• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 in-game movie

Shouta

SC3 is MUCH better looking than SC2 on the PS2. I was quite surprised with it when I saw it in person.

Solid

IGN said:
For those who are worried that the game is coming out a little bit too fast, take it from me; if the changes to the game now are any indication, this is going to be a great evolution of an already amazing series.
No need to worry, doubters! Can't wait to play this myself :)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Funny I haven't heard anyone mention zig21 muchless aris's name in a long time. Hopefully this game doesn't bite as much as Sc2 did competitively after a year or so.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After seeing Tekken 5 I had faith in SC3 on PS2. Tekken 5 is just plain one of the nicest all-around looking games this generation, and shows Namco still has PS2 chops like few others.

Finaika

Kaijima said:
After seeing Tekken 5 I had faith in SC3 on PS2. Tekken 5 is just plain one of the nicest all-around looking games this generation, and shows Namco still has PS2 chops like few others.
I fully agree.

That looks fantastic, a big step up from SC2 which I thought looked kinda bland (lighting wasn't that great). I loved SC1, but SC2 was pretty 'meh' for me...not a big enough progression in graphics and gameplay. I love the whole RPG-ish slant to SC3, should make for a great 1player experience.

ourumov

After seeing Tekken 5 on the PS2 I am convinced Namco can do whatever they want with the system :)

Best PS2 3rd party this gen along Capcom.

ourumov said:
After seeing Tekken 5 on the PS2 I am convinced Namco can do whatever they want with the system :)

Best PS2 3rd party this gen along Capcom.

Nein! Konami is my fav, MGS3/ZOE2/ProEvo <3 <3 <3 :)

Namco has been really important to PS2 this gen. MS needs to get the big Japanese devs to give them better games, no old ports and useless original games made on shoestring budgets.

ourumov

Konami is my favourite 3rd party but I have been pretty dissapointed this gen.

Konami's 128 efforts = SHIT in comparisson to what they did in the 32/16 bit days.

You have MGS/SH/WE and Gradius V and that's all...Oh wait ! There is Contra: SS :)

Suikoden and Castlevania have sucked this gen and they have allowed a lot of minor IPs to die like the Goemon series, Parodius series, Tokimeki Series. IMO they haven't been up to what they used to be.
Considering Konami is the biggest of the JP 3rd parties I think they haven't delivered enough.

Namco and Capcom on the other hand, despite being pretty small in comparisson to the "little wave" company have delivered a lot of quality games.

IMHO the Konami problems begin at the end of the 90s when somebody had the idea to kill all the other studios but KCEJ and KCET. Sure KCEN sucked, but KCEO and KCEK were pretty good !

--Create a Character is BEEFY, there are what appears to be a ton of options with which to make your own unique character. The exampe used in the demo could pass for Sauron XD

I have a ton of characters that I'm going to make in this. I hope all clothes and skin colors are customizable.

--The "Destined One" is almost assuredly Nightmare. I saw parts of the Intro cinematic and he confirmed to me that Seigfried and Nightmare are two different Souls this time. The scene showed an obviously tormented Seigfried, driving his blade into the eye of the sword, it is a very powerful scene.

Siegfried is a hero again. BEST. GAME. EVER!

ourumov

The Take Out Bandit said:
What are you smoking?!

At the very least Namco's games are nice looking. Capcom isn't even worthy of licking Snowblind's boots so far as milking the PS2 for every ounce of power goes.
Yep...Snowblind is great...great to help you sleep.

ourumov

I should have put IMHO after that statement...but the fact is that this gen Capcom and Namco products have entertained me the most. (Konami games too !)

I tend to fall in love with arcade games and that's both the definition of Capcom and Namco: ARCADE :)

And don't take the Snowblind joke seriously ;) It was just a joke TTOB.

Oh I know.

But being completely bored I'll have a go at your Capcom = Arcade rubbish.

Not anymore. Capcom has lost their arcade heritage, and is now focusing on the inane guns & trench coat, style over substance genre of games. Back in the early 1990's Capcom had a Koei / Omega Force-like free pass to my wallet.

Problem is these companies work in cycles, and tend to rehash / refit their hot shit games for that era; and currently Capcom is in a place I don't like at all. I hate their Resident Evil rehashes (RE, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, DMC).

Hopefully next generation they'll come out with the new hotness, but seeing as how they've already announced Oh Jesus Fuck - errrr, I mean Devil May Cry 10; fuck it. Milk! Milk! Milk!

Hey, at least milk a formula I like. How about a Megaman Legends sequel, you twats?! >:|

Namco - they're really good at getting good looks from Sony hardware; but they'll always by a cut rate Sega so far as their arcade offerings go. :D

SC3 still looks a game from the 32-bit generation visually upgraded to a new platform, the same way the original SC looked on DC. It feels archaic at the core.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
siegfried! obviously i was going to buy it anyway, but now that siegfried's in there i'm going to buy it even harder.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Fuck everyone else, its all about Cervantes de Leon.

Any confirmation on him being in the game? I assume as much but I haven't seen any media on that badass.

sc317.jpg

sc318.jpg

sc319.jpg

sc302.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050527/sc3.htm

I know this thread is old. But I just watched the newer vid, Backstage.
All I can say is Itigaki just got made a fool of, big time.

I guess he was right though back when the Xbox launched.
Itigaki: "We could never create graphics like this on PS2" when talking about DOA3.

Sure, "He" can't but it looks like Namco not only can produce graphics like DOA3, than can produce better graphics than even DOAU!!! :lol

No wonder that guy wears shades everywhere, I would too if I got made a complete fool of.

MAZYORA

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I know this thread is old. But I just watched the newer vid, Backstage.
All I can say is Itigaki just got made a fool of, big time.

I guess he was right though back when the Xbox launched.
Itigaki: "We could never create graphics like this on PS2" when talking about DOA3.

Sure, "He" can't but it looks like Namco not only can produce graphics like DOA3, than can produce better graphics than even DOAU!!! :lol

No wonder that guy wears shades everywhere, I would too if I got made a complete fool of.

Dude, while Soul Calibur 3 does have really good design...it's still not htat technically impressive. Namco is still recycling dreamcast style water effects for crying out loud. DOA3 beats it, and there is no comparison to DOAU. I'm no Itagaki fan, but DOAU could never be done on PS2 without a huge hit in graphics. DOAU is way better graphically by miles. Now design is a whole different story.

SC3 and T5 look amazing on ps2 but lets not kid ourselves they dont look nearly as impressive as the DOA xbox games in terms of graphics.

Aritisticly(sp?) yes the characters look WAY better in SC3.

Graphically there is still a significant difference between the games.

btw isnt SC3 suppose to have DOA style stages now?

Kabuki Waq said:
Aritictically yes the characters look WAY better in SC3.

Graphically there is still a significant difference between the games.

btw isnt SC3 suppose to have DOA style stages now?

I don't know if the stages are "DOA big" but yes it does have interactive environments.

dark10x said:
Dreamcast shits all over this...
:lol

Mihail

Banned
I think that's just the stylized logo, but at best it's SoulCalibur. On all Namco-licensed products, it's written as Soulcalibur in plain font and SoulCalibur in the stylized font.

Kabuki Waq said:
SC3 and T5 look amazing on ps2 but lets not kid ourselves they dont look nearly as impressive as the DOA xbox games in terms of graphics.

Whatever you say, DOA3 isn't that impressive looking to me.
There are lots of bitmapped distant backgrounds in it and tons of flat 2D sky-lines.

I really love that flat 2D sky in DOAU, It looks so Next Generation. :/

Top Bottom