• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Stupidity Thread (athletes, managers, teams, etc...)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's two recent beauties. Boris Becker going to prison for bankruptcy shenanigans and Hope Solo is a drunk.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Hope Solo is one goddamn idiot; who got high off the smell of her own farts.

Thank goodness her twins weren’t hurt in her most recent escapade.

For me, it’s still between this moron:

Or this idiot:

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Michael Vick has to be close to the top of the list. While I appreciate his contribution to my username, the Ron Mexico thing should have been more than enough for his off-field shit.

But of course not.

Smoke6

Michael Vick has to be close to the top of the list. While I appreciate his contribution to my username, the Ron Mexico thing should have been more than enough for his off-field shit.

But of course not.
Like what’s your deal with him bruh? He did his time and you’re still kissed at him right? The world will never get right with people like you in it!

No amount of good he does can ever negate the acts committed against an animal but I’m quite sure you’re out here keeping all the animal shelters empty on a daily basis right? Smh

Ron Mexico

Like what’s your deal with him bruh? He did his time and you’re still kissed at him right? The world will never get right with people like you in it!

No amount of good he does can ever negate the acts committed against an animal but I’m quite sure you’re out here keeping all the animal shelters empty on a daily basis right? Smh

Might want to relax a bit there. As far as the dogfighting, he paid his dues and that's all fine by me. That said, Vick as a person as Vick as a football player are different arguments.

From a football perspective (as this is about the stupidity of sports figures), he was in his absolute prime when that happened. He had flashes in Philadelphia after coming back but a Vick that doesn't spend 2 years away from the game in his prime doesn't end up going out with a whimper as a backup with the Jets and Steelers.

Vick in the playoffs at Lambeau was one of the most unreal sports spectacles I've ever seen. Now imagine what that could have been.

My point stands. Generational talent undone by an incredibly stupid decision.

Are these only for recent sporting news/events, or anything from any time in history? Because if the latter, this thread can get pretty fun...

Also Hope Solo is an idiot. I remember a buddy being all excited and telling me about her leaked nudes back when those came out. I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be sexy pictures, or if she was performing a colonoscopy 😂. (aka pics were not sexy at all, they were gross as hell. Serves me right for listening to that friend of mine in the first place...)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are these only for recent sporting news/events, or anything from any time in history? Because if the latter, this thread can get pretty fun...

Also Hope Solo is an idiot. I remember a buddy being all excited and telling me about her leaked nudes back when those came out. I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be sexy pictures, or if she was performing a colonoscopy 😂. (aka pics were not sexy at all, they were gross as hell. Serves me right for listening to that friend of mine in the first place...)
Can be whatever you want. I just made it because I noticed a couple recent articles in my original post. I'll probably trend to recent stuff though as there's enough dopiness on a weekly basis.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was thinking about putting this in the covid thread, but close enough.

NHL playoffs have been best in a long time with tons of game 7s. The Dallas/Calgary game just ended in OT with Cgy's Gaudreau scoring. All the players, coaches and fans..... everyone in the entire rink has no mask except the Sportsnet rinkside reporter after the game ended.

Covid stupidity still going on.

(Heads up, for anyone who wants to check out hockey and isnt familiar with the game, check out round two Edmonton vs Calgary. Battle of Alberta will probably be the best series in the whole playoffs. Calgary one of the best teams, Edmonton has the best player in the league with McDavid (and arguably the second or third best player with Draisaitl depending where someone puts MacKinnon), and these teams since the beginning have always hated each other for 4o years).

79LRsIT.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the Leafs choking in game 7 again wasnt bad enough (Mitch Marner cried), he also got robbed of his Range Rover earlier tonight at a movie theatre. The one at Queensway/Islington! You can see that one from QEW.

Vehicle belonging to Toronto Maple Leaf Mitch Marner carjacked in Toronto: sources​

By Hannah Jackson & Catherine McDonald Global News
Posted May 16, 2022 9:18 pm
Updated May 16, 2022 10:58 pm
Toronto Maple Leafs Mitch Marner speaks to reporters after a locker clean out at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, on Thursday, April 25, 2019.

Police are investigating after a vehicle belonging to Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mitch Marner was carjacked in Toronto on Monday evening, sources say.
In a tweet, Toronto police said the carjacking occurred in area of The Queensway and Islington Avenue at around 7:46 p.m.
Officers said a man was robbed of a Black Range Rover.

Police said there are three suspects — two with handguns and one with a knife.

Police told Global News the victim was uninjured.

Officers said the suspects fled the scene in the vehicle.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NBA is back on TV in China.

But remember when all the NBA execs and players shut their mouths about China (except those 1-2 players or managers who spoke out)?

Get a good long read at this. $10 billion in investment up for grabs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MLB players do their own fantasy pools. Tommy Pham accused Joc Pederson of cheating with player rosters so during warmups he argued with the guy slapping him. Got suspended 3 games for it. Then Pederson said Pham did the same cheating roster move too.

Fucking losers! LOL

Reds' Pham suspended three games for slapping Pederson​

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Tommy Pham on Saturday said he agreed to a three-game suspension for slapping San Francisco Giants outfielder Joc Pederson in the cheek over a fantasy football dispute prior to Friday's game.​

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Tommy Pham on Saturday said he agreed to a three-game suspension for slapping San Francisco Giants outfielder Joc Pederson in the cheek over a fantasy football dispute prior to Friday's game.
MLB said Pham was suspended for "inappropriate conduct" and was also fined. The suspension was retroactive to Friday and runs through Sunday, when the Reds' series with the Giants concludes in Cincinnati.
On Friday, Pham had confronted and smacked Pederson while the Giants warmed up in the outfield. The pair had to be separated.
Pham on Saturday said the dispute stemmed from an old text sent by Pederson to the fantasy league's group chat in which Pham says Pederson disrespected his teammates on the San Diego Padres, for whom he played last season.
"I slapped Joc," Pham told reporters Saturday. "He said some s--- I don't condone. I had to address it.
"... It was regarding my former team [Padres]. I didn't like that and I didn't like the sketchy s--- going on in the fantasy. We had too much money on the line, so I look at it like there's a code. You're f---ing with my money, then you're going to say some disrespectful s---; there's a code to this."
Pederson declined comment Saturday.

Reds manager David Bell said he talked to Pham about what happened, but declined to share what he said.
"I just want to make sure we're ready to play a baseball game today,'' Giants manager Gabe Kapler said. "Joc has handled it very well. We can always talk about being non-reactionary. He was able to manage everything that happened.''
On Friday, Pederson said he was accused of cheating for placing a player on injured reserve and replacing him with a free agent in a fantasy football league. Pederson said the player he put on IR had been ruled out for that week, which made it a legal move. He said Pham had executed essentially the same maneuver with his own team.
Pederson said he had no advance notice that Pham might confront him during the series in Cincinnati.
"It was a surprise," Pederson told reporters on Friday. "There was no real argument. He kind of came up and said, 'Like, I don't know if you remember from last year.' And I was like, 'Fantasy football.' He was like, 'Yeah.'"
Pham threatened violence to settle an on-field score with San Diego's Luke Voit in April, challenging the slugger to a fight after Voit injured Reds catcher Tyler Stephenson with a hard, ugly slide into home.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More to the Tommy Pham fantasy pool incident. Turns out he took offence to Joc Pederson's GIF he posted in the pool's chat board. So it was two parts, Pederson's roster move pissing him off with money on the line, and the GIF making fun of SD's collapse last year. It seems the pool also had lots of SD players in it, yet they didnt care, only him (Pham also played for SD last year).

Last edited:

chris121580

Scott Dixon today. He was practically a lock to win the 500 and sped in the pits before his last stop which caused him to be penalized and go a lap down

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gabe Kapler using the national anthem to protest the school shootings by kneeling. But he balked at doing it this afternoon since it was Memorial Day. Going by the red line I highlighted, it looks like he'll stand or sit when he feels like it.

San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler stood when the national anthem was played before his team's game against the Philadelphia Phillies on Memorial Day.

Kapler, who began his protest against the direction of the nation on Friday, stood by himself at the railing of the Giants dugout during the playing of taps during the holiday ceremony, which was followed by a rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner'' by a military bugle company.

A few other San Francisco players stood on the chalk line past the third-base bag during their stretching exercises.

"Today, I'll be standing for the anthem," Kapler said Monday on his blog. "While I believe strongly in the right to protest and the importance of doing so, I also believe strongly in honoring and mourning our country's service men and women who fought and died for that right. Those who serve in our military, and especially those who have paid the ultimate price for our rights and freedoms, deserve that acknowledgment and respect, and I am honored to stand on the line today to show mine."

Kapler had been avoiding the field during the national anthem as a protest after last week's school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, but he said Sunday that he was considering suspending his protest in light of Monday being Memorial Day.

"I'm very comfortable taking it day by day," Kapler said Sunday of his protest. "I think I'll just decide what makes the most sense in the moment."

"Memorial Day is an important day in our country's history and a special day and a unique day," he said. "I find it to be one that deserves special attention."

On Friday, Kapler used his personal blog to discuss the mass shooting Tuesday that left 19 children and two teachers dead in Texas. The attack occurred just 10 days after a gunman espousing racist hatred killed 10 Black people at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York.

"Every time I place my hand over my heart and remove my hat, I'm participating in a self congratulatory glorification of the ONLY country where these mass shootings take place," Kapler wrote on his blog.

Kapler said he was not ready to announce whether his protest will resume on Tuesday night.

"The days move really fast,'' he said. "We're going to come out and talk about Giants and Phillies today and we'll get into the game and then we'll spend some time trying to get away from the game. Then the game starts the next day. I want to have my thoughts perfectly formulated. I will formulate them and I will share them. I just don't have them right now.''

Joe Girardi replaced Kapler as Philadelphia's manager following the 2019 season.

"Everyone has a choice in this country, right?'' Girardi said. "I mean that's what America is founded on. It's not the choice that I'll make. But with all the choices we make in life there are consequences, no matter what you do, so you have to be prepared to explain why you do things in this world. And it's not something that I would do.''

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Canada' soccer national team refused to play a friendly match against Panama. Initially, they didnt play a planned match vs. Iran due to politics, so Panama stepped in. The Panama team was in Vancouver ready to play and right before the game the Canadian team refused to play unless they get a big pay hike and deal from soccer feds.

The sticking point is they a much bigger cut of the money the soccer federation gets. Another article said the team signed a 10 year deal in 2019 with the terms set in place. But since the team did great making the world cup, they are renegging and want a new contract or they wont play going forward.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just a continuation of Canada's mens soccer team. No deal yet but back to training.

Even dumber. Part of their demands was equal % prize money for mens and womens teams. But today the women's team said no and they want equal pay $$$, not %. So they are against what the men's team proposed for them.

So look like both teams didn't even talk to each other about clarifying federation demands. Idiots. lol

Top Bottom