• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-man modder banned for replacing pride flag with the American flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while and did not see a thread on the forum. Might be that not a single major gaming site is reporting this. If the topic is deemed political, mod please close the thread.

I don't have much too say other than repeating I have no hope for western games for a foreseeable future.

https://www.thegamer.com/spider-man-remastered-modder-banned-removing-pride-flag/

The open world used by Spider-Man and Miles Morales is a marvellous recreation of NYC that is filled with Easter Eggs and details that keen-eyed explorers can discover, and which also includes touching tributes to the various communities that inhabit the great city. So players can find several Pride flags adorning town hall buildings throughout the map.

A modder going by the name Mike Hawk (har har) uploaded a mod that replaces the rainbow flags with the American flag. The mod page proceeded to quickly fill up with comments, with haters using the chance to vent homophobia alongside other useless witterings, while others pushed back and called out the homophobic mod.
ezgifcom-gif-maker-(21).jpg
The mod appeared online for less than 24 hours, however. Nexus Mods confirmed to We Got This Covered that the 'Non-Newtonian New York' mod has been removed, and that its creator's account (as well as an alt account) have been banned. A spokesperson for the site said that the mod creator "is no longer welcome on Nexus".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: So someone found out apparently this isn't even an originally created mod, guy just used the assets exiting in the game for Arabic/ Middle Eastern localization.

Last edited:

saturnalian

I was thinking about this earlier.
It's literally just a mod to replace the flag texture.

Last edited:

Stuart360

And people say the woke agenda doesnt exist. You WILL eat up our lgbtq propaganda, and you WILL like it.
Mods can, and always have, been able to change pretty much what they want ina game, but you cant change this agenda drivel. If people want to change this shit, they should be allowed to.

Also as a non American, whats with the hate towards the US flag i'm increasingly seeing online?. I thought it was something that people respected?.

Last edited:
And people say the woke agenda doesnt exist. You WILL eat up our lgbtq propaganda, and you WILL like it.
Mods can, and always have, been able to change pretty much what they want ina game, but you cant change this agenda drivel. If people want to change this shit, they should be allowed to.

Also as a non American, whats with the hate towards the US flag i'm increasingly seeing online?. I thought it was something that people respected?.
It once was. This country is now filled with brainwashed sjw women and beta effeminate cucks who take pride in hating the USA.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It once was. This country is now filled with brainwashed sjw women and beta effeminate cucks who take pride in hating the USA.
I noticed a lot of sjw's on Steam hating on the US flag in paticular. Are they suggesting that if you're proud of your country you're racist. homophobic etc?. I see them hating on Christianity too, something very big in the US.
Who the fuck put these loons in charge of what we can and cant like or see?.

I noticed a lot of sjw's on Steam hating on the US flag in paticular. Are they suggesting that if you're proud of your country you're racist. homophobic etc?. I see them hating on Christianity too, something very big in the US.
Who the fuck put these loons in charge of what we can and cant like or see?.
They’re an extremely vocal minority (I hope?)

It’s really hard to tell how widespread this plague is as the crazies tend to make the most noise.

The fact that Trump got elected only 5 years ago fills me with a sliver of hope.

kikii

my english is not perfect but i read some comments, and wtf Insomniac has to do anything with Nexus Mods bans ? :p

Stuart360

By the way that quote from the Nexus encapsulates everything wrong with sjw's. Mod taken down and user banned. They just assumed the mod was homophobic related and the guy isnt welcome on the Nexus anymore. 'We must cancel hiiiiiiim!'.
Yes if you are against seeing this stuff in our games and entertainment you MUST be a nazi loving homophobe who has a shrine to Hitler in their bedroom. I dont give a shit what people get up to, and who they do it with, what stupid thing they identify as. It doesnt mean i want this shit in my face constantly in a fucking Spiderman game. I game to escape this clown world, not to be just as bomabarded with it in my escapism.
Cunts the lot of them.

Last edited:

Paltheos

That's silly. It's replacing one innocent asset with another one. I can't say the modders' intentions are pure but you can't presume hate from this (He's not uploading flags saying 'fuck the gays'). Bandwagoning, overzealous SJWs is itself a point of bandwagoning around these parts though, so I'll leave it at that.

Note: I've read the topic. I understand this is not an independently developed mod. You know that's not the story.

Was it only the pride flags that were replaced? Were other types of flags also replaced (if other types actually exist in game)? If it's the former, I guess then the mod authors intentions does seem a bit suspect. If Nexus believes ill intent then it's fair they ban it from their platform.

All in all its a big hoopla over nothing. Most players wouldn't have even noticed a few pride flags I assume. But now it's just turned into another woke/ant-woke battle and highlighting how companies policy towards LGBTQ stuff is grossly inconsistent.

Apocryphon

tbf insomniac themselves might not even know about this, could've been just a job from Sony's localization team. So its a bad look for sony if true.
That's a good point, but would it have been Sony that produced the alternative textures for the game?

Robb

Gold Member
That's a good point, but would it have been Sony that produced the alternative textures for the game?
I don’t think they’d need to make anything, just replace it, there are already a lot of flag textures included in the base game.
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fd0e3a3455fbb8cbc806c965732a78da3.jpg

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Game has plenty of US flags already so they'd just to replace the rainbow ones with those
Insomniac or Sony's localization team, it's a bad look either way if they are selectively accommodating cultural and religious opposition to stuff like pride flags in foreign markets but don't allow for the same cultural and religious opposition in the "free" west.

Gotta make that money I guess. Same stuff happens in a lot of films and that's bulshit too. They should stand by their ideals even if it means their profit margins are smaller.

karasu

There will be classes taught on how you types have absolutely mangled the meaning of the term 'woke.'

Soodanim

Gold Member
If Nexus has reason to believe the mod was uploaded with malicious intent, then that should be communicated. You can have mods for near enough anything, and this could have been used to make a reverse mod for the versions that have the flag enabled by default. So the mod, or modder, needs to either have history of or put something in the mod description to give reason for the ban and removal.

Ban the homophobic comment makers, ban hateful stuff. But in and of itself, a mod than sets a flag from FALSE to TRUE is not malicious. If it really was just that, then it was too much. But I saw none of it, so I can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom