• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy to air on Toonami starting January 2014 at 11:30pm - Dubbed by FUNi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow it was upgraded to 26 episodes! NICE!

no filler plz, tho.

You're joking, right? Because this is going to be nothing but "filler", in the sense that it'll be episodic. That's kind of the point, since each episode Dandy will be traveling to a different alien world with its own unique alien designs and such.

Really looking forward to this. Fast-tracking the English dub as a Funi-produced priority (Sentai and company have improved significantly too) is very welcome, as I strongly prefer today's often excellent English dubs over Japanese dubs. Though of course until there is an English dub I'll still watch shows of interest like Attack on Titan subbed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nice! An English dub and they expanded it to 26 episodes! In my veins plz!
PS please get Steve Blum to voice one of the characters.

Branduil

Where did the 26 episodes thing come from?

First, we are proud to announce that Toonami will be WORLD PREMIERING the new series from Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Studio BONES (FMA, Soul Eater, many more), SPACE DANDY! SPACE DANDY is a brand new series that will be premiering in the U.S. BEFORE it premieres in Japan (yep, you read that right)! Details on that to follow soon.

Oh, and when will it premiere? Sooner than you think- This January, at 11:30 PM!

Looks like they edited it out of the tumblr post, so I'm guessing it was a mistake.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll note that they did not correct the episode number, they are hiding it now, so I am still thinking this is 26 episodes.

The January 4th date also has been edited out. Something else that was not supposed to be mentioned yet?

Either way, I'm excited. Didn't think I would be seeing the English dub of this show at the start of 2014.

Shosai

Banned
For the record, the reason why it's unlikely to hear Blum in a Funimation dub is because Funi is based out of Texas, and he works in LA.

This is why Funi tends to use the same batch of voice actors, they're just the ones that are in the area, and meager VA salaries usually don't warrant flying people to various recording studios.

In fact, you'll notice that many recognizable voice actors tend to be repeatedly cast together on the basis of geography. There's the Funimation batch in Texas, followed by recording studios in Los Angeles, New York, and Vancouver.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
For the record, the reason why it's unlikely to hear Blum in a Funimation dub is because Funi is based out of Texas, and he works in LA.

This is why Funi tends to use the same batch of voice actors, they're just the ones that are in the area, and meager VA salaries usually don't warrant flying people to various recording studios.

In fact, you'll notice that many recognizable voice actors tend to be repeatedly cast together on the basis of geography. There's the Funimation batch in Texas, followed by recording studios in Los Angeles, New York, and Vancouver.

I know Funimation still uses some of the people they used to work with that moved out of Texas and they bring others back for former roles sometimes so there might be a chance, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Funimation has expanded their pool significantly by dipping into the Los Angeles talent pool. They still use their core group of players in Texas as their primary actors, but they do supplement with other talent from time to time.

Blum works remotely and has acted under a number of different pseudonyms over the years (you won't find "Steve Blum" in the credits for either Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, for example), so if he really wanted in, he would try to make it happen.

Fjordson

Wasn't expecting this. Really great news. Can't wait to watch.

Also, the second song in the OP's teaser video is just amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation has expanded their pool significantly by dipping into the Los Angeles talent pool. They still use their core group of players in Texas as their primary actors, but they do supplement with other talent from time to time.

Blum works remotely and has acted under a number of different pseudonyms over the years (you won't find "Steve Blum" in the credits for either Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, for example), so if he really wanted in, he would try to make it happen.

They've cracked down hard on guild members taking non unionized work under false names in the VA world so that shit doesn't happen with the "a listers" anymore.

.la1n

Fantastic news.

43048-Quentin-Tarantino-fist-pump-gi-BMbT.gif

Shows originally planned for 13 episodes that becomes 26 usually dont end well....

This show is planned for infinity episodes. They have a huge number of alien + planet designs and its all old school episodic adventure and junk.

Space Dandy season 56 will be amazing.

Mesousa

Banned
This show is planned for infinity episodes. They have a huge number of alien + planet designs and its all old school episodic adventure and junk.

Space Dandy season 56 will be amazing.

This was literally the planning at FUJI that gave us shit like DragonballZ. lol

Toonami has been doing very well, recently had five shows hit a million viewers in the ratings. As far as War on Geminar goes, well, Tenchi Muyo GXP may have killed that dead.

Good news; I guess (hope?) Family Guy is no longer their breadwinner? Also sad to hear about WOG maybe getting screwed; tbh I had no interest in watching GXP, weird b/c I sure as hell enjoyed the original OVAs, altho the series that came after (introducing all those other women like Washu's mom and stuff) was...odd.

There's no way that...thing would be of any help to Toonami. Worst $80 I've spent in years.

Ouch; sell 'em at least. I can't say if the entire series is good or bad, I've only seen the 1st episode. It didn't drive me crazy and had a good deal of action, but it is just the first episode.

Long overdue Outlaw Star sequel please?
This so much; I love this fuckin' show. Even a spiritual sequel would do.

forcing them to cut the jar jar episodes from clone wars

Wow he can't even get love from the animated series. I almost feel sorry for the....thing.

hopefully the Boondocks is on before toonami and just replaces the Cleveland Show

that's the only bad thing I can think of with this announcement
Yeah those new eps come out next year right? Feels like it took them long enough. I hope they do an episode w/ that little blond haired girl and Riley getting into some shit again, like kidnapping partners or something.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Good news; I guess (hope?) Family Guy is no longer their breadwinner? Also sad to hear about WOG maybe getting screwed; tbh I had no interest in watching GXP, weird b/c I sure as hell enjoyed the original OVAs, altho the series that came after (introducing all those other women like Washu's mom and stuff) was...odd.
Nothing on Toonami comes even remotely close to what Family Guy pulls. Even the absolute top rated shows on Toonami are about middle of the road of all Adult Swim shows for the week, and most of the block is at the very very bottom of the ratings for the week (as in even things that air at 4 and 5 in the morning draw more viewers than Toonami).

Cowboy Bebop has been consistently the single lowest rated show on all of Adult Swim on a week by week basis for a long time. (That will probably be IGPX starting this week.)

Nothing on Toonami comes even remotely close to what Family Guy pulls. Even the absolute top rated shows on Toonami are about middle of the road of all Adult Swim shows for the week, and most of the block is at the very very bottom of the ratings for the week (as in even things that air at 4 and 5 in the morning draw more viewers than Toonami).

Cowboy Bebop has been consistently the single lowest rated show on all of Adult Swim on a week by week basis for a long time. (That will probably be IGPX starting this week.)
That saddens me some; I guess now I can only speak of personal opinion, but there's at least a couple of shows on Toonami that are much higher quality than Family Guy. Even American Dad is better than FG, I feel. Same for Boondocks. But I guess since FG's a comedy and the most accessible kind, that gives it its legs.

That show fell out w/ me a long time ago, though. It would be nice for a better comedy to get its numbers, and realistically I don't expect an anime that isn't DBZ to get those numbers either. Just irksome knowing that, really.

Jacob

Hadn't check this thread for several days; I'm absolutely THRILLED to hear about the Toonami premiere and hopeful about the expanded episode length. I haven't watched Toonami much lately as I've tried to get my sleep schedule back to something reasonable but I still have great memories of it when I was younger and I've been really happy about its success since returning last year. Also, I saw Watanabe speak at Otakon where they showed the trailer and I can't wait for this show. Get hype! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom