• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony president wants to improve margins on their multi-platform releases (Updated w/ analysis)

TrebleShot

Gold Member
They do affect console sales. But not only that, they will lose control and profit over sales and services. And no, this is not fantasy.
If they continue relasing console exclusives on PC many people will inevitably migrate to it. Because not everyone has the need to go where their friends are or have his library on the same device, account, etc. No everyone has problems with game install and configuration on PC. And they are going to have PS, Xbox games and many other PC exclusives on one system.

Sure, the PC is more complex and more expensive at first, but you don't have to pay for online services or limit yourself to what Sony and its developers offer you. And, of course, you can do much more than play.

We are going to let time pass to see how Ps5 sales are going to be lower than those of Ps4, and how PS Plus subscriptions stagnate and decrease to exchange them for a few million more sales on PC from which they do not obtain the same percentage of profit and criticism.
I disagree, there are millions upon millions of people who play their games on consoles and have Macbooks or laptops for work.

Spending 1.5k on a PC to play the same games in slightly higher res and refresh rates isnt even on the radar of most Playstation users.

Most people with consoles have them hooked up to their TV for couch play and of course its more than ppossible on PC but most of the general PS user base couldnt give a shit, they have it on PS5 and they are happy spending sub 500 on a box to play games.

If you bring those same games to PC day and date, it would have little to no impact on those people.

Mr Moose

Do you have eyes? You don’t even need to add any variables. The list is pathetic as it is. It all fit on one screenshot on my iPhone 6.

The obvious point you somehow missed was the variables make it *EVEN* worse. Not just bad after adding them
PS5 only. Coming to or released already on PC. Games that aren't AAA. Remove Demon's Souls too because fuck it why not. Yes, very easy to make a list of games smaller than it actually is.

Topher

Gold Member
But without market share Sony won't be making much money either. The big exclusives isn't what they make the most money from, it's services (PS+) and the cut they get from all games sold in their ecosystem. The exclusives are what brings people into that ecosystem. If they no longer have a compelling reason for people to be there, what are they gonna make money from? Just their own games (which are few and far between these days)? I foresee their total revenue going down in that scenario, not up.

MS is different, because they now own half the game publishing market, including a lot of high-revenue live service games.

The compelling reason for buying a console remains its cheap price. Folks are not going to spend $1000+ dollars on a PC just because PC now has games that their $500 console has. So those console exclusives are still going to be the draw to the most cost effective way to play those games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The compelling reason for buying a console remains its cheap price. Folks are not going to spend $1000+ dollars on a PC just because PC now has games that their $500 console has. So those console exclusives are still going to be the draw to the most cost effective way to play those games.

What console exclusives? I thought this thread was about Sony going multi-platform with everything.

PS5 only. Coming to or released already on PC. Games that aren't AAA. Remove Demon's Souls too because fuck it why not. Yes, very easy to make a list of games smaller than it actually is.
Dude…? You gotta be kidding me with this? The list obviously isn’t a trimmed down version of All games ever released for PS5.

The list, as I believe I stated in like the very first line of my post, was PS5 only games. That’s the base we started from. Then you can add filters that reduce this already pathetic list even more

Mr Moose

Dude…? You gotta be kidding me with this? The list obviously isn’t a trimmed down version of All games ever released for PS5.

The list, as I believe I stated in like the very first line of my post, was PS5 only games. That’s the base we started from. Then you can add filters that reduce this already pathetic list even more
And as I said my original reply "Damn, no wonder Xbox is fucked." They have zero games. Negative even, they released some on PC that aren't on Xbox, right?

NickFire

Really couldn't care less if they want to sell games on other platforms. I play console because I want simplicity, and I buy games because I want to play them. I've never bought a game because someone else couldn't play it.

Fredrik

Everyone going multiplatform except for Nintendo.
Yeah, and the result;
I’m currently planning to completely remove Xbox Series X and I’m building a living room PC and will phase out PS5 as well.
But I’m going in day 1 on Switch 2.

Is multiplat a good idea? Not sure. Great software sales, not so great hardware sales. But I guess they don’t earn much money from hardware anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Phil Spencer, Mike Ybarra, and Matty Booty circle jerking each other thought experiment emails rn
Just looking back at how that group reacted to the PS5 specs I just wonder if that had any bearing on them thinking they did not need a Series X Pro type of console with even Phil saying the current Series X was their Pro

I know specs are locked in pretty early with tweaks and know they got the PS5 Pro specs quite early and they looked at those and thought something like "there is not a big bump, our Series X will be fine competing with it"

I also know something caused them to sort of scramble to push a Zen 5 nextbox out the door quite earlier than originally planned

These are just random thoughts btw

leizzra

I don't think this move will make the situation better for long. I think that they are looking the ways to improve in wrong places. In my opinion they should think about reducing the cost of some of their games (make them smaller with less content), make more AA games and maybe ask more money for the most expensive ones. I think that PC and even Xbox won't give them as much as they need in the long run.

And as I said my original reply "Damn, no wonder Xbox is fucked." They have zero games. Negative even, they released some on PC that aren't on Xbox, right?
Um I don’t know if you’ve checked up on Xbox lately but yes they also have no exclusives, like actually literally no exclusives not just a tiny amount like PS5, and the state of affairs is absolutely dismal

Mr Moose

Ok, so what they're already doing? Except PC day one, or what? That's not really "multiplatform" in my eyes. I mean, technically it is, but when I hear that I think "everything everywhere".
Everything_Everywhere_All_at_Once.jpg

Um I don’t know if you’ve checked up on Xbox lately but yes they also have no exclusives, like actually literally no exclusives not just a tiny amount like PS5, and the state of affairs is absolutely dismal
Yeah but that's what I am saying, I was just being cheeky, they are still making the games even if they do come to other platforms like PC. The games still exist.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What console exclusives? I thought this thread was about Sony going multi-platform with everything.

I'm just talking about PS games on PC. We are all making a lot of assumptions here really. My thinking is this Sony exec is saying more PS games on PC whether that means more from the back catalog or new games day one. Hard to say.

I don't believe this is about PS games being on Xbox, if that is what you mean. Don't see the point of that at all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Tell me where in the OP it says anything different. I shouldn't have to click through to X to understand what the thread is about.
What Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping said. They have been calling their games going to PC their "multiplatform" endeavor. They have no need to port to Xbox, the third place console where nobody buys software in a compelling way anymore.

They want to improve their PC endeavor and maybe small games on the Switch if they work a trade-off deal with Nintendo. But more than likely, for now, by this interim CEO, they will probably shorten the time span of the PC delays, or do day and date. Or, maybe go the volume approach and launch games at a lower cost on Steam.

Maybe even expand it to more PC storefronts at the same time as well.

Lot of buzz over this earnings call on all the big gaming forums (and beyond like Twitter and Reddit)

I’m no industry expert. Just a young guy with a bachelors in business. And I don’t know the state of the market as I’m completely out of touch with what the kids are playing this days. Like 22 and down. But to me?

It seems like they could maybe dig themselves out of this profit hole by starting to train both the hardcore and the causals to get accustomed to shorter games again. I’ll be on YouTube and see on my recommend these channels posting full playthroughs of games I loved as a kid, I’ll see “Killzone 2 full playthrough! Infamous second son! Batman Arkham Origins! Halo Reach! Uncharted 3!” Stuff like that. And it’ll be like just 4-7 hours.

I know times have changed but it kind of feels like the infamous Mike meme from breaking bad as he laments how good they had it until Walter got greedy and fucked it up basically. That’s like how I feel with this industry. Like “WE HAD IT ALL! WE HAD COMMERCIALLY VIABLE AAA SP GAMES! WE HAD THE MP MODE MOST PEOPLE WOULD PLAY AND YOU PROFIT OFF THE INGAME STORE! IT WAS PERFECT, BUT NO! YOU JUST HAD TO BLOW IT UP”

I feel like going back to those more compact games could be good as it would bring budgets waaaay the fuck down and also allow devs to push much more handcrafted content and graphical fidelity. Imagine an Arkham city sized game for PS5. Shit could look like a CGI movie. This is also very marketable to casuals as movie like visuals during a Super Bowl spot or a basketball game tv spot looks very alluring to them I’m sure.

Last edited:

schaft0620

Here is the problem at Sony and video games in general

2006: PS3 Launch

2007: Uncharted
2009: Uncharted 2
2011: Uncharted 3
2013: TLOU
2013 PS4 Launch:
2016: Uncharted 4

TLOU2 really should have come out in 2019 and it went downhill from there, now you are looking at their next game being like 8 years after TLOU2. HUGE Miss.

2020: Ghost of Tsushima
2027 ? : Ghost of Tsushima 2

They should have released the second game by now, they won't release the second game until they should be releasing the 3rd game. Games are taking too long to make they have to manage scope, scale and find ways to simplify the process.

If I were in charge of Sony, I would have a team of veterans dedicated to finding roadblocks and the things that drive development time. Then I would have another team dedicated to finding solutions for those problems.

ReBurn

Gold Member
but this is Sony we are talking about, not Microsoft. The playstation business is huge for Sony.
I think some people are tired of platform holders using what is essentially extortion to get people to buy into their ecosystem. As the PC segment grows I'm betting more folks are going to decide to just not buy an Xbox or PlayStation and forego the coveted in-house exclusives. Now that Sony has started porting older games to PC the FOMO element is reduced and everyone believes that sooner or later all of the single player games will make it there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think some people are tired of platform holders using what is essentially extortion to get people to buy into their ecosystem. As the PC segment grows I'm betting more folks are going to decide to just not buy an Xbox or PlayStation and forego the coveted in-house exclusives. Now that Sony has started porting older games to PC the FOMO element is reduced and everyone believes that sooner or later all of the single player games will make it there.
PC had hardware extortion. Let's not get it twisted.

"The more you buy, the more you save" energy

I blame 3 things.

1. People demanding 30+ hour, long ass games. Laughing and criticizing games that are less than 8 hours. No matter the quality.

2. Little fucking kids ruining gaming with their love of GAAS trash. Leading companies to lean further into the fortnite model.

3. MS training people to literally think buying games you like is BAD.

We are absolutely fucked.
4. the decades long expectation that every generation brings some kind of paradigm shift in visual fidelity/representation, when there is a very obvious 'diminishing returns' in effect.

Jinzo Prime

That gaming PC I bought is starting to look like a better and better choice. If only it didn't come with Windows.

Windows is the worst thing about PC gaming. It's crazy that these other big companies won't release a competitor, or at least get together to make Linux and BSD not suck ass.

Valve is the only one putting in work on that front, and look at how it has paid off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Maybe even expand it to more PC storefronts at the same time as well.

Sony has been doing Steam first, maybe Epic, and after some time has passed they do a GoG release. GoG is probably last because of their drm free policy.
Like God of War is just now coming to GoG to give you an idea.

Ogbert

I would place a good deal of money on Xbox and Sony both working to create a GaaS that will appear on both consoles.

They want Fortnite. Another CoD. Their own Apex Legends.

MS already have it with CoD, but they had to remortgage the moon to foot the bill.

IMO the problem here, is that for new console launches, hardcore & core enthusiasts don't care about the price. The exclusives ARE a big reason why they buy new hardware, and if those games are on PC Day 1 (or are guaranteed to arrive there in a very short amount of time), they have no reason to buy the new console when they can just invest in getting the PC.

The people you're talking about are mainly more mainstream & casual types, but we know they don't buy hardware at launch or even really in the first couple of years. They come into the picture later. They're the more price-conscious/price-sensitive ones where the cheaper cost of a console is a big draw even if the games aren't exclusive.

Thing is, it's the hardcore & core who are the early adopters, and they also set the sales pace for hardware, influencing what mainstream & casual customers end up buying. If Sony decides to go Day 1 on PC with many of their GaaS and non-GaaS games, they will effectively kill early adopter demand for new PlayStation consoles, meaning they'll end up suppressing total install base growth because low early adopter sales = lower mass market sales. That doesn't even get into the revenue declines the brand could see, convincing more and more hardcore & core gamers to just buy the games on PC.

Because at that point, they're going to be doing all of their 3P purchases, MTX/add-on content purchases etc. there too and likely buy less PlayStation-branded peripherals as well. That wouldn't be a small impact, even if hardcore & core enthusiasts don't make up the majority of gamers or customers to a platform.

Console exclusives as in not on xbox or switch

At this point anything could be on the table, honestly. I don't like entertaining that idea but these ambiguous comments from Sony leave a lot of possibilities open.

Last edited:

hinch7

This is so funny seeing how everyone bashed Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not really the same. They (Sony) aren't going out their way to release on competitors platform, just yet. Which is where the warriors from both angles came out to play.

They're probably looking at ROI on upcoming live service games that need a strong player base to get going, and keep people engaged on them. So releasing Bungie next games plus some of theirs on as many platforms possible makes sense from a financial POV. That and double down on PC releases, with faster turnarounds. Plus rein in on spiralling AAA development.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going by the statement, it’s logical Sony will push more first party games day one or a lot closer than usual for PC.

They already just did Helldivers 2 and it’s been a big success. Literally like 50x bigger than Helldivers 1 being ported and it barely found 5000 Steam gamers at any given time.

For every PS gamer actually going PC is small. And everyone knows it. You’ll get way more incremental sales opening it up on PC early as opposed to the laughable Trojan Horse theory saying if you delay games on PC it’ll make them all but a PS5. If that’s true Helldivers 2 would come out a year from now where all the PC gamers begging to play would buy a PS5 and Sony will maximize revenue as they are now in the PS ecosystem instead of a Steam sale.

Apple found that out 20 years ago when then opened up the Macs and IPods and iTunes to PC users. There’s only so much growth you can get be walled off for decades, hence Sony doing PC ports and even MLB The Show on Xbox and switch. It’s just that a company like Apple did it decades ago. For every hardcore pissed off Apple fan lost to PC, they probably gained 1000 users using Apple stuff. They expanded their pie slice a million times over.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Going by the statement, it’s logical Sony will push more first party games day one or a lot closer than usual for PC.

They already just did Helldivers 2 and it’s been a big success. Literally like 50x bigger than Helldivers 1 being ported and it barely found 5000 Steam gamers at any given time.

For every PS gamer actually going PC is small. And everyone knows it. You’ll get way more incremental sales opening it up on PC early as opposed to the laughable Trojan Horse telheoeybpeoplenhad saying if you delay games on PC it’ll make them all but a PS5. If that’s true Helldivers 2 would come out a year from now where all the PC gamers begging to play would buy a PS5 and Sony will maximize revenue as they are now in the PS ecosystem instead of a Steam sale.
Me, Googling wtf telheoeybpeoplenhad is.
9f2.png

Must be Welsh.

Not really the same. They (Sony) aren't going out their way to release on competitors platform, just yet. Which is where the warriors from both angles came out to play.

They're probably looking at ROI on upcoming live service games that need a strong player base to get going, and keep people engaged on them. And releasing Bungie next games plus some of theirs will do that. That and double down on PC releases. Plus rein in on spiralling AAA development.

Steam is already a competing platform with PlayStation. It's one of the last things Jim Ryan said before announcing his retirement.

So at that point, if they get more aggressive with 1P games to Steam, why not do the same for Nintendo's hardware, or even Xbox? What is really the difference anymore, at that point?

This is why the PC strategy was always a slippery slope to me when it came to PlayStation, because like with Xbox, it starts small. Then before you know it, everything's Day and Date.

And as tomorrow might end up showing, that can eventually mean 'Day and Date' on all gaming devices. PC, consoles, mobile you name it.

That said, I hope their plans of action are in line with what you're saying they likely should be. That would be the preferred outcome. Make most of the GaaS multiplatform (and not just PC; some should be on mobile as well) Day 1 offerings (but try including perks for PS+ members). Get the costs of the AAA games down. Get back to making some 1P AA games. Don't devalue the 1P AAA games too quickly by rushing them into PS+ (like they did with HFW) or to PC.

Also, anytime a PC port does come along, make sure console is getting something new to balance it out.

For every PS gamer actually going PC is small. And everyone knows it. You’ll get way more incremental sales opening it up on PC early as opposed to the laughable Trojan Horse theory saying if you delay games on PC it’ll make them all but a PS5. If that’s true Helldivers 2 would come out a year from now where all the PC gamers begging to play would buy a PS5 and Sony will maximize revenue as they are now in the PS ecosystem instead of a Steam sale.

Apple found that out 20 years ago when then opened up the Macs and IPods and iTunes to PC users. There’s only so much growth you can get be walled off for decades, hence Sony doing PC ports and even MLB The Show on Xbox and switch. It’s just that a company like Apple did it decades ago. For every hardcore pissed off Apple fan lost to PC, they probably gained 1000 users using Apple stuff. They expanded their pie slice a million times over.

Every PS customer who migrates to PC is probably also a high ARPU customer, though. Let's look at it like attach rates: the typical PS customer who decides to still buy the console, has an attach rate of between 1:1 to 5:1. The ones who probably decide to go to PC, likely have attach rates of between 15:1 to 20:1.

If I'm a business, I'd be a lot more upset losing that 20:1 customer than four 5:1 customers, because per-customer I get a lot more return on my investment from the 20:1 person than any of the 5:1 ones.

Last edited:

Fabieter

But without market share Sony won't be making much money either. The big exclusives isn't what they make the most money from, it's services (PS+) and the cut they get from all games sold in their ecosystem. The exclusives are what brings people into that ecosystem. If they no longer have a compelling reason for people to be there, what are they gonna make money from? Just their own games (which are few and far between these days)? I foresee their total revenue going down in that scenario, not up.

MS is different, because they now own half the game publishing market, including a lot of high-revenue live service games.

If the answer in Sony's case is also "GaaS", count me the hell out.

You can clearly see that the start of the ps5 gen was basically done by the old ps4 crew and they have repeatedly showed that they have no idea why they are so fucking big in the first place.

IDWhite

I disagree, there are millions upon millions of people who play their games on consoles and have Macbooks or laptops for work.

Spending 1.5k on a PC to play the same games in slightly higher res and refresh rates isnt even on the radar of most Playstation users.

Most people with consoles have them hooked up to their TV for couch play and of course its more than ppossible on PC but most of the general PS user base couldnt give a shit, they have it on PS5 and they are happy spending sub 500 on a box to play games.

If you bring those same games to PC day and date, it would have little to no impact on those people.

It affects console sales. It is no coincidence that Xbox console sales have fallen since we have day 1 launches on PC. By the way, I´m not saying that a lot of people are going to prefer a console over PC even with 1st party games launching day one on PC. What i´m saying is many people are gonna migrate to PC.

The change from consoles to PC is not only to play the same games in slighty higher res and refresh rates. As I said, on PC you are gonna have PS, Xbox games and PC exlusives. You don´t need to pay for online services. You have much more freedom on hardware a software configuration, mods, peripherals, and a platform that you can work on.

Time will tell.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Lot of buzz over this earnings call on all the big gaming forums (and beyond like Twitter and Reddit)

I’m no industry expert. Just a young guy with a bachelors in business. And I don’t know the state of the market as I’m completely out of touch with what the kids are playing this days. Like 22 and down. But to me?

It seems like they could maybe dig themselves out of this profit hole by starting to train both the hardcore and the causals to get accustomed to shorter games again. I’ll be on YouTube and see on my recommend these channels posting full playthroughs of games I loved as a kid, I’ll see “Killzone 2 full playthrough! Infamous second son! Batman Arkham Origins! Halo Reach! Uncharted 3!” Stuff like that. And it’ll be like just 4-7 hours.

I know times have changed but it kind of feels like the infamous Mike meme from breaking bad as he laments how good they had it until Walter got greedy and fucked it up basically. That’s like how I feel with this industry. Like “WE HAD IT ALL! WE HAD COMMERCIALLY VIABLE AAA SP GAMES! WE HAD THE MP MODE MOST PEOPLE WOULD PLAY AND YOU PROFIT OFF THE INGAME STORE! IT WAS PERFECT, BUT NO! YOU JUST HAD TO BLOW IT UP”

I feel like going back to those more compact games could be good as it would bring budgets waaaay the fuck down and also allow devs to push much more handcrafted content and graphical fidelity. Imagine an Arkham city sized game for PS5. Shit could look like a CGI movie. This is also very marketable to casuals as movie like visuals during a Super Bowl spot or a basketball game tv spot looks very alluring to them I’m sure.
chinese tuong lu kim GIF by South Park

One order of Akham Chitty:
Red Hood Robin GIF by WBGames

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Margins on consoles are negligible, sans Nintendo. They make money on software.
No,most money they make is having you in the ecosystem buying games off PSN and subscribing to PSplus to play online and unless they somehow bring PSN and its store to other consoles or even PC then they still need the consoles for profits even if they sell the console at a loss.

My response to Sony if they do intend to make their console obsolete with lack of exclusives following in the footsteps of Microsoft...
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Topher

Gold Member
IMO the problem here, is that for new console launches, hardcore & core enthusiasts don't care about the price. The exclusives ARE a big reason why they buy new hardware, and if those games are on PC Day 1 (or are guaranteed to arrive there in a very short amount of time), they have no reason to buy the new console when they can just invest in getting the PC.

The people you're talking about are mainly more mainstream & casual types, but we know they don't buy hardware at launch or even really in the first couple of years. They come into the picture later. They're the more price-conscious/price-sensitive ones where the cheaper cost of a console is a big draw even if the games aren't exclusive.

Thing is, it's the hardcore & core who are the early adopters, and they also set the sales pace for hardware, influencing what mainstream & casual customers end up buying. If Sony decides to go Day 1 on PC with many of their GaaS and non-GaaS games, they will effectively kill early adopter demand for new PlayStation consoles, meaning they'll end up suppressing total install base growth because low early adopter sales = lower mass market sales. That doesn't even get into the revenue declines the brand could see, convincing more and more hardcore & core gamers to just buy the games on PC.

Because at that point, they're going to be doing all of their 3P purchases, MTX/add-on content purchases etc. there too and likely buy less PlayStation-branded peripherals as well. That wouldn't be a small impact, even if hardcore & core enthusiasts don't make up the majority of gamers or customers to a platform.

The problem with all that is this idea that console and PC gamers are interchangeable. They are not. Day one PC games are not going to drive console diehards to buying/buildng $1000+ PCs as well as figuring out how to fit that PC into their living room and what to do with these keyboard/mouse thingies. That applies to casuals and hardcore alike. Consoles are still going to have that plug and play capability. That's the primary reason why people game on console. The exclusives are the reason gamers choose console X over console Y. PC isn't even in the equation for these people. Now for a small minority, yeah, they will swap over to PC and buy Sony games there. More than likely, those folks are people like me who already have a PC and won't need a PS anymore. Sony is fine with that, obviously. They are still getting game sales, but exposing those games to an entirely different market at the same time.

Fabieter

Steam is already a competing platform with PlayStation. It's one of the last things Jim Ryan said before announcing his retirement.

So at that point, if they get more aggressive with 1P games to Steam, why not do the same for Nintendo's hardware, or even Xbox? What is really the difference anymore, at that point?

This is why the PC strategy was always a slippery slope to me when it came to PlayStation, because like with Xbox, it starts small. Then before you know it, everything's Day and Date.

And as tomorrow might end up showing, that can eventually mean 'Day and Date' on all gaming devices. PC, consoles, mobile you name it.

That said, I hope their plans of action are in line with what you're saying they likely should be. That would be the preferred outcome. Make most of the GaaS multiplatform (and not just PC; some should be on mobile as well) Day 1 offerings (but try including perks for PS+ members). Get the costs of the AAA games down. Get back to making some 1P AA games. Don't devalue the 1P AAA games too quickly by rushing them into PS+ (like they did with HFW) or to PC.

Also, anytime a PC port does come along, make sure console is getting something new to balance it out.

Every PS customer who migrates to PC is probably also a high ARPU customer, though. Let's look at it like attach rates: the typical PS customer who decides to still buy the console, has an attach rate of between 1:1 to 5:1. The ones who probably decide to go to PC, likely have attach rates of between 15:1 to 20:1.

If I'm a business, I'd be a lot more upset losing that 20:1 customer than four 5:1 customers, because per-customer I get a lot more return on my investment from the 20:1 person than any of the 5:1 ones.

Ding ding ding their core gamers are most likely to switch since they are less likely to be bothered by the annoyance of the pc platform.

Top Bottom