• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 in-game movie

dark10x said:
Dreamcast shits all over this...

Your right...
SC3 doesn't have multi-tier stages like DOA2 had on Dreamcast.
Proof that DOA2 for Dreamcast > Soul Calibur III for PS2

Seriously though, I know there will probably be less polygons in the characters in SC3 than in DOAU. And they wont have long hair that slides over the shoulders either, unless they are pony or pigtailed. But there is a lot going on in SCIII that I don't see in DOAU and vice versa.

I don't know if I would put one over the other in every area graphically.

Take Tekken 5 for example. The girl models look low poly but the male models look a bit higher. They all suffer from stubbed off fingers though, but I see fur rendering, nice muscle texture, actual physics applied to some clothing and items, and no 2D backgrounds or flat Anime eyes.

fuzzballling.jpg

On the other hand, DOAU has sweet looking "stylized" character models, huge interactive environments, more polys, and fantastic lighting effects in the smaller stages, but there are some 2D elements if you take the time to look. (ex, beach stage has 2D flat sky and invisible walls) <-Still looks incredible though.

As for SC3, I'll wait until I have it in my hands.
So far though, it looks amazing, and I don't see stubbed off square fingers, low polys, 2D environments, or anything else that looks cheap.
I still assume breakable objects don't stay though :/.

So ok, in regard to other posters, maybe DOAU is still going to be ahead of SC3 but not by much I'm afraid.
There shouldn't be any "OMG TEH XBOX IS Teh 10X PoWERS of PS2!! LOL!!!"

The fact that SC3 on PS2 looks comparable to DOA4 on 360 says a lot about SC3, and not so much for DOA4.

Good job namco, man--I don't even like Soul Calibur and that shit had my pretty damn impressed. Maybe I'll give it another whirl. As of now I'm just more of a VF/Tekken fan myself.

llTll

Banned
why i never liked SC is beoynd me. i love fighting games alot. in fact Tekken might be the reason i buy PS3 not X360 after seeing that video.

but i was never able to understand SC. i mean how can u hit me with huge @$$ sword and i never die?

it might be that reason i didnt like the game... i duno

Tellaerin

llTll said:
but i was never able to understand SC. i mean how can u hit me with huge @$$ sword and i never die?

How can a character like Jack-5 (who has to weigh a good couple of tons and has fists like jackhammers) hit you with a barrage of punches without shattering your ribcage like glass and reducing your internal organs to mush? Why are a kangaroo, a grizzly, and a panda participating in a martial-arts tournament? How can a ninja alien fly short distances by spinning his katana in the air like a propeller, and how does he stab people without so much as drawing blood, let alone actually killing them?

When it comes right down to it, accepting what goes on in Tekken demands at least as much suspension of disbelief from the player as anything in the SC games does.

Shouta

When it comes right down to it, accepting what goes on in Tekken demands at least as much suspension of disbelief from the player as anything in the SC games does.

That's how it is for all fighting games, VF included =P.

Top Bottom