• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speshal Nick [XboxEra]: Jason Ronald not Leading Next-Gen Xbox design (Replaced by Surface team).

Topher

Gold Member
Said it in another thread he openly chuckled about the PS5s SSD solution saying the Xbox would win all head to head comparisons with that extra power.

Microsoft overpromised on the power, Sony overpromised on the SSD.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I would say their best chance was against Playstation.

Playstation under Cerny's influence is really good, so I don't really agree with that.

Especially given how focal the gaming segment is for the entirety of Sony Corp.

Tarnpanzer

Said it in another thread he openly chuckled about the PS5s SSD solution saying the Xbox would win all head to head comparisons with that extra power.

If you really program your games to use every CU of the SX, he is not wrong though.

But almost nobody did this, because it was not worth the effort. "Good enough" was good enough for most Devs in regards to the SX-version.

PS5 with less CUs but with higher frequencies was way easier to utilize.

Last edited:

XXL

Playstation under Cerny's influence is really good.

Especially given how focal the gaming segment is for the entirety of Sony Corp.
I agree with that. But Steam and Nintendo have soooo much mindshare (on PC and Handheld), because they have no real competition in their respective spaces and haven't for a long time. Playstation has been splitting the market with Xbox for a while now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The performance gap between the PS5 and Series X has widened with time, as most people assumed it would. It isn't major, but it's notable enough for DF and other sites to mention.

No, it hasn't. Some games perform better on PS5. Some games perform better on XSX. Most games perform exactly the same. It's been that way all gen long.

Last edited:

onQ123

Why does everyone say the s was a failure? My understanding is that the majority of Xbox units sold are the s. Or no?

It's like the people who still blame Kinect for Xbox One not being as good as PS4 they just found something to blame & stuck with it.

Without Series S it wouldn't be a Series X now things are better than they would have been if MS even tried to push Series X on its own.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I agree with that. But Steam and Nintendo have soooo much mindshare (on PC and Handheld), because they have no real competition in their respective spaces and haven't for a long time. Playstation has been splitting the market with Xbox for a while now.

I think its important to give MS credit where it due. What Series S/X do is actually very impressive from a firmware/system-software perspective. Maintaining backwards compatibility -even through recompilation- on top of supporting all these different hardware configurations is no small thing.

What's hurt is that although it does facilitate this, its still a lot more work for devs to accommodate, and for publishers to work with due to the various parity edicts and policies that its attached to. It wouldn't be so bad perhaps if Cerny wasn't making a huge pitch for developer friendliness on Playstation - from a third party planning perspective it really puts the blue brand in the driver's seat when it comes to picking lead SKU's.

As time goes by and more target platforms and performance profiles need factoring in, I can imagine Xbox devs finding it increasingly frustrating. I mean its evident at this stage the reduced memory and memory bandwidth of Series S versus X can be a major headache (Baldur's Gate for example), adding a further higher-tier target on top is likely to make things even more difficult and offputting. So maybe, now's a good time for them to maybe do a more comprehensive rethink of how their entire pipeline works.

Audiophile

Me, looking at all those Nvidia x86 APUs avaliable for sale out there:
lP5KNcA.jpg
I wonder if a custom Intel APU might be a pretty great play for a new gen of hardware, assuming they're capable of getting a beefy GPU on there.

Their new laptop chips are brilliant and their GPUs seem to be moving towards featureset parity with Nvidia faster than AMD (RT & XeSS for eg.).

AMD x86 + Nvidia would probably be ideal but working with them both could get a bit squirrely.

I think MS need a few curveballs if they're gonna try and persist in the hardware space; and an Intel APU might be the most straightforward route for making a more performant box.

Last edited:

Del_X

more evidence it’ll follow a windows-like model.

I’m 100% fine with this if it means the next Xbox is a truly multi-purpose device and closer to SteamOS.

eerik9000

Huh, is there even a Surface team left at Microsoft? Didn't they get rid of it and lay-off a bunch of people last year? Panos Panay is also gone.

Shin-Ra

The good old days, when that MS guy came on here and straight up lied to us. That clown, forgot his name... "We invented DirectX" guy.
Edit: Albert Penello.
Starts off fairly reasonable.

Jumps off the deep end.

Topher

Gold Member
In what way? First party games have near instant loading with few third party games being just as fast.

The SSD being leverage for gameplay purposes is a engine limitation if it's not being leverage and most games aren't using current gen features much.

Maybe "overpromised" is the wrong word. It was definitely overhyped. Either way, we got fast loading and that is about it except for one game.

Last edited:
I’ve had many surfaces and love them. Super small, work great. If Xbox is working in a portable device, the surface team helping with that honestly makes me more excited about the prospect.

Series X, while pretty and compact, is the most overengineered boutique device that was never deisigned to be a massive success. Reminded me first revision of phat PS3. Daughterboard, vapour chamber, custom external SSD... It's too expensive to produce and too difficult to ramp-up when needed. The die size alone is a pain.

We can laugh at PS5's size all we want, but Sony made all the right concessions for a speedy and sustainable production, along with minimal architecture bottlenecks while undercutting both S and X in retail just by removing the BD drive.
Series S was just downright bad idea.

So yeah, good luck, if true. Nice beard tho.
Comparing him to Cerny's work is like comparing an old Samurai, who has mastered his entire technique and life's work, to Tom Cruise's character in The Last Samurai.

I think he did a great job with the S actually. I know round here it's not liked but being an owner of one I find it amazing how tiny it is and what it can produce.

DJ12

I thought the surface team were already involved with designing xboxs, guess the news is just that NotCerny McStupid Beard is no longer in charge.

Sony

Nintendo
Read the words carefully. It says: "will not be in charge of Microsoft's next gaming device".
The next Xbox console doesn't have to be the next gaming device. If it's anything other than a gaming console, a Switch / Steam Deck like handheld for example, it would make sense for the Surface team to be in the lead.

The biggest downer here is that Panos Panay isn't on the Surface team anymore.

Does the surface team has a good track record on making hardware that anyone cares about?
If it means anything, my surface laptop 3 got a cracked screen. It's a known issue and Microsoft released a statement on it. My laptop was out of warranty by one month and they wanted 600 dollars to fix a known hardware defect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom