• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKB

I think you're automatically a citizen if you have the game. So I don't if there will be any non-citizen unless that's what they call NPC or something.

Don't you have to serve in the UEE military first before you get the citizenship? At least that's what i remember from the early days of development, i don't know whether CIG changed that or it's still the same.

Don't you have to serve in the UEE military first before you get the citizenship? At least that's what i remember from the early days of development, i don't know whether CIG changed that or it's still the same.

I'm actually not sure but that sounds pretty cool if true.

AngerdX

For now it´s alot better performance but crashes more again, still glorious when it works.

Back to trying some more, sucking at the flying part heh

Kiyoshi

So at the moment I have temporary use of a HOTAS for a unknown period of time (borrowing from a friend). What do i get access to if I buy in at the moment? Which of the two ships are recommended? What is PTU 2.0 that is being mentioned?

KKRT00

So at the moment I have temporary use of a HOTAS for a unknown period of time (borrowing from a friend). What do i get access to if I buy in at the moment? Which of the two ships are recommended? What is PTU 2.0 that is being mentioned?

You get access to everything. Just Buy Aurora pack.
Arena Commander 2.0 is baby PU as we call it, its sandbox that happen in part of one of the system. Basically You have big space station were Your get You ship and around 10 different points in the system were You can fly via Quantum Drive that has some PVE missions.

Rephin

Just to add, until December 14th, even without a pledge package, you can try out Star Citizen for free with access to an Aurora, Mustang, or Gladius (recommended) by just registering an account. See if you like it first before jumping in.

Details here.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Seems like anything related to collision in the constellation is pretty buggy right now. I've been crashing half the time just by getting in the ship (not even the pilot's seat). Frame rates have certainly improved.

Edit: the constellation bugs seem to be crashing the server, so it's pretty rare to make it past one comm station even when flying other ships.

Rephin

Seems like anything related to collision in the constellation is pretty buggy right now. I've been crashing half the time just by getting in the ship (not even the pilot's seat). Frame rates have certainly improved.

Did they fix the bug where if you step towards the rear of the ship you clip through the bottom of it? I didn't spot it in the bugfix list. It was so annoying I started flying the smaller ships again.

Nice to see that the Connie and Tali are both higher hull and shields. They took a fair amount of hits for sure, but not enough for their size, IMO.

Kiyoshi

You get access to everything. Just Buy Aurora pack.
Arena Commander 2.0 is baby PU as we call it, its sandbox that happen in part of one of the system. Basically You have big space station were Your get You ship and around 10 different points in the system were You can fly via Quantum Drive that has some PVE missions.

Just to add, until December 14th, even without a pledge package, you can try out Star Citizen for free with access to an Aurora, Mustang, or Gladius (recommended) by just registering an account. See if you like it first before jumping in.

Details here.

Thanks guys, downloading now.

Sarcasm

So I have access to the PTU? Reading a changelog doesn't help due to only having tried the arena fighting thing before.

elyetis

Finaly decided that I should give a try to the PTU even if there is still bug etc..

I didn't expect to be part of the people with a bug which doesn't even allow you to launch/download the PTU from the launcher.

Well at least Xenoblade Chronicles X should help with the wait.

I am getting better server performance (I have yet to experience constant 20fps problem yet, still the game is killing 1 CPU core). They also changed the indoor lighting at port ollisar to be more dramatic; looks great.
starcitizen_2015_12_0dis0j.png

Zalusithix

Finaly decided that I should give a try to the PTU even if there is still bug etc..

I didn't expect to be part of the people with a bug which doesn't even allow you to launch/download the PTU from the launcher.

Well at least Xenoblade Chronicles X should help with the wait.

XCX is the primary reason I don't care about how buggy the PTU is or how long it'll take it them to get it into a stable form. It'll be live before I'm through with that game for sure.

That said, I still think that the citizen ID system that they're using to determine entrance to it is asinine and hostile towards newer backers. Early backers already have access to a bunch of stretch goal items that later backers don't, along with perks like physical packages. Subscribers get their monthly hanger flair items. Concierge members get fast-tracked CS and priority event invites (well, they're supposed to at any rate). All three "special" groups already have their perks assigned to them. PTU access shouldn't be tied to any of them. If it isn't a metric which has direct impact on the usefulness to the test (bugs filed, play time, etc), it shouldn't be used. Randomize entry if the servers can't handle a free for all. It's the only way to be fair to all backers.

so how did you guys really get into star citizen and start to follow it

did you guys know who Chris Roberts was when this game was first announced, was he already known to have a huge fanbase? or did you just get into it through seeing the game, its ambition etc.?

I knew of Chris Roberts and had played wing commander 3 when I was younger. But I really was too young to understand the significance of the WC series beyond what I read in PC magazines at the time (I am only a youngin' (25)).

I also tangentially was really interested in CryEngine around the time the game went live on the RSI website. When the game was announced, it was simultaneously announced on the Crydev/crymod forums and I was hooked. A PC only game pushing ambitions in technology and interactivity sounded like a game I had been dreaming about: I have always wanted to be a spaceman and explore. Since the announcement I have beat wing commander 1 and wc 2 and am very much so looking forward to the SQ 42 campaign along side the persistent universe stuff.
---

BTW; I just got some terrible server performance (24fps). So scratch what I said about server performance being fine.

Zalusithix

did you guys know who Chris Roberts was when this game was first announced, was he already known to have a huge fanbase? or did you just get into it through seeing the game, its ambition etc.?

Anybody that's old enough to have been a PC gamer in the 90's knows of Chris Roberts and Wing Commander. I could go as far as to say that anybody with any interest in space games should know of the two - even if they weren't around back then. We're talking a massive influence on the genre.

Knowing about him and having grown up playing WC wasn't enough for me to buy in at the very beginning though. The project was massively ambitious from the get go, and I didn't have confidence in him being able to realize it with the limited initial budget. Reality doesn't care who you are or what your background is after all. It wasn't until the funding took off and I was sufficiently satisfied that the game was indeed a possibility that I backed. Most of this was due to knowing that if I did back the game, it would be for quite a bit. I didn't feel like gambling away a decent chunk of money on something I felt was on seriously shaky ground.

Raticus79

I am getting better server performance (I have yet to experience constant 20fps problem yet, still the game is killing 1 CPU core). They also changed the indoor lighting at port ollisar to be more dramatic; looks great.
---
BTW; I just got some terrible server performance (24fps). So scratch what I said about server performance being fine.

I'm able to keep 4k/30 most of the time at the satellites now.
Longest session was this one: https://youtu.be/wQqGrHIr3tk
SSDO and bloom were off for this one - tried to get another video with them back on, but no luck getting that far again afterward.

Oddly, if I go 1080p it only increases to about 40 fps in the same area. Seems to still be really limited by that one core. I tried setting the available allocations to 1-3 but whatever is on core 7 isn't responding to those settings. People are suggesting disabling hyperthreading as a workaround (yuck).

Anybody that's old enough to have been a PC gamer in the 90's knows of Chris Roberts and Wing Commander. I could go as far as to say that anybody with any interest in space games should know of the two - even if they weren't around back then. We're talking a massive influence on the genre.

Knowing about him and having grown up playing WC wasn't enough for me to buy in at the very beginning though. The project was massively ambitious from the get go, and I didn't have confidence in him being able to realize it with the limited initial budget. Reality doesn't care who you are or what your background is after all. It wasn't until the funding took off and I was sufficiently satisfied that the game was indeed a possibility that I backed. Most of this was due to knowing that if I did back the game, it would be for quite a bit. I didn't feel like gambling away a decent chunk of money on something I felt was on seriously shaky ground.

Same here. I also will throw in my love for Star Lancer as well that was a big influence when i saw the artstyle and gameplay they were aiming for.

KKRT00

I knew Chris Roberts, i've watched his GDC presentation and as a former EVE Online player, i knew this will be my new EVE, the EVE for people without time for a second job :)
He had my money on the first day of his campaign.

---
Here is the original campaign thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495065

The highlight of this thread for me is a guy who said that Chris, after being rejected by publishers, should go to Nintendo for backing - lol

Raticus79

Is there a way to remove the Live installation and keep the PTU? Have the game on my SSD for now and I'm a little starved for space.

Yup, just delete the Public folder. Keep a backup copy of the actionmaps.xml from the public/user/profile folder since it has your key bindings.

so how does alpha 2.0 look to you guys?

It is quite a joy when it is not crashing and performing @ 15fps due to server problems. Currently I am playing like a pirate and preying on people after they jump in. I am actively avoiding doing the missions though until the performance and crashing disappears.

It is quite a joy when it is not crashing and performing @ 15fps due to server problems. Currently I am playing like a pirate and preying on people after they jump in. I am actively avoiding doing the missions though until the performance and crashing disappears.

how are the flight mechanics?

how are the flight mechanics?

Have you played Arena Commander?

They are quite similar, barring the fact now that you have greater control over your ship at low speeds due to the inclusion of SCM mode and the boost / afterburner now works in a different manner. Also, I think they added "3rd order motion" as they termed so you may be drifting a bit more at higher speeds. Or at least, I got the feeling I was drifting more.

Over all, I find the flight mechanics good, although my ship generally does not last long in most dog fights (mustang beta) to get the best sense of it always.

Zalusithix

Currently I am playing like a pirate and preying on people after they jump in. I am actively avoiding doing the missions though until the performance and crashing disappears.

And then when the performance improves and you attempt the missions, all those folk you preyed on will be targeting you whilst you're EVAing ;)

Have you played Arena Commander?

They are quite similar, barring the fact now that you have greater control over your ship at low speeds due to the inclusion of SCM mode and the boost / afterburner now works in a different manner. Also, I think they added "3rd order motion" as they termed so you may be drifting a bit more at higher speeds. Or at least, I got the feeling I was drifting more.

Over all, I find the flight mechanics good, although my ship generally does not last long in most dog fights (mustang beta) to get the best sense of it always.

no im not playing any of the beta stuff...ill wait till squad 42 hits.. i want to go in semi blind

Patrick S.

Banned
I just got the game the other day, and I really would like to give this PTU stuff a go. Is there any way to try this out with a brand new account?

tuxfool

Banned
I just got the game the other day, and I really would like to give this PTU stuff a go. Is there any way to try this out with a brand new account?

Afraid not. They're expanding based on join date. they're at 220k people now. Just wait a week or two and it should hit Live. For now, if you're so inclined, you can get yourself going with 1.3.

Has RSI changed their update download method to actually patches? I stopped downloading the game because it was like downloading the game again and again (20+gb every update).

Afraid not. They're expanding based on join date. they're at 220k people now. Just wait a week or two and it should hit Live. For now, if you're so inclined, you can get yourself going with 1.3.

Can't you also use the method posted on reddit to get the PTU build and play on a private server on your machine?
so i expect huge graphics debates will go down in gaf next year between Uncharted 4 and Star Citizen

Probably, but it would be silly as well as being one-sided.

Star Citizen / Squadron 42s graphical ceiling have no affect on the fact that Uncharted 4 will be a very good looking console game. That of course does not stop the stuff that happens everytime there is a new SC thread though. lol

I surprisingly got 2 hour play time in the PTU today. Spent some time camping the FPS point with another citizen. Got some awesome footage :D and screens. [/dawns mask] But sadly, I could not enjoy my time in the game admiring its graphics or gameplay systems. PC games lack artisanry and attention to detail and are only brute forced. :( Only if it was made with 1.84 TF GPU: then it would be really spectacular!

Only if they didn't brute force the attention to detail where you can even see the character shadow's micro recoil and the 1:1 animation set :(
http://webm.host/bbdf4/vid.webm

Why do the shadows have an umbra and a penumbra? Why does the motion blur show no visible banding artifacts? Probably because they brute forced it :(
starcitizen_2015_12_052s81.png

UGH. Just look at all that brute forced texture detail filling up 8 GB of VRAM. I bet it only looks that high-res because they spent no time thinking about how it should look and how they can wisely allocate it. 2160p downsampled images just look too crisp. Real life doesn't look like that.
starcitizen_2015_12_0vks1u.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom