• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speshal Nick [XboxEra]: Jason Ronald not Leading Next-Gen Xbox design (Replaced by Surface team).

damiank

Microsoft's Xbox Series X :

19f4881becdcdcf7f82011a445b99ec8.gif

fans :

tumblr_inline_pswphsEE6d1r15usg_500.jpg

meanwhile Sony :

tumblr_inline_pswphru0rX1r15usg_500.jpg

the result :

tumblr_inline_pswpmc0mDA1r15usg_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_pswpo2mrPi1r15usg_500.jpg
tumblr_inline_pswpo2nk5n1r15usg_500.jpg
Sup regular sized console

Quasicat

It wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft was looking at the PC model as they are taking a better shot at Steam, either through their own store refresh or an outright acquisition.

Ozriel

M$FT
LOL, when's the last time you ever saw someone using a Microsoft Surface?

They hate the free promotional ones everyone gets in the NFL so much that players are regularly seem throwing them on the ground in anger and coaches resort to using pen and paper on the sidelines to draw up plays. For years, the announcers were referring to them as 'iPads' on live television and it became such an issue that MS had to go and tell them the script on how to refer to the things.

Surface encompasses much more hardware and form factors than the ‘Surface Pro’ tablet. The tablets themselves started off as clunky Windows PCs and crippled Windows RT stuff that people hated. These days, they’re quite well received.

Why are so many of you clueless about tech?

Last edited:
LOL, when's the last time you ever saw someone using a Microsoft Surface?

They hate the free promotional ones everyone gets in the NFL so much that players are regularly seem throwing them on the ground in anger and coaches resort to using pen and paper on the sidelines to draw up plays. For years, the announcers were referring to them as 'iPads' on live television and it became such an issue that MS had to go and tell them the script on how to refer to the things.
Broooooooooo stop it. You are making a fool out of yourself. Holy shit! This NEVER happened. Stop trollposting. It's clear you hate the brand, but Jesus you didn't have to make it THAT obvious.
People like a challenge you know.

They've been selling like hot cakes the last decade. Only since last year there is a decline. Stop pretending you are so anti-MS that it comes across as being oblivious and fucking ignorant.

He's probably the one who blew smoke up Phil's ass leading up to that e-mail where he boasted to Nadella and Hood that the Xbox Series was a better product than the PS5.

Ozriel

M$FT
Broooooooooo stop it. You are making a fool out of yourself. Holy shit! This NEVER happened. Stop trollposting. It's clear you hate the brand, but Jesus you didn't have to make it THAT obvious.
People like a challenge you know.

They've been selling like hot cakes the last decade. Only since last year there is a decline. Stop pretending you are so anti-MS that it comes across as being oblivious and fucking ignorant.

The stuff about NFL folks disliking the Surface RT, calling it an ‘iPad like device’ and blaming it for issues are all news items…from 2014. A decade ago. Thats what he’s surfacing

Fast-forward to modern era and the deals - and the devices - are being hailed as a success story and Surface hardware is widely used in the NFL.

Between that and the clown having never heard of Surface Laptops before, it’s weird to imagine people being clued into gaming but being ignorant about tech trends. One would have thought there’s a significant amount of overlap. Perhaps just mindless trolling?

Ozriel

M$FT
That said, I’m not sure why this is an active thread since the Nick fellow is unreliable and this is a rumor that can’t be fact checked until 3 years from now.

The Surface team have also made some baffling hardware choices in the past that I strongly dislike, like failing to add a USB-C port for years until the outcry became too much, and not using the latest hardware in their devices.

Engineering wise, they’re absolutely top tier. Just some weird choices with components.

The stuff about NFL folks disliking the Surface RT, calling it an ‘iPad like device’ and blaming it for issues are all news items…from 2014. A decade ago. Thats what he’s surfacing

Fast-forward to modern era and the deals - and the devices - are being hailed as a success story and Surface hardware is widely used in the NFL.

Between that and the clown having never heard of Surface Laptops before, it’s weird to imagine people being clued into gaming but being ignorant about tech trends. One would have thought there’s a significant amount of overlap. Perhaps just mindless trolling?
I suspect the latter. Either that or he's clueless and I pity the fool.

JaksGhost

Off-topic but I randomly met and spoke with him last September in Bothell at Tavern on the Square. I was there with a friend from high school and the conversation consisted of the weather, music, and travel since I was visiting from Texas. Nice guy with his family and at the time I couldn't pinpoint where exactly I knew him, but I knew I had seen that beard from somewhere. That somewhere is here.

They create a series of emulators for each of the previous gen and it will be another thing for the hypervisor to manage.
MORE LAYERS! MORE!
Nah, this is different. You're switching your whole API by switching GPU manufacturers and as it stands, each solution is a custom one. The amount of power a next-gen console will require to play current-gen titles would be pretty damn high, especially for the resolutions and frame rates and that's not how Sony and MS roll. Next gen consoles need to stay in the realm of high adoption rates. What you are asking for is a $1200 console, but what they want to release is a $500 console to appeal to the masses. Microsoft struggled with porting Xbox games (Intel/nVidia) to Xbox 360 (IBM Power PC CPU / ATI GPU) they even had a hard time porting Xbox 360 games to Xbox One (AMD SOC) and converted them on a case by case basis. The reason Xbox One games work so well on Xbox Series is because they stuck with the AMD SOC, therefore all Xbox One games work on Xbox Series. Same goes for PS4 to PS5. But to this day, you cannot natively play PS3 BC titles because of the emulation barrier and the amount of power you would require trying to emulate the CELL processor. We all know there are PS3 emulators out there for PC, but when you port to a console with a customized hardware and API, it's far more difficult.

Last edited:
He's probably the one who blew smoke up Phil's ass leading up to that e-mail where he boasted to Nadella and Hood that the Xbox Series was a better product than the PS5.
Meaning GIF

It is a better product. The X performs slightly better in applications (often 1080p vs 900p native resolution on PS5), much better in UI, and is available at a lower price point. The Series S as well outside of applications being scaled down relative to other two. With most games being cross-gen Series S runs the majority just as well on lower end TVs and monitors.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Ahead of the launch, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t think the Series X was more powerful on paper. I’m not sure why you’re pitching this as an outrageous statement, or why it bothered you so much.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ahead of the launch, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t think the Series X was more powerful on paper. I’m not sure why you’re pitching this as an outrageous statement, or why it bothered you so much.
That is what you want from your experts, pure echo chamber hype based on paper specs and underestimating the other companies... There were the ones that thought it was wise to boast and those that thought they would be neck and neck...but the dynamic clock speeds, true RDNA2, etc... etc...
This is revisionist history at this point...

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
That is what you want from your experts, pure echo chamber hype based on paper specs and underestimating the other companies... There were the ones that thought it was wise to boast and those that thought they would be neck and neck...but the dynamic clock speeds, true RDNA2, etc... etc...
This is revisionist history at this point...

the irony 🤣

Not sure the relevance of this line of discussion anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom