• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony removed the interview with Neil Druckmann on AI and issued an apology

Draugoth

Gold Member
neil-druckmann-900x503.jpg.webp

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/creative-entertainment-vision/interview/2.html

In re-reviewing our recent interview with Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann, we have found several significant errors and inaccuracies that don't represent his perspective and values (including topics such as animation, writing, technology, AI, and future projects). We apologize to Neil for misrepresenting his words and for any negative impact this interview might have caused him and his team. In coordination with Naughty Dog and SIE, we have removed the interview.

Here's some context from GameDeveloper:

Last edited:
Neil must be powerful AF inside Sony it they're apologizing TO HIM for what HE SAID.

(I don't think there was anything remotely wrong with what he said)
Well he helped spawn their biggest hit streaming show yet and runs their flagship studio.

I'm sure that him and Sony's RnD have a tight dialogue. After all, most of the other Sony first party games have literally copied most elements of ND's games at least since Uncharted 2. So it's no surprise.

Kuranghi

This is pure brilliance for gettin perspective, I can't actually think of something I care less about that this, whether he said it, whether its true or any of it.

I was outside a cafe an hour ago and I saw a dog sticking its head out of a driver's side window as the car passed by, I'm more concerned with whether the dog was driving the car or not. I think its very unlikely the dog was driving the care if I'm being honest, but I'm not invested in finding out than anything to do with what ND may or may not have said.

Here's a much much more interesting, if a little dated, controversy:

The video is very recent at the very least. Praise to the gravel-voiced big man, Ahoy 🙏

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Well he helped spawn their biggest hit streaming show yet and runs their flagship studio.

I'm sure that him and Sony's RnD have a tight dialogue. After all, most of the other Sony first party games have literally copied most elements of ND's games at least since Uncharted 2. So it's no surprise.

Yeah, totally, but it's still a stark demonstration. And pretty cool to think ND will get whatever it needs from Sony.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
"redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming," is the kind of boast Peter Moore would make. Whomever tried to summarize what Druckmann was trying to say did a poor job of it.
That's literally what he said though. Most of his talk was about changing the perceptions of gaming for the mainstream (non-gamers).

Punished Miku

But people (including you) took it as his next game was to do that
I'm sure what you imagined I said was really offensive.

Are you mad at me for reading the title of the previous article from Sony correctly? That's literally what it said. My post added "non-gamers" to clarify what mainstream meant. You're once again picking a fight with me over nothing. Nothing in my posts was offensive or worthy of arguing over.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That's literally what he said though. Most of his talk was about changing the perceptions of gaming for the mainstream (non-gamers).
That is not literally what he said. Here's what he said:
"Well, I've been very lucky, in that I've already had that," Druckmann said. "I got the chance to make several of my dream projects. I am working on a new one right now. And it's maybe the most excited I've been for a project yet. I can't talk about it or our bosses will get very made at me. And I guess in general, there is something happening now that I think is very cool. Which is there's a new appreciation for gaming that I've never seen before.

"Like when I was growing up, gaming was more of a kid's thing. Now it's clearly for everyone. But it's like, if you're a gamer, you know about the potential of games, and non-gamers, they don't really know what they're missing out on. But my hope was, when we made The Last of Us as a TV show that we could change that. And why I became so involved with it. I wanted so badly for it to be good, because I wanted this to happen, which is like someone who will watch the show and really like it. And fall in love with those characters the way that we have fallen in love with those characters and their story. And then realize at the end, 'wait, that's based on a video game?' and then go and check out the game and just see the wealth of narratives and everything that's happening in game.

"So now I feel like there's kind of a spotlight on gaming. And you know, Fallout just came out. And that's a big success for Amazon. And I find that really exciting. Not because games need to be movies, or they need to be TV shows, but I think it just kind of opens the eyes of a bunch of people that just weren't aware of the kind of experiences that exist in games.

"I think right now we've hit a tipping point where it's about to take off where people realize, 'Oh my God, there's all these incredible moving experiences in games!' So, I'm not only excited for this game that we're making -- and it's, it's something really fresh for us -- but I'm also excited to see how the world reacts to it. Because of The Last of Us, and the success of the show, people even outside of gaming are looking at us to see what it is that we put out next. I'm very excited to see what the reaction for this thing will be -- and I've already said too much about it. I'll stop there. So, you're asking me for my dream projects. I've been very lucky to have worked on my favorite games with incredible collaborators and I'm very thankful for them."

Show me where in that full quote where he says that his next game is going to "redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming". I don't see it. I see him talking about how wider audiences are now seeing what games can offer narratively, and that he's excited to see what the reaction will be to ND's next game. Like I said, the person who tried to summarize did a poor job.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

That is not literally what he said. Here's what he said:

Show me where in that full quote where he says that his next game is going to "redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming". I don't see it. I see him talking about how wider audiences are now seeing what games can offer narratively, and that he's excited to see what the reaction will be to ND's next game. Like I said, the person who tried to summarize, did a poor job.
The whole last paragraph can be summarized that way. I think you guys just don't know what redefine means. It means non-gamers have a perception about games, and now there's a window to change that with his show and now his next game, and he specifically talks about non-gamers now looking at him after the show. It's an entirely accurate summary. Sure it may not be a word for word direct quote, but I don't particularly find anything he said worthy of this much hand wringing. The words have the same meaning.

I'm sure what you imagined I said was really offensive.

He's literally saying he wants to change the perception of non-gamers.

• Transcends all age groups (young and middle-aged is current gaming audience, so this includes older adults now)
  • mentions the TV show again
  • redefine mainstream perceptions (non-gamer perceptions) of gaming
  • broader potential (blue ocean)
Could be a much more story based project with less "gamey" combat intended for gamers and non-gamers. Definitely a new IP.

Yeah, looks like you did. Otherwise you wouldn't have bullet pointed it

Yo if Neil can get Sony to bend to his will can ya boy get some better PS1 games on selection ASAP? Maybe throw Ico on the PS2 Classics as well.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
wtf? Nothing was controversial or misconstrued about what he said…?
At least 1 answer was poorly edited and had words added that he didn't actually say. He shared the actual answer on twitter. I'm guessing if 1 out of 6 was botched to that extent, the other 5 were as well.

Naughty Dog and SIE were probably not entirely happy with it, which is why it's gone.

You're right though. Nothing was controversial in the edited version they put out, but that's what happens when people already hate Neil, and 2 other developers with apparently shitty reading comprehension skills get on twitter to criticize it as well.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The whole last paragraph can be summarized that way. I think you guys just don't know what redefine means. It means non-gamers have a perception about games, and now there's a window to change that with his show and now his next game, and he specifically talks about non-gamers now looking at him after the show. It's an entirely accurate summary. Sure it may not be a word for word direct quote, but I don't particularly find anything he said worthy of this much hand wringing. The words have the same meaning.
I disagree. I think he meant it that people at large are now aware of how deep some games can be narratively and thanks to TV adaptations like Fallout and Last of Us, there is much more interest in what ND next game and potentially other games are going to do next. And he's excited for what those reactions will be. Not that their next game is going to redefine the perceptions. The redefining already happened with the TV adaptations.

Top Bottom