• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

I just got the game in the winter sale and ran through a few times. I only made it out of the mines once. Any tips I should know? I don't want to read a full guide, and I know the basics (ghost, girl, idol [if that is what the gold thing is called...], shopkeepers).

I was confused about the shortcut. I got out of the mines, and the shortcut door opened up, but it didn't let me use it when I died. I swear I gave the shortcut guy what he asked for (I forget what it was).

I just got the game in the winter sale and ran through a few times. I only made it out of the mines once. Any tips I should know? I don't want to read a full guide, and I know the basics (ghost, girl, idol [if that is what the gold thing is called...], shopkeepers).

I was confused about the shortcut. I got out of the mines, and the shortcut door opened up, but it didn't let me use it when I died. I swear I gave the shortcut guy what he asked for (I forget what it was).
Tunnel Man asks for multiple favors until he opens up a shortcut, so it's intended that one hasn't unlocked for you yet.

As for basic tips: just focus on making it to the exit of each level while disregarding collecting as much gold as possible to a certain degree. Acquiring high-tier items should also be lower on the priority list for now. In my opinion, as a beginner it's more important to familiarize yourself with the worlds and their respective dangers through observational skills (so also take your time to look up or down) until you're feeling relatively comfortable, before you tell yourself to start focusing on the intricacies of the game's economy. This method is not necessary to improve, but this way it's less daunting to learn the ropes through babysteps prior to committing to the real deal and adapting along the way.

Tunnel Man asks for multiple favors until he opens up a shortcut, so it's intended that one hasn't unlocked for you yet.

As for basic tips: just focus on making it to the exit of each level while disregarding collecting as much gold as possible to a certain degree. Acquiring high-tier items should also be lower on the priority list for now. In my opinion, as a beginner it's more important to familiarize yourself with the worlds and their respective dangers through observational skills (so also take your time to look up or down) until you're feeling relatively comfortable, before you tell yourself to start focusing on the intricacies of the game's economy. This method is not necessary to improve, but this way it's less daunting to learn the ropes through babysteps prior to committing to the real deal and adapting along the way.

Sounds good, thanks.

Cranzor

Wow, unexpected. It's pretty surprising to see a big site like pick the same GOTY I did.

That's a really cool list! Also, I love that your list has Super House of Dead Ninjas in it. That game is awesome.

prodystopian said:

This is one of those games that you just naturally get better at by playing. You'll get more familiar with how the game works every time you die. It may sound like a bad tip, but the best one you can probably get is to just keep playing. Eventually the mines will become a breeze, although that doesn't mean you won't occasionally die there!

Majukun

damn,i'm so bad at this game...there is some kind of hint for beginners or something like that?
or is just that i'm use keyboard instead of a controller?
i can't survive the first two levels -_-

damn,i'm so bad at this game...there is some kind of hint for beginners or something like that?
or is just that i'm use keyboard instead of a controller?
i can't survive the first two levels -_-

Ignore risky treasure, always have a rock or something in hand to set off arrow traps, don't use bombs or rope unless it's really worth it (one bomb or rope to get a crate or damsel).

I've been doing exactly what you guys said and just going straight for the exit except for things that are easy to get. Made some solid progress until I had to get a shotgun to unlock the shortcut for world 3. Finally killed a shopkeeper early in the Jungle and made it! Really enjoying the game.

Playing the Temple a few times has me wondering: Should I be starting to play from the mines now? I have to for the key, but the Temple seems pretty hard without items.

PKrockin

If you're getting comfortable with how the temple obstacles work (as in, not going "oh shit oh shit oh shit" the whole time) and can make it through the mines and jungle sorta kinda reliably then sure, go for an iron man run. Temple's much easier when you have a nice stack of bombs to tunnel your way past the scariest situations and and then use up to make the final boss safer to fight.

mannerbot

I've been doing exactly what you guys said and just going straight for the exit except for things that are easy to get. Made some solid progress until I had to get a shotgun to unlock the shortcut for world 3. Finally killed a shopkeeper early in the Jungle and made it! Really enjoying the game.

Playing the Temple a few times has me wondering: Should I be starting to play from the mines now? I have to for the key, but the Temple seems pretty hard without items.

You should start from the mines every run. As you say, Spelunky is hard without items. :p

Thanks. I made it to Olmec once with the climbing glove and once without. Definitely going to start from the mines now. Feeling better about the Temple now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm back in to spelunky after picking it up on a steam sale.

man my skills have dropped :(

I only do runs to get 'everything' but doing this I've only seen the temple twice in 9 hours.

For the spelunky pros, do you guys ever fuck with the shopkeeper? He's such a prick my god. My golden rule is 'don't piss that guy off' However, I was low on cash and he was holding a jetpack. I went for it, had that and the shotgun and was making it past the level exits with some careful planning, but then yeah, the ankh level..... shit's impossible with a room full of angry shopkeepers.

he's too random and fast to reliably be able to beat. so unforgiving :(

also my biggest gripe with this game is how long the stun time is after getting hit. one slip and then you like there dazed for ages until something comes and repeatedly hits you and restarts the dazed animation. Losing 7 hearts this way is.... very discouraging.

For the spelunky pros, do you guys ever fuck with the shopkeeper?

I kill him the first time I see he has a shop with anything worthwhile in it. I'd never get as far into the game as I do if I didn't whoop his ass every play through. I only ever regret it when I have to spend a ton of extra time at the end of a level trying to kill one of the patrolling shopkeepers waiting for me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I kill him the first time I see he has a shop with anything worthwhile in it. I'd never get as far into the game as I do if I didn't whoop his ass every play through. I only ever regret it when I have to spend a ton of extra time at the end of a level trying to kill one of the patrolling shopkeepers waiting for me.

don't you find you die A LOT from shopkeepers though? You ever go for the secret market? Because if those guys are mad....

don't you find you die A LOT from shopkeepers though? You ever go for the secret market? Because if those guys are mad....

The black market you gotta try and get good position on them. Out of their reach. And lots of bombs.

For the ones near the exits at normal stages, it's all about observing what the best way to approach them is. Since if you do it carefully, you get the first shot.

mannerbot

Learning to fight shopkeepers is an essential skill in Spelunky, and will instantly take your game to the next level. Yes, they're very strong -- in fact, they're probably the most dangerous enemies in the game. However, all this means is that you have to plan your moves out ahead a bit: choose favorable terrain (or create it), fight from higher ground, fight from a distance as they don't start shooting until they're within a relatively short range, and also recognize situations where you don't have to fight them at all.

For the spelunky pros, do you guys ever fuck with the shopkeeper? He's such a prick my god. My golden rule is 'don't piss that guy off' However, I was low on cash and he was holding a jetpack. I went for it, had that and the shotgun and was making it past the level exits with some careful planning, but then yeah, the ankh level..... shit's impossible with a room full of angry shopkeepers.

he's too random and fast to reliably be able to beat. so unforgiving :(

Learning to fight shopkeepers is an essential skill in Spelunky, and will instantly take your game to the next level. Yes, they're very strong -- in fact, they're probably the most dangerous enemies in the game. However, all this means is that you have to plan your moves out ahead a bit: choose favorable terrain (or create it), fight from higher ground, fight from a distance as they don't start shooting until they're within a relatively short range, and also recognize situations where you don't have to fight them at all.
This.

Shopkeepers also aren't that random in how they run and jump around like a guntoting maniac. You can manipulate their A.I. behaviour to a degree; while there will be moments where they move around unpredictably, in some ways you can still use specific timing to consistently get the drop on 'em so that they'll drop their weapon. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to always rob their shop without losing a single heart before you permanently aggro them. Black Market can also be as close as it gets to a self-inflicted death sentence, but even there methods exist to consistently dispose of those shady merchants and acquiring their haul relatively safely.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!

Just played today's Daily Challenge. My god, the first level sucked ass. There was literally two pieces of gold the entire main path to the exit. And all side paths were locked off. So I ended up wasting all 4 ropes and 3 bombs to get to all the goodies I could. Which was a mistake, because the rest of the levels were full of goodies.

I was doing so well from then on. I made it all the way to the Jungle and into level 2-2. When suddenly, as soon as I entered it, the "Found a secret exit" chime played. Could it be? Yes! It was! It was the Black Market exit sitting right there out in the open!

So I entered it. The Black Market! My first time here! What do I do? What do I buy? Junk, junk, junk, slave, oh, a bat! I think I'll whip it! *WHIPCRACK* TERRORIST! *BANG!* Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuckity fuck!

Note to self, do not use your whip in the doorway to a shop.

*sigh*

I really wish I had recorded it. From now on I am recording all my Daily Challenges. It was the best death ever. I'd love to have caught that on video.

$59,125.

Cranzor

I've been trying really hard to get Speedlunky the past few days. I've gotten to Olmec maybe around 7 times but I always blow it. I even ended up beating him once but my time was somewhere around 8:52! So close.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, how the fuck do you get good at this game. I'm playing Classic, not HD, I take things nice and careful, I walk everywhere, I try not to take risks, and in 504 runs I've made it once to 4-1, never further.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, how the fuck do you get good at this game. I'm playing Classic, not HD, I take things nice and careful, I walk everywhere, I try not to take risks, and in 504 runs I've made it once to 4-1, never further.
Practice. Lots of practice. I've only ever made it to 3-2 once. As well as a bunch of secret levels.

And the HD version is soooo good. Definitely pick it up when you can. So much extra stuff. Including all those secret levels that the original doesn't have.

Finished it today again (starting on 4-1). Felt good.

Aside from that, I died twice at the Black Market today. One of the times the shopkeepers were already hostile, so it was pretty much suicide, but I had only one heart remaining and I wanted to see how crazy it would get. The other one I was trying to collect money for the Ankh (was at 45k+) and bombed a Ruby out too close to a shop. I double checked that the blast wouldn't hit any shop squares, but it must extend beyond the floor tiles or something. Ah well.

I also met an early demise in the castle today. Embarrassingly, it were the Jiang-Shi and frogs that drained most of my health. :D

I've been trying really hard to get Speedlunky the past few days. I've gotten to Olmec maybe around 7 times but I always blow it. I even ended up beating him once but my time was somewhere around 8:52! So close.
You can use this method to speed up the process of having Olmec groundpound his way towards a fiery death, if you haven't been doing that already.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the first time ever tonight I was killed by my screensaver.

I play on OS X under Parallels in Windows 7. My OS X screensaver was set to 20 minutes. I had my Xbox 360 controller plugged in. And since it was attached to Windows, and not OS X, all inputs were only going to Windows, so OS X didn't know I wasn't idle. So after 20 minutes, the screensaver activated. Usually I have no problem. I pause the game immediately and wiggle the trackpad. But for some reason the computer froze at the screensaver loading screen. I had to force shut down.

And the worst part is IT WAS MY BEST RUN YET. Fuck.

So I have now set it to an hour. Sucks so much. I was pissed.

mannerbot

For the first time ever tonight I was killed by my screensaver.

I play on OS X under Parallels in Windows 7. My OS X screensaver was set to 20 minutes. I had my Xbox 360 controller plugged in. And since it was attached to Windows, and not OS X, all inputs were only going to Windows, so OS X didn't know I wasn't idle. So after 20 minutes, the screensaver activated. Usually I have no problem. I pause the game immediately and wiggle the trackpad. But for some reason the computer froze at the screensaver loading screen. I had to force shut down.

And the worst part is IT WAS MY BEST RUN YET. Fuck.

So I have now set it to an hour. Sucks so much. I was pissed.

Did you get a journal entry for that?

Daigoro

holy fuck. just made it to the city of gold for the first time ever. (Vita version)

im embarrassed how long it took me to actually do it, but im so happy i had to post it.

YAY!!! fuck!

Daigoro

I hope you bombed all the things as a fitting celebration.

lol i dont think i even made a dime (i wasnt online at the time anyways). i had to pause the game because im at work, so i returned about 30 minutes later, totally out of the zone i was in, ran straight to the exit and got shot dead by a shopkeeper. fucking doofus. of course he'd be there since i had to rob the black market. i was all out of wack. no idea what i was doing. im sure i had a buttload of bombs too. so dumb!

s'ok though. now that i broke the curse i plan on going back and getting rich bitch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Did you get a journal entry for that?
No! For some strange reason it's an undocumented death type. Death by computer suddenly and abruptly having its power shut off is amazingly not in the journal!

If you ask me, it should. They could name it "Death by sudden non-existence".

Daigoro

fuck. just made it to 4-2 with everything i needed and i slipped up and got crush trapped to death. standing just a hair over the edge of a tiki trap. careless. 360 version this time.

oh well, close. im sure ill get back soon. want to see hell one of these days.

Daigoro

Got to city of gold on 360 now. I've leveled up apparently. felt real good finally getting that achievement after so long.

as long as I keep putting in the time, I should be able to get to hell with some more effort.

mannerbot

Got to city of gold on 360 now. I've leveled up apparently. felt real good finally getting that achievement after so long.

as long as I keep putting in the time, I should be able to get to hell with some more effort.

Good to hear it, I'm sure you'll beat Hell soon. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I got to a shop with a jetpack and for the first time had the $20,000 required to purchase it.

I sat for 5 minute debating whether or not to waste the money. In the end I decided to grab it.

On the very next level I found a jetpack in a box.

Hovering around the level I found an idol. Figured I didn't have to waste a rope this time and grabbed the idol. But I forgot that the jetpack has a fuel limit. And that I was holding down the jump button.

The jetpack ran out of fuel just in time for me to fall down the wall right as the boulder flattened me against the cold hard rock. The timing could not have been better.

My new favorite stupid death and I wasn't even recording it.

The 8th of January Daily Challenge was killer. Had to make due with 0 bombs starting from 1-3 (not even Olmec's Lair provided any) and I couldn't feasibly collect the Key + Chest for the Eye with how I used up my resources. I left my one chance to unlock the Black Market behind at 1-2 too; I was contemplating between the shotgun to deal with shopkeepers and the Mattock, only to foolishy (in hindsight) opt for the former as I expected more bombs along the way.

Still ended up 66th on the leaderboards, but the seed sure made me work for it every now and then.

My new favorite stupid death and I wasn't even recording it.
Setting up a smooth Twitch.tv stream through OBS isn't too hard provided you have a decent Internet connection (2k - 2,5k bitrate is good enough for Spelunky) and after enabling the settings related to the low latency mode in order to eliminate input lag. Otherwise consider using Shadowplay if you have an nVidia card with the Kepler chipset. Both of these are free.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know why I got caught up in this?

s8PDNjT.jpg

Punishment from Kali? Any way to get rid of it (next time)?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone know why I got caught up in this?

s8PDNjT.jpg

Punishment from Kali? Any way to get rid of it (next time)?
Ah. This is an interesting story.

The ball and chain is a punishment from Kali if you destroy, I believe 3 of her altars.

It is supposed to be indestructible, but....

Well, just watch some of these videos...

http://youtu.be/VugTr4eFTmQ?t=44m36s
(BaerTaffy discovers a glitch that comes in handy for other players later on...)

http://youtu.be/LGrPeu5NWk0?t=39m23s
(Bananasaurus Rex's infamous "Eggplant Run".)
Watch from 39:23 to 40:35.

mannerbot

The Ball and Chain is a punishment for destroying two of Kali's altars, though there is an additional punishment for destroying a third. And don't you dare try to deny it Skyzard, there's incriminating evidence right in that screenshot!

I'd recommend that you not watch the videos The Real Abed linked, or only watch the relevant timestamps that he suggested. There are a ton of cool secrets in this game for you to discover, and you should save these big moments in Spelunky history for later. If you ever feel like you've seen all there is to see in Spelunky, load them up and have your mind blown.

To answer your question, you can temporarily get rid of it by dropping it in lava or crushing it (don't want to specify where, but if you've gotten that far you'll know what I mean). However, the Ball and Chain will respawn on the next level. There's also the glitch that BaerTaffy discovered that The Real Abed linked which destroys it permanently. Additionally, there's a special ending for finishing the game with the Ball and Chain...

Skyzard

Banned
Thank you guys for the explanations and carefully linked videos. Bananasaurus Rex, such a crazy idea! Don't fully understand the Baer video but I think I'll rewatch it after
I've killed the second boss

So much awesomeness in this game. I'm being slightly more careful not to spoil too much more now that I know how to get to hell, just feels awesome when you see something new for the first time. Even managed to get my close friends hooked on the game (pulling them away from Dota 2 somehow).
I hope the creator goes on to make another game or even a content patch for Spelunky, not that it's missing much (wall-jump boots?) but I've just been so impressed how it's all been put together that it'd almost be a shame if he didn't keep giving us moar!

Awesome that you get a different ending for completing it with it, it was so much fun moving around with the ball and chain and so different, would be a shame not to play more with it (like on purpose)

NoPiece

Worst end of game ever today (and i've played 107 hours). I was doing the daily, was at level 1-4, had 7 health, the jetpack, and ton of money. I had cleared the level, saved the damsel, recovered the statue, and was just picking up some random gold and stuff. There was a crate in the bottom right of the level, behind two layers of dirt. I planted a bomb and was hovering about 10 spaces to the left, trying to be really safe and far away from the blast. Unfortunately, the blast sent a rock flying right at me, knocked me out of the air, and I landed, stunned, right on the Shrine to Kali, where I was instantly sacrificed, 5 health still left. Damn you Spelunky!!!!!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd recommend that you not watch the videos The Real Abed linked, or only watch the relevant timestamps that he suggested. There are a ton of cool secrets in this game for you to discover, and you should save these big moments in Spelunky history for later. If you ever feel like you've seen all there is to see in Spelunky, load them up and have your mind blown.

Yes, definitely only watch the timestamps if anything if you're still new. (Or don't watch anything at all until you are ready.)

Also, the methods I've seen so far for removing it: (Don't read if you don't want mild spoilers and want to try for yourself.)

Drop it out of the map (Only in ice caves where there's no bottom, you need to have climbing gloves at least to make sure you can escape once it's gone.)

Drop something heavy on it. (For instance, a Thwomp in the Temple. I don't know for sure as none of the streamers I've seen ever get to him with it, but Olmec may possibly be able to crush it too.)

And it does come in handy in one place which is seen in the video above. That's all you need to know. Just remember,
once you have it, you can't get rid of it until at least the Ice Caves and Temple.
(Spoiler related to the above)

Or you know, just don't destroy the altars. The only real reason to do it is for
the Eggplant Hell Run
. (Another spoiler unrelated but a really awesome thing only a few people have done so far.)

mannerbot

Yes, definitely only watch the timestamps if anything if you're still new. (Or don't watch anything at all until you are ready.)

Also, the methods I've seen so far for removing it: (Don't read if you don't want mild spoilers and want to try for yourself.)

Drop it out of the map (Only in ice caves where there's no bottom, you need to have climbing gloves at least to make sure you can escape once it's gone.)

Drop something heavy on it. (For instance, a Thwomp in the Temple. I don't know for sure as none of the streamers I've seen ever get to him with it, but Olmec may possibly be able to crush it too.)

And it does come in handy in one place which is seen in the video above. That's all you need to know. Just remember,
once you have it, you can't get rid of it until at least the Ice Caves and Temple.
(Spoiler related to the above)

Or you know, just don't destroy the altars. The only real reason to do it is for
the Eggplant Hell Run
. (Another spoiler unrelated but a really awesome thing only a few people have done so far.)

I think you can also get rid of it (temporarily) in the jungle if you
have the shield

Skyzard

Banned
So many clever tie-ins with the mechanics (I know one is a glitch lol, but generally too), love this game. (I know about the ghost and
lava
too).

Thanks again guys.

Any levels with clouds or wall-bouncing items? If not it seems like there is room for more! Would a drill, double-speed potion/slowmo gun or bionic commando swing be too much? :p I'm down for any dlc or sequel/next game from the devs.
Also there was something kinda puzzling me about the start menu with the items that sometimes get attached to the spearheads that come out as you select an option. It doesn't seem like they appear randomly but haven't figured it out yet, maybe I should just keep at it.

So many nice little touches, you can tell it was made with love.

Top Bottom