• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 million copies in the first 24 hours

CGNoire

For months LOL, the so-called "graphics whore" not using the same energy on the very recent "built-from-the-ground-up" Forza and "next-gen exclusive" Starfield, wonder why?
What "energy" am I using? I already mentioned I hate the relationship that has formed between fans and Big corporations since social media. This thread could of just as easily been about any games sales record.Of course SM2 broke records. It was always going too.

nial

Gold Member
Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?
Spider-Man 2 being the fastest selling game published by Sony Interactive Entertainment is in no way irrelevant.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

You must have missed the 24hrs part. And also the part where its predecessor took 3 days to even break that milestone.

Then again who are we kidding, even if it sold 10Min 24hrs I am sure you would have figured out some negative way to spin it.

Anyone who didn't buy it on day one is a casual to me. Wtf are you missing? I always complain about sales when it's a huge game and it's selling to 5% of the userbase. It's odd to me that more aren't buying the biggest game in a long time. I bought it and it's awesome. Where are you getting spin from me? Sensitive fanboys, I swear.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Anyone who didn't buy it on day one is a casual to me. Wtf are you missing? I always complain about sales when it's a huge game and it's selling to 5% of the userbase. It's odd to me that more aren't buying the biggest game in a long time. I bought it and it's awesome. Where are you getting spin from me? Sensitive fanboys, I swear.
Is the percentage to the userbase a new metric to make all games that aren't Mario or Zelda look bad on sales?

DavidGzz

Is the percentage to the userbase a new metric to make all games that aren't Mario or Zelda look bad on sales?

I'm not trying to make it look bad, I said "it goes to show how most sales come from casuals." Like I said twice now. It's going to sell an insane amount in the end but most sales are coming much later than I would expect from an anticipated game. Why are people getting so salty about my opinion about who buys games? Lol

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'm not trying to make it look bad, I said "it goes to show how most sales come from casuals." Like I said twice now. It's going to sell an insane amount in the end but most sales are coming much later than I would expect from an anticipated game. Why are people getting so salty about my opinion about who buys games? Lol
I'm not really talking about your opinion or anything else, just haven't really seen anyone else talk about sales in percentage to the userbase which is quite odd as far as metrics go.

DavidGzz

I'm not really talking about your opinion or anything else, just haven't really seen anyone else talk about sales in percentage to the userbase which is quite odd as far as metrics go.

I don't think it's odd to use that metric. I think it's odd that a large percentage of users of a console don't buy the console's biggest games. But I also can't understand casual gamers since I'm not one.

Seems that it's similar to the percentage of casuals, who don't visit gaming forums, vs. us more hardcore gamers. They outnumber us by A LOT.

Skifi28

I don't think it's odd to use that metric. I think it's odd that a large percentage of users of a console don't buy the console's biggest games. But I also can't understand casual gamers since I'm not one.

Seems that it's similar to the percentage of casuals, who don't visit gaming forums, vs. us more hardcore gamers. They outnumber us by A LOT.
I don't even think it's about just "casuals". Unlike Nintendo where most of the userbase will buy into the platform for Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, most users on a console have very varied tastes. Sure, there's the usual Fifa/COD crowd but there are also many "hardcore" people that are into their own niche games and don't just play whatever Sony releases. Which is why it makes it a strange metric to use, unless we're trying to talk about gamer's varied tastes, the only other reason to use it is to try and downplay sales. Not saying this is what you specifically tried to do, just saying, I also don't have a horse in this race and I'm mostly an observer.

Slikk360

People buy the games they want when they can afford too. Not everyone is going to run out and buy a game day one.
Everyone on a console or pc has different taste just maybe not a Spider-Man, GTA or Demon souls game. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

DavidGzz

I don't even think it's about just "casuals". Unlike Nintendo where most of the userbase will buy into the platform for Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, most users on a console have very varied tastes. Sure, there's the usual Fifa/COD crowd but there are also many "hardcore" people that are into their own niche games and don't just play whatever Sony releases. Which is why it makes it a strange metric to use, unless we're trying to talk about gamer's varied tastes, the only other reason to use it is to try and downplay sales. Not saying this is what you specifically tried to do, just saying, I also don't have a horse in this race and I'm mostly an observer.

The game will sell 5x this number in a month, more or less. Those non day 1 buyers are kind of casual to me. That's all I'm saying. Are the people who buy it a month from now not fans of the genre? Doubt it. They are just more casual. But yes, it could also be money situation. Kids pestering their parents for the game or having to wait until their birthday.

damidu

its extremely stupid metric,
only a braindead 50 yo console warrior would use as a sad spin.

by same logic totk could only reach %7 of switch players with 10 mil 3 day sales.

but these are the same morons, who is trying to equate dloads to to full price sales, what can you expect?

DavidGzz

its extremely stupid metric,
only a braindead 50 yo console warrior would use as a sad spin.

by same logic totk could only reach %7 of switch players with 10 mil 3 day sales.

but these are the same morons, who is trying to equate dloads to to full price sales, what can you expect?

Tell me how insecure you are about your game selling without telling me. Face it, casuals make up the vast majority of sales. It isn't so serious or require flinging insults lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Spider-Man 2 fastest selling 1st party PlayStation game in history. Should be approaching 5m already then.

So Ragnarok sold less than 2.5m in 24 hours, but over 5.1m in 5 days. Interesting. That gives some insight into launch day vs the days that follow in terms of sales distribution in games. Would have thought launch day would have been over 50% of first week sales honestly but it seems not.

That was on a console that sold over 100 million also though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?

Because sells matter to the games that gamers get to play. But you already knew that. Now you just mad.

Yeah but he actually comes off very badly, you simply can't downplay that amount of sales regardless of how you put it.
well, if console warring actually required a certain amount of intelligence, your confusion would be more understandable. but, as things are,...

Last edited:
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Sony needs that nintendo like sales from its certified bangers. Its the only way we are getting a Death Stranding trilogy.

RGB'D

Insomniac is the best. Game rocks. Wish it was simultaneous with PC for even more frames but it looks great and is so much fun.

Nubulax

The thing that gets me is when I have seen a Starfield PLAYERS comparison to Spiderman 2 sales. The fact only 6mil/ then 10 mil PLAYERS were in Starfield can be spun into a MASSIVE L if you want. If we assume 30-35 million gamepass subs that means 80% of people who LITERALLY could play the game FOR FREE on their gamepass skipped playing Bethesdas newest huge game and the largest game from MS/Xbox in years. What a massive L. Even when it hit 10 mil that means not even half the people that can play it for free with their gamepass have even played a minute of it. Thats much much worse imo

Not to mention any mention of "install base" is hilarious considering what is PCs install base... 100+ million, 200 million... 300 million+ when MS games are all now PC + Xbox.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The game will sell 5x this number in a month, more or less. Those non day 1 buyers are kind of casual to me. That's all I'm saying. Are the people who buy it a month from now not fans of the genre? Doubt it. They are just more casual. But yes, it could also be money situation. Kids pestering their parents for the game or having to wait until their birthday.
This is incredibly weird post. People have different tastes, play different genres, have all kinds of obligations, want to wait for bugs to get fixed (and Spider-man 2 has some that aren't just in the title). What the heck does any of that have to do with being "casual"?

Someone could have been playing BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk Expansion, or a ton of other games that they picked up over last couple of years or playing retro games. People have lives (shocking I know) so most can't play 10 hours a day or whatever the heck being "non-casual" here means.

Not buying a game Day 1 is frankly a smart move considering bug fixes, performance optimization, additional features (like NG+), and so on that will come next few months. Not to mention $70 + tax (or even higher outside US) isn't a small chunk of change to just dump immediately on release. We aren't talking about folks playing Candy Crush here, lol.

Elios83

Great achievement especially considering it's exclusive to a console that is still in the process of building it's installed base.
I expect the game to continue to sell really well and to boost sales of PS5 throughout the upcoming holiday season.
Just like reading certain tweets posted in the thread I expect some people to continue to find creative ways to badly hide how salty they are about this success:messenger_grinning_sweat::pie_gsquint:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man 2 is guaranteed 10 million you got updates, we all recommend it, hours of gameplay it’s about longevity and Spider-Man 2 has it.

CGNoire

Because sells matter to the games that gamers get to play. But you already knew that. Now you just mad.
Ive already explained more than once why I made the post if you want to know you can read my post history instead of implying I give a shit about console wars or that Im emotionaly invested in whether sm does well or not. I couldnt care less either way. If you read my orginal post about why I posted that you would see the irony in any console warrior accusations Im recieving.

Unknown?

Ive already explained more than once why I made the post if you want to know you can read my post history instead of implying I give a shit about console wars or that Im emotionaly invested in whether sm does well or not. I couldnt care less either way. If you read my orginal post about why I posted that you would see the irony in any console warrior accusations Im recieving.
Well it may be not be due to warring but it was very short sighted. You really don't understand why gamers are happy when games do well and further you don't see why this is good for gamers?

Gamerguy84

Great for Insomniac. I've spent a few hours with the game but haven't went beyond the beginning training with
sandman

I have just been going around th3 city admiring the different views and playing with swinging and flying mechanics. It's been fun but I need to start the story.

Top Bottom