• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: South Korea should pay for $1B missile defense system

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh, look... racketeering.

Costa Kid

I don't get it. The US spreads its influence around the world and now countries like Germany and South Korea should have to pay for it??

pastrami

I guess Donald Trump was right.

If this fits his definition of "winning", then I sure am begging him to please, PLEASE, stop winning. There's too much winning.

Maybe he has a speech impediment and he was saying whining.

“We’re going to whine. We’re going to whine so much. We’re going to whine at trade, we’re going to whine at the border. We’re going to whine so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of whining, you’re going to come to me and go ‘Please, please, we can’t whine anymore.’ You’ve heard this one. You’ll say ‘Please, Mr. President, we beg you sir, we don’t want to whine anymore. It’s too much. It’s not fair to everybody else.’ And I’m going to say ‘I’m sorry, but we’re going to keep whining, whining, whining. We’re going to make America great again.”

UberTag

Is he going to do this with every country? How many patronizing lectures does he need in order to stop this act?
Every nation should just have the Jennifer Lawrence "thumbs up" .gif on auto-standby for any time Trump makes unruly demands of them.
Either that or a "Go Fuck Yourself, Thanks K Bye" response.

If your intent were to destabilize America, cause confusion and chaos internally, and introduce fear and animosity among your allies, you would pretty much do what Trump/ Miller/ Bannon have done these last three months.

Here is your prize, Trumpkins. Soak up all your winning. But I will not forgive, and I will never forget.

Not an unreasonable position in and of itself but if you want to use your military might as a weird form of king-making then you probably need to pay for it.

Keasar

So, earlier he was demanding countries to pay for defence by running around like a really fucking angry Metermaid giving everyone tickets and telling them to pay it, even if they were standing on free parking spots or didn't have a car at all.

Now he is setting up defensive systems like one of those window cleaners in some cities who run up to your car in intersections, clean your windows, then demand that you pay money even if you explicitly said you didn't want your windows cleaned or that you were gonna pay for it if they cleaned them.

daxy

So Trump forces extra tension into the region and increases the very realistic situation of North Korea attacking south and yet they should pay the bill?

What a cunt!

This is nothing new when it comes to US interventions though. It's why people object to the idea of the world's most significant arms dealer (the US) also being its (self-appointed) peacekeeper.

PJV3

Not an unreasonable position in and of itself but if you want to use your military might as a weird form of king-making then you probably need to pay for it.

Didn't he rush it in because the next possible leader of South Korea wouldn't approve the deployment? If that is true then he's being totally unreasonable.

Nabbis

I don't get it. The US spreads its influence around the world and now countries like Germany and South Korea should have to pay for it??

I could see some arguments being made that it's not just US who wants to be there. South Korea could tell them to fuck off and respect it's sovereignty. Being allies is not altruism and both parties will always try to get the most benefit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
532b33db3a45057898605qszs0.gif

This must be how it is in the WH when Trump shuffles into a meeting

BriGuy

It took decades to foster relations with our allies, and months for Trump to undo them. Really got to wonder about our standing on the global stage by the time his term is over.

It took decades to foster relations with our allies, and months for Trump to undo them. Really got to wonder about our standing on the global stage by the time his term is over.
What country gonna benefit from week relationship between democratic countries and dismantled European Union

Measley

What kills me about this is that conservatives actually believe that Trump is better at global politics than Obama, and that all of his bluster and bullshit will raise our status in the world.

Oersted

Maybe he has a speech impediment and he was saying whining.

“We’re going to whine. We’re going to whine so much. We’re going to whine at trade, we’re going to whine at the border. We’re going to whine so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of whining, you’re going to come to me and go ‘Please, please, we can’t whine anymore.’ You’ve heard this one. You’ll say ‘Please, Mr. President, we beg you sir, we don’t want to whine anymore. It’s too much. It’s not fair to everybody else.’ And I’m going to say ‘I’m sorry, but we’re going to keep whining, whining, whining. We’re going to make America great again.”

You win

[Fugo]

So S.Korea should be paying to be protected from a war that HE is escalating?
This is downright mafia-like reasoning

Trump approaches every deal like a protection racket. You pay/vote on this bill, or something bad happens to you. Maybe his ties to organized crime are even deeper than we know, and we know they're very deep.

Ithil

If we're on schedule with his usual approach of talk big, get slapped down and walk it back, he will be paying entirely for it by this evening.

[Fugo];235007725 said:
So S.Korea should be paying to be protected from a war that HE is escalating?
This is downright mafia-like reasoning

Yes Trump made them close down Kaesong and get this shield in 2016

South Korea escalated this last year, which is morally fine as they dont want to be nuked, ofcourse has many other issues (China, most likely pushed by USA, ect.)

sibarraz

Banned
Obviously President Trump is playing everyone in korea. His plan is that both koreas hate him so in the end they reunite in their hatred towards Trump. Genius!

kevin1025

Banned
It's scary how cheap he's gotten with other people's money. I guess it's just a reflex from his personal life.

Or he needs more money for Mar-A-Lago --- sorry, excuse me --- Winter White House trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom