• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony set to buy Square Enix

Camreezie

It would be a good move to counter Nintendo in Japan. I'd be interested in the following:
Final Fantasy
Tomb Raider
Nier
Avengers

What else worthwhile would Sony be getting?

Papacheeks

Banned
Been thinking about this all weekend. What if Sony just wants specific properties? And wants a long-term exclusivity deal for said properties?

Meaning something like FF stays on playstation with pc release coming later after certain milestone/timeframe are met?

Because honestly Deus ex doesn't sell anymore, tomb raider is being rebooted again. And smaller games like neir, kingdom series don't sell as well or have legs like FF brand. Seems that when looking at how well FF has sold multiplatform to exclusive, barring 13 and 15 which I hear 15 moved more units when including ps4pro bundles on playstation. You have evidence that the series performs better overall on Sony platform.
Would not put it past them if future Ff continue to be exclusive.

Big indicator going to be how FF7R gets re-released. If we don't see series x version then I think we have our answer. Exclusivity deal is up in April.

Kev Kev

Whatever happens, I really hope there is some kind of a shake up at square one of these days. I’d love to see FF in the hands of some new/different talent.

Caio

I would prefer some good deal with time exclusivety, more games developed with PS5 in mind and/or extra contents,
I'm not a big fan of this "buying" left and right, but this is just me. Trying to monopolize something is never a good thing for gamers in general.

This doesn't have any credibility behind it, which is why I'm remiss it even got an article.

It reminds me of pre-PS5 with Roberto Serrano, who ended up with so much publicity for "information" that ended up wrong.

On the actual idea, it wouldn't be a huge surprise in the end. Sony and Square have been close-knit ever since they yoinked FFVII back in the olden days. The PS1/PS2(especially the former) was king of SE RPGs in what was arguably their "Golden Age."

Because of that, almost everything they ever release sells predominantly on PlayStation and usually is stated as exclusive or isn't and just..remains so.

They are almost synonymous with each other these days. FFVII-R and FFXIV have yet to be on an Xbox console, the latter has been rumored and clamored for years now.

Securing the Final Fantasy series is probably a big reason Sony is where they are today, so them doing this isn't out of the realm of possibility, but again this information is not credible.

As a "devil's advocate", though, we *do* know from legitimate sources that Sony has been writing big checks for PS5. We've seen some of that in Avengers DLC, CoD, FFXVI exclusivity, and more. So did they throw enough to secure a company like this? I'll wait and see.

Bluepoint is a fucking given, though. We all know that just waiting for the announcement.

It would be a good move to counter Nintendo in Japan. I'd be interested in the following:
Final Fantasy
Tomb Raider
Nier
Avengers

What else worthwhile would Sony be getting?
You missed possibly the biggest one - Dragon Quest.

Then there's Deus Ex, Tokyo RPG Factory, etc.

There's also several Nintendo-only franchises (another indication this is BS), such as Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

So this is basically the wet dream of a fanboy. Why are people still discussing this lol
Lol you’re right about that. But to try and genuinely answer your question as to why people are discussing it...

the topic is thriving bc so many of us want something like this to happen. like I said earlier itt, I’d love to see some kind of shake up at square enix, with the hope that they would start putting out better final fantasy’s. FFX was the last really good one, that also didn’t feel incomplete (I actually loved XV but it was horribly incomplete and the story was a train wreck).

I had a lot of issues with vii remake, sadly, so although it was a solid output by them in a lot of ways, it still leaves me with no hope that they will return to the developer they used to be. So potential news like this is really exciting

But like you said, this isn’t news at all... But man would I love to see some changes made over at square!

Lol you’re right about that. But to try and genuinely answer your question as to why people are discussing it...

the topic is thriving bc so many of us want something like this to happen. like I said earlier itt, I’d love to see some kind of shake up at square enix, with the hope that they would start putting out better final fantasy’s. FFX was the last really good one, that also didn’t feel incomplete (I actually loved XV but it was horribly incomplete and the story was a train wreck).

I had a lot of issues with vii remake, sadly, so although it was a solid output by them in a lot of ways, it still leaves me with no hope that they will return to the developer they used to be. So potential news like this is really exciting

But like you said, this isn’t news at all... But man would I love to see some changes made over at square!

Honestly we don't even need to look at fanboys like TechNoir

We're in an era of consolodation with the likes of Microsoft, Embracer Group, Amazon and Google among other big pubs like EA and TakeTwo, with no signs of slowing down.

To think that Sony is just looking at "organic growth" and picking up developers they've been working with like BluePoint or HouseMarque, when they have these looming threats is just foolish. I garuntee (regardless of whether they go ahead or not) that they're looking at the likes of Capcom or Square Enix and weighing their options.

Last edited:

Camreezie

I mean the other angle to this if it was actually legitimate is Sony would have good RPG studios for some of their properties

I don't think Sony will purchase Square Enix. If we look at this strategically - why would Square Enix would want to be bought by Sony?
On a long enough timeline - if Playstation becomes bigger than just a console then it might happen, but for now - I don't think so.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why would Sony buy SE when they already treat Xbox like a red-headed step child and only release sloppy seconds on the console as it is. SE is for all intents and purposes already Sony exclusive.

Still sticking with SE being way too pricey for Sony though.

Last edited:
Why would Sony buy SE when they already treat Xbox like a red-headed step child and only release sloppy seconds on the console as it is. SE is for all intents and purposes already Sony exclusive.

Because conducting business under the assumption that the status quo will remain is arrogance

And no they're not too pricey

Last edited:

yazenov

Its an Investment. Every game from SE will be 100% profit rather than the current 30% profit.

And exclusives sell consoles. Imagine Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Rider, Nier , ect .... Only on PS5.

And lastly, Sony is wise to secure SE before other companies such as Tencent snaps them up.

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
It would be a shitty move and it would solve absolutely nothing. It would just cause the current fan base of each S-E IP on Switch to start hating Sony. Wonderful PR.
Like the shitty move Nintendo made with Monster Hunter 3DS ? Which made the MH fanbase on PSP to start hating Nintendo ? Wonderful PR

Whatever happens, I really hope there is some kind of a shake up at square one of these days. I’d love to see FF in the hands of some new/different talent.
Personally, Between XIV, how XVI looks, I think FF is in the good hands right now. What they need to do is give that division at SE sole reigns on the FF IP. They're the truly talented studio that has it. The MMO is the best FF game since the older ones. They've done well with the remake too despite it having flaws. I don't think Nomura is a good dev. Yoshi on the other hand, bleeds FF more than anyone at that company. He should be the director moving forward. Sad he's not doing 16 but just in a producer role.

Varteras

Gold Member
Square Enix's market cap is currently $8.18 billion. Sony's is $141.13 billion. Their cash-on-hand was 31 billion from 2020. Sony could easily afford SE if serious talks started happening. I've thought for a long time now that a powerful move by Sony would be to acquire SE. They would lock down some valuable franchises and find themselves with a handful of additional studios. A move that would re-establish them as a juggernaut in Japan compared to their clearly Western leaning moves.

Though unfortunately this would likely lead to Nintendo and Microsoft being left out. A bigger bitter spill to swallow for Nintendo fans who have been enjoying SE's games as of late. For Xbox gamers, it probably wouldn't be that jarring as it is. SE's Japanese games either never make it to Xbox or when they do it's several years later at least. Even now FF14 still has no Xbox version despite 7 years of being told there are talks. The FF7 remake has no official word on an Xbox version with rumors claiming the next announcement is for PS5 and PC. Project Athia is console exclusive to PS5 until at least 2024 with a PC version releasing simultaneously. FF16 is a timed console exclusive to PS5 with the PC version being redacted, meaning that PS5 will be the only platform with the game for at least a year and even then we have no clue if or when to expect an Xbox version.

As far as the Western games, other platforms would miss out on Deus Ex, Thief, and Tomb Raider. Which I suspect wouldn't impact them THAT much. Especially not Nintendo.

That being said, the source of this article is a clearly rabid fanboy. I wouldn't take seriously anything this person has to say unless we start seeing their claims come to fruition.

Square Enix's market cap is currently $8.18 billion. Sony's is $141.13 billion. Their cash-on-hand was 31 billion from 2020. Sony could easily afford SE if serious talks started happening. I've thought for a long time now that a powerful move by Sony would be to acquire SE. They would lock down some valuable franchises and find themselves with a handful of additional studios. A move that would re-establish them as a juggernaut in Japan compared to their clearly Western leaning moves.

Though unfortunately this would likely lead to Nintendo and Microsoft being left out. A bigger bitter spill to swallow for Nintendo fans who have been enjoying SE's games as of late. For Xbox gamers, it probably wouldn't be that jarring as it is. SE's Japanese games either never make it to Xbox or when they do it's several years later at least. Even now FF14 still has no Xbox version despite 7 years of being told there are talks. The FF7 remake has no official word on an Xbox version with rumors claiming the next announcement is for PS5 and PC. Project Athia is console exclusive to PS5 until at least 2024 with a PC version releasing simultaneously. FF16 is a timed console exclusive to PS5 with the PC version being redacted, meaning that PS5 will be the only platform with the game for at least a year and even then we have no clue if or when to expect an Xbox version.

As far as the Western games, other platforms would miss out on Deus Ex, Thief, and Tomb Raider. Which I suspect wouldn't impact them THAT much. Especially not Nintendo.

That being said, the source of this article is a clearly rabid fanboy. I wouldn't take seriously anything this person has to say unless we start seeing their claims come to fruition.

That cash on hand is over 50% of short term investments in Sony Financial Services and is restricted from being transferred to other Sony divisions as it relates to their insurance and banking businesses. Those investments are not readily available for Sony to purchase game publishers. They still have about $14B cash on hand though as of December.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They try to launch MMO (or GTA Online like), but canceled
Sleeping Dogs was an activision game before square enix buy the IP
I loved Sleeping Dogs it had an hon kong actioneer style that was awesome, I loved doing a wheelie to use a car as a ramp to jump into the air and shoot the car I was pursuing in slowmo.
That and slapping pedestrian with my car door while driving at full speed.

Varteras

Gold Member
That cash on hand is over 50% of short term investments in Sony Financial Services and is restricted from being transferred to other Sony divisions as it relates to their insurance and banking businesses. Those investments are not readily available for Sony to purchase game publishers. They still have about $14B cash on hand though as of December.

Right. I wasn't suggesting that all $31 billion was for them to just buy whatever they wanted. Simply that Sony has more than enough to buy SE outright if they wanted to. Assuming the acquisition required full outright purchase and not some other deals.

Right. I wasn't suggesting that all $31 billion was for them to just buy whatever they wanted. Simply that Sony has more than enough to buy SE outright if they wanted to. Assuming the acquisition required full outright purchase and not some other deals.

I just wanted to make this clear because a lot of users throw this number around, but they don’t understand that over half of those funds are basically unavailable to Sony’s core businesses of gaming, movies, and electronics. With that said, even $14B in cash is plenty to acquire SE without a sweat.

Last edited:
I just wanted to make this clear because a lot of users throw this number around, but they don’t understand that over half of those funds are basically unavailable to Sony’s core businesses of gaming, movies, and electronics. With that said, even $14B in cash is plenty to acquire SE without a sweat.

Source that Sony can't use those funds?

vivftp

kretos

Banned
It would be a shitty move and it would solve absolutely nothing. It would just cause the current fan base of each S-E IP on Switch to start hating Sony. Wonderful PR.

I doubt it will happen but if Sony wants to buy SE they wouldn't think of Switch owners feelings

Source that Sony can't use those funds?

Page 51 of their 20-F Annual Report filed with the SEC under the Financial Services segment heading. They specifically mention that lending and borrowing between subsidiaries in the Financial Services segment and the other companies within Sony Group is strictly limited. This is due to Insurance and Banking laws in Japan.

How many of these stupid rumors do we have? We get so many "Xbox is buying blank" threads, basically all end up being false. When they do actually buy someone, like Zenimax, basically no one saw it coming and there's no corresponding 50 page thread about the rumor.

There is absolutely no real indication that Sony is buying SquareEnix, Microsoft is buying Sega, etc.

I'm curious the source as well since this is the first time I've seen someone bring it up. Also, just to note that they seem to have 45.08 billion cash on hand.

It’s in their SEC filing, as I’ve stated above. Also, cash on hand, per micro trends and ycharts includes short term investments. A look at their actual balance sheet and cash flows show less cash and cash equivalents than the numbers from those sites. You have to read their definitions to understand what these websites are actually calculating.

Kev Kev

You should probably read up on FF16 then...
nope. ive been burned too many times by square

i wont read up or follow anything by them at this point bc its a waste of time for me, has been for the better part of 20 years now. i will play FFXVI after it comes out, as long as the reviews are decent, but probably not until 6 months to a year after it comes out so they have a chance to work out any bugs that the game ships with, which seems to be the norm for the industry now 🤦‍♂️

b6a6es

Banned
More like 22B$+, since the total cash on hand is about 44B$ as of December

NWUmD3W.jpg

How many of these stupid rumors do we have? We get so many "Xbox is buying blank" threads, basically all end up being false. When they do actually buy someone, like Zenimax, basically no one saw it coming and there's no corresponding 50 page thread about the rumor.

There is absolutely no real indication that Sony is buying SquareEnix, Microsoft is buying Sega, etc.

Private company aquisitions tend to come out of nowhere yeah

vivftp

It’s in their SEC filing, as I’ve stated above. Also, cash on hand, per micro trends and ycharts includes short term investments. A look at their actual balance sheet and cash flows show less cash and cash equivalents than the numbers from those sites. You have to read their definitions to understand what these websites are actually calculating.

Cool, thanks.

Yeah, in the end Sony has more than enough means to acquire a company like Square Enix if they wanted to. Such a deal almost certainly wouldn't be cash anyways.

As for why Sony would want Square, as of late Sony's been very interested in properties that they can both make games and also TV shows/movies with. Not to mention their anime push. A company like Square or even Capcom would provide them with a treasure trove of IP they could mine for all of those purposes, so it wouldn't have to just be about the games. I've been saying Sony should make a move for Capccom for the longest time.

As for this rumor, there's nothing solid to back it up but there's still no harm in discussing the possibility.

Top Bottom