• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea expects North to launch ICBM on Saturday; Protests at US THAAD deployment

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As the additional missile launchers arrived in Seongju late Wednesday, they were met by hundreds of protesters, who believe the system's presence could lead to environmental and health problems.

So these people are dumb.

What do they do to defend themselves against WIFI waves?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is sort of a dumb question, but how have countries previously 'tested' their nuclear-ICBM capability?

So you're testing the 'armed' bomb part underground or the in ocean or deserts...

...and then you test the missiles, unarmed...

...and you assume the two put together will just work?

Did the US or Russia actually test armed ICBMs?

I know it's incredibly unlikely if not impossible, but without a 'full dress rehearsal', isn't there a teeny tiny possibility that maybe something in the real thing wouldn't work to design, when it's all put together?

I say all that to say, we'll assume NK is capable once they test the parts for a nuclear ICBM independently? We don't expect them to actually live-test a finished product?

qcf x2

US stopped it when a much more serious enemy with ICBMs that could not be intercepted tried it, why would it lead to "crying" this time?

You're telling me there wasn't a lot of crying during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

The issue with THAAD, more than anything else, is that it pisses off the other entities in the region (namely China, but Russia by proxy as well). If it's us then who cares, they don't like us anyway. But those entities are going to be pissed at South Korea as well. And while the government welcomes THAAD, I'm not sure the people would approve it if put to a vote; many of them would prefer the US to exit the region too, I'm sure.

If all of this blows over and there is no large scale military conflict, China is not going to be happy with SK.

I know it's incredibly unlikely if not impossible, but without a 'full dress rehearsal', isn't there a teeny tiny possibility that maybe something in the real thing wouldn't work to design, when it's all put together?

I say all that to say, we'll assume NK is capable once they test the parts for a nuclear ICBM independently? We don't expect them to actually live-test a finished product?

If it's NK firing the missile then sure, anything could happen since they're still learning. But generally speaking, yes, testing them independently is good enough, just like with many other things (a car, for example, or a computer). With that said, there would be duds and the countries that have had them for decades would have a mostly functional arsenal (it's likely even a few would fail from the USA's stash).

Daedardus

your referring to the USs icmb interceptors GMD, not THAAD which only does short, medium and intermediate missiles (theater range)

THAAD is much more reliable than GMDs midcourse interception as it attacks the missile in the terminal defense. All recent thaad tests have been successful even when the military tested missiles when it did not know they were coming (something they've not tested GMDs on I believe.

Yep, someone else pointed that out already and I admitted my mistake. Still doesn't bode well for the ICBM threat NK poses, though. And I do wonder how well THAAD holds up for a truly armed missile or one with a nuclear warhead, since I suspect they test with dummy missiles and the system is designed to not detonate the warhead.

So these people are dumb.

What do they do to defend themselves against WIFI waves?

Tinfoil hats of course.

slit

The issue with THAAD, more than anything else, is that it pisses off the other entities in the region (namely China, but Russia by proxy as well). If it's us then who cares, they don't like us anyway. But those entities are going to be pissed at South Korea as well. And while the government welcomes THAAD, I'm not sure the people would approve it if put to a vote; many of them would prefer the US to exit the region too, I'm sure.

If all of this blows over and there is no large scale military conflict, China is not going to be happy with SK.

And SK should care why? China's anemic response to the North's provocations is the main cause of this. Also SK is not the only ally the U.S. has in the region so it's not just up to SK as far as if they leave the region or not.

llien

No, there was quite clear goal, followed by ultimatum, followed by US Navi examining Soviet ships heading Kuba, followed by Soviets mentioned missiles and warheads from Kuba.

The issue with THAAD, more than anything else, is that it pisses off the other entities...

That is not what protests in South Korea (at least openly) claim. I haven't heard of any "let's not piss off"

I'm not sure the people would approve it if put to a vote; many of them would prefer the US to exit the region too, I'm sure.

I'm sure South Korean government has means to accomplish that, no matter how heavenly irrational that would be.

Kagutaba

Why do all these peace movements active in liberal democracies always come of as such blatant useful idiots, or worse, agents of influence. Why can there never be a peace movement that works against and condemns authoritarian aggressors like North Korea, and Russia, while still supporting peaceful liberal democracies' right to defend their values and way of life?

EYEL1NER

And while the government welcomes THAAD, I'm not sure the people would approve it if put to a vote; many of them would prefer the US to exit the region too, I'm sure.
If the link that kmfdmpig posted earlier is to be believed, Gallup polls put support from the people at over 50%, with disapproval of THAAD at only slightly above 30%.

erragal

Why do all these peace movements active in liberal democracies always come of as such blatant useful idiots, or worse, agents of influence. Why can there never be a peace movement that works against and condemns authoritarian aggressors like North Korea, and Russia, while still supporting peaceful liberal democracies' right to defend their values and way of life?

The United States is not a peaceful liberal democracy.

Are you insinuating that the United States is not an authoritarian aggressor? We are.

So basically people just want NK to be allowed to provoke and any attempt to build defenses against this are looked upon as destabilizing the region?

Because these systems are the only thing that can help avoid a huge crisis should Kim go wild without starting a war before it gets that far.

Plus Trump is leveraging THAAD to fuck them over on a trade deal, that's not gonna be popular.

kmfdmpig

If the link that kmfdmpig posted earlier is to be believed, Gallup polls put support from the people at over 50%, with disapproval of THAAD at only slightly above 30%.

The link, which was based on a poll from about a year ago, so may not be up to date at this point, made the point that nationally THAAD was much more popular than it was locally, which makes sense. Obviously, if war broke out the area around THAAD would be a major target for the North, and there are some concerns (valid or not, I'm not sure) about the radiation output of the massive radars.

Here's a newer poll (from just a few months ago):
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/06/205_231380.html
South Koreans were 53% for THAAD, 32% against it.

Kagutaba

The United States is not a peaceful liberal democracy.

South Korea and countries like South Korea, that look to the United States to safeguard them against authoritarian aggressor states, are the peaceful liberal democracies I am referring to.

Are you insinuating that the United States is not an authoritarian aggressor? We are.

No you are not. I know I rather have America as the world hegemon than a multipolar world, where Russia and China claim their own spheres of influence.

I mean on the one hand, theres Trump, but still...

The major reason for being against this type of deployment (in eastern Europe and similar places) is the belief that doing so ratchets up tension and increases the likelihood of actual conflict.

But if that's already certain, there's no excuse not to prepare defenses. The time for appeasement would be over.

Magni

US stopped it when a much more serious enemy with ICBMs that could not be intercepted tried it, why would it lead to "crying" this time?

"stopped it". We quietly removed our missiles in Turkey and begged the Soviets not to let anyone else know to save face.

Top Bottom