• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: South Korea should pay for $1B missile defense system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Link

President Trump wants South Korea to foot the bill for a $1 billion U.S. missile defense system and is threatening to kill the free trade deal between the two countries.

His comments aren't sitting well with officials in South Korea, a key American ally in Asia.
"I informed South Korea it would be appropriate if they pay," Trump said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday. "That's a billion dollar system."

He was talking about the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system, which is being deployed in South Korea in an effort to reduce the threat from North Korean missiles.

CNBC

The South Korean Defense Ministry said that there was no change to its position that the U.S. would bear the cost of THAAD deployment, Yonhap news agency reported. Earlier this week, Yonhap said the U.S. military had begun transferring parts of THAAD into a planned deployment site in South Korea.

meppi

I could just as well put myself on auto-pilot from now one.

What a fucking moron! fuck him, everyone who supports him and everything he stands for.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Is he going to do this with every country? How many patronizing lectures does he need in order to stop this act?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How long until every country just says "we'll pay if you start paying for your golf trips"?

theaface

The starving populations of Sierra Leone and Ethiopia should pay for food they receive via foreign aid. America is getting nothing in return. Sad!

120v

in a few weeks...

"Trump meets with South Korean officials, agrees proposal is dumb. but suggests some vaguely similar measure in near future"

So Trump forces extra tension into the region and increases the very realistic situation of North Korea attacking south and yet they should pay the bill?

What a cunt!

You should want to help protect them. Not muscle them into paying you money by threatening trade deals with them you dumb cunt.

roytheone

I read somewhere that America was in fact the one really pushing for this installation. To them go and try to foot the bill to South Korea is incredibly scummy. Fuck off America.

Slaythe

I guess Donald Trump was right.

If this fits his definition of "winning", then I sure am begging him to please, PLEASE, stop winning. There's too much winning.

Wait. Dont they have some kind of contract for that?

I mean they already negotiated and its supposed to start being built this year, right?

TarNaru33

Banned
The painful realization is he wants them to pay for the system when it is still owned and will be operated by U.S.. It isn't like SK is taking ownership of the system for them to need to pay anything.

Matt

I read somewhere that America was in fact the one really pushing for this installation. To them go and try to foot the bill to South Korea is incredibly scummy. Fuck off America.
It's just him. The system will be installed, the US will pay for it. This is a "fuck off Trump" thing.

Damn this headline cycle is predictable.

Headline : Trump threatens *country* with scrapping trade unless they do X

Headline a few hours-days later: Functioning adult explains to trump why he's an idiot; Trump agrees; backtracks on proposal.

wbEMX

That moment when even a headline of The Onion wouldn't do justice to what Trump is saying in real life. What the fuck?

numble

It is a pretty irresponsible statement given that South Korea's presidential election is in 2 weeks, and the leading candidates are anti-THAAD already.

RinsFury

Fuck Trump and fuck every idiot that voted for him. Four years of this moron destroying everything this country has built, we are so fucked.

djkimothy

He also wants to renegotiate your free trade agreement with SK because there's a trade deficit.

I don't blame him for being an idiot. I blame the voters for not voting Clinton.

Considering the upcoming election and already unpopular decision to install the THAAD, I feel this will cause a reasonably negative impact on the current SK government's votes.

Trump, the conman. He continues burning every clueless victim that does business with him.

Amalthea

Banned
What makes me nervous atm is that he seems to get increasingly kooky (more than usual at least) since he wants a quick "win" for the end of his 100 days. Let's hope he won't do anything much worse in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom