• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Missed Cross-IP-Mash-Up Game Potential

kungfuian

Does anybody think it's kind of strange, and also a bit of a missed opportunity, that Sony hasn't leveraged it's IPs the same way Nintendo has with more 'cross IP genre mash ups' like party games, fighting games, sports, racers, etc. Aside from a few one off games over the years, they have made very few attempts to make IP mash up type games and it seems like a missed business opportunity.

As much as I love new and unique IPs, some games like Little Big Planet/Mod Nation Racer/Dreams/Everybody's Golf, all seemed ideal for that type of Cross IP mash up from day one. For example a new fully fleshed out Astro-bot heavily cross pollinated with levels/skins/mechanics from other high profile Sony IP would definitely sell a hell of a lot better than a game based on the Astrobot IP alone. Sony seems to have quite a few games that would benefit from attaching known IPs to them, as well as gaps in their portfolio that could benefit from these types of 'mash up' games. Especially as they move into exploring more GAAS live service type games, feels like their is a lot of untapped potential for cross IP type games and content.

Any thoughts on why they haven't taken this approach?

Three

Does anybody think it's kind of strange, and also a bit of a missed opportunity, that Sony hasn't leveraged it's IPs the same way Nintendo has with more 'cross IP genre mash ups' like party games, fighting games, sports, racers, etc. Aside from a few one off games over the years, they have made very few attempts to make IP mash up type games and it seems like a missed business opportunity.

As much as I love new and unique IPs, some games like Little Big Planet/Mod Nation Racer/Dreams/Everybody's Golf, all seemed ideal for that type of Cross IP mash up from day one. For example a new fully fleshed out Astro-bot heavily cross pollinated with levels/skins/mechanics from other high profile Sony IP would definitely sell a hell of a lot better than a game based on the Astrobot IP alone. Sony seems to have quite a few games that would benefit from attaching known IPs to them, as well as gaps in their portfolio that could benefit from these types of 'mash up' games. Especially as they move into exploring more GAAS live service type games, feels like their is a lot of untapped potential for cross IP type games and content.

Any thoughts on why they haven't taken this approach?
They tried this during the PS3 era and it wasn't successful.

kungfuian

There's a tiny issue you have not taken into account here, and it's very simple:

Nobody gives a shit about those IPs.
Yeah I agree if the names stayed the same. I would think aside from the content, Sony would rebrand them to include big name IP. So for example Dreams would not be called Dreams, because like you said, no one cares about that IP. But if you can find a way to rebrand it and attach big name IP to it then it would sell better.

Jinzo Prime

There's a tiny issue you have not taken into account here, and it's very simple:

Well, besides God of War and The Last of Us. And those IP don't lend themselves to genre mash-ups very well. Meanwhile MS is sitting on lots of IP that can do it, but just hasn't yet.

Even something as simple as a Doom Eternal skin in Halo would do a lot.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I prefer it this way. Nintendo just milks their IP into hell. Can't remember the last new one they even made.

I prefer it this way. Nintendo just milks their IP into hell. Can't remember the last new one they even made.
Splatoon, about 8 years ago and Arms like 6 years ago.

The rest, pure casual games like ring fit, switch sports and others.

But they’ll tell you otherwise.

I think playstation All-stars kinda screwed the pooch on that. I read that it was a nightmare because the studio working on the game had to get permission from all the other sony studios if they could use their characters. If the studio said no, Sony wouldn't do anything.

bender

What time is it?
I think playstation All-stars kinda screwed the pooch on that. I read that it was a nightmare because the studio working on the game had to get permission from all the other sony studios if they could use their characters. If the studio said no, Sony wouldn't do anything.

Snake being in Smash while PASBR getting Raiden will always make me laugh.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d love to see it but I guess most Sony’s IP doesn’t really fit well with crossovers. It’s difficult to make it work without it feeling very strange since most of their games are very serious while most Nintendo games are very ‘playful’.

I definitely wouldn’t mind if they had another go on All Stars Battle Royale though.

I’d also throw in Astral Chain, which is fantastic.

And The Stretchers as well as Good Job! which were both pretty good (albeit small puzzle games).

Last edited:

Doom85

I’d also throw in Astral Chain, which is fantastic.

And The Stretchers as well as Good Job! which were both pretty good (albeit small puzzle games).

Well, they were talking about new IPs made by Nintendo.

Astral Chain was made by Platinum, Nintendo only published it.

Never even heard of Stretchers or Good Job but checking really quick, they were also developed outside of Nintendo.

Robb

Gold Member
Well, they were talking about new IPs made by Nintendo.

Astral Chain was made by Platinum, Nintendo only published it.

Never even heard of Stretchers or Good Job but checking really quick, they were also developed outside of Nintendo.
I think that’s a bit silly while simultaneously stating they milk their IP into oblivion when a lot of those Mario games etc. are also made by devs outside of Nintendo.

IP ownership should be the criteria.

Doom85

I think that’s a bit silly while simultaneously stating they milk their IP into oblivion when a lot of those Mario games etc. are also made by devs outside of Nintendo.

IP ownership should be the criteria.

Nothing silly about it. We’re talking about NEW IPs. Those Mario games weren‘t new IPs. Also, Nintendo decided to have those developers develop those spin-offs, so they still chose to “milk” the IP.

I’m not about to give Nintendo credit for an IP that wasn‘t created by one of their own development teams. Platinum did the work on Astral Chain, not Nintendo.

Robb

Gold Member
Nothing silly about it. We’re talking about NEW IPs. Those Mario games weren‘t new IPs. Also, Nintendo decided to have those developers develop those spin-offs, so they still chose to “milk” the IP.

I’m not about to give Nintendo credit for an IP that wasn‘t created by one of their own development teams. Platinum did the work on Astral Chain, not Nintendo.
I guess I disagree then. Those are all new Nintendo IP. Nintendo chose to make them and just let another dev program them. Just like with something like Zelda: Age of Calamity.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Little big planet was one of they key titles to start building momentum for the ps3.

It is an extremely big ip for them.

SkylineRKR

LBP underperformed and the franchise shrunk with each sequel. Its pretty much in limbo now.

I just want a new Astrobot like Rescue Mission or Playroom. I don't need crossover shit.

Damigos

Playstation all stars says hi
I like it very much, even platinumed it 2 times, back in the day.
I would very much enjoy a sequel

From all those options above only Modnation had that potential but Sony lacks the vision to pull off that type of stuff. Look how Playstation All-stars was received and handled. There's no way Sony can make something like their version of Smash Bros or Mario Kart and be as successful as Nintendo. Sony IPs lack the "iconicness", appeal, and casual charm that something like Link/Mario does. It won't work.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
With their new GAAS approach, they can throw in cameos and skins for all their games if they want. We're in a new era where Fortnite has everything, so maybe people will be more interested in this kind of thing.

I remain skeptical of how successful it will be, and that's for just 1 reason. I don't think they have many iconic characters that people care about. Icon, as in - immediately recognizable like a sticker on a t-shirt, like a billboard sign, like an actual icon. They have popular human characters, but they're not iconic and visually and I don't think people actually want to revisit these characters much outside of the games. Sony games are more about cinematic immersion, and seeing them popped into strange settings I think actually just shows how limited the visual appeal of the character is and actually is probably a turn off for Sony fans who prefer to see the characters in their normal setting.

Doom85

I guess I disagree then. Those are all new Nintendo IP. Nintendo chose to make them and just let another dev program them. Just like with something like Zelda: Age of Calamity.

Platinum Games was the one who pitched Astral Chain to Nintendo. The game’s director is one of Platinum’s. Platinum Games are not owned by Nintendo.

Zelda’s IP is owned by Nintendo.

Phat Tuesdays GIF by Prime Video Comedy

Robb

Gold Member
Platinum Games was the one who pitched Astral Chain to Nintendo. The game’s director is one of Platinum’s. Platinum Games are not owned by Nintendo.

Zelda’s IP is owned by Nintendo.

Phat Tuesdays GIF by Prime Video Comedy
I’m not sure I follow. Ownership should be what matters and Nintendo is the one who owns the Astral Chain IP. Just like they own Zelda.

What would you consider Astral Chain 2 if Nintendo EAD is the developer for the next one? Still not a Nintendo IP?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This was experimented on during the PS3 era and didn't turn out too well. Though I think they could totally combine the worlds of Days Gone and The Last of Us.

Deacon St John making a cameo at a Firefly outpost wouldnt seem too outrageous

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Have to agree. Sony is not Nintendo when it comes to iconic IPs. You would have to look at Capcom or Sega for something to rival smash in terms of iconography.
But they are probably the best of the 1st party at making new IP. They can start from scratch and consistently nail it.

I just don't think the immersive style of design works quite as well for cameos / icon status.

Liamario

Banned
But they are probably the best of the 1st party at making new IP. They can start from scratch and consistently nail it.

I just don't think the immersive style of design works quite as well for cameos / icon status.
I'm not disputing the quality of Sony's games, but their characters don't lend themselves well to this type of game.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Snake being in Smash while PASBR getting Raiden will always make me laugh.
Nu-Dante, Big Daddy (Bioshock launched as a 360 exclusive), Cole AND Evil Cole, the entire thing was a shit show

Then Smash gets most of the characters that Sony shills claimed were impossible to put in a game like this

Last edited:

Doom85

I’m not sure I follow. Ownership should be what matters and Nintendo is the one who owns the Astral Chain IP. Just like they own Zelda.

What would you consider Astral Chain 2 if Nintendo EAD is the developer for the next one? Still not a Nintendo IP?

But the whole concept was Platinum’s. The development was Platinum’s. Why should Nintendo be the one credited for inventing the IP over Platinum’s?

No, the IP was created by Platinum. Even if Nintendo bought it, that’s all they did. They don‘t get credit for creating it.

The original discussion was about what new IPs Nintendo themselves made. They did not make Astral Chain by any stretch of the imagination. You wouldn’t credit the publishing company Stephen King works with for the creation of his books, no, they’re King’s books that he created. It’s the same logic here.

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

Robb

Gold Member
But the whole concept was Platinum’s. The development was Platinum’s. Why should Nintendo be the one credited for inventing the IP over Platinum’s?

No, the IP was created by Platinum. Even if Nintendo bought it, that’s all they did. They don‘t get credit for creating it.

The original discussion was about what new IPs Nintendo themselves made. They did not make Astral Chain by any stretch of the imagination. You wouldn’t credit the publishing company Stephen King works with for the creation of his books, no, they’re King’s books that he created. It’s the same logic here.

I mean I get what you’re saying, but Platinum were hired on Nintendos dime to make that IP for them and they were involved in and overseeing the development. Nintendo made it happen, otherwise the ‘game’ might’ve just been a dusty concept drawing somewhere in someone’s cupboard today.

Can’t say I know much about book publishing, but I’m pretty sure Stephen King has copyright on his books and get paid royalties when one is sold.

If Nintendo made a remaster of Astral Chain for “Switch 2” they wouldn’t have to credit a single person at Platinum Games in the end-credits of the game.

I kind of feel like I’m/we’re derailing the thread though so maybe let’s agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I don't think PS's audience really gives a shit about IP-mashup shit.

Like, I'm not sure a fighting game featuring Kratos, Elle from TLOU, and Nathan Drake would make for a compelling product for the PS audience who seems to value cinematic largely SP narrative-driven games.

If you look at Nintendo's games, most of them aren't big cinematic narrative-driven games at all. Most are pure mindless fun, and so the audience for those games would value the kind of IP mashups you're asking for. I don't think the same is true for Sony or even Xbox's gamer audience.

Last edited:

JimboJones

With that line of reasoning Sony didn't create Little Big Planet, Everybody's Golf, Modnation Racers or Moterstorm.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
After playing 4 player splitscreen Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed its pretty obvious. Sonic racing is better than Mario Kart in pretty much everything other than the characters, but ends up feeling like a worse game because of that. If Sega dont have enough IP to get close to Nintendo then Sony definitely don't.

theclaw135

Banned

Sony's studios aren't known for coordinating. It gets trickier how properties like Ghostbusters are managed by different branches of the company.

sainraja

I don't think their IPs are the issue. It really is their audience... PlayStation All Stars was a solid game. Sony has created/funded other similar games (e.g. LittleBigPlanet, Sackboy Adventure (this one is really good) and ModNation Racers etc). Unfortunately, some of us posting in this thread are probably the only ones who bought them, which is a shame.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

The only good new Sony character that didn't look like a disgusting unmarketable eyesore and look how we treated her.

0VkbLqi.png

This is the game that should have been bundled with the PS4 instead of Knack.

Now her studio is dead and gone meaning I'll never get a 3rd game. Thanks a lot Knack 2.

ip2sQ18.jpg

Last edited:

T0minator

Give me a fighting game with

Kratos
Astro
Sackboy
Sweet Tooth
Ratchet & Clank
Aloy
Parappa
Jin
Spider-Man
Sly Cooper
Jak n Daxter
Clive
Cloud

Partner with Arch System Works for a stylized 2D fighter.

Tams

Calling Ring Fit 'casual' says a lot.

Stick that game on maximum difficulty and it will beast you. Quite literally. And you will be thankful for it.

Top Bottom