• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five Top Female Players Accuse U.S. Soccer of Wage Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

how does hope solo still have a career?

She's an absolutely awesome goalkeeper.

Granted her ability to punch a ball from within her 6 yard box can probably be attributed by the fact she practices on her family members faces, but you can't take away from the fact she's kind of in a class of her own as far as womens goalkeepers go.

Also this is kind of seems like one of those things where the guys just draw bigger crowds. The Womens US Soccer squad is awesome but no matter how well they do, they'll never be as popular as the mens team. The worst attended US Mens matches in the World Cup would still absolutely dwarf the numbers that turn out for the Womens games so there probably is less funding to swing that way.

I think our Aussie girls Soccer team is better than our means too, but they don't get nearly as much recognition.

In both instances though you have to admit the Mens World Cup is a far bigger event and it's far more tightly contested, there are maybe a handful of teams in Womens soccer that are really WC contenders and the rest make the numbers where the mens can have any up to two dozen teams that are very capable of winning it.

Iorv3th

How is this possible? Even as a Scot living across the ocean I could name lots of them. Many of the US Men's team squad play in the top and most famous leagues in the world. There is no way you shouldn't be able to name them, unless all you watch is International football or something, which would be weird since club football is the creme de la creme of the sport.

Pretty much only watch international. It's really hard to watch club football over here because it for the most part isn't on television unless you pay for an expensive package and even then you might only get some games.

Even MLS games with local FC Dallas i can't watch on TV consistently enough.

It's annoying because I like soccer and watching it, but I can't get into it watching one game every few weeks. Then some of the games that are broadcast happen while i'm at work or odd hours.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
But surely this all depends on what the actual goal of the body that's paying these guys and girls to play for the national teams is, no? Are they there to make themselves profit? Or are they there to try and win as many tournaments as possible? Because the example given here - and I don't know if it's true but I see no reason why it wouldn't be - suggests that these two goals could lead to differing pay structures depending on which you choose.

Edit: Also, how many more people in the US watch world cup games that don't have the USMNT playing in them because the USMNT is in the tournament, who otherwise wouldn't be watching? IE they get into the World Cup (in the same way the Olympics gets people interested in sports they don't care about outside of that 3 week period every 4 years) and the revenue this pulls in? It's basically impossible to quantify but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This is also the case for the women's team, naturally.
Exactly, and when you consider that US men play overseas in much bigger leagues it becomes even more complex. I think that's why it's so frustrating to see people posting like this is some clear cut thing

Daemul

Pretty much only watch international. It's really hard to watch club football over here because it for the most part isn't on television unless you pay for an expensive package and even then you might only get some games.

Even MLS games with local FC Dallas i can't watch on TV consistently enough.

It's annoying because I like soccer and watching it, but I can't get into it watching one game every few weeks. Then some of the games that are broadcast happen while i'm at work or odd hours.

Ah yes I hadn't taken into consideration the time zone factor, many games in Europe would either take place during the early morning or mid afternoon in the US.

I feel you on the TV package, shit can be expensive and if you have odd broadcastings times you'll miss many of the matches and eventually start asking yourself why you even pay for shit you barely get to watch.

Women should get paid more but something is off with those numbers. Every time I watch a womens match the stands are practically empty and wasn't Canada handed the Womens World Cup essentially unopposed because no one cares about it?

Because most people buy in bulk and sell for insane prices on resell sites? Like -_-... This is normal for almost every event.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm not sure of the different contracts and pay structures and all that, but at the very least, shouldn't the women be getting paid more than men for non-fifa games, if they bring in more?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Yes, I'm saying that if they make the decision to risk injury/fatigue for way less pay then that is completely on them. It isn't incumbent on the national federations to insure/compensate them for this. If it isn't worth the risk they shouldn't play. Compensation is a totally separate issue and should rely on income produced.

As stated before, the US mens basketball team salaries are probably equivalent (or more) to any international soccer team in the world (once scaled for only having 12 players) and they get paid nothing. The players have to decide for themselves if it is worth the risk of injury and exhaustion. Some players opt out for those very reasons.

I did earlier state that I think if you are playing for your country you should be doing it for nothing, a lot of footballers do give the money to charity. But then by default women shouldn't be either?

Anyways whilst I don't want to have to digress to crappy simple point

• Men are paid more in football because mens football is more popular globally
  • According to Forbes Real Madrid is currently worth 3.26 billion dollars, second only to the Dallas Cowboys
  • I think women should be paid more, but I also think it has nothing to do with equality, they should just be paid more because what they do is hard and it is becoming more popular, however in this thread it has been inferred that womens football is more popular. With the very limited and vague numbers in the thread you have not proved this and I'd place a hefty figure that it being untrue
  • Saying that national leagues have nothing to do with it is ridiculous
  • HighResTomato just posted some helpful stats that show this is not as clear cut as a lot of you seem to think
]

Dazzler

another point worth mentioning - The US Women's National Team plays a lot of games against absolute jobbers, they're head and shoulders above the rest

The US Mens' National Team often plays the best in the world, their standard of competition is WAY higher

gutshot

This pretty much validates my thesis, which is that the men's team is more popular overall and that the women's team's perceived popularity is due to their performances in the big events (World Cup and Olympics). My guess is that this is likely reflected in the revenues as well, with the men bringing in more overall, but the women occasionally having good quarters or years where they bring in equal to or more than the men.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
As stated before, the US mens basketball team salaries are probably equivalent (or more) to any international soccer team in the world (once scaled for only having 12 players) and they get paid nothing. The players have to decide for themselves if it is worth the risk of injury and exhaustion. Some players opt out for those very reasons.

The thing is, US Soccer can't afford to have their top players not to play. USMNT was 2-4 players away from losing to Guatemala and not qualify to the World Cup, which would be disastrous for the men sport in the country, while almost any ensemble of NBA players can be competitive at the world stage. Lebron isn't coming to the Olympics? He probably wasn't motivated anyway. Dempsey is injured? PRAY TO THE FOOTBALL GODS!

Various updates:

- SI: U.S. Soccer responds to USWNT's wage complaint
In a statement released Thursday afternoon, U.S. Soccer pointed to its efforts to promote women's soccer.

“Our efforts to be advocates for women's soccer are unwavering. For 30 years, we have been a world leader in promoting the women's game and are proud of the long-standing commitment we have made to building women's soccer in the United States and furthering opportunities in soccer for young women and girls around the world. This includes leading the successful campaign to introduce women's soccer in the Olympics in 1996, the inclusion of prize money for the Women's World Cup, and the establishment and support of the National Women's Soccer League, which is now in its fourth year of play.

We are committed to and engaged in negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement that addresses compensation with the Women's National Team Players Association, to take effect when the current CBA expires at the end of this year. U.S. Soccer will continue to be an advocate on the global soccer stage to influence and develop the women's game and evolve FIFA's compensation model.

After three unsuccessful attempts by private entities to maintain a women's professional league, U.S. Soccer committed to investing in and administering the National Women's Soccer League to ensure our women's players would have an ongoing professional environment in which to continue their careers. As part of this, Women's National Team players are paid full-time salaries and other compensation.

Development initiatives also remain a top priority for U.S. Soccer and we are continuously looking for innovative ways to facilitate player development at all levels. Since 2012, U.S. Soccer has employed a Women's Technical Director and invested in full-time coaches for the Youth Women's National Teams. Just recently, we announced the launch of a Girls' Development Academy Program in the fall of 2017 to further assist in maximizing female youth player development across the country. We are committed to continuing to elevate women's soccer in the future at all levels.”
- SI: U.S. Soccer president responds to USWNT's wage discrimination claim
• U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati argued that the U.S. women do not generate as much revenue as the U.S. men’s team over a four-year World Cup cycle—a federation spokesperson said the men have generated nearly twice as much revenue as the women during that time—and Gulati added that revenue generation should be taken into account in the men’s and women’s collective bargaining agreements with U.S. Soccer.

My specific question to Gulati was: Do you think the U.S. women deserve to be paid equally to the U.S. men by U.S. Soccer, and if not, why not?

“I don’t want to use the word deserve in any of this,” Gulati said. “I’d reverse the question: Do you think revenue should matter at all in determination of compensation in a market economy? If we look at the track record of teams, a lot of different things go into the compensation for the players … Part of it is based on revenue, part of it is based on revenues that accrue from international competitions, part of it is based on incentives and the performance of the teams. All of that goes into it. We think very highly of the women’s national team, we want to compensate them fairly and we’ll sit down and work through that with them.”

As for revenue generation, Gulati added: “It is absolutely part of the equation, sure. And from everything I’ve heard with the players, they agree with that.”

• U.S. women’s player lawyer Jeffrey Kessler had told SI.com that the timing of the women’s action was due to U.S. Soccer communicating in CBA negotiations that the women would not get as much as the men in their new CBA. U.S. Soccer lawyer Russell Sauer denied that claim. “I can tell you categorically along with the other U.S. Soccer participants that statement or anything even remotely along those lines was never said,” argued Sauer, who said he has been at all three meetings in November, February and March.

• Sauer reiterated U.S. Soccer’s position that the women’s CBA is in place until December 31, 2016, based on the memorandum of understanding signed in 2013. The U.S. players maintain the CBA is no longer in place. A court in Chicago is expected to rule on the existence of the CBA in early June.

• A U.S. Soccer spokesperson disputed the revenue figures presented in the U.S. players’ complaint. “During the last four years, the men’s revenues have been significantly higher than the women’s national team,” the spokesperson said. “The numbers provided in the complaint at times are inaccurate, misleading or both. And looking at a single year doesn’t provide the entire picture. If you look at four or eight years cumulatively, the men’s national team revenues are almost twice that of the women’s national team.”
The spokesperson added that U.S. Soccer has invested approximately $10 million in the NWSL in the last three-plus years; that from 2011 to ’15 the U.S. men had an average home attendance of 29,781 to 16,229 for the women; and that the big difference in bonuses for the men’s and women’s World Cups is based largely on the difference in prize money awarded by FIFA.

• Asked if he could specify how much of U.S. Soccer’s sponsorship and TV income could be credited to the U.S. women and how much to the men, Gulati said: “The sponsorship and TV money are done collectively. We don’t break that down either with any of our partners or our TV partners. So that’s on a guaranteed basis. We don’t break that down in any of our accounting.” Gulati did say that TV ratings are substantially higher for the men than the women right now. “It’s not 10 or 20 or 30 or 50 percent higher, it’s a multiple right now on the men’s program versus the women’s program,” Gulati said.

• Gulati finished by saying he was confident of getting a new CBA done with the players for the start of 2017. “I have no doubt that we will get a deal done and we’ll get back to focusing on the game,” he said. “We’ll get a deal done that’s fair to the players that will involve a process of give and take. We’ve got a team that we’re very proud of. We’re committed to many of the issues they’ve raised, and we’ll figure out a way to get to those points with them.”

Also:

FiveThirtyEight took a closer look at the financials for a few individuals:

- Women Earn The Glory While Men Earn The Money In U.S. Soccer
Based on our findings — using financial statements released by the soccer federation for fiscal year 2015, along with the USWNT’s collective bargaining agreement and memo of understanding released in court after the federation sued the players union over an earlier negotiating dispute — top men’s players earned almost twice as much as top women’s players from the federation during their respective World Cup years, despite the women’s victory in 2015 and the men’s early knockout elimination in 2014.
Much more via the link.

A lengthy NY Daily News feature on the pay disparity:

- SOCCER WARS: As the women on the U.S. national team fight for equality in their sport, the DAILY DIG discovers that the discriminatory treatment they’ve been subjected to is not merely unfair, but quite possibly illegal

Paracelsus

another point worth mentioning - The US Women's National Team plays a lot of games against absolute jobbers, they're head and shoulders above the rest

The US Mens' National Team often plays the best in the world, their standard of competition is WAY higher

Well, it's not "another point", it's the focal point and the main reason actually.

But American fans love it when our teams are absolutely wrecking the competition.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
top men’s players earned almost twice as much as top women’s players from the federation during their respective World Cup years, despite the women’s victory in 2015 and the men’s early knockout elimination in 2014.

Men won 4 times as much from the World Cup, $9m to $2m.

Duxxy3

Don't more American's watch the women's national team play than the men's national team? I think it all stems from the obvious inequality in club football, where difference in revenue between the men's & women's game is massive.

I'll watch the women's national team. Don't really give a crap about the men's national team.

Do the U.S. soccer federation pay their athletes? I thought the clubs were the ones responsible for the payment like in most part of the world.

And obviously female clubs can't pay as much as the male clubs.

FyreWulff

This is exactly what I had a conversation with a coworker about yesterday in regards to tennis. Also the fact that Women play 3 sets instead of 5 for men.

I mean I am all for equality but why would I pay someone the same money if they arent going to bring in the same money. For example why would I pay Brad Pitt and Allison Pill the same amount of money for a movie.

this only works if you completely ignore the historical reasons and inequality for women.

It's easy to conflate the popularity of USWNT with Women's Soccer in general.

Not that it's particularly relevant here since we are actually talking about USWNT players, but to extrapolate any of this and apply them to the "Women's Game" is a dangerous road to go down

Blue Lou

Whatever happens, some people won't be happy until the USWNT receives equal pay for their appearance as the men's equivalent.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that the next tv deal for CONCACAF tournaments is likely to be sold centrally (i.e. tv network bids for all CONCACAF tournament rights and the money is distributed among the CONCACAF members). CONCACAF hope to bring in more revenue this way.

Syder

National teams don't play frequently enough to make it the most sensible primary source of income for a footballer, male or female. If you're a World Class footballer it's still considered a great achievement to attain 100 caps for your national side; Lionel Messi is 28 and made his international senior début at 18 and has since made 107 appearances for Argentina, compare that to 552 appearances in club competitions at Barcelona. Also, most first world nations' national team players donate their 'wages' to charity. Playing for your country is considered a great honour and privilege, not a means of making money, especially as men's league football is already flooded with wealth and that being the primary way footballers make their millions.

Women's Football Leagues are growing in popularity but they're a long, long way behind the men's leagues. It's clear that Women's football has prioritised good performances on the international stage over league performances. A lot of people that normally wouldn't actually took notice of the Women's WC last year. It [women's football] is a growing sport compared to a sport [men's football] that has flourished for more than 125 years.

how does hope solo still have a career?
She won best goalkeeper at last years Women's World Cup.

Oozer3993

As a law expert said on Twitter, this is probably going to come down to dueling economists. This seems to boil down to just exactly how much the USWNT brings in.

@McCannSportsLaw said:
US Soccer tells @GrantWahl wage discrimination charge miscalculates revenue. IMO: battle of expert economists looms.

I'm not an expert on football but the Olympics certainly isn't where the money is. If they were men they could use that success to play for a rich European team and get crazy money.

Blue Lou

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/11/sports/soccer/carli-lloyd-why-im-fighting-for-equal-pay.html

Simply put, we’re sick of being treated like second-class citizens. It wears on you after a while. And we are done with it.

I understand that the men’s World Cup generates vastly more money globally than the women’s event, but the simple truth is that U.S. Soccer projects that our team will generate a profit of $5.2 million in 2017 while the men are forecast to lose almost $1 million. Yet we get shortchanged coming and going.

It's more of the same, misleading and incomplete figures ("I won’t bury you with numbers").

The first comment on that article seems the best way to do it, keep the revenue from women's and men's soccer/football separate at all age levels and give the players a slice accordingly.

otapnam

I love the us womens team but u really do have to look at revenue as well.

I know the pro league isnt a 1:1 example however in 2015 the us womens pro league attracted 4500 spectators on average while the men averaged 21500.

I think this is the kind of thing where their supporters need to back them up, not facebook twittr or Instagram. Fill those seats!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_National_Women's_Soccer_League_season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

Edit i just pulled us / national team home game attendance numbers

Us mens vs womens last 5 years average attendance
40000 v 16000
33000 v 16000
33000 v 10000
34000 v 27000
36000 v 14000

http://www.ussoccer.com/womens-national-team/records/attendance

http://www.ussoccer.com/mens-national-team/records/mnt-attendance-by-year

Yeah, no. They'd get absolutely annihilated by lower league clubs in small European countries and those guys definitely don't make as much as they do. Stop whining.

I cannot even begin to fathom what you're trying to communicate. How dare they do better than one team and expected to be credited for having done better?

GorillaJu

The daily show cherry picked the numbers they presented like most of the people in this thread and ignored anything that contradicts it.

While the women in the filing say they have earned nearly 25 percent less than their male counterparts this year, the figures supplied by the USSF show that for the 25 top-earning U.S. national team players over the past four years, 14 of whom are women, the average compensation is $695,269 for the women over that span, compared with $710,775 for the men, a difference of 2.2 percent.

Women earn a base salary of $75,000. Men do not. They get paid per appearance - the claims that men can make up to $100,000 in a year ignore the published, available data showing that the average player doesn't make enough appearances to reach that top end. You would have to play 20 games in a year to get $100,000 from the USMNT, but most players only participate in 13 or 14 games.

In 2015, 14 of the 24 women's players earned more than $300,000 in salary plus benefits, and no one earned less than $249,000, according to federation numbers, adding that the top male player earned just more than $178,000 in salary in 2015.

USSF chief financial officer Eric Gleason said the USSF numbers also show that for the past eight years, there has never been a year in which the player-compensation-team-revenue ratio was greater for the men than for the women.

So, yeah. The lowest earning woman in 2015 made significantly more than the top earning man, and the highest earning woman almost double. Men also have never earned a higher percentage of their team's revenue than women.

Blue Lou

It's now being reported that the USWNT are threatening to strike over pay and not participate in the Olympic tournament.

Blue Lou

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3c8d...-us-womens-soccer-team-bound-no-strike-clause

A federal judge says the world champion U.S. women's soccer team currently does not have the right to strike to seek improved conditions and wages before the Summer Olympics.

Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman ruled Friday that the team remains bound by a no-strike clause in earlier agreements.

The case pits the team's union, the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Players Association, against the Chicago-based governing body, the U.S. Soccer Federation. The federation sued to clarify the strike issue.

The federation warned that a strike could have forced the women to pull out of the Olympics, which, in turn, would have hurt the development of the sport in the U.S. The union wanted the option of striking, though it hadn't said definitively it would strike.

The women's team is seeking its fourth straight Olympic gold medal in Rio de Janeiro.

The lawsuit focused on strike rights is related to a wage discrimination complaint filed by five players in March with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The complaint alleges that women's team players in some cases earn as much as four times less than their counterparts on the men's national team.

U.S. Soccer maintains that characterization is misleading because the men and women are paid differently under collective bargaining agreements and because the complaint's allegation that the women generate more revenue is based on figures from last year, when the team won the World Cup and went on a victory tour.

Oral arguments in May focused on whether an existing agreement between the union and the federation bars the women from striking.

In her 13-page ruling, posted Friday, the judge says the union didn't persuade her that terms of the earlier collectively bargaining agreement — including a no-strike clause — did not carry over to a 2013 memorandum of understanding, which the sides agreed to as they tried and failed to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement. And she was dismissive of union arguments that a no-strike provision should have been spelled out explicitly in the memorandum.

"Federal law encourages courts to be liberal in their recognition and interpretation of collective bargaining agreements, so as to lessen strife and encourage congenial relations between unions and companies," she wrote. "A collective bargaining agreement may be partly or wholly oral and a written collective bargaining agreement may be orally modified."

Federation lawyer Russell Sauer Jr. said during arguments that a no-strike clause is implied in the still-valid memorandum of understanding signed by both sides in 2013. A lawyer for the union balked, saying the federation failed to secure a no-strike clause in writing and cannot argue now that such a provision is implied.

Asked by the judge why the federation did not insist on a no-strike clause in the memorandum, another federation lawyer, Amy Quartarolo, said it was made clear in emails and other communications that a no-strike provision in previous CBAs carried over into the 2013 agreement.

kIdMuScLe

I would understand the different pay if the men and women were ran by different federations but they're not. That's like the equivalent of having a company paying men higher then women for doing the same job.

Arials

I would understand the different pay if the men and women were ran by different federations but they're not. That's like the equivalent of having a company paying men higher then women for doing the same job.

If they're not in the same squad, going to the same tournaments, playing the same opponents then they're not doing the same job.

Arials

"Equal pay for equal work" so tear up their central contracts and pay them shares of tournament winnings/gate receipts/TV/sponsorship deals based on how many appearances they make. Apply the same deal to the men ...and the pay disparity will become so much bigger than it currently is. Maybe they'll bully themselves a good deal but I can't help but feel they're punching a gift horse in the face with the pay structure they had.

This is for the pay they receive from USSoccer for the national team (i.e. USMNT and USWNT) appearance, correct? Not for their club pay with the MLS and NWSL? If so, then I have to agree they deserve as much, if not more than the guys. If not, then I gotta say I disagree.

"Equal pay for equal work" so tear up their central contracts and pay them shares of tournament winnings/gate receipts/TV/sponsorship deals based on how many appearances they make. Apply the same deal to the men ...and the pay disparity will become so much bigger than it currently is. Maybe they'll bully themselves a good deal but I can't help but feel they're punching a gift horse in the face with the pay structure they had.

Maybe soccer is slightly different but women's pay in 99.9% of sports is not "punching a gift horse in the mouth". Every league pays it's players shit when they league is making significantly more than that.

This is a dense thread so I'll have to weed through a lot but from skimming a lot of the rebuttals are talking about real madrid and others which is an absurd comparison.

WaterAstro

Aren't Sports players are paid by their market worth?

I'm sure male national players can tell their National team to shove it if they are not getting what they are worth when compared to their Club position.

Edit: Wait, Hope Solo wants to be paid as much as Tim Howard?

This is for the pay they receive from USSoccer for the national team (i.e. USMNT and USWNT) appearance, correct? Not for their club pay with the MLS and NWSL? If so, then I have to agree they deserve as much, if not more than the guys. If not, then I gotta say I disagree.

It's...complicated. The men and women players don't negotiate together and they have different realities as players. Some things don't have simple 1-to-1 comparisons.

Basically the men get paid if they are called in to camp. The women also get paid for this but it is less money. However, many of the women players also receive an additional salary from the USSF that the men don't. This actually makes it harder to integrate new players into the women's team as compared to the men due to guaranteed money.

This is done to offset the lower pay of the women's club leagues (if there is one) and allow the players to not need another job. The top women players probably get paid the same as the men but once you get down the depth chart I suspect the disparity grows.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2016/2/4/10916838/most-interesting-uswnt-cba-collective-bargaining-details

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html?_r=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom