• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

I can already taste it, smell it on the wind. I think the news post thread I make will get three pages. It will devolve into a discussion about how it both is a ponzi scheme that will crash and burn, and that it is too good looking / looks bad. This will all occur after post 2.

At least people stopped discussing when it would be ported over to PS4 and why Elite is so much better. Guess No Man's Sky is the new topic at hand.

any gamepad users here? I like how they mapped the mouse curser controls to the stick when using the Holo-table but it's yet to work when using in game menus like the elevator, spawning your ship or mobi-glas. This rustles my comfy couch gaming jimmies

Daedardus

any gamepad users here? I like how they mapped the mouse curser controls to the stick when using the Holo-table but it's yet to work when using in game menus like the elevator, spawning your ship or mobi-glas. This rustles my comfy couch gaming jimmies

DualShock 4 mostly solves those problems. Not ideal, but it's something at least.

Zalusithix

At least people stopped discussing when it would be ported over to PS4 and why Elite is so much better. Guess No Man's Sky is the new topic at hand.

I think that the Elite and SC communities have merged a fair bit since the early days, and as such are more mutually accepting. People still have their preferences and criticisms, but there's a lot less "my game or the highway" mentality. There's room for both, though whether there's time in the day to play both is an entirely different matter. ;)

Can't say I remember much talk about SC being ported to PS4 or NMS vs SC. Not that it matters. One's a pipe dream, and the other is a game that's so very different from SC that the only similarity is "space".

Edit: Also, lol at being at ~$1,600/hr in funding now. How low can the post sale funding go?! Still, even at that rate, we'll hit the 100 mil mark in less than two weeks.

jaaz

Oh wow.

DWbUZQg.gif

Yeah the new explosions are pretty great.
I think that the Elite and SC communities have merged a fair bit since the early days, and as such are more mutually accepting. People still have their preferences and criticisms, but there's a lot less "my game or the highway" mentality. There's room for both, though whether there's time in the day to play both is an entirely different matter. ;)

Can't say I remember much talk about SC being ported to PS4 or NMS vs SC. Not that it matters. One's a pipe dream, and the other is a game that's so very different from SC that the only similarity is "space".

Edit: Also, lol at being at ~$1,600/hr in funding now. How low can the post sale funding go?! Still, even at that rate, we'll hit the 100 mil mark in less than two weeks.

It is wonderful to have seen these things happened. THe original animosity (I have no idea that was a thing) between elite and SC communities was so silly.

ANd I am pretty sure anyone with eyeballs can see clearly now that console ports... lol.

At this point what are people even still buying?! I just have my lowly 315p (upgraded from an Aurora) and it's hard to wrap my head around all the money that still keeps pouring in.

tuxfool

Banned
At this point what are people even still buying?! I just have my lowly 315p (upgraded from an Aurora) and it's hard to wrap my head around all the money that still keeps pouring in.

It could partially be payments still going through from the black friday errors.

epmode

CHECKPOINT
CHECKPOINT
CHECKPOINT

In related news, the flight computers are REALLY CHATTY in Star Citizen. Don't like it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

dayum

This should go in the $100 million thread to show where all the money has gone

And throw some more gifs in there, including of S42 facial animation and the interior shot of the Retaliator going to red alert before exploding

[edit] And of the ArcCorp central square area. All the impressive shit!

Zalusithix

CCUs, weapons, etc. SC always has money coming in from something, sale or not. Pretty sure subscriptions get counted in that total as well.

It's blurry as all hell, but given that it looks flat, red, and symetrical, I'm going with an M-50. The Mustang wouldn't be so flat. The fragments don't look like a Glaive.

It appears actually to be a pirate PU ship, All of which have red paint schemes.

So it could even be a pirate 300i, probably not an M50 (too big).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, maybe use the Gary Oldman speech instead. It would incur less criticism, the in-game character looks more like the actor, etc.

tuxfool

Banned
Also seems way too slow for an M50, but I haven't seen a pirate 300i or its variants have that much white on its paint job.

It appears actually to be a pirate PU ship, All of which have red paint schemes.

It's blurry as all hell, but given that it looks flat, red, and symetrical, I'm going with an M-50. The Mustang wouldn't be so flat. The fragments don't look like a Glaive.

What is this? UFO watch?

GKB

Fack that. The uninformed deserve no mercy. Shove glorious 4K old man hamill down there throats I say.

Yeah http://giant.gfycat.com/ScaryDismalBarasinga.webm, this one is perfect.
It's not our fault people don't believe. We're just showing them as it is.

Sometimes people say CIG haven't delivered anything, that Star Citizen is vaporware, and all that stuff. Yet when they're shown the proof, these people insist it's a ruse/fake/pre-rendered.

I really don't get what these people want :/

Zalusithix

b1BbzUx.jpg

It looks like the wings are swept forward when it's further away. Practically looks like a Reliant (impossible I know) by the time it crashes. The perspective combined with blur and multiple encoding artifacts make solid identification a pain.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah http://giant.gfycat.com/ScaryDismalBarasinga.webm, this one is perfect.
It's not our fault people don't believe. We're just showing them as it is.

Sometimes people say CIG haven't delivered anything, that Star Citizen is vaporware, and all that stuff. Yet when they're shown the proof, these people insist it's a ruse/fake/pre-rendered.

I really don't get what these people want :/

People want to buy the game and play it right now on their own computers, but apparently don't realize that they can buy the game and play it right now on their own computers

Burny

People want to buy the game and play it right now on their own computers, but apparently don't realize that they can buy the game and play it right now on their own computers

Is that accurate? Assuming you buy a plege today containing access to the alphas would you get into the PU 2.0 Alpha? Or is it still a kind of invitational affair with only Arena Commander and the social module playable to all backers with corresponding pledges?

Notwithstanding that the PU 2.0 alpha contains at best a fraction of what the eventual game is promised to be.

Zalusithix

We need a double explosion from two ships colliding. The larger the ships, the better. PTU people, you have your mission!

It would actually take a fair amount of work considering you'd need at least three people with the same goal in the same instance to pull it off.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is that accurate? Assuming you buy a plege today containing access to the alphas would you get into the PU 2.0 Alpha? Or is it still a kind of invitational affair with only Arena Commander and the social module playable to all backers with corresponding pledges?

Notwithstanding that the PU 2.0 alpha contains at best a fraction of what the eventual game is promised to be.

You know what I mean, Burny. Something can be played right now when someone buys the game
once 30 GB of data have been downloaded

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
We need a double explosion from two ships colliding. The larger the ships, the better. PTU people, you have your mission!

It would actually take a fair amount of work considering you'd need at least three people with the same goal in the same instance to pull it off.

Line up 5 or so big ships and supercruise them into a launch platform in quick succession. It'll be a good test for that multi-collision crash they mentioned, heh

Zalusithix

Line up 5 or so big ships and supercruise them into a launch platform in quick succession. It'll be a good test for that multi-collision crash they mentioned, heh

Baby steps! I figured getting two people to crash and explode within an acceptable view distance from a third party doing the capture was enough of a task with all the server issues. Getting a half dozen ships doing something like that will probably require 2.0 to be out to the general public.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Baby steps! I figured getting two people to crash and explode within an acceptable view distance from a third party doing the capture was enough of a task with all the server issues. Getting a half dozen ships doing something like that will probably require 2.0 to be out to the general public.

Should be a bit easier now at least - loaner constellation andromedas were just added for people with the other constellation variants on PTU. https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3v6ecz/psa_conny_now_available_in_ptu_for_people_that/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom