• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy to air on Toonami starting January 2014 at 11:30pm - Dubbed by FUNi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Does this mean this anime is targeted at normal people/world wide appeal or is it going to be another one of those otaku wank fantasy?

Would like to see more animes produced targeted at normal people/world wide appeal like the old days like Afro samurai, deals like this should happen more often.

Attack on Titan is right up your alley.

Cwarrior

Attack on Titan is right up your alley.

I've read been reading the manga a few years now,it's good stuff but a lot of these shounens have always been suitable for normal people, am talking more about original anime that are not adaptation like Afro samurai,cowboy bebop,samurai champloo.

daveo42

Banned
I suppose this should be good news. I'm more worried about how well the dub will come out. Funi is one of the biggest licensing/dubbing companies in the West, but I'm not a big fan of their company. I'd really prefer a subbed version of this instead.

Have they released VA list for the dubbed version yet?

Zero: Funimation (generally speaking) don't do Crunchyroll, especially for stuff they nab in advance.

And this is one of the reasons why I don't like like Funi. Especially when 'in advance' means before the show even airs in Japan. I know they do offer subbed stuff on their site, but it's all 360p, which is nearly unwatchable.

It's kinda amazing that they actually managed to make the deal work.
I'm surprised too; if I remember right, Deadman Wonderland costed them a ton of cash and they didn't have enough money to license out additional shows. I guess the block's been pretty successful since then.

I want this anime to make be believe in some of the newer stuff measuring up to the old classics 'cuz I've been on a binge of that these days. Most of the new stuff doesn't have any appeal to me but something about Space Dandy has me very curious.

Also hoping Toonami can secure War on Geminar.
If they already have, you know now I haven't been watching it for a long time!

26 episodes? US first?

Well that's just dandy!
WOW, that's big! The block must've been really successful since then.

Considering the dub is premiering first Wantabe must think the dub is as good as Bebop's, don't get all the crying for a subbed version. Bebop might as well not have a subbed version

Considering the dub is premiering first Wantabe must think the dub is as good as Bebop's, don't get all the crying for a subbed version. Bebop might as well not have a subbed version

It's a business deal, I don't think you can say the timing of the airing tells us anything about the quality of the dub.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm surprised too; if I remember right, Deadman Wonderland costed them a ton of cash and they didn't have enough money to license out additional shows. I guess the block's been pretty successful since then.

I want this anime to make be believe in some of the newer stuff measuring up to the old classics 'cuz I've been on a binge of that these days. Most of the new stuff doesn't have any appeal to me but something about Space Dandy has me very curious.

If they already have, you know now I haven't been watching it for a long time!

WOW, that's big! The block must've been really successful since then.

Toonami has been doing very well, recently had five shows hit a million viewers in the ratings. As far as War on Geminar goes, well, Tenchi Muyo GXP may have killed that dead.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mean this anime is targeted at normal people/world wide appeal or is it going to be another one of those otaku wank fantasy?

Would like to see more animes produced targeted at normal people/world wide appeal like the old days like Afro samurai, deals like this should happen more often.

Afro Samurai is "the old days?"

Regardless, this seems to be over the top zany fun. It's a comedy series first and foremost.

duckroll

I doubt he has even heard the dub, if it even exists at this point, and more importantly he likely has no say at all when it comes to business decisions like where it is broadcast and so on. Producers handle that sort of stuff, he's just an anime director.

FLEABttn

Banned

There's no way that...thing would be of any help to Toonami. Worst $80 I've spent in years.

If this does particularly well, I could see a couple of western centric shows being made per year primarily for those markets. Long overdue Outlaw Star sequel please?

As far as War on Geminar goes, well, Tenchi Muyo GXP may have killed that dead.

And GXP was the better of the two...

daveo42

Banned
Toonami has been doing very well, recently had five shows hit a million viewers in the ratings. As far as War on Geminar goes, well, Tenchi Muyo GXP may have killed that dead.

Wow, surprised they are doing that well in the ratings. I'm sure a few of the other shows they have on there are helping out as well. Aren't they still airing reruns of Eureka Seven and FMA: Brotherhood on top of new Bleach? it's been a while since I've watched Toonami.

Soul Eater probably helps a bit too with it being a better mix of action and comedy than a lot of the other stuff that's on and they're airing new episodes too.

RPGCrazied

Looks interesting, will check out the first few episodes. Cartoon Network though? They will probably cancel it before it airs the whole 26 episodes. Unless they already paid CN the full amount in advance. Not likely though.

Wow, surprised they are doing that well in the ratings. I'm sure a few of the other shows they have on there are helping out as well. Aren't they still airing reruns of Eureka Seven and FMA: Brotherhood on top of new Bleach? it's been a while since I've watched Toonami.

Soul Eater probably helps a bit too with it being a better mix of action and comedy than a lot of the other stuff that's on and they're airing new episodes too.

Current block is

Bleach
Uncut Naruto
One Piece
Soul Eater
Sword Art Online
FLCL
Star Wars The Clone Wars
FMA: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex
IGPX
InuYasha
InuYasha

Flcl and gits start this upcoming weekend, before that big o s2 and cowboy bebop were on the block.

Looks interesting, will check out the first few episodes. Cartoon Network though? They will probably cancel it before it airs the whole 26 episodes. Unless they already paid CN the full amount in advance. Not likely though.

Adult swim/Toonami are airing it, cartoon network has no influence on what they air outside of forcing them to cut the jar jar episodes from clone wars which no one is upset about

It's also airing in Japan, Asia, and likely elsewhere internationally. Cartoon Network doesn't own the show; they can't cancel it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

You have been out of the loop as Naruto, One Piece and Sword Art Online have all been added to the mix.

daveo42

Banned
You have been out of the loop as Naruto, One Piece and Sword Art Online have all been added to the mix.

Was aware that Naruto was on, but last I saw they were still in the middle of the Zabuza arc near the end. I'm more curious about the current One Piece arc airing.

Current block is

Bleach
Uncut Naruto
One Piece
Soul Eater
Sword Art Online
FLCL
Star Wars The Clone Wars
FMA: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex
IGPX
InuYasha
InuYasha

Flcl and gits start this upcoming weekend, before that big o s2 and cowboy bebop were on the block.

Surprised this is on their block now since Toonami was essentially rebranded as their anime block back when it relaunched. I know early on we had non-anime on the block too when CN orignally aired it during the afternoon block in the 90s.

Most of the other stuff on there I consider mostly filler/background noise only because I've seen most of it or it never interested me. FLCL might be worth a 100th watch though.

Was aware that Naruto was on, but last I saw they were still in the middle of the Zabuza arc near the end. I'm more curious about the current One Piece arc airing.

Surprised this is on their block now since Toonami was essentially rebranded as their anime block back when it relaunched.

Most of the other stuff on there I consider mostly filler/background noise only because I've seen most of it or it never interested me. FLCL might be worth a 100th watch though.

"Toonami has never been an anime block, it is an action cartoon block" is the official statement, they've also aired Sym Biotic Titan and Thundercats 2011. OP is starting the water 7 arc which is the best arc of the entire series, Naruto is in the middle of the chunin exams which is also the best part of that show. Inuyasha is also about to get to the band of 7 which is apparently really awesome and brotherhood just got to the promised day.

Needless to say Toonami is pretty hype right now

Hard to tell from that. Some parts look serious, others not so much, like the flashing boobies. lol

I think the show is going to be a mix of action and comedy the way Bebop was. One week will have some dark action bits the next we'll have the whole cast tripping on shrooms.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not feeling this show. The visuals aren't appealing and the premise isn't really all that appealing either. I'll watch cuz everyone is watching though.

daveo42

Banned
"Toonami has never been an anime block, it is an action cartoon block" is the official statement, they've also aired Sym Biotic Titan and Thundercats 2011. OP is starting the water 7 arc which is the best arc of the entire series, Naruto is in the middle of the chunin exams which is also the best part of that show. Inuyasha is also about to get to the band of 7 which is apparently really awesome and brotherhood just got to the promised day.

Needless to say Toonami is pretty hype right now

I think the show is going to be a mix of action and comedy the way Bebop was. One week will have some dark action bits the next we'll have the whole cast tripping on shrooms.

Completely forgot Toonami added those in. I guess 'action cartoon block' works as a descriptor, but we all know they brought Toonami back so they could have a place for anime because fans wanted new episodes and the anime ratings were piss poor for a long time in relation to other programming (Family Guy...ugh).

Also nice to hear good arcs coming up for OP, Naruto, and FMA. Water 7/Enies Lobby is probably the best arc, but I'm also a huge fan of the Shabondy/Impel Down/War arc too, at least in the manga. I felt there were a few too many hokey things in the anime.

Edit: On topic, it's cool that we'll get it over here so soon, but that doesn't dismiss worries about the quality of the dub. That and I almost instantly thing of Spike whenever I hear Blum's voice.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to tell from that. Some parts look serious, others not so much, like the flashing boobies. lol

Watanabe has said it's intended to be a comedy series. Think more along the lines of Mushroom Samba and Cowboy Funk, less Ballad of Fallen Angels and Jupiter Jazz.

Jarate

Banned
hopefully the Boondocks is on before toonami and just replaces the Cleveland Show

that's the only bad thing I can think of with this announcement

Jarate

Banned
I'm hoping I can buy episodes on Amazon Prime or something. I don't pirate stuff, and I don't have cable.

Funimation is pretty shit with streaming services. I have no clue why we can't watch a lot of animes by funimation on Netflix, which is a perfect place for old animes

Funimation is pretty shit with streaming services. I have no clue why we can't watch a lot of animes by funimation on Netflix, which is a perfect place for old animes

Cause they'd rather you pay for their premium services and watch it on their own site

I'm a big fan of dubs and Funimation in particular (I buy a lot of their stuff especially their reasonable prices so its pretty exciting to not have to wait for a dub to come out to watch a show I know will eventually get licensed (if it's something niche like The Tatami Galaxy I'll watch the simulcast).

RPGCrazied

I have the TV channel, and they really don't play anything worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom