• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rephin

Well I just read that the second seat could be used to subdue bounties and I can actually fly the hornet now so I guess I'll shoot for the super hornet, but I'm definitely looking at all the real life plane inspired ships(retaliator, vanguard, saber) as they are all pure sex.
Just to clarify a point, if you can get the Super Hornet you totally should. You get more out of the $55 than you think, because it comes with two missile racks plus missiles to fill them, a nose turret, and two extra guns that you'd normally have to pay for in the Voyager Direct store, plus exclusive features like the rear ball turret and second seat in the back. A better deal overall, IMO, if you're looking to have a decked out Hornet.

Edit: It also has a 4 way directional shield instead of a front/rear shield. Forgot about that.

Well, at least if they do end up integrating SVOGI that CryEngine has, it will have proper indrect shadowing there. But as of yet, no game engine would put AO there with any real time technique.
Love it. Is there a use for it in gameplay or have they thrown it in just for kicks?
I have not had a lot of testing time due to servers being extremely fickle. But as far as I understand, it just looks hella-cool atm. I did not notice any mechanics stemming from it as of it.

I think in the end though there will be two different reload types, a tactical reload which drops your current mag on the floor and a slower one that exchanges one on your belt.

jaaz

Fortunately I have E:D to play and scratch the itch or I might be you. As such, I'm very happy with my starter pack. Fuck that nonsense.

It really wasn't that. I'm a life-long space sim fan, from since around when Starflight was released in the 80's. I know what Roberts is trying to accomplish here, I actually had the same idea back then, but obviously the technology was nowhere near there to accomplish it. To me buying these ships not only allows me to play the game the way I want to play it, but it also financially supports a child-hood dream of what a space sim should be. I've never supported any Kickstarter game, but this one has struck the right cord with me. Of course, you also get these very cool ships to fly for your contribution.

Zalusithix

It really wasn't that. I'm a life-long space sim fan, from since around when Starflight was released in the 80's. I know what Roberts is trying to accomplish here, I actually had the same idea back then, but obviously the technology was nowhere near there to accomplish it. To me buying these ships not only allows me to play the game the way I want to play it, but it also financially supports a child-hood dream of what a space sim should be. I've never supported any Kickstarter game, but this one has struck the right cord with me. Of course, you also get these very cool ships to fly for your contribution.

The tech is barely there now to accomplish it. Concessions have to be made to allow it to work with the restrictions of today's hardware and internet. We're still probably a couple decades off before we can truly pull off a seamless populated universe without instancing and the likes.

Of course none of us feel like waiting that long. =P So here we are throwing money at SC in hopes that CIG can duct tape everything together and provide a game to tide us over. It's a gamble for sure, but the payoff if successful is worth it.

And speaking of throwing money at CIG, the counter is back over 99 million again. One more to go before we hit nine figure funding!

Burny

Of course none of us feel like waiting that long. =P So here we are throwing money at SC in hopes that CIG can duct tape everything together and provide a game to tide us over. It's a gamble for sure, but the payoff if successful is worth it.

At some point all the throwing of money becomes a bit ridiculous though.

Practically all the ships will be available to buy in the game with ingame money. Whether their balancing and surrounding meta will live up to the backing price tag and their concept is utter speculation to the point that I'd call much of the concepts pieces of fantasy literature. We don't know if a 600$ large combat ship might not be shot to pieces within minutes by some players in bombers, who just played the game for a couple of hours. We don't know if the specialized Hornet variants will have any use in the game or will just end up being the usless brothers of the combat variant, because they didn't get a place in the meta. We don't know whether more than two of the large combat ships fully manned and a handful of fighters will even be able to fit into one instanced area of the game. Chances are, they won't or whatever duct tape solution there will be for such encounters might be fairly limited and far less grand than the concept texts make them out to be. We don't know if exploration will actually give the feeling of exploring unknown space, when there are no unknown star systems around, because the whole game map is hand made with some dynamic elements (aren't tunnels supposed to change?). In the same vein, we don't know which use the rovers in the Aquilla and Carrack will even get. Will there actually be large planetary areas to explore where those have any use?

Now that they're scratching 100 Mio. $ in funding, do they really need more money to make the game? Shouldn't they be able to finish the base game and be able to sell it to the public - adding the later concept ships with seasons/addons? Will throwing more money at it actually make the game any better or get it finished any faster? Or does it just invite them to dream up concept sale after concept sale with new featues whose implementation and release is ever further down the road?

I tend to think that the latter is somewhat the case. I also have severe doubts that Star Citizen will eventually live up to all it's made out to be. If Elite has shown anything, than it's how much flaws a game with similar scope can have and I'm not fooling myself into believing that Star Citizen will - initially - overcome all those flaws and be the "BDSSE".

Which is why I think at least my money is better invested in some nice sim hardware that I'll be able to use in other games even if Star Citizen were to become a turd. Or in Star Citizen, if it turns out the be the shit. It's a much safer investment than fantasy ship sales and it still allows one to throw hundreds of dollars at something. ;)

tuxfool

Banned
Now that they're scratching 100 Mio. $ in funding, do they really need more money to make the game? Shouldn't they be able to finish the base game and be able to sell it to the public - adding the later concept ships with seasons/addons? Will throwing more money at it actually make the game any better or get it finished any faster? Or does it just invite them to dream up concept sale after concept sale with new featues whose implementation and release is ever further down the road?

I should point out that the reported budget for SWTOR was approximately 200M. However we don't know if that includes marketing costs or not.

Burny

I should point out that the reported budget for SWTOR was approximately 200M. However we don't know if that includes marketing costs or not.

For all we know, coming close to Star Citizen's vision might require them to have 300M or more in pure dev budget and 5 more years of development. And even then, due to design decisions (e.g. handcrafted world vs. generated galaxy) or due to hardware limitations (e.g. tighter than ideal player limit for peer2peer instances, maybe no dedicated multiplayer servers, player/server bandwidth) its actual vision may be wholly out of reach. All we know for certain is that they're not going to be done next month.

Which makes it a question of faith, whether you'll let them bleed you wallet with continued and partly incereasingly expensive "pledge" fantasy ship sales or wait and see what they will deliver in return (edit: and maybe play another space game that is out in the meanwhile ;-) ).

tuxfool

Banned
Yup.
To get proper amount of information one would need to use either Deep Screen Space, layered screen space, voxels (2, 3) or froxels (frustrum aligned voxels. ;))version of the scene.
Although if one goes beyond screenspace approach, one might as well occlude and bounce indirect lights properly.

Yeah, hence the push for SVOGI. Just needs the hardware to be capable of doing it efficiently. Games like the Tomorrow Children show that it can work beyond being just technology even on today's hardware.

Zalusithix

At some point all the throwing of money becomes a bit ridiculous though.

Practically all the ships will be available to buy in the game with ingame money. Whether their balancing and surrounding meta will live up to the backing price tag and their concept is utter speculation to the point that I'd call much of the concepts pieces of fantasy literature. We don't know if a 600$ large combat ship might not be shot to pieces within minutes by some players in bombers, who just played the game for a couple of hours. We don't know if the specialized Hornet variants will have any use in the game or will just end up being the usless brothers of the combat variant, because they didn't get a place in the meta.

Actually all the ships are to be available in game either for purchase or capture.

In regards to a $600 ship going to pieces within minutes when faced with a coordinated fleet of bombers? Given that the lowest bomber right now is a $165 ship (not something you'll have in a couple of hours from a starter package), it's quite possible, and even probable. None of the $600 ships are capital ships, and shouldn't be expected to survive solo against a bunch of bombers for long. The only ship Roberts has said will be able to hold its own against a bunch of bombers (Retaliators) is the Idris, and that's a $1200 ship that will require a sizable human presence to properly function, and was likely taking into account the internal fighter wing.

Spending money isn't supposed to turn you into an untouchable god who can solo a bunch of other people that have the proper paper to your rock. The money should be to support the game with the ships as a bonus, and proper game balance is going to dictate that those ships can get destroyed.

As for the variants, that's just a matter of trust. It's an issue with any crowd funded game. What's to say anything a dev says will actually be what they say when the game is done? If you can't believe in something as basic as stealth and tracking in a game that already has the groundwork for ship signatures and radars set, then that's your choice.

We don't know whether more than two of the large combat ships fully manned and a handful of fighters will even be able to fit into one instanced area of the game. Chances are, they won't or whatever duct tape solution there will be for such encounters might be fairly limited and far less grand than the concept texts make them out to be. We don't know if exploration will actually give the feeling of exploring unknown space, when there are no unknown star systems around, because the whole game map is hand made with some dynamic elements (aren't tunnels supposed to change?). In the same vein, we don't know which use the rovers in the Aquilla and Carrack will even get. Will there actually be large planetary areas to explore where those have any use?
First you say we don't know and then you say essentially that they won't. You're obviously skeptical about their ability to achieve anything with the game. =P But yes, the end result will be less than the idealized concepts. This follows for just about every game out there. Aim for the stars and then scale back as practicality demands.

Exploration wise, there are unknown star systems. What is visible on the map isn't everything. If anything it's theoretically more unknown than Elite where everything is there and you pick where to go, and the primary challenge is not dying before you get back. (Be it by death by black hole or death by boredom. ;) ) In SC you'll have to find a jump point first, and then ride that point into the unknown. It might be someplace new. It might be a new route to an existing place. It might collapse after you use it and leave you stranded. So no, you're not going to be "discovering" tons of places in SC like Elite, but on the flip side, the process should be more involved and have more importance when accomplished.

Rovers only exist on two ships and planet side exploration is hardly important in the grand scheme of things when everything else on their plate is considered. Elite is *just* getting basic planet side exploration and that game had the luxury of being totally procedural from the get go. That didn't stop people from exploring in that game despite how static the process is.

I tend to think that the latter is somewhat the case. I also have severe doubts that Star Citizen will eventually live up to all it's made out to be. If Elite has shown anything, than it's how much flaws a game with similar scope can have and I'm not fooling myself into believing that Star Citizen will - initially - overcome all those flaws and be the "BDSSE".
It wont overcome every possible flaw, but by getting an appropriate amount of funding it can hopefully avoid the Elite downfall of launching as a retail product with tons of crucial aspects not implemented. If Elite had the funding that SC has, I highly doubt they'd have chosen to launch when they did with the game in that state.

Which is why I think at least my money is better invested in some nice sim hardware that I'll be able to use in other games even if Star Citizen were to become a turd. Or in Star Citizen, if it turns out the be the shit. It's a much safer investment than fantasy ship sales and it still allows one to throw hundreds of dollars at something. ;)
Sim hardware without software you want to use it on is useless. I've played Elite, and burned out on it. I'll be back eventually, but that's besides the point. Hardware will always be there. The sim community will provide it. What they don't can be made by hand. Software to use it on, on the other hand, is a time limited affair that can't be done by hobbyists. If you don't seize the opportunity when it presents itself, there's no telling how long you'll have to wait for a second chance.

For all we know, coming close to Star Citizen's vision might require them to have 300M or more in pure dev budget and 5 more years of development. And even then, due to design decisions (e.g. handcrafted world vs. generated galaxy) or due to hardware limitations (e.g. tighter than ideal player limit for peer2peer instances, maybe no dedicated multiplayer servers, player/server bandwidth) its actual vision may be wholly out of reach. All we know for certain is that they're not going to be done next month.

Which makes it a question of faith, whether you'll let them bleed you wallet with continued and partly incereasingly expensive "pledge" fantasy ship sales or wait and see what they will deliver in return (edit: and maybe play another space game that is out in the meanwhile ;-) ).
You act as if they haven't shown us anything with the "wait to see what they deliver". They've continued to make progress year after year. With this first version of the PU, we're experiencing for the first time the basis from which the game will be built. So long as they continue to iterate and make progress, all is good. And this isn't even counting Squadron 42 being developed alongside it.

Just to clarify a point, if you can get the Super Hornet you totally should. You get more out of the $55 than you think, because it comes with two missile racks plus missiles to fill them, a nose turret, and two extra guns that you'd normally have to pay for in the Voyager Direct store, plus exclusive features like the rear ball turret and second seat in the back. A better deal overall, IMO, if you're looking to have a decked out Hornet.

Edit: It also has a 4 way directional shield instead of a front/rear shield. Forgot about that.
Edit: whoops thought green meant occupied not available on the overview, still the Super Hornet pictures massively undersell its included ordinance.

Could you explain why this is the case?
Yup.
To get proper amount of information one would need to use either Deep Screen Space, layered screen space, voxels (2, 3) or froxels (frustrum aligned voxels. ;))version of the scene.
Although if one goes beyond screenspace approach, one might as well occlude and bounce indirect lights properly.
Pottuvoi summed it up really well.

Basically, if you want some indirect shadowing under something like a set of stairs in the image I posted, you need more information than what the basic single perspective in screen space can give you. Either you bake some sort of shadow maps and whatnot from an offline calculation, or you do it in real-time with something that can provide you with accurate information from a world perspective or from a second (multiple?) screenspace perspective(s).

I was pretty excited when I saw that deep screen space presentation a while back. I thought more games would be using it by now, especially 30fps target games. But alas, I think consoles... etc etc.

Technically, cryengine would have had the ability to do these things long ago even before SVOGI was added (they experimented with cone tracing and voxel AO before Crysis 3 came out even, and hadd LPV extensions to do AO and what not). It is just everytime they left the implementation unfinished because the consoles of the time could not run the baseline stripped down versions even. Even SVOGI's most basic form which costs less than 1 ms on a reasonable PC costs like 4 ms on console apparently.

All this is why I hope they do integrate SVOGI. It is one of the few techniques out there that can only get better looking over time and scales dramatically given better hardware. Newer and better hardware? Just make the voxelisation finer! Worse hardware? Just make it coarser!

So I bought the cheaper limited 1000 per day starter pack and there's no way to swap it with the other starter ships for free? I'm not liking the Aurora so I'd like to try the other one.

Burny

You act as if they haven't shown us anything with the "wait to see what they deliver". They've continued to make progress year after year. With this first version of the PU, we're experiencing for the first time the basis from which the game will be built. So long as they continue to iterate and make progress, all is good. And this isn't even counting Squadron 42 being developed alongside it.

I act is if we're finally experiencing the game's first steps in a halfway integrated form after three years. And the "only" thing still to do is build the actual game(s) on top of the technology they now finally have. :p

Forgive me if I doubt that Star Citizen is going to be anywhere close to a "feature complete" affair at that development pace when it releases. And the ~100 Mio. $ in funding means plenty of people including me have already seized the opportunity to make Star Citizen a reality with hands full of dollar bills. :p It's them asking for more and more while promising ever more that's leaving a bitter taste, when the game's state that we can see doesn't give the impression of catching up soon to even some of the concept sales from a year ago.

Zalusithix

So I bought the cheaper limited 1000 per day starter pack and there's no way to swap it with the other starter ships for free? I'm not liking the Aurora so I'd like to try the other one.

The Aurora MR in the package is worth $25, so you can't swap it for anything else without putting in another $5 minimum. That would get you the Mustang Alpha. (The P-72 too, but that wouldn't be recommended.) Getting out of the Aurora/Mustang starters will require at least $25.

Edit: I should mention that you can use the Aurora to earn REC in AC. That REC can be used to rent any other ship to use in AC. Wont help you if you absolutely hate the Aurora, but it does provide base backers the ability to try something else. Also, once the PU is in decent enough shape, base backers will be able to join in multi-crew ships that others own.

I act is if we're finally experiencing the game's first steps in a halfway integrated form after three years. And the "only" thing still to do is build the actual game(s) on top of the technology they now finally have. :p

Forgive me if I doubt that Star Citizen is going to be anywhere close to a "feature complete" affair at that development pace when it releases. And the ~100 Mio. $ in funding means plenty of people including me have already seized the opportunity to make Star Citizen a reality with hands full of dollar bills. :p It's them asking for more and more while promising ever more that's leaving a bitter taste, when the game's state that we can see doesn't give the impression of catching up soon to even some of the concept sales from a year ago.
Those three years were setting up studios from the ground up, creating pipelines and creating the foundation from which to build off of. This wasn't an established developer going into a project. Also, game development speed is not linear. A two month period at the beginning wont have anywhere as much to show as a two month period at the tail end.

Pottuvoi summed it up really well.

Basically, if you want some indirect shadowing under something like a set of stairs in the image I posted, you need more information than what the basic single perspective in screen space can give you. Either you bake some sort of shadow maps and whatnot from an offline calculation, or you do it in real-time with something that can provide you with accurate information from a world perspective or from a second (multiple?) screenspace perspective(s).

I was pretty excited when I saw that deep screen space presentation a while back. I thought more games would be using it by now, especially 30fps target games. But alas, I think consoles... etc etc.

Technically, cryengine would have had the ability to do these things long ago even before SVOGI was added (they experimented with cone tracing and voxel AO before Crysis 3 came out even, and hadd LPV extensions to do AO and what not). It is just everytime they left the implementation unfinished because the consoles of the time could not run the baseline stripped down versions even. Even SVOGI's most basic form which costs less than 1 ms on a reasonable PC costs like 4 ms on console apparently.

All this is why I hope they do integrate SVOGI. It is one of the few techniques out there that can only get better looking over time and scales dramatically given better hardware. Newer and better hardware? Just make the voxelisation finer! Worse hardware? Just make it coarser!
Interesting. I think it's safe to assume that SVOTI will be implimented, Kingdom Come guys managed it, so I doubt it's too complex, especially given the improvements it provides.

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting. I think it's safe to assume that SVOTI will be implimented, Kingdom Come guys managed it, so I doubt it's too complex, especially given the improvements it provides.

Kingdom Come is using vanilla CryEngine. Who knows if it works well with whatever SC is doing now, so while the improvements are worth it, we don't know how difficult they are to integrate.

starcitizen_2015_11_3lzaaw.png

starcitizen_2015_11_3gcbdn.png

starcitizen_2015_11_3u3at9.png

starcitizen_2015_11_32raos.png

starcitizen_2015_11_32hlaj.png

starcitizen_2015_11_357xy8.png

starcitizen_2015_11_3nfbli.png

starcitizen_2015_11_38fb2z.png

Daedardus

Hnnggg, this all looks so great! Thanks for the shots.

Also, we're well over $99 million. I think $100 million before the end of the year is possible, seeing as the sale is still running. I think it deserves a new stretch goal though, a small reward for everyone?

The Aurora MR in the package is worth $25, so you can't swap it for anything else without putting in another $5 minimum. That would get you the Mustang Alpha. (The P-72 too, but that wouldn't be recommended.) Getting out of the Aurora/Mustang starters will require at least $25.

Edit: I should mention that you can use the Aurora to earn REC in AC. That REC can be used to rent any other ship to use in AC. Wont help you if you absolutely hate the Aurora, but it does provide base backers the ability to try something else. Also, once the PU is in decent enough shape, base backers will be able to join in multi-crew ships that others own.

Those three years were setting up studios from the ground up, creating pipelines and creating the foundation from which to build off of. This wasn't an established developer going into a project. Also, game development speed is not linear. A two month period at the beginning wont have anywhere as much to show as a two month period at the tail end.

Do you think I should swap the Aurora for the Mustang for the extra $5?

Zalusithix

Do you think I should swap the Aurora for the Mustang for the extra $5?

My foolproof recommendation is playing ranked matches in AC or coop Vanduul swarm with the Aurora for long enough to build up 3000REC. Then go here and "purchase" a Mustang. You'll then have 7 days of straight usage to make that decision. In that play time you'll build up more REC to try out other ships and see what you feel is worth the money. Once you build up enough REC, there's theoretically no reason to ever need to use the Aurora outside of the PU.

If you absolutely can't stand the Aurora to play with it, then $5 isn't much to burn to go blindly to the Mustang. Just keep in mind that you're more or less sidegrading and the biggest change you'll see is handling, not combat proficiency. Also keep in mind that after this sale expires, it'll cost you more money to CCU to another Aurora variant if it turns out that you hate the Mustang even more.

SnowTeeth

Banned

Why is this such a confounding concept to grasp?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
They've already hit $99.25 million. I think we'll see $100 million on Wednesday.

I hope they have a trailer ready for the occasion, too. I'm sure there will be a Letter From the Chairman. Maybe they'll put some little digital doo-dad in everyone's inventory.

Zalusithix

IIRC For the first year of development the team was only something like 40 people.
Close. For the first three quarters of the first year they had less than 40 people, and then it started to pick up.

• November 2012 (Campaign end) : 8
  • February 2013: 20
  • June 2013: 32
  • August 2013: 40
  • October 2013: 52
  • December 2013: 60

Zalusithix

They've already hit $99.25 million. I think we'll see $100 million on Wednesday.

I hope they have a trailer ready for the occasion, too. I'm sure there will be a Letter From the Chairman. Maybe they'll put some little digital doo-dad in everyone's inventory.
Snowball's chance in hell unless there's a lot of payments left to clear. Sales are going to tank after today.

Damn, I meant to edit, not quote and double post... -_-

wrongway

I told myself I wouldn't throw any money at this until it was ready for prime time, but I didn't get anything from the Steam sale, so why not. $30 is pretty harmless. Starter pack get!

Shy

I told myself I wouldn't throw any money at this until it was ready for prime time, but I didn't get anything from the Steam sale, so why not. $30 is pretty harmless. Starter pack get!
Welcome Citizen.

Feel free to apply to our ORG, make sure to put in your GAF name so we know it's you.
Will we ever be able to fly out of our hangars into the PU? That would be so awesome.
That's the plan i believe.

Will we ever be able to fly out of our hangars into the PU? That would be so awesome.

I've been a backer since the KS campaign and haven't done anything except wander around my Self-Land hangar looking at my 315p. The day it's possible for me to fly it out of the hangar and into the PU is the day I start playing Star Citizen proper :)

Zalusithix

You're not going to see flying to and from your hanger until a ways after planetary landing is in. Asteroid hanger aside, the rest are based on planets and will be dependent on the transition sequences. That being the case, I imagine we'll be launching from orbital stations for a while. What we should see relatively soon is the ability to invite others to our own hanger. There's not a whole heck of a lot that you'd be able to do with that functionality by itself, but it would allow people to easily view ships they don't own first hand in decent lighting.

injurai

Banned
I just realized some of the prices for backer ships. Is their any indication how easy it will be to say earn yourself an Idris? Or will this game end up like Eve where only the 1% is capable of owning such ships.

I guess this question mostly refers the the persistent multiplayer universe, as opposed to private servers.

tuxfool

Banned
I just realized some of the prices for backer ships. Is their any indication how easy it will be to say earn yourself an Idris? Or will this game end up like Eve where only the 1% is capable of owning such ships.

I guess this question mostly refers the the persistent multiplayer universe, as opposed to private servers.

There is very little. They have stated the intent is that gaining ships shouldn't be too onerous and they're definitely not looking to replicate EVE.
There are some very large ships that are primarily designed to be owned by orgs (like a Hull D) because the economics of their functionality simply wouldn't scale to a single player. I don't know where an Idris fits in that scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom