• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony may have just bought Housemarque

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
🤔

Buying Housemarque (or any company) doesn’t mean games will sell well. And actually as far as I’m concerned, Insomniac hasn’t proved themselves that they can sell a non Spider-Man game yet but Sony bought them anyway, so...

Edit: I will be looking to see if they can carry the sales of the new Ratchet.
You never heard of Resistance, Spyro and all the Ratchet & Clank games before the 2016 reboot? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

E2e27jZXwAE-WOx

Good stuff, give them an actual budget like Returnal for the following projects and let them roll. That being said, I'm not sure we can read what's in the OP as it actually happening, but it would be cool.

Chukhopops

Housemarque: We are a AAA developer now, we are worth hundreds of millions at least
Sony: LMAO that was just to justify the price, we didn’t actually mean it guys

skit_data

I wonder if all the people I see downplay this (hypothetical) purchase downplayed XGSs purchase of Ninja Theory just as much, I mean it took Hellblade: SS 3 months to reach 500k sales across PS4 and PC at £25.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Damn you Jim Ryan, why did you buy a studio that was focusing on PlayStation anyway?

You should have gone out of your way to buy someone who does multiplatform games, just to screw Xbox fans over!

I don't care about getting more games! I want to take games away from others!

You dumbass!

/s

I wonder if all the people I see downplay this (hypothetical) purchase downplayed XGSs purchase of Ninja Theory just as much, I mean it took Hellblade: SS 3 months to reach 500k sales across PS4 and PC at £25.

KMiN94C.gif

GhostOfTsu

Banned
What's even funnier is that Hellblade came out on PS4 first and it was ported to Xbox a year later. Now they call it a first-party game anytime they need to show Xbox games can get a nice Meta score too.

Ninja Theory were close with Sony and Hellblade was announced on PS4 only. MS was not involved at all in the making. They were not even making an Xbox version.

Melchiah

What's even funnier is that Hellblade came out on PS4 first and it was ported to Xbox a year later. Now they call it a first-party game anytime they need to show Xbox games can get a nice Meta score too.

Ninja Theory were close with Sony and Hellblade was announced on PS4 only. MS was not involved at all in the making. They were not even making an Xbox version.

Not to mention, that NT had two projects in the works before the acquisition, which MS had no involvement with, just like Bethesda had several titles in the works planned for a multiplatform release. Why exactly are those not moneyhats, and how exactly are they supposed to benefit the games, or anyone else than MS, is beyond me. It's just fanboy logic and mental gymnastics. If the shoe was on the other foot, the narrative would without a doubt be completely the opposite.

GuinGuin

Banned
It is amusing, watching Xbox fans flip flopping all over the place. Sales don't matter, critics doesn't matter, exclusives doesn't matter. Nothing matters to them, except Gamespass or Microsoft's warchest, apparently.

I've never seen a group of people that want so badly for (PS) games to disapoint as much as they do. Every single take concerning Sony is dripping with unbelievable amounts of salt. Frankly, its facinating how consistent they are.
I have the money to buy any game I want which is why I don't see the appeal of Gamepass. It's just a selection of cheap games but I don't even get to pick which ones. If there were Gamepass exclusives then I could see why someone might subscribe but that would have it's own set of issues. If you want to argue that they now have a stable of first party exclusives that's one thing but Gamepass offers nothing unique if like me you have more money than time.

Weird comparison. Hellblade had a budget of $10m.

skit_data

Weird comparison. Hellblade had a budget of $10m.
We don’t know how big Returnals budget was, it’s probably bigger but how much.

Anyway Hellblade SS was heavily marketed on the PSN store, more than Returnal is from what i can see, so I don’t see how that makes the comparison less legit

My point was simply that Ninja Theory seems to me to be one the more revered developers in XGS, rightly so. Sometimes sales is not the most important factor when deciding wether a developer is a ”good get”.

e&e

Banned
I have the money to buy any game I want which is why I don't see the appeal of Gamepass. It's just a selection of cheap games but I don't even get to pick which ones. If there were Gamepass exclusives then I could see why someone might subscribe but that would have it's own set of issues. If you want to argue that they now have a stable of first party exclusives that's one thing but Gamepass offers nothing unique if like me you have more money than time.
Must buy your movies too and have no streaming services... ”I have the money so let me waste it”. Good for you!

GuinGuin

Banned
Must buy your movies too and have no streaming services... ”I have the money so let me waste it”. Good for you!

If you own something you always have access to it and you aren't limited to a tiny selection. Yes, I buy a lot of the TV I watch for that reason.

Not sure if it's actually an acquisition based on that wording, as it could easily just be a continued partnership. But if so I think it's an acquisition that would massively help Housemarque, and thus make their games better. Just like Insomniac and all the Xbox acquisitions of the past 3 years, this is the type of acquisition that would improve the industry, even if sadly it guarantees that Xbox only users can never play their games, it helps a studio with more time and resources and marketing, which improves their games . I think this is the way better route forward than moneyhatting 3rd party games that doesn't improve the games at all.

And for those of you saying "so what they were already making Playstion exclusives". Two things, 1. This will make the games bigger and/or better, and 2. Remedy and Bioware used to make Xbox exclusives, sometimes things change, and getting them locked down guarantees that never happens

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well it's more just fortifying. Although they have been making exclusives for Sony for a while there's nothing stopping another publisher offering a juicy deal or housemarque looking elsewhere.

Like insomniac did with fuse (lol) and sunset overdrive. I guess it offers peace of mind and more stability.

Maybe sony get more money per unit sold but I, am not sure of that

Returnal is as a good game but a massive bomb. Selling less than 400k globally so far.

My guess is if they are purchased by Sony they won’t be making full priced niche titles anymore. I’m sure they will be unique but with almost 9 million PS5s out there and Returnal being the only of 2 next gen only games for the PS5 it is an absolute failure.
Sony said Returnal was successful for them and if more PS5s were out in the wild it would've done even better

Dream-Knife

Banned
The last great and original game was Elfmania on the Amiga. After that their highlights consists of Super Stardust Remakes (still love Super Stardust on the Amiga). The rest is mediocre (even though I liked Dead Nation and Outland).

But he is right, the corporation with Sony is not a new thing for them - they are creating PS(N) games for at least 15 years.
Transworld Snowboarding is the best Tony Hawk style game ever made.

I'd buy a Series X if it could play that game. Serious.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
But you did confuse both Gears and Uncharted with a walking simulator.
No someone mentioned gears as 3rd person story driven action walking sim, dropping all the other descriptors to only see the one that triggers you isn’t my problem.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
It's always the same people over and over again shit-posting.

Embarrassing themselves repeatedly must get somewhat dull.

Last edited:

skit_data

These number seem super low actually, I haven't played it but isn't it a game where you die a lot? If people die 100 times during playing it, that's only 90 thousand copies sold?
I finished the game a couple of days ago, going for the platinum trophy now in NG+.

I’ve died 41 times so far, I think thats pretty much the average. I wasn’t particularily good at the game from the start cause I rarely play shooters.

Edit: I just checked my total playtime as well: 59 hours. Idk how much I left it idle but not so much that it would impact it by a ton, because I haven’t used rest mode.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
tenor.gif

Alzheimer in action.
Why drop all the “3rd person story driven action”

the other poster is trying to make it into something negative but as far as I know no “walking sims” are action based…

Nothing at all, I love those types of games

you are calling them walking simulators not me.

Then why call it a walking sim?

Housemarque next game a 3rd person story driven action walking sim. I’m in!

What was the point of that if you were not calling them walking sims?

Let me fix you.

Housemarque next game a 3rd person story driven action game. I’m in!

See how easy that was?

Last edited:

wipeout364

I finished the game while only dying 5 times. So it depends.
Sorry I was thinking it was a large amount of deaths due to so many people calling it a rogue like that was too hard for some. I haven't played it so have no idea and am not watching any videos as I do plan on getting it someday.

Top Bottom