• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony was nervous about Horizon's female protagonist, did lots of focus testing

ilium

Yet
tumblr_ndnug1lczz1s7elebo1_500.gif

flopped.

Being a good game is vastly more likely to translate into sales than whether the main character has an X or Y chromosome or not.

True, but you forget the immense marketing and cultural impact behind the TR franchise back then.
Lara was everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404oPn6tudE

Yet
tumblr_ndnug1lczz1s7elebo1_500.gif

flopped.

Being a good game is vastly more likely to translate into sales than whether the main character has an X or Y chromosome or not.

Despite PN03, not controlling well in my opinion and other issues, people also thought they were getting an action game, not some odd rhythm game.

SykoTech

Really happy they stuck to their vision and didn't wimp out.

Since it's a western RPG, they were probably very tempted to make the main character one that can swap genders (Shepard). I much prefer a well-defined character over an avatar though, so I'm glad they didn't go down that route.

Kamina777

Banned
The protagonist is the only thing I didn't like about the game, just didn't work for me, everything else seemed promising. I wrongly assumed you would be able to pick from a pool of character's of different genders with different abilities.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The protagonist is the only thing I didn't like about the game, just didn't work for me, everything else seemed promising. I wrongly assumed you would be able to pick from a pool of character's of different genders with different abilities.

. . .based on what?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't have any issues with the design... but I would have liked to have been able to create my own character. I wish more games did that.

If they market the game properly (Something Sony didn't seem to do well during the PS3 era) then I can see this easily surpassing Killzone numbers.

Also we know this will get a sequel just by the subtitle of the name. I just hope this sells well enough to keep the female protag because if they were nervous about it now and it doesn't sell the numbers they want you know she will be one of the things switched out.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Shu was just talking about it with Greg and Colin. Told then he'd played it a few days ago. He talked about how they're waiting for the right time to rereveal it. It was the same language he used about TLG when explaining why they waited so long, so it seems pretty obvious (along with his no more big first party Vita games remark this week) that it's a PS4 exclusive now.

thanks for this info. really looking forward to the day the kat comes back :) ...

Skux

Why are people so mad that sony was nervous and had to focus test the protagonist? A lot of money rides on a big budget game such as horizon. I don't think stakeholders would be very impressed if they didn't do research on all the variables in a game to ensure good sales.

For some reason (Fuse) focus testing gets a bad rap around here. It apparently "ruins the developer's vision" with detractors all the while not realising how focus testing a) has improved products thanks to early feedback, and b) is near ubiquitous and is a standard procedure of any product design and testing.

I do not understand where the problem was Yoshida. Nor was it the first or last woman protagonist of a video game. And I must say I love the character.

I think NotYgritte is a great design. Really loving her hair, demeanor and outfit. But I tend to play female characters when given the choice so my opinion probably doesn't count. I'm so hyped for this I can't even put it in words. I need this game now!

Zubz

Banned
Y'see, this is why I hate focus-testing; they look at what 14 year old boys want in a game, and it usually creates a game targeted solely at 14 year old boys in a time where video games are enjoyed by a more diverse lot. Personally, I'm excited to see a female protagonist that isn't just some generic bombshell character!

Horizon was one of the only things that came out of E3 this year that excited me as a viewer. Not even the "megatons" phased me, but this, I can get behind. I don't have a PS4, but if there's anything right now that could sell me, it's probably Horizon.

I do not understand where the problem was Yoshida. Nor was it the first or last woman protagonist of a video game.

New IP with female protag with an AAA budget. Tomb Raider was well established so no worries there. Can you name another female protag from an AAA game that wasn't already in an established IP?

I can see why he was worried from a marketing standpoint.

Tom Snows

Neo Member
I'd probably kill myself right now if I thought Youtube comments were representative of anything other than social recluses who use Youtube as a surrogate for people to actually converse with

I think you're underestimating the depth of human stupidity. I said average person, and if you look at society as a whole, the average is pretty damn bad. Here at GAF people are mostly civilized and educated, but we don't represent, AT ALL, the (again) average person who plays games. Most of these guys don't go to dedicated sites for videogame news. At most, they watch YouTube videos. Hence my point.

Or, maybe I'm just a pessimist.

For some reason (Fuse) focus testing gets a bad rap around here. It apparently "ruins the developer's vision" with detractors all the while not realising how focus testing a) has improved products thanks to early feedback, and b) is near ubiquitous and is a standard procedure of any product design and testing.

I'm... well, not annoyed, more deeply disappointed that this is even a question that should even go to focus testing in the first place.

"Dat female main character tho..." said no book editor ever.

Skux

Pinning the character's basis on Ygritte is a little misleading. Aloy would have been in the concept stage before Ygritte even appeared in GoT.

I did some focus testing myself- I played Claire Redfield in RE:Revelations 2 and I didn't spontaneously combust.

That said, these days I seem to prefer games that feature two protagonists to choose from- Like Murasama where you can choose between the guy ninja and the girl ninja, each with their own stories.

Chinbo37

I wonder if developers spent massive amounts on R&D and focus testing to ensure that Perfect Dark and Parasite Eve would be well received by gamers

ilium

the TR franchise generated that impact from its success, it wasn't successful because of it.

It is a really important distcinction.

Fair enough.
But I still think that Lara was first and foremost seen and marketed as a sex symbol, and the franchise would've never been as successful as it was with a male character back then.

I really don't care about race or sex of the protagonist as long as the game is good and the dialog and story are intriguing. I personally think people get way too touchy over this subject. If a game is good then its good.

airjoca

They spent lots of money doing focus tests. They can just hire me as a level headed person with common sense to make those decisions for them.

Sony - "So airjoca, we are afraid this female protagonist might not appeal to..."
airjoca - "Keep the creators vision, move along!"

Ain't no one listens to me.

New IP with female protag with an AAA budget. Tomb Raider was well established so no worries there. Can you name another female protag from an AAA game that wasn't already in an established IP?

I can see why he was worried from a marketing standpoint.

I think the success of a game is based on the quality of this and not that controls a female or male character.

Teletraan1

Banned
What hair products are people going to have in some post apocalyptic setting? She doesn't have dreads, just no product hair that looks kinda greasy and braided.

I usually prefer a female protag. I always assemble the female cast members for JRPGs. It is part of the reason I am not interested in FFXV.

I want her to be a three dimensional character with a lot of personality. I don't give a fuck what she looks like as long as it's consistent with the world she is in.

Seems reasonable to speculate.

This game is going to have an insane budget. It needs appeal. But I'm glad they didn't back out to put in a bald space marine.

airjoca

I'd be more worried about Guerrilla Games usual stamp of style and looks over substance than about the sex of the protagonist.

Gbraga

Why are people shitting on "the 14 year old boys they do focus tests with", though? They approved the design, they're part of the reason Sony didn't turn their concerns into orders to change the protagonist.

I'd be more worried about Guerrilla Games usual stamp of style and looks over substance than about the sex of the protagonist.

I'm not a big fan of Gorilla Games' output, but I have a lot of faith in this, what they showed seemed awesome, the leaks were already awesome, and I feel like they've always been great at creating universes for their games, even if the actual game plot wasted them.

This time they got some new people on board for Horizon. Should be cool.

Kamina777

Banned
Ain't no one listens to me.
Are you insulting me??!!111111
Yeah I know. Don't know why anyone would assume anything before hearing real info about the game.
I do it all the time,especially with games, they're merely hopes, like this game having an element of choice rather for characters instead of the old killzone 2,3, and 4 method, sometimes I'm wrong sometimes I'm not. I thought it was human nature to assume, especially if your life isn't depending on the outcome.

I just saw TEH-CJ's post in the Horizon thread omg lol

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

They've been making hires to make sure it has a lot of substance. They hired the writer for Fallout: New Vegas, and they hired a quest designer from CD Projekt RED that many people feel made the best quests for The Witcher 3.

Fair enough.
But I still think that Lara was first and foremost seen and marketed as a sex symbol, and the franchise would've never been as successful as it was with a male character back then.

The creators openly admitted Lara Croft is Lara Croft because they'd rather stare at a girls arse for hours than a mans (and you know what? I can't fault that logic), and as soon as TR proved itself to be a hugely successful game the same marketers that - if they'd been consulted - would have steered them to having a male lead instead went balls deep on the sexualisation and spamming her face across every media opportunity they could find.

Tomb Raider was never successful "because sex appeal", it was successful for being a good game. This baffled the fuck out of marketers, as her subsequent hyper-sexualised treatment proved.

Top Bottom