• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Yasuda (JP Analyst) - The Sony Group may see PS5 as a failure and the envisioned goals are unattainable.

I think all of it is vague. What this article represents is someone who is actually investing in Sony trying to judge what is coming in the future. That person has very little information at this point.

The whole console market is shifting. PS management just lost a CEO mid-generation and now has 2 for the first time, they fired head of production Connie Booth, they aren't announcing games, they're putting stuff on PC and Switch, they're losing some of their 2nd party exclusive partners like SQEX, and this guy also noted Rise of the Ronin underperforming. Console growth is slowing down and PS didn't seem to detail any kind of real response to that other than Horizon Lego on Switch or PC releases. If console sales continue to slow down, PS will be more out of position than their competitors, and there's really no current public plans to acknowledge that or prepare for it. Instead they even said "even if PS5 sales are lower it's not a problem because we're making a profit." That's fine now, but pretty much kryptonite to an investor listening to management trying to plan for the future. I'm sure it's not lost on him also that PS is falling further and further behind in Japan compared to Nintendo.

It seems as though you're a bit hysterical. PS pretty consistently changes up their leadership, very different from Microsoft where you have longer-tenured leadership. Firing Connie Booth doesn't mean anything as of today. You have no idea why she was fired and no company would really speak to the reasoning of that.

They aren't announcing games because they've looked at the data and have seen that announcing games early doesn't result in higher sales but it does put stress on studios to deliver continual updates and is a a costly distraction having to make trailers for games or have to crunch.

PlayStation is looking to increase its margins by placing games on other platforms, something increasingly important as game development costs continue to rise.

Most Square Enix exclusives were on Switch rather than PS4 or PS5. In fact PlayStation just finally got Octopath Traveller. I wonder if Dragon Quest 9 will be ported next.

Console growth is slowing? What are you basing that on exactly? Products always peak in a product life cycle. Look up product life cycle.

As I mentioned before, Sony doesn't need to sell x number of PS5s this year. They know they're going to sell a substantial amount in 2025 when GTA6 releases. So why would they discount the price just to sell the same number of units that would have otherwise sold when GTA6 comes out only at a higher price?

The Switch is significantly chapter than the PS5 in Japan. 32,970 yen for the basic Switch compared to the PS5 for 66,980 yen. The PS5 is more than double the price of the Switch and already has a larger install base. There switch is available in many different configurations and there is no telling how many people have purchased a second or even a third switch.

Eventually the price of the PS5 will decrease and who knows how expensive the Switch 2 will be. It'll be very interesting to see how the Switch 2 does compared to the PS5.

I don't view things from an investment perspective at all, but a consumer one. For me personally, I think it's the worst PS generation of all time and they've lost me as a customer permanently on their hardware, and their subscription. I may still get some of the software, but likely just on PC. I don't pretend to have any kind of market analysis or professional opinion, but if anyone else feels the way I do on any of this stuff, you could see some of that sentiment manifest on PS6 when people are faced with another big purchase but are not satisfied customers. It sounds silly to ever doubt sales of something that's killing it currently, but looking ahead at the future, I don't see any real drivers of growth coming, but lots of indications that things could decrease a tiny bit. I don't see excitement building for the Spider Man games, but we know there's more coming for years. I don't see excitement building for God of War after Ragnarok, but there's likely another one. I don't see excitement for Concord or Fairgames, but it's still early so who knows. I could see all these doing well, but maybe not as well as the games that preceded them. I don't see excitement building for PS+ as a subscription. If I was actually investing my own money into Sony stock, these are all critical questions I'd be asking. But luckily I don't have to worry about any of that and just look at it from the consumer point of view. But I did find a couple of his statements interesting in this article. Made me think about it from an investment perspective, which I don't really do.

What's the best PlayStation generation? And what games did you buy?

As a consumer you seem like a complainer in general. You'll end up buying or building a PC and you'll realize the grass isn't greener and you'll complain about that too. What games are coming out on PC that you think makes PC less disappointing than PS?

I see more people complaining about God of War Ragnarok than they did God of War Ascension which was Santa Monica's real stumble.

I think there's another factor that people like you think EVERY game has to be for them and if they aren't, they're somewhat disappointed. I'm sure you didn't buy every first party game on any of the previous generations, but you simply don't like Sony investing their resources in games that aren't for you.

You mention Rise of the Ronin underperforming financially, but did you play it?

nial

Gold Member
Not really surprising seeing journalists in Japan have a negative view of Playstation. The PS5 is on par with PS4 console sales, but not with Japan. The Japanese have somewhat rejected this generation and have fully embraced Nintendo. Regardless, Playstation are making record profits and will continue to do throughout this generation
PS5 is literally ahead of PS4 console sales in Japan.

Orbital2060

The overall growth potential of their business is high, making it a stock worth investing in for the long term. That is why I can't help but feel ambiguity in the management's decision to allow Jim Ryan (former CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment), who was responsible for the confusion in the game business, to leave amicably. I fear that such vague management strategies may impact the company's business in the future.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

I really weighed whether it was worth it to respond to you or not and I really should have trusted my gut on that one.

I mean you're literally being hysterical, but as a consumer that's well within your right. I just don't think you're going to get much sympathy for that in an online forum.

I asked you what games you thought were going to were going to be better on PC and you ignored that which was predictable.

At the end of the day, it's about being angry that Sony is investing in things that you're not interested in. Are they reducing the investments in things that you are interested in? No, but they're still putting money elsewhere, which makes you angry.

You say you'll jump to PC, but are super vague about what you'll play there, which would have been a super easy thing to state.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
As always, a guy makes sound points and gaf's response is to act like its the most retarded thing ever said.

Sony's fanbase is more disillusioned than ever with playstation's output this gen. we just went a whole year with just one big first party game. this year, zero. in a generation full of cross gen games, remakes and underwhelming moneyhats like forspoken, deathloop, ghostwire no less. Then there are the studio closures, the cancellations, and layoffs at sonys biggest and brightest studios. In a gen where they are more profitable than ever before.

But yeah, lets act like this is the most retarded, moronic thing ever written.

Ultimately, people mostly fanboys are confused as to why Sony is trying to grow their business outside of just consoles, when it has historically been the slowest growing vector in gaming for like 20 years and while they are market leaders their costs continue to grow.

If you look at PlayStation Productions, there is no better guarantee that Sony will continue to invest in 3rd person cinematic games, which are the lifeblood of creating IP for PlayStation Productions and Sony Pictures, but again that isn't enough for people. They want Sony out of PC and out of GaaS.

Mr Moose

As always, a guy makes sound points and gaf's response is to act like its the most retarded thing ever said.

Sony's fanbase is more disillusioned than ever with playstation's output this gen. we just went a whole year with just one big first party game. this year, zero. in a generation full of cross gen games, remakes and underwhelming moneyhats like forspoken, deathloop, ghostwire no less. Then there are the studio closures, the cancellations, and layoffs at sonys biggest and brightest studios. In a gen where they are more profitable than ever before.

In a hearing with the Sony Group, they expressed the view that "even if PS5 sales are lower than PS4, it's not a problem because we're making a profit." Personally, I was astonished by this response because it suggests the notion that "as long as there's profit, anything goes."
The likely background to this view is that Sony Group's envisioned goal of PS5 surpassing PS4 significantly and overwhelming Xbox is now seen as unattainable.
Sound points? The guy is off his meds.

nial

Gold Member
Sony's fanbase is more disillusioned than ever with playstation's output this gen. we just went a whole year with just one big first party game. this year, zero.
They had three in 2022, how many times does that happen? If Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade aren't big first-party games, then Bloodborne wasn't either in 2015, and you didn't have people complaining about that.
I feel like people are always looking for excuses to dismiss Sony's output these days; God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7? "They're cross-gen!" Helldivers 2? "It's GAAS!" Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade? "They're not made by internal studios!". Astro Bot? "It's not a big game!". Spider-Man 2? "Fuck Insomniac!".

SlimySnake

Sound points? The guy is off his meds.
they are in the console selling business. if they cant sell more consoles with nintendo being a year late with their new console and MS effectively quitting the console business then its a real problem.

they are profitable today because they are able to squeeze more out of their existing userbase. but if they cant convince half of cod players to upgrade to ps5 then they are going to eventually run into the same issues ms is running into. MS is also very profitable due to their MAUs and engagement numbers. But if profit is your only metric then their CEO will treat them like any other gaming company and force them to effectively go third party to make even more profit.

nial

Gold Member
but if they cant convince half of cod players to upgrade to ps5 then they are going to eventually run into the same issues ms is running into.
You're talking about the "half of PSN users are still on PS4" thing? You can't just expect to have all the 120 million PS4 users moving onto the next generation in just 3.5 years. There's literally nothing negative to take out of that metric.

SlimySnake

They had three in 2022, how many times does that happen? If Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade aren't big first-party games, then Bloodborne wasn't either in 2015, and you didn't have people complaining about that.
I feel like people are always looking for excuses to dismiss Sony's output these days; God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7? "They're cross-gen!" Helldivers 2? "It's GAAS!" Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade? "They're not made by internal studios!". Astro Bot? "It's not a big game!". Spider-Man 2? "Fuck Insomniac!".
we had plenty of people complaining about sonys first party output last gen but starting from 2016 they turned it around.

and yes, most playstation fans dont give a shit about rise of ronin, stellar blade and helldivers 2. we like playstation because of big AAA games like god of war, tlou, spidemran and uncharted. if sony was delivering those kind of games on a consistent basis like they did with the ps4 2016 onwards you would not be seeing this level of disenchantment in the ps fanbase. but no we are getting scraps and hand me downs like deathloop, rise of ronin, ghostwire, godfall, and even stellar blade which is only popular because of tits.

the proof is in the pudding. we are on a message board that is constantly in a state of depression about the lack of true next gen games. thats literally the purpose of sony and ms first party. ms has largely failed to deliver and so has sony. if they had delivered like you said then the board would be overjoyed right now.

they are in the console selling business. if they cant sell more consoles with nintendo being a year late with their new console and MS effectively quitting the console business then its a real problem.

they are profitable today because they are able to squeeze more out of their existing userbase. but if they cant convince half of cod players to upgrade to ps5 then they are going to eventually run into the same issues ms is running into. MS is also very profitable due to their MAUs and engagement numbers. But if profit is your only metric then their CEO will treat them like any other gaming company and force them to effectively go third party to make even more profit.

Is there any reason in particularly you think they should be able to get half their users to upgrade twice as fast as they've ever been able to before?

Let's hit your points, point by point.

What major first party games released on PS4 in 2014 and 2015?

How are studio layoffs and 3rd party games Sony's fault?

Has Sony every laid off employees or canceled games?

Oh no what will we play. We have the best game Sony has likely made this Gen coming out in September after playing the fastest selling Sony title ever in the spring

What ever is Sony doing??

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I honestly can't understand posts like this. This year we got TLOU2 Remaster, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, FFVII Rebirth, console exclusive Helldivers 2 (an IP from, Sony). Still coming you have Lego Horizon Adventures, Astrobot, Silent Hill 2 (console exclusive), Until Dawn Remake and Concord.

You are getting at least 3 new IPs, 2 remakes, 1 remaster, 2 sequels. You are getting plenty of previously Xbox-console exclusives on PS5 with more to come. All multiplatform games are coming to PS5 as well.

If you're losing that's on you. I'm having quite a great year so far. There's so much to play, so many different types of games...but sure. Sony didn't give us an overbloated conference with games we have no idea when are releasing so no games are releasing as well lmao.
I think fans were expecting more games from the major PS Studios this year (SuckerPunch, ND, Bluepoint, Bend, MediaMolecule etc) especially when they only had 1 major release last year (Spiderman 2)

Honestly which Playstation fan cares about Until Dawn or TLOU2 at this point? A real fan played those years ago. We had both those games last gen and 60fps patch of TLOU2 not long ago. Im done with those games, Im done with Horizon 1, Horizon 2, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush etc. Im not counting remakes and remaster from last gen for a reason to be excited in 2024 lol.

Its a good lineup all together this year, with the 3rd party exclusives and PS Published games like Helldivers 2 and StellarBlade etc, but just PS studios that are owned by PS, its lackluster year again from those major studios. And Im day 1 for Astrobot and will probably be there day 1 for Concord too.

I never felt the old Sony shows were overbloated, they gave reasons for PS fans to be excited about the future. I much prefer the shows from PS3/PS4 generation to anything 2018onwards.

aclar00

In my eyes this generation is very meh...cost more, less of a generational leap and very little games im interested in. Here's to the latter half improving.

People really need to wait until the end of a generation before grading it. I remember PS4 having some pretty weak years around the middle of its cycle and the back half being very good. Don't speak too early. All it takes is one or two really good years and nobody even remembers the weaker years.

It wasn't called the indiestation 4 for half it's life for nothing

Kokoloko85

The whole console market is shifting.

But is it?
Or is it something Phil, MS and there fans (“journalists” and forum fans) keep repeating.

Switch is selling, PS5 is selling. There software is selling. Nothing is shifting apart from MS shifting away to also 3rd party and branching out. There model didnt work out for THEM.
Its not shifting just because Phil, Forbes and Eurogamer say so.

Last edited:

graywolf323

honestly I don’t understand all the complaints about games this gen, people are complaining about ports/remakes yet look at what Nintendo did for the Switch? the Wii U has almost no exclusive games left because they’ve almost all been ported/remade for the Switch… some of what people are most anticipating at the Direct are Metroid Prime 2 HD and ports of Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD

why don’t similar games count for PS5 to fill in gaps like they do for Nintendo? 🤨 and don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining, I still want Xenoblade Chronicles X to finally come to the Switch after all & really want Bluepoint to remake Legend of Dragoon 😝

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
we had plenty of people complaining about sonys first party output last gen but starting from 2016 they turned it around.
And it was, honestly, all drivel.
and yes, most playstation fans dont give a shit about rise of ronin, stellar blade and helldivers 2.
Most PlayStation fans? Where? On GAF and the console warring side of Twitter?
we like playstation because of big AAA games like god of war, tlou, spidemran and uncharted.
Who is 'we'? I like PlayStation because of its varied output, I'm in for a new TLOU as much as I'm in for games like Stellar Blade or Astro Bot.
if sony was delivering those kind of games on a consistent basis like they did with the ps4 2016 onwards you would not be seeing this level of disenchantment in the ps fanbase.
Huh?
2016: Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian
2017: Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport
2018: God of War and Spider-Man
2019: Days Gone and Death Stranding
2020: The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima
2021: Ok, if you don't want to count Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
2022: Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Ragnarok
2023: Spider-Man 2
2024: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade
Really, aside from 2021, what's the big switch over here?
but no we are getting scraps and hand me downs like deathloop, rise of ronin, ghostwire, godfall, and even stellar blade which is only popular because of tits.
Lol, come on. And don't even pretend that Deathloop, Godfall and Ghostwire Tokyo (good game even, IMO) are in the same level as ROTR and SB, by any single metric.
the proof is in the pudding. we are on a message board that is constantly in a state of depression about the lack of true next gen games. thats literally the purpose of sony and ms first party. ms has largely failed to deliver and so has sony. if they had delivered like you said then the board would be overjoyed right now.
GAF bitching about everything does not represent the overall sentiment among PlayStation users.

Last edited:

and yes, most playstation fans dont give a shit about rise of ronin, stellar blade and helldivers 2. we like playstation because of big AAA games like god of war, tlou, spidemran and uncharted. if sony was delivering those kind of games on a consistent basis like they did with the ps4 2016 onwards you would not be seeing this level of disenchantment in the ps fanbase. but no we are getting scraps and hand me downs like deathloop, rise of ronin, ghostwire, godfall, and even stellar blade which is only popular because of tits.

I have bad news for you, most Playstation players last gen didn't buy most Sony exclusives as well like Bloodborne (did that ever cross 8M sold?) or even God of War etc...stuff like COD, GTA, Assassin's Creed, Fifa, etc had a lot more sales than most exclusives and they were yearly games. Does that mean people don't give a shit about Bloodborne because you had multiplatform games selling more on PS4 alone?

And how the fuck can you say people don't "give a fuck" about Helldivers 2 when it's possibly one of Sony's biggest games ever? Stellar Blade as far as i know is a hit in every sense of the word as well, specially for a new IP from a studio that NEVER made a console game ever. And wasn't Rise of the Ronin the biggest hit for that studio launch aligned?

Also, lmao at comparing Godfall with Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin quality wise...

One last thing: PS4 released in 2013...and only in 2016 did we start to get the heavy hitters. One generation later when production costs and production times are bigger, you're getting those same heavy hitters, just latter than the previous gen (that already had those big games later than the PS3). I can't imagine the bloodbath that 2025/2028 will be. Most if not all Sony's studios will be releasing games left and right, plus stuff like Death Stranding.

Just because you don't give a shit about Sony's current line up of games, doesn't mean "playstation fans" (whatever that means) don't. Clearly they do. It also sounds to me like you're having trouble giving a chance to new IPs...which everyone was complaining about. AS soon as they release it seems like you don't even give then a chance and maybe you should cause you're missing some dope games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS didn't seem to detail any kind of real response to that other than Horizon Lego on Switch or PC releases
I actually think the PC releases is profit earner due to the lack of ready projects in their first party studios.
The timing of the first releases and studios bought in to do them kinda fits when they would have known they got nothing after the releases of the road map that was set out back in 2018.
Sony coming out and saying don't expect any first party releases until 2025 is probably something they was holding off on and didn't want to announce (and I don't think anyone has done that before)
But they probably had no choice as things don't seem to be looking ready.
I can't imagine being the CEO visiting those studios over this amount of time and they got nothing to show...
This is why we haven't had Showcase since 22
People are misunderstanding why people are giving them stick for this.
3rd Party & Collaborative Projects are great.
But they get them because they are leading current gen.
If they wasn't they would have to rely on their First Party Studios like they did during the PS3 era.
And what would it look like then.

Myself personally am glad they ain't releasing stuff in hope they'll miss the sweetbaby Inc shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ask yourself....... Why do people collect funco pops?

I hope you can get to the answer in short order and fully understand that answer.

Because they are fun to collect and look cool when placed next to one another on a stand. Your go!

nial

Gold Member
Sony coming out and saying don't expect any first party releases until 2025 is probably something they was holding off on and didn't want to announce (and I don't think anyone has done that before)
:messenger_weary:
Sony's statement was about major series sequels, such as God of War and Gran Turismo, because they literally have 5 (confirmed) first-party games releasing in FY 2024 thus far.
3rd Party & Collaborative Projects are great.
But they get them because they are leading current gen.
Lol no, they get them because they fund and publish them. They've been getting them since fucking 1994.
If they wasn't they would have to rely on their First Party Studios like they did during the PS3 era.
And what would it look like then.
I now understand everything, it's all nostalgia-driven, because this was absolutely not the case. Most of their output in that generation came from externally-developed projects; Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Demon's Souls, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, etc.

GermanZepp

Gold Member
I know how to fix this. Let's make games less risky, more expensive, longer to develop and lets put more budget to this sjw quotas and less for writers, it worked for Disney.. :pie_eyeroll:

mckmas8808

I'll go on to add that if I'm Sony, I'm not taking an extra 100 dollar loss on console units before the release of GTA6 which is going to be exclusive to consoles at first and will drive the sale of millions if not tens of millions of consoles that will be discounted by 100 dollars a pop for no reason.

Between now and the end of FY25, Sony could easily sell between 30-40 million units.

Let's say that Sony is still losing about 50 dollars per console sold. The current loss per device is going to be at most 2 billion dollars.

Discount the PS5 by a hundred dollars and that extends the loss to six billion dollars.

It would be much easier to let the sales demand evaporate AFTER GTA6 and spend that 4 billion dollars (delta) on something tangible. In fact it makes even more sense to release a PS5 Pro which maybe they MAKE 50 dollars a pop on and may represent 25% of sales.

Think about that, you reduce the consoles you were already selling at a loss to 22.5 million to 30 million, which means that your loss is now at most 1.5 billion BUT you're now selling maybe 10 million units at 50 dollars profit, which results in a profit of 500 million, which offsets your initial losses on hardware to just 1 billion.

1 billion dollars compared to 6 billion, only to end up with largely the same user base... That's a 5 billion dollar delta simply by holding off on hardware discounting for another 18 months or so.

With that 5 billion dollars that Sony would have eaten into their own profits, Sony could easily buy a company like FromSoftware/Kadokawa, which will net even more net income for them, not just on PlayStation, but on PC as well. Having FromSoftware be exclusive would also drive higher PS5 and PS6 sales.

Sony is more focused on market share than unit sales. They may discount the PS5 or do bundles, but they don't have to outright cut the price before GTA6 comes out. If they're smart, they're waiting until GTA6 sales really drop off before cutting the price of the PS5. So I wouldn't drop the price of the PS5 until FY26 at the earliest, but for all they know GTA6 pushes PS5 sales so hard that they keep the price the same in FY26 as well.

You look at people buying GTA6 which isn't going to be on the Switch 2 and their only option is buying a PS5 or an Xbox and most will look at the PS6 which is likely to be a higher margin device for Sony.

How this guy doesn't understand that suggests he's a pretty shit analyst.

This may be the best explanation that I've seen on why Sony isn't cutting the price of the PS5. Never thought about GTA6 and how that plays into the equation. But you're right.

TGO

because they literally have 5 (confirmed) first-party games releasing in FY 2024 thus far.
Playstation Studios
They have 5 games releasing this year
tenor.gif

Put the game next to the studio
Here I'll help
Team Asobi - Astro Bot
Bend Studio
Bungie
Firesprite
Firewalk Studios - Concord
Nixxes Software
Guerrilla Games
Haven Studios
Housemarque
Insomniac Games
Media Molecule
Valkyrie Entertainment
Naughty Dog
San Diego Studio
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch Productions
Bluepoint Games
Polyphony Digital

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Playstation Studios
They have 5 games releasing this year
tenor.gif

Put the game next to the studio
Here I'll help
Team Asobi - Astro Bot
Bend Studio
Bungie
Firesprite
Firewalk Studios - Concord
Nixxes Software
Guerrilla Games
Haven Studios
Housemarque
Insomniac Games
Media Molecule
Valkyrie Entertainment
Naughty Dog
San Diego Studio
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch Productions
Bluepoint Games
Polyphony Digital
XDEV Group - Stellar Blade, Until Dawn
Guerrilla Games - Lego Horizon Adventures
I'll help you with something, this '1st party' and '2nd party' shit does not work when we talk about SIE's reports, because every single sale from content published by them goes straight into their first-party revenue. Hence, Stellar Blade and Until Dawn are considered first-party releases by SIE, which means that you cannot apply your own made-up context to their statement regarding their output until April 2025.

This may be the best explanation that I've seen on why Sony isn't cutting the price of the PS5. Never thought about GTA6 and how that plays into the equation. But you're right.

Did you know that EA FC isn't cross gen? You can do cross platform Xbox Series to PS5, but you can't do PS4 to PS5. So if your friends buys a PS5 and you have a PS4, you can't play together.

There are absolutely triggers that will cause increased PS5 sales over the next 24 months, that Sony can survive lower sales as long as they're maintaining market share.

Eventually EA FC won't be sold on PS4 and to get the latest version you'll have to buy a current gen device. GTA6 will likely trigger sustainable sales towards that 18 million figure sony plans on selling this year, it may even sell more units in 2025 than 2024.

Wait until Fortnite and Warzone drop PS4 support.

Madden 25 supports PS4 but College Football 25 does not. Valorant will be on PS5 but not PS4. Marathon isn't going to be on PS4.

All of these things will start to trigger PS5 sales among active PS4 users. Sony knows this, they'd rather sell fewer PS5s now at a smaller loss and sell the higher number of these devices under the PS5 Pro which I'm assuming will be sold at a positive margin, possibly with a digital version and a non digital version at an even greater margin.

PS5 Digital - 450
PS5 Standard - 500
PS5 Pro Digital - 600/650
PS5 Pro Standard - 650/700

How many people buying GTA6 will force their friends to upgrade to PS5 to keep playing EA FC with them?

TGO

Just released 90+ MC The Final Shape

Just released highly-charted GoT Port and we know about TLoU 2 port thanks to EGS leak

Just released MLB The Show

I dunno, I think Sony is doing more than alright.
awkward always sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

:messenger_weary:
Sony's statement was about major series sequels, such as God of War and Gran Turismo, because they literally have 5 (confirmed) first-party games releasing in FY 2024 thus far.
major? no?
But titles to entice people to buy a PS5 and excite the Userbase...yes
That should be the goal of every first party title.
Lol no, they get them because they fund and publish them. They've been getting them since fucking 1994.
Really they seem to have lost of lot them during the PS3 erae
I now understand everything, it's all nostalgia-driven, because this was absolutely not the case. Most of their output in that generation came from externally-developed projects; Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Demon's Souls, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, etc.
It's just a reference, PS4 was the same
And I am more then happy with what I have from 3rd Party's at the moment and I am a Sony fan
Everyone knows this, I don't hide it and I don't sugar coat it either.
If Sony is doing shit whether it effects me or not I will call them out on it and I will give credit to other platforms when it's due, even if they don't interest me.

nial

Gold Member
major? no?
But titles to entice people to buy a PS5 and excite the Userbase...yes
That should be the goal of every first party title.
And their efforts do not reflect that? Plenty of people are/were excited for Astro Bot and Stellar Blade.
Really they seem to have lost of lot them during the PS3 erae
Huh? Insomniac, From Software, Media Molecule and Sucker Punch before they got acquired, etc.
It's just a reference, PS4 was the same
And PS5 is too.

Kokoloko85

Most of GAF doesn't even care about Media Molecule, and Bluepoint is just a support studio.
Bluepoint is more than just a support studio, they make games. They created SOTC remake and Demons Souls by around 2 years. They could of easily had another game ready by now.
Whether they care or not, I expected a game from them after 4 years. Or at least see what will come within 6 years of there last release

Kokoloko85

Insomniac and Suckerpunch had already released alot of Playstation titles by then, so thats why people get confused and think of them as 1st party studios.
Not saying its correct but theres alot more associated with those studios then a new studio making a game for you. Demons Souls is also a Japan studios game too.

They also released Uncharted 1-3, TLOU, Killzone 1-2, Gow 3, with alot of smaller titles.

Bluepoint is more than just a support studio, they make games. They created SOTC remake and Demons Souls by around 2 years. They could of easily had another game ready by now.
Whether they care or not, I expected a game from them after 4 years. Or at least see what will come within 6 years of there last release

I think we have to be careful about expecting linear results from studios.

They're a support studio in the sense that they generally don't make new games. They build from existing material. Sony clearly defines a remake like a port as a support situation.

They could be making multiple remakes or other content, which would explain why it could be taking longer for them to produce. They're not very large. They did say they were working on "original content" whatever that ends up meaning.

Nihilum

This is that Square Enix meme where no matter how many products are sold it's never enough, and they always lose money, and somehow Jim Ryan returned.

TGO

And their efforts do not reflect that? Plenty of people are/were excited for Astro Bot and Stellar Blade.
You already know that I see Astro Bot as the only true Playstation Studio title there
So why bother
Huh? Insomniac, From Software, Media Molecule and Sucker Punch before they got acquired, etc.
I'm talking Exclusive 3rd Party titles which Sony has more of now then they did during that era.
You're getting my comment mixed up.

From Software was in collaboration with Japan Studios they are still a 3rd Party Studio that makes games on other platforms
And both of Media Molecule, Sucker Punch & Insomniac worked exclusively with Playstation during that time, it's were the term 2nd party came from.
And PS5 is too.
It's really not

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarök
Returnal
Gran Turismo 7
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Demon Souls.

Those are your first party for PS5 titles.
you can throw in TLOUPT1 if you must.
And VR titles let's not forget them although Sony seems to have.
Most of them release in the first or 2nd year with the exception of SM2
and went into production in 2017/18
We are halfway through the PS5's 4 year and that is the problem.
You can throw up the Collabs, 3rd party titles exclusives and ports, remasters all you want but that their output on PS5 since it's release.
And they was greenlit before the entirety of Jim Ryan's raign, and that's not a dig at Jim Ryan.
Just an example and the problem.
I mean if you okay with that that's fine.
I'm just saying they hit a wall somewhere and as time goes on maybe we should be a little, just a little concerned.
Not panicking, just eyebrow raising.
You get me?

mckmas8808

So you are going to act as if Helldivers 2 didn't sell 12 million copies in 12 weeks? What are we doing man?!

nial

Gold Member
They're a support studio, confirmed by SIE itself. SOTC and DS remakes were mainly developed by Japan Studio Product/Internal Development Department.
Insomniac and Suckerpunch had already released alot of Playstation titles by then, so thats why people get confused and think of them as 1st party studios.
Not saying its correct but theres alot more associated with those studios then a new studio making a game for you. Demons Souls is also a Japan studios game too.
In the same way ROTR and SB are XDEV games.
You already know that I see Astro Bot as the only true Playstation Studio title there
So why bother
Hmm, what you see does not change anything...
I'm talking Exclusive 3rd Party titles which Sony has more of now then they did during that era.
You're getting my comment mixed up.

From Software was in collaboration with Japan Studios
What is literally the difference with Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade?
I'm just saying they hit a wall somewhere and as time goes on maybe we should be a little, just a little concerned.
Not panicking, just eyebrow raising.
You get me?
You will not be if you're aware of how Sony has always operated, and the fact that you can't live with only in-house output.

Top Bottom