anything announced on the horizon that seems remotely interesting. Just the same old cinematic spectacles. Sony needs “adult” games with depth like Bethesda WPRGs.

bender

What time is it?
I don't know how else to read your post, you are implying they are pushing visuals so something must take a hit, no? Visuals over gameplay is what you are implying, otherwise your statement is fluff.

Maybe you just don't know how to read. Sony makes games that play well and are polished. They wouldn't be as successful as they are otherwise. But where they push boundaries is in presentation, story telling, visual fidelity and animation.

Nydius

Sony is my favourite companies and they make the mosts games I like buuuuuuuttttt TOTK and Starfield are really ambition open worlds games with NPCs and deep emergence

I wants that from Sony these games are very lived in worlds are very exciting my friends

Allow me to introduce you to a pair of large, lived in, ambitious open world games made by Sony studios:

fB7jFqi.jpg
O5pctIO.jpg

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Well, you almost got Starfield before the acquisition, too bad, that's still not a true Microsoft game if that can help you feel better, they just scrapped the PS5 version.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

There should be a thumbs-down button. Better yet, if it's clicked enough the post should disappear. or the thread disappears.

Anyways Sony has Horizon, GoT, Spiderman and God of War. Dunno if GoW counts as open word though.

Last edited:

Nydius

They are limited. Not true open world.
I'm starting to wonder why I don't have you on ignore yet.

They're not true open worlds.... why? Can I not simply get on a Charger and run across the map in HFW if I want to after doing the initial tutorial? Sure, some quests will be walled off, but they also will be in games like TOTK. Or they employ crafty use of upgrade walls to keep you from pushing too far (like having low health, low stamina, and low battery in TOTK hinders your ability to explore).

But considering people actively complained that Horizon Forbidden West was "copying" Breath of the Wild with the glider and the food system, to say Sony's games aren't open worlds is showing your ass.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Horizon: Forbidden West and Ghost of Tsushima are two of the best open world games I've ever played. With combat that sacrifices absolutely nothing which isn't always the case with open world games. Add Spider-Man (also incredible) and I really don't know what more you could want tbh. Besides the *specific games* that you mentioned.

yurinka

Isn’t Horizon an open world game ? Some of their facial captures given the scope of it puts others to shame .
Yes. Pretty likely it's the best looking game at least in consoles.

They are limited. Not true open world.
Nice joke. As open world games Horizon I & II, Gravity Rush 1 & 2, Days Gone, Spider-Man or Ghost of Tsushima are way more ambitious and complex than Zelda in every single area.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Let me introduce you "unwatch and ignore thread".
Good tool.
nope, not good enough. I want to revel in the agony of a poster watching their post vanish from the thread because what he said was deemed stupid. And quotes of the fallacy would be replaced by just the poster's name and a rainbow flag.

feynoob

They're not true open worlds.... why? Can I not simply get on a Charger and run across the map in HFW if I want to after doing the initial tutorial? Sure, some quests will be walled off, but they also will be in games like TOTK. Or they employ crafty use of upgrade walls to keep you from pushing too far (like having low health, low stamina, and low battery in TOTK hinders your ability to explore).

But considering people actively complained that Horizon Forbidden West was "copying" Breath of the Wild with the glider and the food system, to say Sony's games aren't open worlds is showing your ass.
True open world allows to ignore missions and do your own exploration.
I jumped from one zone to another while playing breath of wild (got stuck in a high level zone that were one shotting Me).

I love horizon and spiderman games. But they are truly never an open world.

SeraphJan

Glider existed in AC2 Revelations

feynoob

nope, not good enough. I want to revel in the agony of a poster watching their post vanish from the thread because what he said was deemed stupid. And quotes of the fallacy would be replaced by just the poster's name and a rainbow flag.
That would require the power of mods report. But it comes at heavy risk.

Crayon

Their open world games are a cut above the normal the average aaa, but I don't think they have it in them to do a breath of the wild or tears of the Kingdom. In fact, no one does. It's been a long time since breath of the wild and the closest things have been death stranding and elden ring. Neither of which are all that close.

Jury's out on starfield, but if it's like Skyrim, I don't think anyone else can do that, either. Again, it's been a long time and no one has done a game quite like that.

Nydius

Glider existed in AC2 Revelations
Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out how people kept drawing comparisons to BOTW and both Horizon games.

The idea that any one particular element makes a game a "true open world" game is what I'm lambasting here. feynoob clearly has an axe to grind and is using laughably bad logic to do so.

feynoob

yea, none of us have a clue on what you are talking about btw

Using this weird logic, 99% of open world games are not "true open world" lol

So you are reaching and exaggerating that term a bit too much man, relax.
That is the point.
Most games these days use the term open world.
None of them offer true open world like GTA and Skyrim.
Even the rpg elements have been dumbed down as time went on.

EDMIX

That might be how someone sees something that is linear or non-linear, but by default that isn't the term of open world.

It can be part of it, but its not some requirement and even the games many mentioned have options for all the things you just said.

You can ignore missions and quest in Spiderman, Horizon, Ghost Of Tsushima, God Of War 2018 and Ragnarok, same with Days Gone and many more, you can freely explore those worlds too...I don't know what to tell you, but those elements are not absent from those titles to pretend as if that was what you were talking about or something lol

"Even the rpg elements have been dumbed down as time went on."

Sure, that still has nothing to do with the term open world.

The games people have just listed literally have all the things that fit that term so......yea.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I jumped from one zone to another while playing breath of wild (got stuck in a high level zone that were one shotting Me).

I love horizon and spiderman games. But they are truly never an open world.
Btw Hitman franchise are true open world in that sense, every level is like a mini world with heavily detailed environment. There is only one goal, everything else is totally up to the player, no sequence are required, there are almost endless different way to achieve that goal that is all up to players creativity. Especially when turning off guided mission (Which is a terrible addition to cater to new audience, it being off was how it was meant to be played like Blood money), when aiming for Silent Assassin rank, you will need to utilize every tool, every interactive environment, every AI behavior, its absolutely astonishing, I prefer that open experience more than BoTW.

IMO the entire Hitman franchise is one of the most underrated game franchise of all time

Last edited:
Top Bottom