• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is requiring devs to offer timed game trials for PS+ Premium subscribers for games that cost more than $34 (Update: Wholesale Pricing)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
huh, Sony has that amount of power to do so especially for devs outside of 1st party studios?

???

It's their system, they can sell or not sell whatever they want on it. And devs would be really, really stupid to not sell at all on Playstation given the chance.

DaGwaphics

Wonders to self how long this feature lasts once sales drop for most games once the trial is available. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously though, good games should get boosted by this. Games that are less than stellar on the other hand... If devs are not being compensated in any way upfront, I can't see them being overly thrilled about it.

I always liked trying the demos back in the 360 days when they were so common.

Last edited:

yurinka

So these are the extended demos of PS+ Premium.

All new non-VR games that costs >33€ -for cheaper games is optional, not mandatory- will have a 2+ hours long full game trial (but Sony is also open to custom demos) to be released maximum 3 months after the game release, and demos are required to be available there for at least a year. Devs are also allowed to continue offering all players -outside PS+- demos, free weekends etc.

Great news.

fuertes.gif

huh, Sony has that amount of power to do so especially for devs outside of 1st party studios?
As I remember MS mandated all XBL games to have a demo back in the 360 days.

In this case Sony is the market leader so has more power, and since these demos will be behind a pretty expensive paywall means that they will be shown only to players who spend a lot of money on games, which may mean a higher conversion than normal demos.

And who knows, maybe they spread a small part of this paywal between the publishers of the demos depending on proportional total demo playtime for that month or something like that (let's say each month they pay 5% of the revenue generated by PS+ Premium during this month to the publishers of he demos and spread them proportitionally. Let's say he total is $100M and that 5% of he hours playing these demos were playing EA games, so they would get paid $5M that month for having their demos there). Please notice this is only a guess, it's likely they won't get paid at all.

Isn’t this piss easy , just put a 2 hour limit once you start the game?! Why is this extra work?
According to the source gamedeveloper.com article, devs can choose between making their custom 2h+ demo or to simply put 2+ hours time limit to the full game. No extra work required for devs if they don't want to.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not good.

1) Refunds should be available to EVERYONE. Not just people who pay $120 a year.
2) No dev should be forced to offer trials to EVERYONE. People who PAY $70 for a game are in it because they WANT to buy the game. This will bring in users who dont want to buy the game or on the fence and this will cost devs more sales.

Dumb idea. It isnt good for either devs or consumers.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Who knew that it'd be Sony to bring back the demo...for a fee.

Devs bitch about making demos for games for E3, how much are they going to bitch about this I wonder.

Might this drive some smaller devs off of the system? Maybe this might cause shitty greedy indies to make their games under the $34 mark? I guess most are in USD already, in CND sometimes that isn't the case.

This is a wild industry change that Sony is making here, and it's a mere footnote, picked up by some twitter user.

If devs have these 2 hour trials already made, then hopefully MS users will get them too.

In some games, 2 hours doesn't do much for you, I wonder will this eventually make devs with "slow burn" games change their game design.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is good. I'd like to see MS and Nintendo copy this honestly. Basically just amounts to universal demos. Nice policy.

Would be better if it was standard policy and not a luxury you have to pay more for being able to try demos.

The reason Sony does it is not to please you as a customer. It's so that you want to buy a more expensive tier.

If they did it for the players, then people with even the cheapest sub should be able to try it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ughhh how about just give your customers the right to return the game if they haven't played for more than 2 hours?
Dude, forget two hours. Sony wouldnt let me return the $100 edition of Doom my 2 year old accidently bought while playing with the PS Move controller just because it started the download. They can easily check if the you have playtime on the game but they tied it to downloads instead.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah this seems like something that be controlled on the platform level. Give people universal access for 2 hours. After that time the license is suspended until you pay. Why should this be on devs to enable?

I know that there were a few small indie games on Steam that you could finish in under 2 hours and people abused this policy by requesting refund after finishing the game. That's like the only thing against a system wide implementation. But if that's the case Sony should make 2 hours standard and let's say 30 minuts for these really small games and call it a day.

But Sony is not a software company so I don't expect much from them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Fine way to entice people to the service. Odd though that they are able to coax this out of everyone. That pull must be strong for them to be confident enough to do this (or maybe developers are getting a cut of PS+).

New category of speed run? ‘Can you plat/ complete a free trial game in 2 hours?’

There will be games that you can sequence break and beat within 2 hours for sure.

. . .that you have a single chance at to "sequence break?" I mean the amount of people who would use it for that is so miniscule -

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah, when you have the one the biggest market share
34 quid is the cut off point for this , why?
in any case game trials/demos are a good thing
Haven't you seen, people finishing games under 2h and then request a refund on steam. Maybe us to prevent that
Not saying you are wrong either

Last edited:

Elios83

Really good, for me retrogaming won't do it. Time is limited I can barely find time to play all the games I want to play so I don't see myself paying premium to have access to a library of games I won't play.

But game trials on new big games is a big incentive for me to consider premium.
Otherwise I'll just stick to basic when I need.

Kssio_Aug

The idea is good, not sure about the execution though. Wouldn't be easier to just allow anyone a refund if they play less than 2 hours? Isn't that what Steam do? That way, you don't need to give extra work for devs, and it's also much more logical. Also, they should allow it for everyone... I don't agree that just Premium subscribers should be able to try games out.

arvfab

Banned
So basically a feature which has been part of PS+ since the beginning of the service, but was heavily underused, is now part of the highest tier and "enforced"/supported more...

Never used it in the past, never will use as I'm not going to sing up for higher tiers than essential.

Still think demos/trials should be free.

Top Bottom