• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Controversy: Gamers Are Stupid and Don't Know Sh*t About Development

ChiefDada

Gold Member
We are stupid, so I will use few words and rely on pictures instead from Insomniac Games' GDC 2020 Conference discussing Ratchet & Clank Development process. I won't risk underestimating how high our level of ignorance can reach, so I will hold your hand in directing your attention to the dates listed on the bottom corner of each picture. Link below for the smart one's among us who wish to learn more.

Nyjy0F8.jpg

UZ8FqKP.jpg

HesTuoA.jpg

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The game looks great. I'm a Switch gamer so for me it looked a bit better than TotK visually, a tad.

However, it does seem like people have expectations from PS5. I'm not sure what those are, they prob don't know what they are, but they have them, and it didn't meet those. Therefore, game sucks. And that's kinda what you get when the focus is just 60FPS4KRTS+

I personally thought the gameplay looked very outdated with so many QTE, the game looked on-rails. But again, I'm coming from TotK that's a bit more interactive, a tad.

Last edited:

ungalo

Consumers/gamers shouldn’t have to know about that stuff though.

If you choose to show something and people think it looks bad you probably shouldn’t have shown it to begin with.
Even saying that sounds like damage control to me, they showed what they believed was good, it's Sony we're talking about, they make the most impressive presentations all the time, let's stop lying to ourselves.

What they showed about Rift Apart in the first trailers was more or less what the game was at launch, it wasn't the equivalent of the first picture or even the second one.

Here the launch of Spiderman 2 is only a few months away so the pictures are even less relevant.

The presentation wasn't visually impressive for a true next gen game and that's it, people should stop crying about it. That's just the reality.

SABRE220

Sigh mental gymnastics to blame gamers but perish the thought of the heretical act of questioning the holy devs that can do no wrong. The devs are charitable and are blessing us with the development of games. Expectations are the signs of the unbeliever and all that...my god man wth are you upto...

Questioning a disappointing output is not some hate crime. Most of the guys who were disappointed already deservedly praised Ratchet and spiderman 1 from the same devs to high heavens which set expectations based on the devs pedigree not to mention they themselves released a far more impressive release trailer and were hyping the trailer as a jaw-dropper for a year as a ps5 exclusive meanwhile crossgen games and release titles ended up more impressive.

Linking an article from gdc did not provide any special insight to us "braindead gamers"...only made you come across as arrogant and presumptuous.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
The game looks great. I'm a Switch gamer so for me it looked a bit better than TotK visually, a tad.

However, it does seem like people have expectations from PS5. I'm not sure what those are, they prob don't know what they are, but they have them, and it didn't meet those. Therefore, game sucks. And that's kinda what you get when the focus is just 60FPS4KRTS+

I personally thought the gameplay looked very outdated with so many QTE, the game looked on-rails. But again, I'm coming from TotK that's a bit more interactive, a tad.
Watching the meltdowns from Sony fans after the showcase I now understand better just how infuriated the graphics wenches must be that a game without top of the range visuals could receive universal acclaim from consumers and critics alike- TOTK...it challenges their belief system for what constitutes "good" or "acceptable"..

It's like an atheist taking apart a religious practice or belief and making fun of it....not pleasant for them at all. Hence the meltdowns.

But what's the end game? Do these folk realise that there are serious diminishing returns to visual fidelity? At some point people are not going to buy games with great gameplay if the Digital Foundry analysis shows any framerate drops or a poor implementation of ray tracing...that's the path these folk are on...ever higher standards and ever less space for imperfections.

Last edited:

Puscifer

This trailer said it was captured on PS5 and everything about it looks worse by the time it was revealed. It looks like Miles Morales on PS4 Pro with better shadow coverage. You can't tell me if this was true how obvious the downgrade is TWO YEARS LATER. It's not even like puddle gate, this is worse in every fashion.

Then again, the PC versions of Spiderman takes a beastly GPU to run with all it's RT effects so maybe that's the price you pay. I don't expect a miracle upgrade in fidelity to come out of this and you'd be foolish to expect it at this point with the game coming out in what amounts to a few months unless it's delayed.

Last edited:
It's obvious it's gonna improve.

By how much, that's the question. Will it even release in 2023 if people are expecting Horizon Forbidden West comparable graphics?

Ratchet was a much smaller game with no open world whatsoever, so improvements in that came quick and were obvious.

Robb

Gold Member
they showed what they believed was good
That’s true for any dev though. 343i obviously thought Halo Infinite looked good enough when they showed it initially, it definitely didn’t.

I personally think Spider-Man 2 looks great though. If the show wasn’t as poor as it was I doubt people would be complaining as much, if at all. Being the only relevant first party game at the show kind of puts it in the spotlight, which means people will complain when that one game doesn’t blow them away.

Last edited:

ungalo

That’s true for any dev though. 343i obviously thought Halo Infinite looked good enough when they showed it initially, it definitely didn’t.

I personally think Spider-Man 2 looks great though. If the show wasn’t as poor as it was I doubt people would be complaining as much, if at all. Being the only relevant first party game at the show kind of puts it in the spotlight, which means people will complain when that one game doesn’t blow them away.
Some studios have higher standards and games are different, it's a part of Sony's identity to have this kind of games with presentations blowing people away, and as you say yourself, it's not that the game looks bad or anything. It's just not the graphical juggernaut we were expecting 3 years after the PS5 launch, rightfully so in my opinion.

For Rift Apart, Demon's Souls remake, even Horizon, there was no controversy. Not only because it was the beginning or because Horizon was crossgen, but the games looked stunning as well.

Last edited:

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

I love TOTK (55h in so far) and it's currently my GOTY, but this argument ain't it. lol

Robb

Gold Member
It's just not the graphical juggernaut we were expecting 3 years after the PS5 launch, rightfully so in my opinion.
Definitely, the initial reveal trailer looked waaay better than what we’re supposedly getting. I totally get why people are disappointed.

radewagon

Quite the conundrum that OP has created.

If OP is right:
  • Gamers are stupid.
  • OP is a gamer.
  • OP is stupid.
  • If OP is stupid, then OP's original assertion is likely wrong.
  • If OP is wrong, then gamers are smart.
  • If OP is smart, then OP is right.
  • Repeat.
If OP is wrong:
  • Gamers are smart.
  • OP is a gamer.
  • If OP is smart, then OP is right.
  • Gamers are stupid.
  • OP is a gamer.
  • OP is stupid.
  • If OP is stupid, then OP's assertion is likely wrong.
  • Repeat.
Confused Thinking GIF

Top Bottom