• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 million copies in the first 24 hours

DavidGzz

This is incredibly weird post. People have different tastes, play different genres, have all kinds of obligations, want to wait for bugs to get fixed (and Spider-man 2 has some that aren't just in the title). What the heck does any of that have to do with being "casual"?

Someone could have been playing BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk Expansion, or a ton of other games that they picked up over last couple of years or playing retro games. People have lives (shocking I know) so most can't play 10 hours a day or whatever the heck being "non-casual" here means.

Not buying a game Day 1 is frankly a smart move considering bug fixes, performance optimization, additional features (like NG+), and so on that will come next few months. Not to mention $70 + tax (or even higher outside US) isn't a small chunk of change to just dump immediately on release. We aren't talking about folks playing Candy Crush here, lol.

Nah, they buy it within the first couple of months means they wanted it but are just more casual and could wait or didn't even know it was out. It isn't that deep. It's been a while since the last exclusive. They're just more casual than the majority of PS fans in here. Plain and simple.

CGNoire

Well it may be not be due to warring but it was very short sighted. You really don't understand why gamers are happy when games do well and further you don't see why this is good for gamers?
Its the corporate cheerleading that triggers me. Good for gamers? As if SM2 had any chance of bombing or not getting a sequel? My issue is every piece of corporate advertising via twitter gets its own thread and what that says about gamers relationships with those corporations. Its not about "sales data" or the content of this particular tweet.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Tell me how insecure you are about your game selling without telling me. Face it, casuals make up the vast majority of sales. It isn't so serious or require flinging insults lol
I'm not trying to make it look bad, I said "it goes to show how most sales come from casuals." Like I said twice now. It's going to sell an insane amount in the end but most sales are coming much later than I would expect from an anticipated game. Why are people getting so salty about my opinion about who buys games? Lol

You said

2.5 seems low for such a huge userbase.

People say dumb stuff like this and then get defensive lol

It's a ridiculous statement and people are shaking their heads.

How many HUGE games sold more than 2.5m copies on the PS platform alone in a single day?

anothertech

Fucktards don't realize these sales are beating the shit out of ALL the main platform exclusive game sales in history lol

Trying to use playerbase percentages and shit as if that has anything to do with sales.

Phil's magic spin doin the work on these fools.

Topher

Gold Member
Goes to show how the vast majority of sales are from casuals. Word of mouth must be huge. Maybe they simply didn't know it came out and it will continue to sell really well as more and more people find out it's out. 2.5 seems low for such a huge userbase. I know it isn't before I get quoted, it just seems low when there are so many PS5s out there and no big exclusive in a while.

The first game sold 3.3 million in its first three days and that included bundles which this game doesn't have. And that was with an install base of around 90 million PS4s. 2.5 million sold in 24 hours on an install base half that is impressive.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Sci Fi Lol GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

Unknown?

Yeah, this is one of those omg moments in gaming.

I just wish certain ppl would stop being disingenuous about it. MS had first dibs at it and said no thanks, Activision hit Marvel with the good luck meme.

Looks whose laughing now.
Imagine the trash we'd get if Microsoft accepted. It would have been just as bad or worse than Activision. Spidey would have had doritos and mountain dew ads all over it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, this is one of those omg moments in gaming.

I just wish certain ppl would stop being disingenuous about it. MS had first dibs at it and said no thanks, Activision hit Marvel with the good luck meme.

Looks whose laughing now.

What is really strange about it is that Microsoft had the answer right in front of its face. They partnered with Insomniac on Sunset Overdrive but somehow couldn't see the stars aligning when it came to Spider-man becoming the massive hit that Sunset wasn't. Massive lack of vision from Phil Spencer on that one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What is really strange about it is that Microsoft had the answer right in front of its face. They partnered with Insomniac on Sunset Overdrive but somehow couldn't see the stars aligning when it came to Spider-man becoming the massive hit that Sunset wasn't. Massive lack of vision from Phil Spencer on that one.
Exactly.

Ppl forget that Insomniac was still third party when they made Spider-Man PS4.

That's what I've been saying about Phil for years he just lacks vision from a creative standpoint but maybe he's only there to drive revenue and it's probably why he's so short sighted

graywolf323

That's what I've been saying about Phil for years he just lacks vision from a creative standpoint but maybe he's only there to drive revenue and it's probably why he's so short sighted
he’s a great salesman, he’s very good at selling things to their fanbase & clearly the C-Suite, but he’s not about to design a great car

I mean the decline in quality at Xbox Game Studios started around the time he took over as the head of it back in 2008, and his later hire of Matt Booty has not paid off there either

True....that was a big miss. Seems like it happens to them a lot. It's has happened to Sony as well though. They have to be kicking themselves for not buying Fromsoft after Demons Souls.

Seemed like a really fun game and glad to see it doing well. Wish they could have excluded the modern day woke crap but we all know Sony can't help themselves.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Returned mine unfortunatley. My patience has run thin with Sony inserting modern day woke crap into their games. 30 minutes in and i have to deal with anti-gun messaging and i read about the other BS they included as well. Maybe i'll pick it up when it's cheaper. Seemed like a really fun game.
A lot of modern games insert progressive ideas into their games (hell, Forza now includes pronouns, for example). It's not just a Sony thing. On top of that, when did it become so difficult to just ignore these things?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I’ll probably end up getting this. played and beat the first one and the morales spin off so I’m familiar with the characters and story and how the game plays I don’t have to spend time learning the universe and mechanics and can jump into it faster

A lot of modern games insert progressive ideas into their games (hell, Forza now includes pronouns, for example). It's not just a Sony thing. On top of that, when did it become so difficult to just ignore these things?
Unfortunatley they have become so in your face it's impossible. Unless we tell them to stop they never will. I know how to be a good person without people from California telling me how to.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Unfortunatley they have become so in your face it's impossible. Unless we tell them to stop they never will. I know how to be a good person without people from California telling me how to.
I'm about 30% in and none of that has been in my face. It's just an enjoyable experience with progressive ideas (ironically, Marvel has always been progressive). I won't deny myself a good time, though (because I am surely not for catering to progressive ideas all day).

//DEVIL//

Out of curiosity, how many copies usually cod sell in its opening day / week ?

Because sure as fuck MS is going to blast that next month lol.

dezzy8

Goes to show how the vast majority of sales are from casuals. Word of mouth must be huge. Maybe they simply didn't know it came out and it will continue to sell really well as more and more people find out it's out. 2.5 seems low for such a huge userbase. I know it isn't before I get quoted, it just seems low when there are so many PS5s out there and no big exclusive in a while.
You must work for square enix.

sendit

Sorry, I was just saying probably one of the biggest IPs in all of pop culture being made into a 90+ MC game by the biggest gaming company in the world with a 41 million console base should do a little better than a quarter of what Tears of the Kingdom did, but hey still pretty great.

In relation to user base of a platform within a 72 hour period

Switch:TOTK
7.72% of users picked up the game.

PS5:SpiderMan 2
10% of users picked up the game.

In conclusion...

//DEVIL//

They most likely won't, because to "blast that", they'd have to admit that the PlayStation version was the biggest by a loooooooooong shot. I don't see that happening.
Nope. All they going to say cod sold x million cross all platforms and it's the biggest game they ever released lol.

Also if I am not mistaken, PC sales are high too for that gsme ( I am one of them at least on PC )

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

He said one of his big life achievements would be if he acquired Nintendo as someone working at MS for the Xbox brand!!!!

MrA

Banned
The first game sold 3.3 million in its first three days and that included bundles which this game doesn't have. And that was with an install base of around 90 million PS4s. 2.5 million sold in 24 hours on an install base half that is impressive.

Wut?

Anyway still doing great though, wonder if they'll announce 1 week total or if they'll announce 5 million which I think will come first

Topher

Gold Member

damidu

lol phil can't vision his nose while looking into a mirror.
we are talking about someone whose big career dream is buying mario with daddy's money.

Wish we got the 3 and 5 day numbers to compare to other Sony titles.

As it's Spiderman I'd expect it to sell more on name alone. But obviously just cause it sold more on day 1 doesn't mean it has sold more by day 5 although I expect it has

Insomniac making these Marvel IP games is free money since they come with guaranteed users as long as you don't do a terrible job like that Avengers game. Though since it's licenced I'm sure Sony need these games to be more a lot more successful than original IP to make the same amount of money.

Marvel14

Banned
Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?
Can't believe my post got deleted and yours is kosher...

In my post I asked where in this thread are the naysayers who want to shit on Spider-man 2's success. Here you are on pg1 and I'm deleted for "trying to instigate" on pg7...

You can't make this shit up sometimes: Pythonesque 🤣

I'm about 30% in and none of that has been in my face. It's just an enjoyable experience with progressive ideas (ironically, Marvel has always been progressive). I won't deny myself a good time, though (because I am surely not for catering to progressive ideas all day).

Valid point. Might give it a shot again down the road. Who knows. Just irritated with anything woke at this point.

CGNoire

Can't believe my post got deleted and yours is kosher...

In my post I asked where in this thread are the naysayers who want to shit on Spider-man 2's success. Here you are on pg1 and I'm deleted for "trying to instigate" on pg7...

You can't make this shit up sometimes: Pythonesque 🤣
My post had nothing to do with SM2. I was commenting on a pattern of thread making here and the relationship it suggests between consumers and corporations post social media.

Marvel14

Banned
My post had nothing to do with SM2. I was commenting on a pattern of thread making here and the relationship it suggests between consumers and corporations post social media.
Your post was "why does anyone give a shit about this?" In a thread fuil of people who do. Wasn't going after you...think you're entitled to ask.

I just find it funny that you asking " who gives a F...?' Is ok but me asking "is anyone on here shitting on the thread's subject matter?" Is considered "instigation".

As you were.

Top Bottom