• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think they should have gotten people to submit clips for the trailer. There's much better footage out there than what they went with.

jaaz

"Playable now in Alpha 2.0" Um, no it isn't, unless you registered like 3 years ago or whatever. I didn't, did pledge a good amount of cash to the project, but still can't play.

These are the things that drive me crazy about CIG. If you want to limit invites to the PTU to whoever sent you their e-mail 3 years ago, fine, if Alpha 2.0 needs more time, fine, but don't misrepresent to hundreds of thousands of people that they can play Alpha 2.0 now. Edit 3 seconds out of the trailer for God's sake. As it is, you're just pissing newcomers off when they go to your site, buy a package, and realize they can't do any of that cool stuff in the trailer until CIG gets around to fixing 3 pages of bugs.

Raticus79

"Playable now in Alpha 2.0" Um, no it isn't, unless you registered like 3 years ago or whatever. I didn't, did pledge a good amount of cash to the project, but still can't play.

These are the things that drive me crazy about CIG. If you want to limit invites to the PTU to whoever sent you their e-mail 3 years ago, fine, if Alpha 2.0 needs more time, fine, but don't misrepresent to hundreds of thousands of people that they can play Alpha 2.0 now. Edit 3 seconds out of the trailer for God's sake. As it is, you're just pissing newcomers off when they go to your site, buy a package, and realize they can't do any of that cool stuff in the trailer until CIG gets around to fixing 3 pages of bugs.

Yup, they'll get some deserved heat for that one. Fine, the video was prepared early and 2.0 wasn't ready as expected - they could edit that part out like you said.

Guess they could just open up PTU access to everyone to cover their butts.

Shy

I pledged and have alpha access, but i can't play 2.0 yet. :(

Well technically everything they showed is "Playable in Alpha 2.0" it's just you might not have access to it, doesn't change the fact that it's playable. I will not be taking anymore questions about my client regarding this matter.

tuxfool

Banned
Ultimately these small screwups occur because their marketing and PR isn't a big operation. They don't have the scores of eyes to vet every single thing, catch every messaging problem.

Would people really want them to become the impregnable fortresses like EA or Activision?

Raticus79

Saw a good suggestion on reddit - they should add an official offline mode for Crusader 2.0. Satisfies that playability requirement and gives them more time to resolve the server-related perfomance issues.

Zabojnik

I know I sound like I'm defending CIG every time something like this happens and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I just can't fathom caring so much about minor stuff like this.

jaaz

I am fine with waiting to play Alpha 2.0, even though I feel I should have gotten an invite by now. I really don't want to crash 47 times in a hour or suffer through single digit FPS.

However, I don't think this is a such a minor thing when it comes to new players. Just take a look at the RSI website right now. There's the big Alpha Trailer 2.0 at the top (the one that ends with "Playable now on Alpha 2.0"), and a big "Play Now" button right under it which takes you to a page where you can buy an Aurora or Mustang package. 99% of the new players buying these packages are going to assume they can play Alpha 2.0 "now", not two weeks from now or whenever. It's hardly the best way to introduce the game to new players / pledgees.

I'm a cynic, so I'll be blunt: I think they left it in on purpose to help them get to the $100 million stretch goal as soon as possible, through new player pledges. Though I do think Alpha 2.0 will be coming to live sooner than we think, they've pretty much backed themselves into a corner with that trailer.

Zalusithix

Hmph, I was expecting there to be a bit of a funding jump with the show - pretty much unchanged.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals (hourly)

That sort of trailer wasn't the type that was going to get many people on board that weren't already. Anybody that was on board has seen more impressive footage from the community, and already drained their wallets during the last sale anyhow. It's probably for the best, as making money off new people not knowing about the 2.0 situation isn't really ideal.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm a cynic, so I'll be blunt: I think they left it in on purpose to help them get to the $100 million stretch goal as soon as possible, through new player pledges. Though I do think Alpha 2.0 will be coming to live sooner than we think, they've pretty much backed themselves into a corner with that trailer.

They really don't need to reach that goal any time soon. They'll reach it when they reach it and it will happen, at this point what is 500k? New players on starter packages don't actually bring in that much revenue comparatively.

Just took a look at some of the items I can buy with UEC and holy hell.. $18 for a ship weapon? It has to be equipped every time you log into the game and $15 for a golf cart.. For that amount give me a tank.

Does anyone know if any of the below is in the works?

I'd like the ability to customize the interior of a ship (swap out seat, stick, lights) so it actually feels like I'm in something "new"
Add different and new vehicles like exploration, trade, heavy combat/transport
More hangars

GKB

Just took a look at some of the items I can buy with UEC and holy hell.. $18 for a ship weapon? It has to be equipped every time you log into the game and $15 for a golf cart.. For that amount give me a tank.

Does anyone know if any of the below is in the works?

I'd like the ability to customize the interior of a ship (swap out seat, stick, lights) so it actually feels like I'm in something "new"
More hangars

I don't know about hangars and ground vehicles, but i'm sure ship customization is something they're working on. After all, it is part of previous stretch goal.

Burny

Considering CIG is still in the process of laying down Star Citizen's groundwork - stay away from that stuff unless you consider it a good backing deed for the project. Same goes for the current .jpeg ship sales (concept that is).

Balance and even usefulness for all that stuff is up in the air until the game comes together at some point. Currently it does little more than give your pledge a bit of flavor.

Zalusithix

More hangars
Star Citizen is already extremely diverse when it comes to having different ships if that's what you mean by vehicles. Also has four different hanger types that will be able to be decorated to your preference. Customization wise the ships have been getting modular components to aid in role diversification that change the internal design. I doubt you'll see minor stuff like stick changes any time soon as that stuff is already customized for every different ship as it is.

Basically, SC is already strong in those areas so I find it strange you want even more.

GKB

It's just me? Or this game look way more interesting, immersive and alive than No Man Sky?

Well, one is hand-crafted and the other is procedurally generated. So it wouldn't surprise me if one looks more alive :p

Anyway, it's not just you.

tuxfool

Banned
I like both. I very much appreciate the concept of what NMS is trying to do and I know I'll enjoy it, but I appreciate the more Space Opera vibe going on with SC, along with its more solid feeling concepts in lore, even if the universe isn't as expansive.

Despite what people say NMS definitely looks like it skews much more to the Elite, but with more encounter variety. You explore, gather resources, fight some stuff, upgrade your stuff and then explore some more. Elite in is various incarnations has never appealed to me, I find it a bit dry. I've always liked the Xwing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander and Freespace approach.

Burny

It's just me? Or this game look way more interesting, immersive and alive than No Man Sky?

Depends very much into what you are. Even when Star Citizen is finished, you are unlikely to scratch the "explore the unknown" scratch with it. And definitely not the land-anywhere-on-a-planet-and-go-exploring scratch. It's also unlikely to have you hunted by an angry space-goat. ;-)

On the other hand, practically all it's flying/running/driving mechanics as well as its vehicles won't be as abstracted as in NMS, so if that's what you're after, you'll get a lot more mileage out of SC.

Edit: Also, in terms of NPC activity outside of the ship, I would argue that SC is pretty far away from what NMS has shown. That is because Space Station NPCs are not really active yet. Maybe that will change when there are NPC contacts to interact with.

SmartBase

I see NMS being more akin to a cross between Elite and Space Engineers with its small and deformable planets.

I like both. I very much appreciate the concept of what NMS is trying to do and I know I'll enjoy it, but I appreciate the more Space Opera vibe going on with SC, along with its more solid feeling concepts in lore, even if the universe isn't as expansive.

Despite what people say NMS definitely looks like it skews much more to the Elite, but with more encounter variety. You explore, gather resources, fight some stuff, upgrade your stuff and then explore some more. Elite in is various incarnations has never appealed to me, I find it a bit dry. I've always liked the Xwing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander and Freespace approach.

That's putting it mildly, Elite's drier than the fucking Gobi desert. It's foundations are solid, but it's bone dry.

RK9039

Well, I've personally always felt that way. It's doing so many things at such a high level, but that's not to say I'm not interested in NMS as well, I just have my expectations lower for that game.

Raticus79

That whole video is some exciting shit, haha

"Please tell me you did that in the name of satire", ha

I'm sure there are situations where repeating three times is a good practice (noise, bad comms, distractions) but it's a bit overkill for that scenario. Guess they're probably used to it.

starcitizen_2015_12_0tis7k.png

Llyranor

I'm ambivalent about this game. I want to believe, but there's been some development controversy and it's hard to tell how things have actually been going. I'd be feeling less dread if I hadn't invested so much money into it (I have a Constellation LTI and a Super-Hornet LTI). Are refunds still being processed? Otherwise, is it legit to sell ships just to break even?

I guess I should have been trying the PTU 2.0 all this time and see if it calms my dread. On my account it says: "Period: November 19th 2015 - December 4th 2015" Does this mean the PTU is actually ending today?

That squad video above does look cool, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom