• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

Is there a single player campaign component to this?
What do you mean?
In Star Citizen? Not yet. But there is supposed to be one coming in the future. It's called Squadron 42.
In Arena Commander? Obviously not, since this is specifically the multiplayer dogfight module.

Faith

Loading Dying Star (free flight) takes forever! Even with my SSD. Is that normal? I'm still waiting.

Spineker

Banned
I'm downloading. It's gonna take forever. RSI's download servers are nothing to be impressed about but I guess that isn't surprising.

What do you mean?
In Star Citizen? Not yet. But there is supposed to be one coming in the future. It's called Squadron 42.
In Arena Commander? Obviously not, since this is specifically the multiplayer dogfight module.
There is a singleplayer free roam mode and survival mode.
Watching this steam and they said the maps were not loaded or something and that CIG is going to hot fix it.
Explains why the maps aren't loading.

"Loading Dying Star (free flight) takes forever! Even with my SSD. Is that normal? I'm still waiting."

As I mentioned earlier, there's an infinite loading bug, currently.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What do you mean?

There is actually a single player component.
You can either try the free flight mode or the horde mode.

Okay. Sounds like the single player component is still in the early phases. I'll wait until the game is finished and comes out.

Sentenza

There is actually a single player component.
You can either try the free flight mode or the horde mode.
Well, he asked specifically about a single player campaign.
That said, I wasn't aware any form of single player was included at the moment, beside the [cool but mostly pointless] hangar mode.

Why did you avatar quote me? I think it flew over my head.
Your avatar looks like a confused/surprised cat. Perhaps not? :p
Is there a single player campaign component to this?
Arena Commander Module has a single player component. Both a free flight mode and a swarm mode (horde mode) with AI friends. This will be expanded to coop if you have multiplayer access.

Star Citizen (the larger game from which this module originates) has a Single Player campaign called Squadron 42. That is not out yet.

"Any workaround?"

None. It's a confirmed bug on the forums, I haven't seen an official explanation for it, but apparently it's being hotfixed?

MrBig

"Any workaround?"

None. It's a confirmed bug on the forums, I haven't seen an official explanation for it, but apparently it's being hotfixed?

From what I gather from Travis's comments, the patcher isn't pushing the map files that tell the game what to do with all the AC content, but the builds actual content is functioning.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Man, every time I see screenshots of this I start mentally adding PC components to a shopping basket but then I read about the issues everyone is having and I have to stop myself.

Think I'll wait until next year and buy something that can really do the game justice and hopefully be playing a stable product.

MrBig

Got it patched and running a while ago, found two auroras in the hangar, neither of which were my LX. Saving putting on the helmet and admiring the PBS materials (f.lux is on) until the morning. That dinky discount hangar sure is feeling spacious with all the new stuff in there.

ASTROID2

From Ben:
Hey guys! I've updated the top of Chris' post with this information, but I figured I'd include it here as well: we're aware of the issue preventing users from loading the Arena Commander portion of the game. The QA team has been working the problem and has identified the cause: the CDN failing to serve several key map files to regular users. We are working on a solution now!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/136968/arena-commander-lockup-issue-solution-in-progress#latest

3hxxGG0.png

They forgot to include the maps in the game. Good times.

CTLance

Missing maps, huh.

Hope they get this fixed until I get home tonight.

Still, kinda hilarious. Imagine that desk->face moment when they figured out why everyone got stuck at the loading screen. "Weeks of bug hunting and QA, just to be stopped by THIS!?"

Working now. Looks great. Runs surprisingly well on Very High on my i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz and GTX 780, but I will probably still drop down to High.

Now to get this control scheme sorted...

red731

Depending on how it will feel when I get home, download it and play it on gamepad, I will begin joystick hunt.

Love my new 300i. As said previously, I hope RSI lets me keep it.
14340375471_7f38b19bbb_b.jpg

As for performance:
3570k @ 4.2
GTX 780 Stock Cooler
16GB Ram
Mechanical Drive
Games running at a locked 60 FPS @ 1080p on Very High.

Opted to use a 360 controller because the mouse and keyboard felt off. Much better. May need to dig out the old flight stick and see what I can do.

Sentenza

I'm very curious to hear some feedback about controls. People, share!
But that's just if you are using a flight stick. Not really interested in how the other options work.

So far my joystick is working fine after doing some finagling and rearranging in the CH Control Manager. Still need in-game button reconfiguration so I can actually map everything in some place reasonable, but the joystick/throttle work nice and smooth, no problems. Right now all the weapons are Class 2 (on the 300i) and gimballed with autoaim, but "activating" auto aim requires you to keep the cursor *on* the target, so it's not that bad. Would still like my for-realz Class-1 weapons with no auto-aim, though.

Daedardus

Man, every time I see screenshots of this I start mentally adding PC components to a shopping basket but then I read about the issues everyone is having and I have to stop myself.

Think I'll wait until next year and buy something that can really do the game justice and hopefully be playing a stable product.

That's what I'll be doing. Will definitely wait for Broadwell (or Skylake if that's not too late after that) to release. I'll need that CPU power for Dolphin, too.

Took me about 5 mins to figure out controls on 360 controller, loving it.

Flew around with a couple other guys picking off enemies. Crashed into one and blew up.

Yup, full release of this thing will be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom